Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 09:16:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refugees being relocated  (Read 27044 times)
OkieMan
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Heaven forbid...., posted by CelticUrge on Sep 5, 2005

Celtic Urge,

I remember the OKC bombing like it was yesterday!  I live in the Tulsa area, and at that time, my then young sons were living for a short time with their mother in OKC.(She and I divorced in 1989).  My sons were in no danger, but as we took a tour of that bombing site (after the authorities finally let us); it was unbelievable!  Also, I certainly remember Connie Chong.  I was very happy that she lost credibility over her stupid, insensitive comments.  I was also very proud of our then governor, Frank Keating.  By Oklahoma going through that terrible ordeal, I feel we earned the respect of people around the world.  By the way, you should see the bombing memorial; it is most impressive.  I am glad that Timothy McVeigh got the old "needle in the arm trick"!
At least he is not around anymore to gloat, and we showed the world what happens to terrorists-- foreign or domestic.

OkieMan

Michael B
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Refugees being relocated, posted by OkieMan on Sep 4, 2005

Dallas is going to get between 8,000 to 25,000 (depending on which news report your listen to). They're going to put between 2,000 to 12,000 (again, 'depending') right across the street from me. I'll let you know if they behave themselves properly.

Re: Grapes of Wrath--granted, the Joad family was fictional, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with you that Stienbeck had it wrong. Sallisaw WAS affected by the drought. Maybe they weren't 'dusted under' as badly as Enid or Amarillo, Tx, but it was dry enough that they couldn't make decent crops, because of that many fell behind in their mortgage payments and lost their land through foreclosure, which, if I remember the book rightly, was exactaly why the Joad family was leaving. The really sad (but too true) part of the book is the way the people were treated when they got to California.

OkieMan
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Refugees being relocated, posted by Michael B on Sep 4, 2005

Michael,

What I meant about the Dust Bowl comments is that the Sallisaw area was not even close to what was depicted in the movie.  I have seen some of the old photos of different dusty, arid areas that was part of the former "Dust Bowl".  Yes, those years of long ago were drier across this entire area, but not to the extent that Western Oklahoma, West Texas, etc were affected.  I mention this because unlike you, many of the people on this board, and across America have never been to Oklahoma.  I mean some people on the East or West coast areas think we're still in the "Cowboy and Indians" days. They really would if they saw a rodeo or an Indian Pow-Wow! ha  Certainly, many of them think all of Oklahoma is just one big dry, dusty plain.  As you know, that is far from the truth.  I guess it's something like some of the american men who have never went to any Latin American country.  Or maybe they are expecting to see Pedro sitting somewhere taking a siesta in a setting like something in Mexico in an old Clint Eastwood movie.  As you know  Colombia is much different.  That's all I meant.

OkieMan

Michael B
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Refugees being relocated, posted by OkieMan on Sep 4, 2005

Coming from that perspective (people being unfamiliar with Oklahoma topography and the people who live there), you've got a good point. Ever seen the old John Wayne movie titled "War of the Wildcatters" (sometimes you see it titled "In Old Oklahoma"...same movie either title)? Anyway, they are drilling for oil around Tulsa. (You know it's Tulsa, because a major part of the plot is that they have to deliver the oil to Tulsa by a certain date or they lose their option). The land in the on location scenes looks more like Monument Valley (complete with desert and canyons) than Glenpool, and the Indians look more like Apachee than Creek and Cherokee.
OkieMan
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Refugees being relocated, posted by Michael B on Sep 5, 2005

Michael,

A man after my own heart!  I love the old John Wayne westerns.  Yes, I have seen that flick many times; and you are right.  Hollywood would mostly shoot in California, no matter where the actual location was supposed to be.  The California hills are pretty distinct, and certainly Monument Valley in Arizona and Utah are unique. But, that didn't stop the studios from telling you the story  location was in Texas, Oklahoma, you name it anytown USA. Once in a while, you will see movies shot on location (other than LA or New York).  Even though I am an old movie buff, it seems that today's movies are at least more likely to be shot on location.  As far as the Indians (Native Americans), yes especially in the old days, most of the time, they were not even real Indians, but white stuntmen dressed up in costume.  One of the exceptions was Iron Eyes Cody.  He made several westerns, including a part in Stagecoach; John Wayne's first big movie in 1939.  That one got him out of the cheap little 2 reelers and into the big time.

OkieMan

david hagar
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Read what you have said.  Refugees in this country. Who would have thought that this country  that its own citizens would be refugees.

Beattledog

OkieMan
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Refugees being relocated, posted by david hagar on Sep 4, 2005

Yeah David,

It is very bizarre.

wizard
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Refugees being relocated, posted by OkieMan on Sep 4, 2005

The media spin again... CNN began labeling these people as refugees sometime on Tuesday... Interesting enough, one survivor being interviewed here in Houston took exception to that label and told a television news crew "No, I'm not a refugee, I'm an American citizen..."

Keith NC
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

OkieMan,

We are getting 2000 here in North Carolina.  They are splitting them up between Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro.  Those are the three largest cities in the state.  There are about five Families here where I live.  These people got out way before the Hurricane hit.  They have already enrolled their kids in school here.  They  said on the news that they like North Carolina and probably will not be going back to New Orleans.  

It would be interesting to see how many of these folks actually go back.  I am sure some of them will and others will be terrified with too many bad memories of the horror they went through.  It will take a hell of a long time before there will be any normalcy in New Orleans.  I say at least three to five years.  

Keith

OkieMan
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Refugees being relocated, posted by Keith NC on Sep 4, 2005

Keith,

Thanks for your story.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: