Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 03:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Money, travlers cheques, and plastic?  (Read 20552 times)
capt david
« on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

I have heard that t/cheques are not the best,"What will I do?"hehe I have a Visa and a pulse debit card on my local Teachers Credit Union. I have another visa that I never use. I will be "based" in Cebu, with three day side trips. What do you guys recommend about money? Also, I drink aged rum ie Bacardi Anejo'. What do you recommend?
Ray
Rum
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Money, travlers cheques, and plastic?, posted by capt david on Dec 16, 2001

Well Capt, don’t listen to anyone here who says Tanduay Rhum is no good because they just don’t know what they are talking about. They have some cheaper stuff for street people and cheapskates, but the good stuff is really inexpensive compared to what you would pay here for a premium rum.

I prefer dark rum and I like the Tanduay Gold Seal 5-year old, which is readily available all over the Phils. I think it’s better than Bacardi Anejo. But if you are truly a ‘kind-of-sewer’ of fine rums, you have to get a hold of a bottle of Tanduay Superior black label. It’s the premium 12-year old stuff and it rivals the best Jamaicans or London Docks rums I've tasted. It’s a little hard to find, so you need to ask around. I couldn’t find a place to buy it in Cebu when I wanted to get a couple of bottles to bring back on the plane, but I’m sure you can find some if you ask around. Gooood stuff and not expensive!

Ray

Humabdos
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Rum, posted by Ray on Dec 16, 2001

n/t
Ray
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to You old rummy you! lol n/t, posted by Humabdos on Dec 16, 2001

...I come from a long line of rummies. Trader Vic, a renowned rum expert, was my uncle. I'm sure Peabody has heard of Trader Vic since he grew up in the Bay Area.

My drink of choice is the Cuba Libre. Excellent drink when made with Tanduay & fresh kalamansi! When in Hawaii, it's the Mai Tai (invented by my uncle Victor). Now I'm gting thershty jst theeenkng ubout ittt...

Ray (Hic!)

tomtneal
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Actually..., posted by Ray on Dec 16, 2001

I remember the gooood ole day's at Trader Vics
tneal
Humabdos
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Actually..., posted by Ray on Dec 16, 2001

I'll admit Ray I'll  not a good judge of alcohol as I rarely drink. I have been to trader vic's. There's one in Pismo Beach where I use to live very nice place! The last time I got wasted was in Boracay at the Beachcomber bar and Bazura bar in 1993!   Humabdos
Humabdos
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Money, travlers cheques, and plastic?, posted by capt david on Dec 16, 2001

I never take travelers checks. Poor rates. Credit cards are ok in big cties can be hard to use out of the city. I take cash and exchange it in Manila where you will get the best rate at a money changer. Do NOT exchange it all at the airport! Bad rates! just change a twenty for cab fair.If your in Cebu I highly recommend going over to Siquijor to the coral Cay resort ran by Dave and Hellen.  As for the rum bring it with you! The rum they have there is not nearly as good as Bacardi Anejo! I take at least one thousand in 100 dollar bills in a money belt.
Your bank card will work also at Equitable banks and you can draw right from your bank account.   Have fun capt. David!   Humabdos
Willy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Money, travlers cheques, and plastic..., posted by Humabdos on Dec 16, 2001

I agree with Hum, no good rates on t-checks, and they are somewhat of a hassle, too. You have to go to money changer and they have to copy your passport, which is a bit disconcertin, as they usually have to take it somewhere else to copy it and there you are, standing and wondering if they will be back with it, haha. Good luck!
Willy
greg
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Get newer $100s and smaller bills from Bank, take your two credit cards as back ups. Use  calf, waist money belts. Cash get you higher peso rates from the Money Changers, I took $2000 in cash with no plms. Mr Peabody
Dave H
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Money, travlers cheques, and plastic..., posted by greg on Dec 16, 2001

N/T
tito
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Definatley not Travelers Checks.Paid 30.00 here in the US to buy them.In Cebu there is only one place,Adventure Travel in the south side of Ayala Mall,that will accept them.Not always convenient.Better to use the ATM to access cash.I used both my VISA cc and my local bank Debit card.No problems with either.

tito Matt

capt david
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Money, travlers cheques, and plastic..., posted by tito on Dec 16, 2001

Is your debit card Cirrus or Pulse? What bank is it with, local or nationwide? Also, can you reccomend an inexpensive place to stay? My GF lives in Mandaue, and I am considering either Mactan or Cebu. I would love a beach/water setting, but don't know if I can find on my budget. I want A/C and TV for twenty to thirty dollars or less if possible. Thanks again,
capt David
tito
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to a follow up question, posted by capt david on Dec 16, 2001

Capt David,

My debit card is from a local bank here in S Fla.It is actually niether Cirrus or Pulse but Honor.They accept all in the ATMs.

I stayed recently at a place called St.Moritz.1200P per night and I had a living room and a sleeping area.Air blows cold and shower runs hot.Cable TV and fridge(ref!)You can check it out online.Website is something like stmoritz.com.The place is maybe not too popular in Pen Pal circles becuase it has a Bikini Bar but its not a big deal.There are mostly Europeans staying there but they are not running hookers thru like alot of hotels I've seen.My wife is from Mandaue also.It was easy to get back and forth.For beach activities we made them day trips.

BTW,as a former rummy I take umbradge at the put down of my favorite rum,Tanduay, that I read in another post.Its good and its plentiful and its cheap!Hell, I once moved back to the RP just cuz it was good and cheap!

Have fun in the RP.Keep your eyes and your mind open.Good luck.

tito Matt

Humabdos
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: a follow up question, posted by tito on Dec 16, 2001

Sorry for putting down your beloved Tanduay! lol Many expats live in the Philippines just because cigs and alcohol are very cheep! A flat of Tanduay is about P25 and cigs the same. Where else can ruin your health for so little! I won't go into what I think of there beer! lol

Humabdos

The five year old Tanduay export stuff ain't to bad.

Humabdos
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to a follow up question, posted by capt david on Dec 16, 2001

Forget Mactan it's a RIP OFF ! white sand brought in from far away! Tourist trap! Over on Siquijor at the coral cay resort Dave offers a very nice nipa hut with air con Tv right on the beach last I heard its $25 per night.
Don't let your mahal talk you out of going to Siquijor all the talk about witches is bull crap!

Humabdos

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: