Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 27, 2024, 10:02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions for fishermen  (Read 5418 times)
capt david
« on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

I am a very experienced fisherman with good tackle from Bones to 6/0. I will be traveling to Cebu/Bohol, and probably Puerto Galeria and Davo. I know that much of the Phils have been overfished. Is it worth taking any equipment. I would prefer snook, snapper, kingfish, or small tuna type fishing. Not nessecarily those fish, just that type of fishing. Also is there flats fishing. Any tips or areas would be appreciated. Trolling is acceptiable w/rental equipment. Thanks in advance. Captian David
Ray
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Questions for fishermen, posted by capt david on Nov 6, 2001

Hi capt!

I haven’t done any fishing in the Phils for many moons. When I was in Subic Bay in the Navy, we did some fishing in the waters around the base. The Navy ran a sport fishing boat from the base but I never had a chance to try it. Some of the guys caught a lot of large bonito and some barracuda on the boat but that was a long time ago. I know they run fishing charters out of some of the resort areas for Blue Marlin for example, but of course they provide all the tackle.

I took my fishing tackle off base once in 1969 to try some of the local beaches. On the advice of a Filipino shipmate, I stopped at the marketplace in town and picked up a plastic pail and a few dozen small live shrimp. I got a lot of strange stares and a few comments from the locals when I crawled into a jeepney with my fishing pole and again at the market. I guess they all thought I was totally crazy. I went out to a nearby beach resort in the afternoon and picked a spot on the beach. I was hauling in Lapulapu (grouper) like crazy but I think the locals thought it was a sin to use shrimp for bait. I tried to help out a couple of local kids with throw lines by giving them some live shrimp, because they weren’t catching anything. But instead they ran home to have mama cook up the shrimp for dinner. They came back later that evening but never did catch anything.

I have never personally seen a local Filipino with a fishing rod in his hand. They fish for food, not sport, and mostly use baited hand lines or throw nets. The tackle of choice in recent years has been dynamite or cyanide. You could hire a pump boat to take you out for some coastal fishing, but it’s kind of hard with the outriggers sticking out on both sides of the boat.

What I plan to do on my next trip is to bring a couple of those inexpensive lightweight spinning sets that fold up to fit in your suitcase. I could have had a ball at the in-laws house on the Island. The family has a private beach and covered pier and I could see a gazillion fish in the crystal clear waters, especially in early morning and evening. There are a large variety of fish, some very colorful, and it’s kind of pot luck what you catch. You can get fresh minnows (Dilis) anywhere and they should make excellent bait for light tackle fishing.

I wouldn’t bother bringing anything that won’t fit in your suitcase, but do bring hooks, line, jigs, small weights, etc., because fishing tackle is hard to find except in the largest cities. Keep it simple and travel light. If you happen to be staying at a resort on the beach somewhere, break out the rod and ask a local to get you some bait, and try your luck from the shore. It could be fun and anything that you catch they will cook up for you in the kitchen. My favorite is sinugba na isda (barbecued fish). Most of the beaches are either very sandy or very rocky. I’ve seen a lot of sandy beaches where you could walk out for a half-mile and be waist deep.

If this is your first trip, then my guess is that you will never even get your line wet. You’ll be too busy with “other things” :-)…  But you’ll have to find that out for yourself. In my experience, with even the most avid sport fishermen, the lure of the native girls is far greater than the lure of the sea (ROFL!).

Ray

Jondixil
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Questions for fishermen, posted by Ray on Nov 6, 2001

That is the most honest "fishing story" heard in years Ray, and best like the part how it's for substinance and not sport.  ( Where did most of our human species go wrong Huh)
See Re:Re:Re:...
Jeff S
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Questions for fishermen, posted by Jondixil on Nov 6, 2001

I don't get your point. I still like to fish for fun, even though I can buy all I want in the local fish market. Counting all the fancy tackle and boat trips, it's probably cheaper to buy it too. Do you see this as the human species "going wrong?"
-- Jeff S.
Jondixil
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Questions for fishermen, posted by Jeff S on Nov 7, 2001

Hi Jeff S.
My comment was only referring to a trait of humans long ago, and misunderstood friend?  -  Sorry
 Long ago stuff......  absolutely NO offence intended sir.
The "sport thing" is all good and just something not understood by me? Not understood by few...  John
Jeff S
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions for fishermen, posted by Jondixil on Nov 10, 2001

No offense taken. I just didn't understand the reference. Like Ray, I find fishing not only a way to put food on the table but also a way to connect with nature and as a refuge to clear your head out and think more clearly.
-- Jeff S.
Ray
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions for fishermen, posted by Jondixil on Nov 10, 2001

Hey John,

You mean to say you never fished in your life? Wow! I guess I always figured everybody fished for fun at least once in a while. Goes to show what I know...

I don't know what it is, but I could eat 2 identical fish, one bought from a fish market and the other I caught myself, and the one I caught would taste 10 times better. I guess it's partly the satisfaction from fighting a big fish for 20 minutes and then having it served up for dinner. Maybe I'm just nuts.

But fishing is more than just catching fish. It's getting out of the house for a while, enjoying the fresh air and just staring off in the distance and letting your mind wander while sipping a cold one. I've done some of my most serious thinking while sitting quietly holding a fishing pole. I think to a non-fisherman passing by I must look pretty strange :-)

Ray

Jondixil
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Questions for fishermen, posted by Jondixil on Nov 6, 2001

Sorry for butting in, I just need to let ya' know your tips and responses helped 2 new strangers become friends. Our first phone call was OK, and itsy-bitsy peanuts, but someday "nuttin" may become of it Huh  Shocked) - John
Jeff S
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Questions for fishermen, posted by capt david on Nov 6, 2001

Not sure about the PI, but most of the rest of the Western Pacific has very few flats/estuary type places. The islands are volcanic so the drop off is generally into pretty deep water with the possibility of coral reefs - so flats fishing is usually rare. There are deep water fish including yellowfin, skipjack and wahoo but kingfish is an Atlantic species only. The mackerel in the far east are feisty but only 12 - 15 inches long or so. Lots of deep reef fishing, though, like what you're used to for snapper and similar reef dwellers. I can't comment on the quality of the fishing in the areas you mentioned. Maybe Ray can?
-- Jeff S.

http://home1.gte.net/jspira/fishing/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: