Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 17, 2024, 01:26:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RP warning still in effect  (Read 11542 times)
Humabdos
« on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

U.S. warns citizens anew of threats in R.P.

WASHINGTON -- The United States on Friday (early Saturday in Manila) renewed its warning to U.S. citizens about terrorist threats in the Philippines, choosing to keep in place an existing alert that was set to expire this week.
"The terrorist threat to Americans in the Philippines remains high and the embassy continues to receive reports of ongoing activities by known terrorist groups," the State Department said, referring to the U.S. mission in Manila.
"In view of a number of security-related incidents and the possibility of future terrorism and other violence or criminal activity, Americans traveling to or residing in the Philippines are urged to exercise great caution and maintain heightened security awareness," it said in a statement.
Friday's warning replaced a similarly worded alert from July 16 that had been issued after three terrorist suspects with links to the outlawed al-Qaeda affiliate Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) broke out of a Philippines jail.
The July advisory itself had replaced a March terrorism warning for the Philippines.
Friday's alert also reiterated earlier information about other dangers to U.S. citizens in the Philippines, including threats from Abu Sayyaf and the communist New People's Army, both of which Washington regards as terrorist organizations.
In addition, it repeated recommendations for Americans to avoid visiting islands in the Sulu archipelago due to kidnappings and other criminal activity and defer nonessential travel to the island of Mindanao, where there have been numerous bombings and abductions.

The department also said that because of bomb-related incidents in the capital, U.S. citizens should avoid crowds and crowded places such as nightclubs and bars and to be especially vigilant in other public areas like shopping malls or on buses.
abs-cbnNEWS.com monitor

A joint venture of TODAY newspaper and ABS-CBN Interactive

Jimbo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to RP warning still in effect, posted by Humabdos on Jan 18, 2004

[This message has been edited by Jimbo]

Well, I felt pretty safe at Alona Beach; no places for big crowds that would present a target for bombing.  The most hostile part about it was the Europeans.  Some of them had an anti-American attitude, mostly the drunken Swiss-German and German expats living there.  I guess they watch the BBC too much Shocked)

On one dive trip to Cabilao, the American Ambassador and the Consulate General took the whole boat with their families, so they weren't afraid of travelling.  There were two security guys and I only saw one gun (I was allowed on the trip because I was the divemaster in the Open Water class for their daughters).  But I have to admit I was watching other boats out there very closely on the long trip to Cabilao -LOL!

Jim

Febtember
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: RP warning still in effect, posted by Jimbo on Jan 18, 2004

Hi Jimbo,
Do you able to see the hammerhead shark in Cabilao?Wow your too close to my island Pangangan.My folks live there.Tell us more about your diving adventure it's very interesting.Raquel
Jimbo
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re:Jimbo you see my island Pangangan, posted by Febtember on Jan 19, 2004

Pangangan that is, not the hammerheads.  Pangangan is right behind Cabilao.  Here's a couple of maps:

http://www.boholprovince.com/map.asp
http://www.starfish.ch/dive/map/Bohol-map.html

It's a long boat ride from Alona Beach, about 2 hours.  The boat has to go out South from Panglao, then West to Balicasag, then turns North for Cabilao.  If the sea is calm it's a nice ride with Cebu to the left, Bohol to the right, and Cabilao, Sandingan, and Pangangan in front.  You can also see Siquijor but even on mostly clear days Siquijor was covered by black clouds and haze.  Maybe that witch stuff has some truth to it :-D

Cabilao was beautiful with white sand beaches, coral shallows and big dropoffs.  Captain Pilo was from Cabilao but he couldn't get time off to see his family.  We were so busy he had to go back to Alona Beach to get ready for more trips, even on Christmas day.

I'll post again when I get a break Feb,

Jim

Humabdos
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: RP warning still in effect, posted by Jimbo on Jan 18, 2004

I have found the same attitude with most of the Europeans I've met in the Philippines. Most of them hate the USA and love to talk about how stupid we all are. I remember being shocked on my first trip of just how hated we are. That's when I decided to avoid places like Boracay, Moal Boal, Puerto Galera. I didn't go to the Philippines to hang out with a bunch of loud mouthed drunken Germans and other snody Europeans. It is hard to escape them, it seems they are everywhere.

As for the warning it's the same old crap and wouldn't deter me from going. We have friends moving to Bohol and there is some NPA activity on the Island but I'm not sure of the current situation. A while back they where warning people not to go to the chocolate hills because of it.

BWT have you ever been diving at Moal Boal or Puerto?
Also did they give you any nitrox training in your dive master training?
Hum

Johann
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to drunken Swiss-Germans, posted by Humabdos on Jan 18, 2004

Good evening,
As you know, I am from Austria, Europe, but I see no reason why I should protect or defend bad habits in Europe.

I can only confirm the posting of Humabdos. It was always like that, I remember well, as I was working while still in Europe 7 years in a travel agency in Vienna 1973-1980.

Generally there are no problems with Germans, as long as they are travelling as singles, or as a family or maybe 2 families together.

However if there is a charter flight for overseas (or bus-tour or train-tour in Europe) which is fully booked solely out of Germans, you can expect major troubles and serious complaints by anybody, who has something to do with them.

It is sad, but true:
Terrible noise by the German groups themselves, loud music, plenty of alcoholic drinks, wild children, shouting wives, furniture-smashing angry husbands and senseless complainings against all and everything, which is not original-German -

Family tours are the most difficult, as they are all together...grandfather, grandmother, husband, wife and children - and often together with their relatives.

Alcohol, drunken in huge amounts is a very serious problem everywhere in Europe and contributes to the above troubles a lot. The problem is, that everybody is drinking alcohol, the men, the women and even the children.
-----
We visited USA the first time in my life last month (maybe Hawaii is not really the whole USA - but the rules are the same there)
We all were very impressed, how strict alcohol sale and consumation and smoking is handled by law and respected by all people, regardless if in restaurants or out in the street. -

Yes, I agree, about alcohol and smoking related education and behaviour in a group while travelling abroad, we from Europe are clearly backward compared to the USA.

Johann

Nathan
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Well, too bad for them, but your description fits most of them pretty well. Drunk, Drugs, Bitter, America hating,
( Envy from knowing they come from declining has been civilizations ) gas bags. I have seen the ugly American in various countries around the world, but he is actually quite a gentleman compared to heinous Euro-trash, which is about the lowest form of life to be found anywhere.
  About the time you think that is all Europeans, you meet one with class and manners that proves the exception to the rule, but most were working overtime to fit your description.
Jimbo
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I got a nitrox intro dive and some training, but not the certification; I ran out of time.  It was great - I didn't feel tired after the dive!  I'll take that course here in the spring.  Moalboal I did on my first trip to the Phils in '98.

Jim

Ray
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Hey Jimbo, congratulations on the Patriots' win!

Did you remember to give the Consul General an earful about their visa processing? Not many of us get an opportunity like that... :-)

Ray

Jimbo
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Click! Click! Click! (LOL), posted by Ray on Jan 18, 2004

Hi Ray,

No, he was a real nice guy.  He passed around snacks for everyone on the boat, Filipinos included, after the dives.  I talked to him about his daughter - she was a natural in the water and did a great job in the class.  He asked me about Boston and the divemaster course.  Maybe he would remember me if I sent him an email but I wouldn't count on it.  I've forgotten his last name already.

The ambassador was a different story, but I won't say anything else about that :-)

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: