Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 08:42:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okie  (Read 3536 times)
doombug
« on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

"Unknown Hero Saves Many Lives."  

That's what one headline reads.

Looks like one of your fellow Oklahomans may be responsible for having helped untold thousands live to see another day.

His name is Max Mayfield, and he's the director of the NOAA's Tropical Prediction Center, National Hurricane Center.  Where the Nagin's, Blanco's, Brown's and Bush's caught most of the flack for the aftermath of Katrina, Mayfield seems to finally be catching much praise for his deft forecasting--and for personally pressuring those "leaders" to take action.

And he takes a rational approach to the cause for the severity of these recent hurricanes.  In his eyes, this spate of Andrews, Katrinas, and Ritas are nothing more than a cyclical event; NOT global warming:

"Max Mayfield told a congressional panel that he believes the Atlantic Ocean is in a cycle of increased hurricane activity that parallels an increase that started in the 1940s and ended in the 1960s.

"The ensuing lull lasted until 1995, then 'it’s like somebody threw a switch,' Mayfield said. The number and power of hurricanes increased dramatically.

"Under questioning by members of the Senate Commerce subcommittee on disaster prevention and prediction, he shrugged off the notion that global warming played a role, saying instead it was a natural cycle in the Atlantic Ocean that fluctuates every 25 to 40 years."

Dust Bowl common sense.  Dust Bowl heroism.

Peace out!

OkieMan
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Okie, posted by doombug on Sep 24, 2005

Doombug,

Thanks for the info.  I had not heard about Max Mayfield, but it's nice to know a fellow Okie can be of some service.  Joe Allbaugh, the former head of FEMA is also an Oklahoman.  We have some weather challenges ourselves. In the spring time, we have a problem dodging tornadoes, but our weather men and storm chasers do an excellent job of staying on top of it.  Remember when Steven Spielberg made Twister, he filmed it in Oklahoma.  We certainly have to deal with that many times here.

OkieMan

utopiacowboy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Okie, posted by OkieMan on Sep 24, 2005

When we lived in Bartlesville, I was outside grilling one late afternoon when a severe thunderstorm came up from the southwest. I didn't want to stop grilling so I got in close to the house under the eave and continued while the storm got worse and worse. The trees were being bent in half all around me and I hear a strange sound. It's the garage door going up by itself. I opened the back door to the garage just in time to see the main door getting blown away. Later they weren't sure if it had been a tornado or just fierce straight winds but it blew the roof off a nearby church as well. That was a classic - only an "Okie" would grill through a tornado!
OkieMan
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Speaking of twisters, posted by utopiacowboy on Sep 24, 2005

UC,
That's an interesting story.   What year was that?  I was married to a lady from Nowata for several years, and worked in B'ville.  I get up that way every now and then as I call on my school accounts.  But, since I live just south of Tulsa now, I don't go there often.  
utopiacowboy
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Speaking of twisters, posted by OkieMan on Sep 24, 2005

That would have been the summer of 1990. I liked Bartlesville but working in the petroleum industry you never knew if you would have a job. It's always boom or bust. I used to enjoy the drive over to Ponca City where Conoco was headquartered.
OkieMan
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Speaking of twisters, posted by utopiacowboy on Sep 24, 2005

Yeah, Phillips went through many waves of lay-offs, etc.  I knew many people that lost their jobs over the years. Of course, Phillips merged with Conoco a few years ago, and moved their HQ to Houston.  But, we just got word the other day, that some of the jobs (200-300) are coming back to Bartlesville.  That's good news.   By the way, I moved to Nowata in '91. I married the lady I mentioned in '92.  We split up in '99.  So, the '90s was an interesting decade.  I don't ever want to have to live that way again!!  

OkieMan

utopiacowboy
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Speaking of twisters, posted by OkieMan on Sep 24, 2005

You're right. Not a single person that I worked with back then still works for Phillips. I still have their gas credit card though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: