Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 02:50:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barranquilla Carnival  (Read 22277 times)
harleyman
« on: January 08, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

Have any of you guys been to Barranquilla the week of the carnival?
A friend whose wife is from Barranquilla is trying to talk me into meeting them for the carnival.
I will be in Cali and Bogota the month of Feb. and was wondering if it would be worth taking a week and flying up to Barranqilla?
Any experiences?
jediknight
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Barranquilla Carnival, posted by harleyman on Jan 8, 2006

i've never been but my fiance is from barranquilla and says its a load of fun. jaime attended last year and posted a very informative account.
http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/search/searchdisplay.php?page=latin&archive=000238&id=73741&bold[]=carnival

http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/search/searchdisplay.php?page=latin&archive=000268&id=82435&bold[]=carnival

zack
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Barranquilla Carnival, posted by jediknight on Jan 9, 2006

I attended the carnival last year and I ditto Jamie's comments. Just be sure to get there at least one hour early if you want a good seat because the crowd will be huge.
Gator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Barranquilla Carnival, posted by harleyman on Jan 8, 2006

If you decide NOW is the time to firm up plans.  Very crowded.  Principal dates this year are 25-28 February 2006 though some festival activities start a couple of week before those dates. As I said a LOT of people and you had better bring your dancing shoes. I would wear some old clothes as it is considered great fun to run around shoot people, especially gringos, with water guns filled with....you really don't want to know. Next to Rio's probably the best and biggest in South America.

If your Spanish is up to it here is the official carnival site: http://www.carnavaldebarranquilla.org/2005/home.php

nocomment
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Barranquilla Carnival, posted by Gator on Jan 9, 2006

The water pistols that the revelers use to shoot gringos... don't tell me they're filled with urine. That would piss me off.
zack
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Don't tell me it's urine, posted by nocomment on Jan 10, 2006

They are not filled with urine, at least none that I have seen.  Anyone who did so would be a fool because spraying urine into an intoxicated crowd would lead to a huge fight.

Something similar to that happenned last year. A latina who was sitting next to me was repeatdly sprayed with foam despite her assertions to stop. Her boyfriend didn't take to kindly to this and a big physical fight ensued. Imagine what would have happened if urine was sprayed instead of foam.

Gator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Don't tell me it's urine, posted by zack on Jan 10, 2006

Nope, but I have seen used motor oil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: