Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 06:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bear Finds Honey in Davao: Follow-up  (Read 10652 times)
Bear
« on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

It’s been a few weeks since I returned.  So I though maybe it was time for a follow up.

The jet lag did not hit me until Thursday of the first week, I got back on a Monday 13 hours late.  I was 40 minutes late for work when the plane touched down at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston and that was 7 hours sooner than what American Airlines had set up for because of delays by PAL.  I still do not understand most of what I hear in Tagolic (sp) and I can’t speak more than a dozen words (I can count to 9 - hehehehe) but I think several of us over heard that our 747 had been struck by lightening.  PAL would not confirm it.  Instead they kept delaying our flight 2 hours, every 2 hours, until another 747 flew in from Los Angeles 14 hours later.   They, American Airlines, was going to have me sleep in the international terminal in L.A. and not have me leave until 8 AM (LA time) when I had arrived at 8PM.  I managed to get enough money together to get my flight adjusted through DFW then Houston.  I could not sleep at all on the flight.  Just too many things to think about.  The jet lag really tore me up too.  I think I didn’t understand jet lag until then.  I was sleeping all day and staying up all night, even when I stayed up all day.  About Thursday of the second week I remembered the sleep aide and took it.  Within 2 days I was back to normal.  If you call this normal?

The third week is when the depression set in.  I really started missing Honey bad.  I think twice now I have headed to purchase tickets to fly back and was able to convince myself that it would serve no purpose to move back there.  I’ve already checked out the job market in the Philippines and without some investment capital it would be a fast road to poverty.  I have also applied at a few jobs in Australia and I believe they really want me at two but they will provide no assistance to relocate.  Of course Honey says that she would work but I think that would be the same situation most Filipinas end up in.  The woman works and the man stays at home and/or becomes a bum.

On communication the webcam didn’t work to well at first.  We tried Microsoft Meeting and never got it to function at all.  Then we tried a program called “Eyeball” which worked somewhat but still inconsistently and not very well when it did.  Finally I found PalTalk.  Excellent program!  Very easy to use and configure.  We chat/talk/see each other from 4AM till 6AM and then again from 3PM till when ever she needs to leave to do something.  Thank God for technology!  I have to admit that seeing that smiling, happy face when I leave for work really makes my day so much better.

Marissa webcam transmission wasn’t too good at first.  I though it was the light so I asked her to purchase more watt-age but it turned out that all she had to do was set the PalTalk parameters to “default” and the picture came in great!!.  Isn’t she so smart!  I think when I saw that golden skin, long beautiful hair and her smile was when I first tried to purchase tickets back.  I guess I must be pretty stupid.  I really didn’t think I would miss her that bad.  Now I see that I think about her all day long, even at work like I am now.  LOL – oh hi boss!

The “crabs” at the college got a big surprise from me.  I wrote a letter complaining about the treatment that she had received because of her decision to drop out of the college scholarship program to marry me.  They selectively then decided to charge her for her first year of the program.  Honey had researched the program and found that no one has ever been charged for dropping out – not ever.  She was the first.  Then she went over their heads to the president of the college who “forgave” the debt.  The scholarship program administrator, one of Honey’s nemeses, said it didn’t matter and billed her any way.  Even signed the president’s permission to the bill.  This forced me to use some of my trip money to cover her college expenses so that she could take finals.   So I wrote a letter complaining about every bad thing Honey had ever said about that place.  The hours and days she had to work – including Sundays. Treatment differences between men/women in the program, the sexual harassment, the numerous teachers and students that came to her, in committees, begging her not to pay the bill so that if they dropped out they would not have to either.  I mean, I came down hard and then demanded that they repair the character assassination they had committed, and if they were to bill her for the tuition then they should pay her for the hours she worked as well- including overtime since she was there 14-16 hours/day.  To top the whole thing off, I sent copies to the scholarship committee, the president of the college and the Archbishop of the Catholic Diocese of Davao.  I also told them that they will refer all questions to me and not to my wife.  One of Marissa’s teachers said she is now the “star” of the campus.  Still I am not naďve enough to think we’ll win but I am enjoying it.

Honestly, I do not think I would have even bothered if it hadn’t made Honey cry.  She had worked so hard for her cum laude position and they were systematically taking it awake from her by refusing to let her take finals.  Then letting her make them up at a lower grade.  I had to act.  I tried to explain to Honey that the degree she would get here in the States would work there and the one she got there probably would help her here but she still wanted to accomplish this on her own.  I am very proud of her for that.  She has the highest grade on any entrance exam to that college and is the top of her class in almost every course.  Still I think she would be better off visiting with family and friends in lieu of her eminent immigration and the fact that I am unsure of how often we will get to return and when.

One of the male scholars, who had made life pretty miserable for her before I made it to Davao, apologized and stayed hidden while I was there.  I think he knew I wasn’t going to be too pleasant for his treatment of her.  But since then he has actually been very helpful since Honey “save his life from a Bear”.

I made a lot of mistakes in the immigration planning stages.  I took the G-325A form with me then forgot to get her to fill it out and bring it back with me to the states.  We corrected that real quick but then in filling out the forms I noticed that the “passport photos” where not with the “right ear” showing.  So I had to have her retake the pictures and send them again so that once we apply everything will be correct.  It would be nice if there was someplace listing steps that we can follow, a checklist of sorts to prevent these delays.

I bought a cute “sexy” outfit while in Davao for Marissa but she refused to wear it.  Oh well.  Then she sent me the pictures from the last roll of film from our honeymoon.  She modeled that outfit for me – Gosshh!.  Ya know?  I think that’s when I started missing her.  It’s all her fault – right.  Just teasing Honey!  LOL

I have spent a lot more time with other Fil-Am couples since coming home.  Setting up a network of support for Marissa to help her with any problems that will come up such as homesickness, friendships and where to find things she is accustom too.  It is really amazing how many there are out there who are not members of Planet-Love or Mag-Anak.  I think living in Houston is a big plus too because there are really quite a few Asians here.   I think that by time she gets her there will be lots of people who will welcome her and lots of things to make her feel at home.

Hey guys tell your Filipinas “Ganda ganda mo” (sounds like it looks and the last word pronounced “mall”).  It means, “You are very, very pretty” just like “gwapo gwapo mo” means, “very, very handsome”.  I learned it from a Filipino radio station.

Bear

SteveG
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Bear Finds Honey in Davao: Follow-up, posted by Bear on Feb 4, 2001

Art,
 I know that wait after leaving the Philippines can get long!  After Melly and myself had been married, while she was still waiting for her VISA, I was looking for just about any excuse to go back and see her.  Phone access was so difficult for her that we only talked to each other every month or two and had to depend mainly on letters for communication.  I had no idea how long the VISA would take and kept expecting it at any time as the months drug by slowly.  After approximately 8 months, when I learned about the then new requirement to go to Cebu for fingerprinting, I first sent her some money for plane tickets and then decided to take the opportunity to fly over and go with her.   Besides I worried about her traveling so far by herself.  Ten months had passed since we saw each other before I went back for the fingerprinting appointment.   That's a long time to be separated!!!

As luck would have it after waiting so long for the VISA, I was back in the US a month at most when we found out that her Interview in Manila was coming up in two weeks so there was another expensive plane ticket to buy!  (Remember I live on the eastern side of the country and tickets are much higher for Asia than the west coast.)

Hang in there,
                            SteveG

Dave H
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Bear Finds Honey in Davao: Follow-up, posted by Bear on Feb 4, 2001

Hi Art,

What did I tell you about the "hardest" part?...Being separated from her! Shocked(  Don't worry it does get easier, but sometimes it is still very tough. I may be going back in summer, unless things go quickly. We've been separated for 3 months as of today.

Good Luck!

Dave H.

tito
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Art,

I have read your reports and am happy for you and your Mrs.
I hope your paperwork goes thru quickly and you two are reunited.

One thing that has troubled me in your posts is your take on Filipnos.Notice the "o" so I am refering to the men.In an earlier post you stated something to the effect that MOST men don't work.Now in this post you state if you moved to Australia and Marissa worked she would end up in the situation of Most Filipina women.The woman works and the man stays at home and/or becomes a bum.Art, both these statements are nonsense.Did you see who was driving the jeepneys when you were there?Who was working the fields and working with the carabao?Who maintained your plane?I mean, seriously, the list is endless of the jobs men do over there.For every man who drinks beer,gambles and has a mistress I would say there are three who don't.Does Honey have a father?Brothers?Male cousins?When you were there it was probably hard to break away from Honey but did you meet any Filipinos.Talk with the guys.Make any buddies.I think to understand the country as whole you shouldn't make blanket statements that discount Filipinos as non workers and/or bums.I have known many Filipno men who were hardworking,God fearing,simple men who thought of family first and worked their fingers to the bone to provide under difficult circumstances.That is why their Filipinas loved them so much.Believe it or not many Filipinas would never marry a foreigner and many,many women are happily married.Lets not forget this is a country of 70 million people.Don't judge a whole group of men if you only know a fraction of the population.

Regards,

tito

Bear
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: A Bear Finds Honey in Davao: Follow-..., posted by tito on Feb 4, 2001

okay i will admit not all are bums
but i will say the women keep the country on its feet and viable.

Bear

tito
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: A Bear Finds Honey in Davao: Fol..., posted by Bear on Feb 4, 2001

Could you expound on that second sentence there,Art.Just exactly what does that mean?I still sense some hostility/dislike towards the men of the RP.The country is about its people-both men and women.You didn't just marry into her family.You also married her country.I have seen Fil/AM marriages get into trouble because the Kano would just as soon forget about the RP and not go back there.Once the "bloom is off the rose" Filipinas don't like guys dissing their country-that includes the men.Many things can sow discord in a Fil/Am marriage but it is always helpful if the guys respect the RP and its people-all of them.Also a desire to travel there and keep himself involved with her family and friends is important.

Regards,

tito

cc
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: A Bear Finds Honey in Davao:..., posted by tito on Feb 4, 2001

Thanks Tito for defending the Filipinos, and I think you are completely correct! Unemployment is very high in the Philippines and that's what might give some the impression that most guys are "bums". I know that this is not true.

PS: Bear, Good luck to you and your wife - hope the papers will push through soon!

Bear
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: A Bear Finds Honey in Davao:..., posted by tito on Feb 4, 2001

I think Filipinos get the shaft in a lot of ways.

Mostly in the fact that if they do not have a career by 35 they usually become the "bums" I mentioned.  That is in my opinion caused by two things.  No major industry in the country because it is primarially agriculturely based and secondly there are no labor unions protecting their rights.  Well, I guess you should also throw in that so much labor is exported and it is hard to use a labor union to protect jobs in other countries.

I think it irks me that the men do nothing about this.  I will not lie and say that I know what to do but I would be fighting mad if someone tried to put me out to pasture at 35 and hired some "cute" chick to replace me.  2nd Thing that irks me is they willingly live off the women in this situation, true its because they do not have work but then so many cheat on the women while they are doing it.

So I think it is not all the mens fault but most do not seem to care if they do anything about it, in fact many try to benefit from the situation.

Bear

tito
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No dislike at all, posted by Bear on Feb 4, 2001

I'm not sure I follow you about being put out to pasture at 35 and your career over.Most jobs aren't white color so if you have been working at the nail factory for ten years they don't push you out at 35.

Anyway, you are still making blanket statements."But then so many cheat on the women while they are doing it"Art, how many cases of guys cheating on women do you PERSONALLY know of?My guess is that the incedence of infidelity in the RP might even be lower than here.That is because of the generally conservative nature of the Filipina.Afterall, these guys aren't cheating with  other guys,right?

Look, the whole point of my posts are to get the point across that you seem to paint a wide swath with your brush.
I also get "irked" when guys start with the AW stuff and paint all women here as witches.Half truths bother me!

Regards,

tito

Bear
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: No dislike at all, posted by tito on Feb 4, 2001

I can name a few.

Bear

Cecil
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No dislike at all, posted by Bear on Feb 4, 2001

What burns me up is when papa is willing to send his daughter to Hong Kong to work as a virtual slave to send back money to support the family.  Why not take away papa's San Miguel and haul his butt to Hong Kong to work 16 hours a day to support a family which he created.  If we did this we would soon see many changes in the OCW situation IMHO.

CECIL

shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: No dislike at all, posted by Cecil on Feb 4, 2001

but not something that is going to happen in the near future. Once again, no two families are alike, but sadly this scenerio does happen. Larry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: