Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 30, 2024, 06:10:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An opinion about Valentine’s Day.  (Read 10135 times)
Jack
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Not so true, posted by Crimea Joe on Feb 9, 2004

Joe, it's ok to disagree. That's one of the many things that what makes this Russian discussion board unique and special.  Joe, look at who is placing these ads in the newspapers you are referring too? Companies selling flowers, cards, candies?

Ten years ago ladies of the FSU did not know what Valentines Day was. With more and more FSU flower companies, agencies, promoting Valentines Day it's only a matter of time before all guys will be buying flowers on Feb. 14 and three weeks later on March 8th. Just as we introduce MacDonalds, we also introduce Valentines Day.

During my own pursuit Joe I did not send flowers to ladies in the FSU on Valentines Day, they didn't even know about it, but I sure did on March 8th. Once married to a Russian woman there is no getting away from it, flowers on 2-14, flowers on 3-8, geeez, I think I need to get into the flower business!

wsbill
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Not so true, posted by Jack on Feb 9, 2004

It creates a event for people to spend their money, Marketing 101 advertising....Works.

Just tell your EE girl Valentines day is for fairy's, men in drag...

Doubt if she'll want to be apart of that.

nautilus
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Not so true, posted by Jack on Feb 9, 2004

The more sophisticated ladies will be aware of Valentine's day, but most of them will not, especially in the provinces.  March 8th IS A MAJOR HOLIDAY, though.  It is not an exact equivalent of the Valentine's day, but rather a combination of Valentine's day, mother's day, grandmother's day, secretary's day, etc.  It is a day when a man acknowledges all women in his life and where appropriate gives them gifts.  In other words, if your relationship is progressed enough, you may send a card or a small gift to your mother-in-law on March 8th - major brownie points Smiley  An equivalent for men is February 23 - women are expected to give gifts/ presents to their husbands, fathers, etc.
Having said this, I would not say that it is appropriate to buy major gifts on any sort of a holiday to a woman you barely know.  Don't overdo it.
BTW, the origin of the holiday is the birthday of the German communist lady Klara Tsetkin (sp?).  In case anyone cares.
Pordzhik
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Not so true, posted by nautilus on Feb 9, 2004

Defenders of the Motherland day,

When the missus buys me flowers.

RW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to An opinion about Valentine’s Day., posted by Jack on Feb 9, 2004

Yes, March 8th is by all means more important (though my husband still forgets it - he says he is getting robbed with March 8th + Mother's Day Smiley But I would imagine for a woman in Russia who is still corresponding it would be very important...

A card for Valentine's Day would be more than sufficient (IMHO, but it's always up to an individual).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: