Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 19, 2024, 02:54:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alliance  (Read 5853 times)
Zoidberg
« on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Those that are thinking about making a first trip over to the FSU check into frequent flyer miles. It adds up fast because of the long trips. I made 2 trips last year and already got enough miles for 1 free r/t ticket within the US using Star Alliance carriers. Star Alliance has United, Lufthansa, Austrian Air Group, Lot and many others.

If you are thinking about flying over there for the first time soon on a Star Alliance flight let me know. If I refer you we can both get 5,000 free miles after you return from your first trip. Just email me if you want more info. It doesn't cost anything and it's a good way to get some free miles.

Z.

wilmc
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alliance, posted by Zoidberg on Feb 10, 2004

The One World Alliance includes, Aer Lingus, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathy Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Lan Chile and Qantas.

F.F. Miles earned on any of the above can be transferred for a flight on any other member air line.

I like to break up my trips to Moscow with a free stop in London which British Airways allows me to do.  In addition I love the scones and clotted cream they serve and other Executive Club benefits.  I have A British Airways Visa card with which I use extensively for the miles..  I was a traveling salesman and accumulated lots of Marriott rewards points so I stay for free at the Marriott Hotels in Moscow.  They have 4 locations in Moscow and a new one opening soon in St. Petersburg.  I have a Marriott Visa which gives me triple points for any incidental hotel charges that I have during my stay.  Also I take advantage of lots of Rewards membership offers.  Finally I use a USAA MasterCard to charge any overseas cash advances because they give me the best foreign currency exchange rates and no ATM use fees.  They also give me cash back.

I agree with the Patrick, exercise discipline and pay off the balance on all credit cards each month.  The interest on unpaid balances is criminal.

Finnair also flies to Russia with a stop in Helsinki but I have not yet tried that route.

Bobby Orr
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A plug for the ONE WORLD Alliance, posted by wilmc on Feb 11, 2004

The first time I went to St. Petersburg I was on Finn Air.  They were very good.  They used an airbus aircraft.  The food and service were fine.  The food then was alot better than on my latest flight using Delta.
wilmc
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Finnair was fine, posted by Bobby Orr on Feb 19, 2004

Just curious, did you stop over in Helsinki or just pass thru?  I am interested in seeing Helsinki and wonder if there is any extra charge if you stop over.

I flew Delta once to Moscow, and I agree the food was awful, seats uncomfortable, and flight attendents were  rude and ugly.  Even though it is the shortest non-stop trip available, I will never do that again.

Patrick
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alliance, posted by Zoidberg on Feb 10, 2004

If you travel frequently in your work you can rack up some miles.  I also have a credit card that gives me one mile for every dollar I charge.  I set it up so I pay for travel expenses on my card and the company I work for writes me a check later.   I think my wife and I have gone on four international vacations and brought her mother up from Colombia twice in the last four years just on frequent flyer miles.  We charge everything on the credit card. Ya gotta be careful about paying the balance off every month or the interest payments will make a good deal bad.
gator70
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Is there any other way to get miles?
Zoidberg
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alliance, posted by gator70 on Feb 10, 2004

Just as Cfonde & Patrick wrote in their posts there is also a Mileage Plus Visa that works for miles with Star Alliance. For this Visa it is no annual fee and when you apply you'll get $15k bonus miles (it's only 25k miles for r/t anywhere in the US) added to your account after your first purchase. You get 1 mile per dollar spent. They also have a dining program where you can get up to 11 miles per dollar spent at restaurants. If you shop online they have an online store where you get anywhere from 1 mile per dollar up to 20 miles per dollar spending at many stores like Best Buy, Target, Wallmart etc so the miles do ad up fast. But just as Patrick says be careful with holding a large balance. It makes the miles benefits not so good. Also included is some of the travel insurance. lost bags, trip delay, accident insurance, etc...  

Z

JH
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Other ways to earn Miles... , posted by Zoidberg on Feb 11, 2004

?
nautilus
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

For those who are flying or planning to fly to Russia, consider using Aeroflot.  They use new Aerobuses on transcontinental flights that are very clean and with ample space between seats.  I don't believe they partner with any US carriers on air miles, but their rates are usually substantially cheaper than any competition (like 25%, sometimes more).  They fly out of JFK, IAD, ORD, MIA (I am not sure if they still do though), as well as west coast and Alaska.  Also, prices for travel during cold months are substantially lower than in summer for all carriers.

One more thing, try to AVOID Air France.  There is nothing wrong with it per se, but after you have to seat for 10 hours surrounded by French guys who apparently are not aware of existence of deodorants...  You will not want to repeat the experience.  Also, for those who plan on flying inside Russia, rules for carry-on baggage are much stricter there, and small suitcases or similarly sized luggage generally will not be permitted as carry-ons.

CFonde
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alliance, posted by nautilus on Feb 10, 2004

I have enough frequent flier miles on Delta (and partners) to travel to St. Petersburg this spring. For the dates close to when I want to travel, I am ONLY being offered Air France. I've heard about their stenchy passengers, and the transfer horror stories from CDG Airport (Paris).

However, a free flight is a FREE flight. For 10+ hours, I can probably hold my breath long enough to tolerate the stinkin' French! I'm traveling for 2 weeks in late April til mid-May. There were no other Delta Award Miles alternatives getting to St. Petersburg. I ensured that I have 3+ hours layover in each direction to give my luggage a better chance of arriving when I do.

This trip will be courtesy of my Delta Skymiles American Express card. I have had it just over 2 years, and it has been easy to rack-up frequent flier miles on Delta. (Their partners include Aeromexico, Alitalia, Air France, CSA Czech, Continental, Korean Airlines, and many more). This card ALWAYS gives double miles for purchases at grocery stores, drug stores, home improvement depots, post offices, and gas purchases. In 2+ years, I've only flown 3-4 times on Delta domestically, and combined with my regular charges, have easily racked-up 50,000+ miles, ..and I'm NOT a charge-aholic either! Delta also has a dining program that gives 10 miles for every $1 charged at participating restaurants, and there's plenty of good ones to choose from.

The card carries a $55 annual fee, so if you don't charge enough in a couple years to qualify for a flight, it may not be worth it. Probably the best deal they have is their Platinum card that for every year you pay the $135 annual fee, you'll receive a certificate for a FREE domestic Coach Class companion ticket on Delta. That alone more than pays for the card. This is probably one of the best cards I've seen for racking up miles.

I also have an American Airlines Frequent Flier account, but thus far, I've only seen the Citi AAdvantage card for AA miles. They finally came out with a No Annual Fee "bronze" card, but it only gives 1 mile for every $2 charged. I'd prefer not to carry another annual fee credit card in my wallet, so this new bronze offering may be a good alternative.

Sorry for the rambling about frequent flier miles deals, but I'd be interested in hearing about any other frequent flier mile deals and/or credit cards that are available.

Albert
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alliance, posted by nautilus on Feb 10, 2004

But in general, Aeroflot is to be avoided if you are traveling to someplace other than Moscow as a final destination.  The reason is that you have to get transit visa for Russia and go throught the horror and hassle of the Moscow airport.  

Much simpler to switch planes in some other country, if you are going to Ukraine or one of the 'Stans', for instance.

nautilus
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Frequent Flyer Miles - Star Alli..., posted by Albert on Feb 10, 2004

The visa issue applies only if you are transiting to another country through Russia.  However, Moscow has several airports, and if you are traveling to another city, you will most likely need to travel through Moscow between airports, and that can be inconvenient, dangerous and expensive.  If you do, TRY TO AVOID THE TAXI RIDE FROM SHEREMETIEVO AIRPORT, due to possible scams, robberies, kidnapping, etc.  There is public transportation you can use, and even though it is not as convenient, it is much safer and cheaper.

As for travel to other FSU countries, I am almost sure that most of their carriers do fly to US and they cost a fraction of Lufthansa (usually the best alternative); Ukrainian Airlines definitely do.  I am not sure though about the condition of their fleet and quality of service.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: