Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 17, 2024, 12:01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: living in Phils developments  (Read 3360 times)
Luther
« on: March 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

As I was warned by posts in this forum, it is hard to get a Filipina to say what she wants directly.  "It is your decision, you are my husband."  But Jovie now says she wants to move to the USA after we have lived together in the Phils for a year.  She wants to make some money in the US and then retire back to the Phils and renovate the house.

Sounds like a good plan, assuming that the bags of money will start falling out of the sky and landing at our feet the moment she sets foot on US soil, which they very well could, as I am my own worst enemy when it comes to attracting bags of money, and a good woman living here with me could make a difference in the level of income that I am willing to motivate myself to work toward.

I've been thinking while I'm over there I should get a 13A immigrant visa since I will qualify as the spouse of a Philippine citizen.  Does that mean I won't have to check out of the country once a year like you do when extending visitor visas?  The website is down and I couldn't even find the form, but will try again tomorrow.

Jovie found out she has several large ovarian cysts, and we are worried about the pregnancy.  Also I am worried about her health and the added trauma of surgery after a caesarian birth after nine months of pregnancy, which is trauma upon trauma upon trauma.  But people have been telling me cysts aren't like tumors or abscesses or anything so maybe I'm overreacting.

Ray
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to living in Phils developments, posted by Luther on Mar 11, 2005

Luther, this is just my 2 cents, but if I were worried about the health of my wife and baby, I would make sure they get the best health care available, which means right here in the good old U.S. of A.  Having major surgery in the Philippines may be cheaper, but those who can afford it invariably prefer to come here for medical care. Why? Because it’s MUCH safer.

I’m just curious what her reason is for not wanting to come here now before your child is born? Also, once she has been here for a few years, she may not want to go back and live over there any more. Did you ever wonder why so many Filipinos in the U.S. are trying to get their relatives over here instead of working toward moving back home to the Philippines? I would see if you can find a job with decent health benefits.

For the 13(A) visa, I believe that you are admitted on a probationary basis for one year. Then, depending on the type of visa issued, you can either apply for permanent residence in the Philippines or extend your stay 2 years at a time without becoming a permanent resident. Either way, I don’t think there is any requirement to leave the country and re-enter.

Ray

Luther
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: living in Phils developments, posted by Ray on Mar 11, 2005

Thanks for your 2 cents.  I am still researching the whole thing and at least now Jovie has told me what she really wants to do.

I was under the impression that her coming here now was not an option, that the visa process would take at least nine months.  I will still apply as soon as she sends me the photo and marriage certificate, but I might be over there when the visa is approved.  I would have to convince them that I have domicile in the US even though I have an airplane ticket saying I intend to be in the Phils for a year.  Maybe a letter from my employer stating that I have a job ready and waiting for me would help on the domicile question.  A relative could store my stuff and say I live there but went to be with my pregnant wife because she had health concerns during her pregnancy.

Since she'll need a caesarian anyway she thinks it will be no big deal to get the cysts yanked out at the same time.  Some people have been telling me that cysts are not a big health concern anyway.

As for me getting a job with health benefits, I have written a 600 page "black comedy" about me and my 35 jobs.  The sequel is in process but I hope it doesn't keep getting "funnier" as I take on the responsibilies of being a father.  Raising kids is no joke and I hope my kids benefit from my vast experience with going nowhere, rather than simply inheriting my "disability."

Ray
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to coming here now?, posted by Luther on Mar 11, 2005

Oh, O.K., now I understand what you want to do.

I was thinking you were planning to live there for a year or so and then apply for the visa after that. Some of those spouse visas are going through pretty fast now, maybe 6-7 months total if everything goes smoothly, but you’re right, 9 months is probably a little more realistic for a goal.

You don’t need to wait for the NSO copy of the marriage certificate to file your petition. Just use the certified LCRO copy and then submit the NSO version later with the visa application.

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: