Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 28, 2024, 11:40:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roomate robbed at gunpoint in taxi  (Read 37710 times)
Pete E
« on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

Last night my roomate Charles flagged a taxi on Avenida Sexta.As they started up the hill close to my place the driver acted like the car stalled,then two guys from a taxi behing jumped in,one had a gun.Charles had about 50,000 cash and a credit card.They wanted the PIN for the credit card,he trully didn't know it,he never does cash advances with it.They didn't believe him and got threatening.
He told them I have another card in the apartmentI do know the PIN for.I get this call from Charles,please bring the card down to the lobby.A taxi showed up,backed in and a uy asked for the card.The only legitimate excuse was he was at a restaurant and his card wouldn't work,he didn't say that.I went ahead and handed the guy the card through a little window.The guard got the taxi number.
I came back up,Beatriz asked me what happened.I told her Charles ewither needed to pay a restaurant of he got sequestered.About 10 miniutes we get a call from his girl friend.She said they had him at gunpoint in a taxi  and dumped her out.
Beatriz called the Police,we alerted the guard at the front door.About 45  miniutes Charles shows up,just about the time the police get here.They probably had him about an hour and 15 miniutes total.He said they drove to several ATM's before the carde would work,but then they seemed happy,stopped and bought cokes and offered him one.They mentioned hitting the card again after 12PM.I guess it has a $300 limit so the max the could get was $600.But 4 50,000 pesos charges at gas stations on the first credit card hit before Charles could cancel it.
The police luetenant that came out was very nice.He told Charles you are very important to me because you are a gringo,they do not want stories of gringos getting robbed getting out.Wetold them what we knew but we ,me ,Charles and Beatriz to go in to talkn to the police some more today.
The Police guy was suggesting kind of profiling the cab drivers you get in with,better an older guy in a newer taxi.But really,are we going to waive off taxis waiting for the right appearing guy?Seems like alot of them look a little shaky.
Depends on how paranoid you are,or what your girl friend will let you do.Beatriz is going to be looking hard at these guys.She says we gringos are too confiance,I guess too much confidence,when we should be more nervious about things I guess.And her latest thought is don't walk anywhere from here,especially at night.
We agreed it was best I give the card to the guys as he said,the money will be refunded and who knows what they might have done if they got zero.Also he said they were just passing the gun back and forth,he was tewmpted to grab it.Lucky he did not try that I think,however if it was a head for the hills true sequester that might make more sense.But those guys are probably alot more serious and not as sloppy.
Charles is not down on Colombia,he will return,is even thinking about working from here.But his parents who were already paranoid will freak.Maybe he won't tell them.

Pete

Pete E
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Roomate robbed at gunpoint in taxi, posted by Pete E on Jan 10, 2006

2 others,same MO,a governmernt guy and a third in the paper this morning.
There are some things Charles might help them with.They picked up a girl,she was cuddling up to Charles,guess to make it look real after they tossed his girl out.She might be a Sexta regular he could identify.Also they passed a group of guys on the street,the robbers honked and pointed to him,we got one,the other guys cheered them on.Some people know who these guys are.

Pete

colgre
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Roomate robbed at gunpoint in taxi, posted by Pete E on Jan 10, 2006

How well did he know the girl? What exactly is her profile? This was no doubt set-up by her. Guys, be careful of these girls. Most are sweet nice girls, but there are some that would just as well thrust a knife in your back for $50 and leave you bleeding in a gutter...

Every story I have heard of with taxis getting forced over for a robbery always had a suspect girl in the car as well, and she always comes out of it unharmed.

Pete E
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Inside job, posted by colgre on Jan 12, 2006

Charles doesn't suspect her,he suggested the restaurant on Sexta.But he does not know her well.

Pete

maggiemtnman
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

Very interesting and scary. Was Charles' girl friend in the cab when he was robbed? Normally these girls keep the gringos from getting into trouble. The problem that I have is that I am complacent eventhough my wife is constantly on my ass about it in Cali. I am probably an accident waiting to happen. Could this be an inside job where someone saw him in a restaurant with cash and followed him? Did getting the license plate number of the taxi produce any suspects? Good heads up move by your security guards. Have you learned any thing new to report ... ?
Pete E
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Roomate robbed at gunpoint in taxi, posted by maggiemtnman on Jan 12, 2006

The US army officer hasn't got together with us,now Charles is in Bogota.Her walked out of the restaurant flagged a cab,several passed before this guy stopped,he said  he pulled up slowly,he thought he might have been parked down the street.The girl was in the cab with him but they kicked her out after he got the credit card,she called here,told us what happened.

Pete

elcolombiano
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

We took a cab yesterday in Cali and the cab driver heard about the theft on the news.
LatinIntro
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

Always call for a cab if possible from where you are. This type of service is very common and cheap. You can even use your cell phone or call us at Charlies Place and we will get you one.
Some of the most popular numbers in Bogota for cab companies are: 222-2211 311-1111 411-1111 711-1111.
Our number in Bogota is 214-6069.
teoblas
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

http://www.teoblas.com/safety.htm

exerpt from Paragraph 3.  "If traveling at night or very early morning call for a taxi rather than hail a taxi on the street. Any reputable hotel, restaurant or nightclub will assist their clients call for a taxi. Before initiating your taxi ride know roughly where you are going, what direction it is and how long it should take to get there, and remain alert during the taxi ride."

mudd
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

sounds just like the story that happend to me and another guy several years ago in cali, but we left a bank and were watched by somebody inside the bank, who then told two guys on a motorcycle to hit us. happend so fast, you couldnt even blink. nothing like getting a gun pointed at your head.
Ricardo
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Roomate robbed at gunpoint in taxi, posted by mudd on Jan 10, 2006

I would like to hear some suggestions on how to reduce the risk in not getting robbed or mugged....
What works and what doesn't ... I agree this is useful information for this board.   Many guys who are/are not Colombia savvy will benefit.  I agree that sometimes I am probably a little careless.  But I try to do all my transactions in the daytime, in malls or other 'crowded' places... but I agree sometimes you need some cash urgently....
For the most part my Colombian g/fs keep me out of trouble...
Ricardo
colgre
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Roomate robbed at gunpoint in ta..., posted by Ricardo on Jan 10, 2006

[This message has been edited by colgre]

Hire an armed bodyguard.
Pete E
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Do the same as rich Colombians..., posted by colgre on Jan 12, 2006

This is for high profile people that people know have money.Two guys in nmy building have them.One guy owns a car dealership.It would be expensive and unnecesary for most of us.

Pete

WS244
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Roomate robbed at gunpoint in ta..., posted by Ricardo on Jan 10, 2006

[This message has been edited by WS244]

Well

Rule 1
At nightime at a restaurant have the restaurant call the cab

Rule 2
At nightime at a mall go to the mall taxistand

Rule 3
At the airport go to the airport taxistand

Rule 4
Daytime in Bogota flag yellow taxi's on the street no problem

Rule 5
Dump a really dumb girfriend who should know better in the firstplace to flag a streetside taxi at night

Rule 6
There are some really nieve types out there visiting foreign countries--(requires a mirror at hand)

Bueller
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

With the economic crisis in Argentina of the past few years, it became advisable to avoid flagging down taxis on the street, and instead call a lower-fare "remis", which is a normal-looking car dispatched from an office of remises. That way there is an information trail of exactly who picked you up, thus a very low likelihood of a driver robbing you. We should start a PL list of decent, English-speaking taxi drivers to call when we're in a particular city of Colombia. Let each driver know he's on our "list", and that we'll tip him Gringo-style, with the stipulation that for better or worse we know who he is.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: