Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 04:40:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translators  (Read 6807 times)
David W
« on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Hey, does anyone know a translation service or person that is reasonable in their rates.  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

PSMD. Jim....how are things if you read this?

Traveler
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Translators, posted by David W on Apr 14, 2001

oye, hay alguien que sepa de un servicio de traduccion con un precio razonable. cualquier clase de informacion seria apreciado.

that is your message translated into Spanish.  what do you need done and maybe I could help you

David W
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to I can help you, posted by Traveler on Apr 14, 2001

Looking for a phone call translator...if that is what you call it.
Jim L
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Translators, posted by David W on Apr 14, 2001

Hey David.

If you go to the Planet Love main page and scroll down to  "translation help", you'll find Spanish translation services offered for like five cents a word.

You can also use some of the free online translation sites that feature the systran software.  Be warned though that these translations can run the gamut from comical to downright bizzare (like anything else, you generally get what you pay for). But they're helpful sometimes, at least to get the gist of what's being said.  

The best advice I could give you though, David is to just learn Spanish. I've been practicing for about a year now and I'm up to something of a (gramatically atrocious:-) conversational level.  I can pretty much do my own letter writing, too.
Buy yourself one of those electronic pocket translators (about 50 bucks) and practice a little each day. Taking a classs is good, too if you can find the time.
Here's a site somebody here turned me on to:

www.parlo.com

Sign up, take a placement test and they'll e-mail you free lessons each week.  Again, you get what you pay for - but it's a start.
Finally, try to engage any Spanish speaking person you meet in conversation.  Yeah you might feel a little awkward at first, but they're usually happy to help you with it; and you'll  be helping them with their English reciprocally.  Not a bad deal for both of you.

Jim

PS Things are fine.  Leaving for Cali Tuesday :-)

David W
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Translators, posted by Jim L on Apr 14, 2001

Hope you do actually have a tremedous time down there.  I will be going at some point.  Let me know what happens..Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: