Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 06:06:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question that's been asked before  (Read 25303 times)
DonJon
« on: December 20, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

And now I need the answer, but I can't find the message I saw it in.

How do you write the address on a letter to someone in Russia?

I know the English address, but I also think someone said to also put the Cyrillic address too.  Would that be the same format as in

name
street
city
county  

Huh

Thanks in advance!

WilliamMGi
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A question that's been asked before, posted by DonJon on Dec 20, 2001

Writing the address in english, even in US format, seems to work just fine for delivery within the major cities.  Remember to write the country name boldly at the bottom.  A few years ago, delivery seemed slow and uncertain, but during the past two years, I've had items delivered in StP less than a week after I deposit them at the P.O.  

I've been advised by my neighborhood postal clerk (a naturalized citizen from Sochi (sp?)) that, while mail might be delivered a little more quickly if you address it in russian format, you should avoid using the cyrillic alphabet unless you have a prepared label or can print the address clearly and correctly.

RW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A question that's been asked before, posted by DonJon on Dec 20, 2001

Type address in English. The format does not really matter.
Sometimes I write everything in Russian except for the country name, but in most cases I write address in English. That just makes more sense to me - the letter has to leave this country in the first place.  

Russian Wife

John F
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

The mail will be delivered by a postal carrier, just as we have in the US......... Do you think YOUR postal carrier could deliver a letter to you if it was addressed in Russian or Ukrainian Huh?

I always wrote my return address in English so it would be returned properly if necessary, but the recipientient's address in Russian, printed with my computer printer..... In English, just below and to the right of the postal code I wrote, in red letters and in English "UKRAINE".  That way the USPS sent it to the proper country and once there the Cryllic was most beneficial.

My wife uses the same system when writing to her family.

John

BubbaGump
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Just consider this ......, posted by John F on Dec 21, 2001

The women seem to write the addresses a couple of different ways.  They usually put their name at the bottom but some put it at the top.  What I do is use my scanner to scan in their address exactly as they wrote it.  I paste it into MS Word as an image and scale it to the desired size.  If it's not clear I trace over it or edit the image.  I put the country name in English under the address image.  

If you recognize the letters properly, you can go to the a translation web site and use the electronic keyboard to type in the letters.  Then copy and paste in a cyrillic format to Word.  I haven't tried this with Word but it worked for emails.

LP
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Do it John's way, posted by BubbaGump on Dec 21, 2001

...I do it. I write the address in Cyrillic and put the country in English so our guys can get it on it's way.

One other caution: If the return address shows USA or you use US stamps, you run a risk of having it "inspected" over there.

I know a guy who has developed a game to see how he can get cash by them. He's yet to be successful.

He's used aluminum foil, cardboard, everything he can think of. The 5 or 10 bucks he plays this game with has *never* gotten through. Can't figure out how they do it, unless they open every one from the US.

BrianN
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

in Cyrillic.  Do it that way.

Previous post mentioned that it's reversed... it's true.

But be sure, that when you include your return address, that it's the correct format also.

Be sure, that the return is done in USA format.

It's not a big deal.  Just comply with the foreign postal system, (you want it to get there right?), as she should conform to the system here.

So, if you write the russian address in reverse, and in cyrillic, and you take it to the post office to send it out, of course the lady behind the counter can't read the writing.  What you do is, write the word "Russia", in english, just above the cyrillic address.

It works.  Remember, you don't want to "buck" the russian system, you simply want to get along with it.

odeccaman1
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Learn to write it.., posted by BrianN on Dec 21, 2001

The Russian  language when  hand  written  is  very  rarely  printed (except  perhaps  by  foreigners)    it  is  written  in  script.  If  BrianN  has  learned  to  write  legibly  in  Russian script  I find  that  commendable  as  it  takes  alot  of  practice.  I  have  little  problem  reading  a  Russian  newspaper  or  journal  but  still  struggle  to  read  my  hand  written check  at  the  local   restaurant  as  many  letters are  entirely  different  in  script  style.  Again  use  a  printer  for  Cyrillic  or  just  write  it  in  the  Roman  alphabet.
BrianN
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Not Recommended :  Writing Cyrillic  By ..., posted by odeccaman1 on Dec 21, 2001

My handwritten cyrillic, block letters, is virtually perfect, and it always gets through with no problem.

(Lady's also very impressed with it too).

tim360z
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Not Recommended :  Writing Cyrillic  By ..., posted by odeccaman1 on Dec 21, 2001

I have sent about 30 letters and small packages to Ukraine by printing in Cyrillic and have not yet had a problem,  the mail gets through...but slowly sometimes
odeccaman1
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

opposite the western way.

zip code  country  city
address
apt # (if any)
recipient's name

If you are using a printer do it in Cyrillic  if not
you are likely to confuse postal person
just do it in Roman alphabet

Jack
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

DonJ,

Send name, then the street, with the building number and then the flat number, then the city followed by zip code and then the country.

It would be better to write the address in Russian if you can and I would always recommend to send these letters registered.

If you can, send the letters from Ukraine or Russia, you have several options with companies, individuals or agencies who you could send your letter. Have them send the letter, translated if possiable, and registered. It will improve the chances of your letter getting to her.

If you want to stand out, have your letter hand delivered with a single, red, long stem rose.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: