Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 17, 2024, 03:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: working wives  (Read 7730 times)
chevy
« on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Do you expect your wife to work to help with finances? Or should one be able to support her and the future kids, if any, without her financial support?
littlebhuddha
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to working wives, posted by chevy on Dec 31, 2002

I think that it depends a lot on her background in Colombia.
My fiance has a graduate degree in Finance and worked as a bank manager in Medellin until the bank was blown up after a failed extortion attempt by the rebels. When we visited my office she sat at my desk and cried because she missed her office and her job. I will have no trouble supporting her but she made it clear that she wants to continue her career. But she is Paisa and couldn't be talked out of working. Of course we have no plans to have children, but even if we did I expect that she would want to at least work out of our home. I agree with the previous statements that english is a VERY big obstacle. My fiance is currently taking 20 hours a week of english instruction at a local community center. This fall sahe will be enrolling at a local university to familiarize herself with US business practices. All this is her idea and she was ecstatic when I told her it was fine with me. I don't expect her to start working for at least a year. On the other hand we have gringo/colombiana couple friends where the exact opposite is true. I think the most important thing is to discuss the subject and come to an agreement early in the relationship.
Good Luck
bogota vet
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: working wives, posted by littlebhuddha on Jan 2, 2003

How did go from canceling your first trip Colombia a short while ago, to suddenly having a latin fiancee???
Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to working wives, posted by chevy on Dec 31, 2002

I think that what you earn should be enough to provide for your household including your wife and children if any. She may not be able to adapt and land a job as fast as you think. Having her working may improve your (you and your wife) life quality and personally I would like to see my wife working full time. Of course there are other issues to consider such as raising children etc.
Patrick
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: working wives, posted by Kit on Dec 31, 2002

Depending on your wife's English ability and education level, getting a job quickly may be a problem.  For the more educated women who held professional positions in their home country, working in a Walmart may not be too appealing to them, but without excelent English and possibly additional education here, getting a professional position in the US is hard.

I'd expect to be the sole bread winner for a while after she arrives unless she has good English skills and doesn't mind menial work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: