Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 10, 2024, 09:39:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - Greencard Name Correction?  (Read 2861 times)
NitroLiq
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi,

Hoping someone can help us. When my wife and I applied for AOS a couple years ago we mistakenly put the wrong middle name (I used her maiden middle name, but now she uses her maiden last name as her current middle name). Anyway, we just had the AOS interview and received the greencard but my wife is concerned about the wrong middle initial. Do we need to file an I-90 with the $185 or is the middle initial more-or-less inconsequential? Would there be a problem if we plan to travel? Her old philippine passport has her complete maiden name...will that make a difference? I could always show a copy of our marriage cert as add'l proof if I needed to, along with the greencard. Would just like to avoid more INS paperwork if at all possible but if I have to...then I have to. Anyone have the scoop on this? Any help's greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

Ray
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Help - Greencard Name Correction?, posted by NitroLiq on Jun 4, 2004

[This message has been edited by Ray]

Hi Pete,

As long as the first and last name are correct on her green card, my guess would be that she won’t have any serious problems when traveling. Make sure she carries other valid picture ID and a certified copy of your marriage certificate with her.

If you tried to change the green card now, it would probably take a year or more to get a new card issued. If you happened to live in the Los Angeles service area, the USCIS has a pilot program to issue replacement green cards in less that a week by applying on line. Maybe if it works out they will someday expand that option nationwide, but until then, trying to replace the card will simply be a big pain in the ass.

If she later applies for U.S. citizenship, there is an option available to very easily change her name to almost anything she likes without a separate court order. Otherwise, make sure that she is consistent in the married name she uses on all official documents.

If she updates or renews her Philippine passport with her married name, she will usually be required to follow the Filipino tradition of using her father’s family name for her new middle name and her husband’s family name as her new last name. Unlike here in the U.S., Philippine law actually dictates how a married woman should change her name after marriage and the DFA has been enforcing that on passport change applications. I think some states, including California, have laws on the books that forbid a woman from changing her middle name after marriage without a court order, but those laws seem to be completely ignored and unenforced, at least here in California. Either way, she should keep her same first name.

Actually, I have found that a large percentage of Fil-Am couples have the same or similar problem that you are having with her married name. I strongly recommend that all Fil-Am couples discuss the name change options before they are married to avoid confusion and problems later on. Whichever name convention the bride decides to use, she should use it consistently on ALL documents after marriage.

Ray

NitroLiq
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Married Names, posted by Ray on Jun 5, 2004

I figured as much. I think we'll leave it for now and change it when she applies for citizenship. Thanks for the help, Ray.

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: