It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Next: Bringing My Girl From Colombia  (Read 14642 times)

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Next: Bringing My Girl From Colombia
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
My girlfriend and I have made a firm decision to move forward on this process  ;D

I need all the help I can get.  The two forms seem straight forward enough.

I still could use a comprehensive list of what needs to be included in the package.

Also, am I understanding correctly that I need to prepare two copies of the package?  One to send in, and one to keep, and eventually mail to my girl on COL for when she goes to the Embassy for the interview?

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
My girlfriend and I have made a firm decision to move forward on this process  ;D

I need all the help I can get.  The two forms seem straight forward enough.

I still could use a comprehensive list of what needs to be included in the package.

Also, am I understanding correctly that I need to prepare two copies of the package?  One to send in, and one to keep, and eventually mail to my girl on COL for when she goes to the Embassy for the interview?

There is a good K-1 guide & checklist over on visajourney that lists everything that you need. http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Personally I would make multiple copies of everything - I believe that I made 4 complete copies of my petition. They will come in handy further down the road - not only for your girl to have a copy at her interview in case it needs to be referenced back to but also for when you fill out the paperwork for her Adjustment of Status once she is in the US.

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
Okay, my package is coming along nicely.

It seems I need my girl to send me a few original items.  They are 1) her signed copy of Intent to Marry, 2) her signed copy of her G-325A, and 3) her passport photos.  I will be emailing her the first two.

QUESTION: what is the most reliable way for someone in Colombia to send something to the U.S.?  DHL?  And what is the process on their end?

thanks in advance

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »
I finally sent in my I-129F package today!!!!!!!!   

Finally.  i was dragging my feet a little towards the end; kind of nervous with cold feet.  But I know this is what i really want

Offline whitey

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
Congrats!

I was nervous too ... still am ... it's a big step ...

Not because I have any doubts about Nazly, but I'm always worried about my job and being completely responsible for someone else for at least a year or two can cause a little anxiety.  She's leaving her family and a decent job for a new life here with me, so I don't want things to get screwed up!

Best of luck for speedy approval ... I wonder if you'll have to go to Bogota for an interview ..?
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline fathertime

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
I finally sent in my I-129F package today!!!!!!!!   

Finally.  i was dragging my feet a little towards the end; kind of nervous with cold feet.  But I know this is what i really want

Man o Man Osa that took you a while!  I remember taking  2-3 extra weeks to get everything together!  Just keep it moving along now, the sooner she is here the sooner you can figure out how it all is going to shake down.  Any potential trips to see your babe in the interim?

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
I need a second job, I think.  I need extra cash to either make a second trip, make a very special homecoming for her, or both.

hows it going for you FT?

as for taking a while, we had a lot of kinks we had to work out in our relationship.  It hasnt been rocky, its been pleasant, but we had really get sure that we wanted to *do this*

Offline fathertime

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »
I need a second job, I think.  I need extra cash to either make a second trip, make a very special homecoming for her, or both.

hows it going for you FT?

Hey osa!
If I had to choose between a second trip or a special homecoming I'd choose the second trip.  It may be important for you to have been to Colombia a second time for the interview, so the trip will serve two purposes.

For me, having my new Colombian wife has been real good.  I'm pretty flexible about certain things and so is she, so we don't give each other crap and get along great partially because of that.  Many of these ladies are pretty laid back and that fits some personalities real good and others it may not.   

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
I got an ROE from immigration last Thursday. Nothing major,  apparently I had neglected to fill in some question about not having a criminal record.  My girl and I are taking this as good news,  as in,  "well, at least theyve looked at our case.

I'm pretty pumped. We've begun prepping for the embassy interview.  The 'embassy package ' i need to mail her is almost complete.

Perhaps most importantly,  I've acquired a second job that will enable me to bring her home,  move into a new apartment,  and save for our dream home in colombia and perhaps even retire early

Things are looking optimistic

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »

Congrats Osa!! long time no hear.....keep us posted.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »
ALRIGHT!!!!!!!

Got an email from USCIS friday morning stating that our petition has been approved!

Got the hard copy in the mail yesterday.

I don't have it in front of me, otherwise I would copy the body of the letter.

It seems to state that the onus is on us (me) to contact the embassy to set things up. Does that sound right?

I went to the bogota embassy's website, and it says the beneficiary should be getting a package from the immigrant visa unit (IVU) at the Bogota embassy.  Does that sound right?

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
      Here's a link that may help you.Also check out this website because it can probably answer alot of your questions:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Colombia_Club_Guide_%26_Tips

Also, I found the Bogota consulate reviews to be very helpful before the interview.

Researcher
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:22:07 PM by Researcher »
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »
Alot of info there.  I didn't know colombian girls needed to get medical.  What gives?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »

EVERYONE needs a medical exam before getting a fiancee or immigrant visa.

Does she have all her documents/translations, passport, birth cert, baptismal cert, etc., already?

Tell her to download and print out the K-Visa Instruction and Appointment Packages here and get hot. They are also available in Spanish.

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/appt-package.html

Ray

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:32:09 PM by Ray »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »

Yep, all K1 visas require a medical exam.She will need to get her immunizations also.Have you checked the USCIS website as well?

Are you going to the interview with her?

Researcher
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:38:14 PM by Researcher »

Offline maritime04

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 04:05:20 AM »
i know i am way late on this subject, but have been on the same road.

i sent in my package UCIS, they recieved it and its under review for 1 month and couple days. i recieved the letter and confirmation e-mail with the code i can use to check up on the status, so thats where i am.

I did not make a duplicate of the package, but i can just redue the forms correct? i am kinda confused about the embassy process as to what i need to bring, ill look it up on visa websites. if i did nothing wrong, and filled everything right i should be looking at september ish for embassy interview.

one question i had is how will basically living in colombia effect the K-1 i filled for, i am not a resident, and enter the country on tourist visa, but i rent an apartment and spend more then 6 months in country, should i be honest and say i live there and work overseas, or simply say i vacation alot in colombia with my girl.???

i am curious to know how osa did

Offline dennislevy

• pick a realistic goal and do it.
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
You ve gotta be kidding with that last question.

As a tourist, you CANNOT be in Colombia fo rmore ther 189 days from January 1 to December 31.
they can be consecutive or chopped up into bits, but its 180 days, even if you married to that Colombiana in the US.

After 180 days, you re on the hook for a fine that starts at the equivalent of 130.00 accrues depending on how long you overstay your visa.

If you re going to spend significant time in Colombia, you need to get another type of visa  before day 180. It can be any numnber of possibilities......spousal, conjugal, student visa.....even an investment visa...if you ve got the cash...but more then 180 days, you need something else in place approved by the Ministry of Foreign Relations on or before Day 180 and registered with any DAS office (the agency for internal travel and immigration, on the 15th day or before after you rerceive the visa from the Minstry.. .

If yo 

Offline maritime04

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 02:15:47 AM »
dennis

i hate to argue with some one that just got off the boat, (kidding with you). i eneter on tourist visa n;ever borthered to get residency through my colombian mother, i did do a student visa once.

I only over stayed my stamp on the following times,2006 or 2007or did by only a few days , but in 2010 i over stayed do to a lost passport and waiting for a new one, did not extend through DAS like i should have becuase it was only 10 day extension, and they busted me with a fine in bogota, i think if i left the country through medellin, they may not have been so harsh, but it might be they are cracking down.

i have stayed more then 180days in . 2006 2007. 2008. 2009,(2010 might be close.) if you leave and reenter the country they never add up the days to check, they may start doing this, or there system may add them up, but when i first started to vist it was never an issue for lack of teconology or caring; i know a few guys who drastically over stay there tourist visas and continue to do so, as long as they leave and re enter a few days later.

i work an even rotation like in the first few years 90 on/off, then 42 on/off, and now 28 on/off, but depending on when it happens or if i take a few weeks off here and there i will go over the 180 days and have so in the past.

you get stamped 60 on entry or 30 mostly 60 and you can extend for up to 90 days through a vist to DAS.

alot of guys get hitched up or have their novias sign saying they have been living togeather as common la marriage and they get visas, isnt that funny old retired gringos using young girlfriends to stay in colombia, and young women using old husbands to get green cards to stay in the USA

Offline Ray

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »

i know i am way late on this subject, but have been on the same road.

i sent in my package UCIS, they recieved it and its under review for 1 month and couple days. i recieved the letter and confirmation e-mail with the code i can use to check up on the status, so thats where i am.

I did not make a duplicate of the package, but i can just redue the forms correct? i am kinda confused about the embassy process as to what i need to bring, ill look it up on visa websites. if i did nothing wrong, and filled everything right i should be looking at september ish for embassy interview.

one question i had is how will basically living in colombia effect the K-1 i filled for, i am not a resident, and enter the country on tourist visa, but i rent an apartment and spend more then 6 months in country, should i be honest and say i live there and work overseas, or simply say i vacation alot in colombia with my girl.

i am curious to know how osa did

Hi maritime,

It is always advisable to have duplicates of everything you submit. The post office and USCIS does lose stuff occasionally.

But as long as you didn’t send them originals of important documents, then yes, you can always reproduce the package if you have to.

As for living in Colombia, I don’t think being honest and truthful about it would hurt your chances at all. In fact, living together with her in her country shows that your relationship is serious and genuine, and ‘should’ make approval even easier.

They may have some questions about your intent to relocate stateside, but as long as you have a residence there and your job is independent of your location, I can’t see any problems.

I was curious why you didn’t go ahead and marry down there and petition her for a spouse immigrant visa.

I assume that you already downloaded the fiancée visa instruction and appointment packages from the US Embassy web site? That should give you a good idea of what you need for the interview and medical requirements.

Ray

Offline maritime04

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »
i choose they K-1 route becuase
1. gave me more time to decided if it was right for me
2. thought it would be faster, becuase marriage in colombia via church requires some classes and paper work, i heard some issues with K-3 and the immigrant visa process i did not like
3. will give her some time to see if she likes living in the states, and us as a USA couple.

i down loaded the instructions i found on the site and some stuff i found on U tube about the process.

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
why are you guys hijacking my thread?  start another thread!  this thread is sort of like a journal for me to keep track of progress and info, and you're muddying the waters.

or better yet, can an admin carve out these last few comments and make it into another thread?

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
Status update:

NVC received package from CIS on May 16th, and it has been forwarded to the embassy in Bogota.

I have been assigned a case number with the embassy starting with BGT

Things are chugging along now.

Offline Ray

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »

OK, if you want to this to be your private journal, then I won't resond any more.

You're on your own buddy...  :-*

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

Sounds great OSA, do you plan on going to the interview with your fiance?

Researcher

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »

OK, if you want to this to be your private journal, then I won't resond any more.

You're on your own buddy...  :-*

Ray

no, no.  I don't mind comments and discussion.  just don't turn it into a thread about someone else's case, cause that bad internet manners  ;D

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 47