Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 03, 2024, 09:55:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 10995 times)
Kelly94
« on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Im going to Cali this weekend for the first time. Do I need a passport and if so do I get it when I get off the plane in Cali or when and how do I get one?
Pete E
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Need Help, posted by Kelly94 on Dec 25, 2002

You better believe you need a passport.You canīt even get on the plane to Cali without one.One of my friends lost his passport when he got to Cali.They wouldnīt let him out of the airport.He had to go back to Miami untill they found the passport.Its also your principle ID in Colombia.If you want to change money at the bank you need one.I recommend ATM machines for this though.
Now,the perhaps good news.Some US state dept offices will give you a passport the same day if you go in to their office and have every thing you need.My son got a passport in one day in San Francisco.His company wanted to send him to Taiwan,he had about 3 days warning.
My first passport I never used for 10 years.I just got it because I was thinking about going out of the country.Much better to plan ahead.

Pete

pack
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

so you're just gonna jump on the plane and go to cali this weekend huh? and you wanna know if you need a passport huh?
Kelly94
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need Help, posted by pack on Dec 25, 2002

Well, that was the plan, but I guess its not that easy.
pack
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Need Help, posted by Kelly94 on Dec 25, 2002

first things first.
Michael B
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

If you haven't already got a passport, then you sure aren't going to Cali THIS weekend. Takes about 2 weeks to get one if you pay the 'expediency' surcharge, otherwise it takes 6 to 8 weeks. Some (not all) post offices can handle it for you. You will need a couple of pictures (not just ANY picture, has to be the pose and size they specify, some post offices will take your picture (for an additional fee), others don't have the equipment and will tell you to go to the commercial studio of your choice and come back when you have the pictures), a certified birth certificate and a valid driver's license. There are other documents you can use if necessary (like maybe you don't drive, or maybe your home town courthouse burned down and took your birth certificate with it), the form they give you will explain it.

Jeff S
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need Help, posted by Michael B on Dec 25, 2002

It used to be you could get a passport while you wait, the same day, in bigger cities. I've known several people who got theirs the same day in Los Angeles about 5 years ago, because a sudden business need arose - I would guess that Dallas would have the same type of office. I don't know if this is still the case, nor if the offices are open later this week. You'd have to call around and have a certified copy of your birth certificate (which you could also get in-person, while you wait, if you can drive to the county where you wereborn and the office was open.)
-- Jeff S.
pack
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Need Help, posted by Jeff S on Dec 25, 2002

when i got mine they told me i should  recieve it in 5 to 7 weeks, i actually recieved it in two weeks.
Kelly94
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need Help, posted by Michael B on Dec 25, 2002

Guess I'll have to wait, was kind of a spur of the moment thing when i decided to go. Guess its not as easy as traveling to mexico.
Michael B
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Oh well, posted by Kelly94 on Dec 25, 2002

Yeah, Mexico does not require that you have a passport, Colombia does.
Goliath
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Kelly,
You need a passport, no visa required. With holidays don't think you can get one soon enough.
Goliath
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need Help, posted by Goliath on Dec 25, 2002

Kelly,
See this site.

http://travel.state.gov/colombia.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: