It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Filipino, Colombian or Chinese??  (Read 19915 times)

Offline Bear

Re: Filipino, Colombian or Chinese??
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
When you talk about weight gain and soft drinks, I read a study several years back about high schools kids who drank 1 coke a day.  They said the results of that study showed an average weight gain of 14 lbs/year from drinking that 1 coke/day.  My ex drank 2 2-liter bottles each and every day.  When we divorced she was over 300 lbs and wondering why she couldn't lose weight (before the study came out).  Just my opinion but I think its the corn syrup that replaced the sugar that has caused these problems, corn syrup is worse than sugar healthwise (and that's not saying much for sugar either).

I see so many Asians eating worse that Americans and not gaining weight, I think it has a lot to do with the artificial food processing additives allowed by the FDA here in the states.  Also being a diabetic I know that the top things not to eat, being a diabetic, are "sugar, rice, bananas, ..." because of their high sugar content.  But 2 off the top 3 are a main ingredients for Asians. I had always thought Asians just ate rice and vegetables but boy was I wrong - mostly meats and starches, very few vegetables.

The Bear Family

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
Bear,

There is a brand of pop out now that uses sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Wild Harvest I think. About the same calories. The thing is with all the corn subsidies high fructose corn syrup is extremely cheap, which translates into super cheap empty calories. If a 2 liter of pop was $3-4 people would definitely drink less. Chips would also be much more expensive without the subsidies and less appealing. And meat would be leaner without the subsidies because they wouldn't be able to afford to fatten them up as much. Don't mean to rant too much but we're paying a lot in taxes to kill ourselves.

Bob S,

Beer dehydrates you do to the alcohol, right? I don't think it can really be used as a replacement to water. Anyways, I just meant that in Qingdao they drank a LOT of beer which can lead to weight gain just as easily as pop. Beer has more calories usually.

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
Beer dehydrates you do to the alcohol, right? I don't think it can really be used as a replacement to water. Anyways, I just meant that in Qingdao they drank a LOT of beer which can lead to weight gain just as easily as pop. Beer has more calories usually.
Up until recently in human history, ales and wine were a substitute for drinking water.  In the 16th century, you were considered a teetotaler if you only consumed half a bottle of wine a day.  It all depends on the amount of alcohol you consume in a sitting.  The alcohol in even weak beer will dehydrate you somewhat, but you get a lot of water from the food you eat, too (soups, stews, and you know cooked rice is loaded with water).  But drinking a lot of beer?  Heck yeah, you're right.  Hence the term "beer belly" for guys who drink like a fish;D
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »
1. Dublin Dr. Pepper
2. Mexican Coca Cola
3. Mexican Pepsi Cola
All of the above have real sugar and are readily available (well, at least where I live, your stores may not have as good a selection).

Speaking of beer being safer, they used to drink on long ocean voyages instead of water, because of germs and parasites in the water. The beer, having been boiled and having alcohol in it, would not spoil. The Mayflower put in at Plymouth instead of their intended destination because they were running out of beer.

Offline Dave H

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 04:06:47 AM »
Just my opinion but I think its the corn syrup that replaced the sugar that has caused these problems, corn syrup is worse than sugar healthwise (and that's not saying much for sugar either).

The Bear Family

Hey Bear,

I agree! Along with easily to obtain, high fat and calorie fast foods. In the US I would get the largest size soft drink at fast food restaurants or 7-Eleven and refill it. In the Philippines, about 8 ounces is all I want of a soft drink containing real sugar. I am completely satisfied. In the US, I bought Kosher Coke whenever I could, since it was made with sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup is in just about all US packaged foods these days from candy, catsup, cookies, to Coke (and I'm not even out of the "C"'s yet). HFCS is starting to creep ("may contain sugar or HFCS") into some products, including beverages, in the Philippines. I won't buy them!

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline Dave H

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 04:12:48 AM »
"Filipino, Colombian or Chinese??"

Hey Crashfire,

Whatever floats your boat!

P.S. Those were some very hot 16 y/o Latinas in your picture!  ;D

Dave

Offline crashfirepm53

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
16 y/o?? In that picture? Doubt it. 18-22 more than likely. How you figure 16, i'll never know. I have seen a few yung ins like that, but not many. Maybe you just want them to be 16???
J/K.

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 07:00:25 PM »
I had always thought Asians just ate rice and vegetables but boy was I wrong - mostly meats and starches, very few vegetables.
My girl's diet is the opposite of her family. She is a veggie first person (not a vegetarian) while the rest of her family are meat & fish people.

As for soda, I have almost cut it off (mainly because of HFCS) - I haven't had one in almost a year - the only "soda" I now drink is Ginger Ale.
My main drinks now are Pomegranate, Cranberry & Grapefruit Juice and of course water.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
My gal still first and foremost loves rice. That and rice are her favorite foods still--ha ha. Did I mention she loves rice? She still loves fish too--and gets together with a couple close friends and eats that nasty (to me anyway) dried fish that they love to cook up. Hard to get rid of the smell inside the house--she decided to get a little stove we keep outside just for that.

I am surprised, but she loves a really good steak, as i certainly do also, but she still likes hers well done for healthy reasons. As long as it's not still alive, I'll eat mine raw.
We both like chicken and vegies. but we should both eat more vegies --cooked and salads too, we feel.

We try and stay away from that nasty HFCS (hi fructose corn syrup) and although they're hard to avoid here, 'enriched' (non natural) foods. We try and avoid aspartame in the soda pop products--it's converts to formaldehyde at temperatures over 96 degrees, such as in our bodies, along with other odd things. Look it up!

Over all, we eat a western and eastern mix--probably more healthy overall for both of us. Surprising to me--my wife has developed a fancy for a good cup of tea--green or proper English--Irish as well! No milk or sugar added honey likes honey--just a wee bit, though.

I have tried just about every food over there and except for the dried fish and Duran, might eat any of them again. Out in the province, they occasionally kill cobra snakes cook and eat them, but I haven't been there when that's occurred. But hey, I've eaten other snakes and when I lived in the islands in the Caribbean, iguana and yes, they were just like chicken--the wife says so does a cobra!!

I don't think we will ever have to go to war with the Philippine's at least in the cities there--they have so many US fast food places--we're killing (those who can afford it anyways)--off with saturated fat!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
My girl was surprise when I told her that I do not eat rice daily - that I only eat it about 2-3 times a week.

HFCS and all these refined sweeteners - I try to stay away from them.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »
My girl was surprise when I told her that I do not eat rice daily - that I only eat it about 2-3 times a week.
According to my wife, in Japan, the stereotypical view of Americans is that we all eat steak and potatoes for dinner every day.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
"Steak and potatoes all day"? If it was healthy I'd probably be fine with that! 

Throw in some brocoli and occasional chicken and I'd be really fine...

Offline Bear

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »
You need to do more research on aspartame.  Its made from dried strawberries and bananas.  I read the formaldehyde was debunked on scopes.com as misinformation similar to saccharin causing cancer (that's if you drink over 2100 drinks with it a day).  As for the HFCS, I just don't know but it appears from common evidence (my observations) that it is really hurting America and should be banned.  Also the preservatives added to most foods we are told are safe but then health of Americans is dropping?  I do not see eating habits all that different from other places I've been and my post indicates that I think most other countries the people seem to eat worse; so what is causing our problems MUST be in the additives and altered foods.  Tried eating a watermelon lately?  They are plain nasty.

The Bear Family

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »

Bear--you're right! According to Wikipedia and the Lancet, below: the concerns about aspartame converting into methanol and then formaldehyde are ex agerated.

I need to stop bashing aspartame, and look at if spending extra money for the stevia extract we use is worth it--I think it does taste more like real sugar, though..

Wikpedia(below) isn't usually accepted as an academic scholarly source--most schools won't take it as a reference worthy of citation because anyone can edit, but it does deserve some credence, I feel.

The Lancet is very much a 'citation allowed' research source.

Snopes.com (not scopes.com, although that's an interesting site also) is an excellent site for referencing the many urban myths and mistruths and half truths out there.

>>From Wikipedia:
Methanol and formaldehyde
Approximately 10% of aspartame (by mass) is broken down into methanol in the small intestine. Most of the methanol is absorbed and quickly converted into formaldehyde and then to formic acid.[63] Some opponents of aspartame have falsely claimed that this causes metabolic acidosis[28]. The metabolism of aspartame does not damage the body because: (a) the quantity of methanol produced is too small to disrupt normal physiological processes;[61] (b) methanol and formaldehyde are natural by-products of human metabolism and are safely processed by various enzymes;[61] (c) there is more methanol in some natural fruit juices and alcoholic beverages than is derived from aspartame ingestion

>>>According to the NutraSweet company:

What is aspartame made of?

Aspartame is made from aspartic acid and phenylalanine, as the methyl ester. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are building blocks of protein and are found naturally in all protein-containing foods, including meats, grains and dairy products. Methyl esters are also common in many foods such as fruits, vegetables and their juices.<<

I was a little suprised that Wikipedia didn't cite more damning sources on high fructrose corn syrup. They did mention this interesting study:

>>In a 2007 study, rats were fed a diet high in fat and HFCS and kept relatively sedentary for 16 weeks in an attempt to emulate the diet and lifestyle of many Americans.[37] The rats were not forced to eat, but were able to eat as much as they wanted; they consumed a large amount of food, and the researcher, Dr. Tetri stated that there is evidence that fructose suppresses the sensation of fullness. Within four weeks, the rats showed early signs of fatty liver disease and type II diabetes. An equivalent diet using sucrose instead of HFCS was not tested.<<

I wonder what if the outcome would have been different if they took the TV remotes from those poor mice? Whadya think, Bear?

Anyway---I don't really trust the FDA a great deal, but I have to agree with you that aspartame has been unfairly subjected to bashing on the internet and I'm glad to have learned more about it!

Thanks!

Offline Dave H

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
16 y/o?? In that picture? Doubt it. 18-22 more than likely. How you figure 16, i'll never know. I have seen a few yung ins like that, but not many. Maybe you just want them to be 16???
J/K.

Actually, I was thinking 13-16. They mature very quickly. Around 15 is when the hip spread usually starts. They can diet and exercise, but they can't change the bone or hip structure. How would I know...I  lived it. ::) I started almost exclusively dating Latinas (from many countries) in 1969 when I was 12 (Venezuelan). No doubt, some very curvaceous ladies!  :o

Have you ever helped a size 6 or 9 Latina squeeze into a pair of size 3 jeans?  ;D

Dave

Very typical 14-15 y/o Latinas...the spread is starting

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:37:17 PM by Dave H »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »

Anyway---I don't really trust the FDA a great deal, but I have to agree with you that aspartame has been unfairly subjected to bashing on the internet and I'm glad to have learned more about it!

Thanks!

Hey Rob,

Maybe so...but I just don't like the taste!  ;)

Dave

Offline Dave H

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »
Not necessarily so. Probably the biggest factor is genetic/metabolism. A better test would be to take a look at her mama’s ass.

Ray

Hey Ray,

So VERY TRUE! That is the test that I have always used! It's worked very well for me!  :o

Dave

Offline sbcheflino

• Commercial Member
  • Love of My Life
    • Global Singles
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
I actually would have thought that picture was of asian girls...Little bit on the skinny side for a latin butt..

In my humble opinion...I do think that you must search long and hard for a girl like that.......and have some coin in your pocket to pull her away from her present sugar daddy....

May the force be with you ...good luck
I Hope to make the World a better place before I leave.

Come join us for free
http://www.globalsingles.com

Offline satori

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 07:13:54 AM »
With all due respect, I think you guys may want to rethink your conclusion on aspartame.  First, even small amounts of formaldehyde and methanol are damaging not just becasue they are toxic but also because they can set off a chain reaction of biochemical cascades.  There are significant differences between food derived glutamte/aspartate and synthetic.  Also, the approval of aspartame has a checkered history:

".....FDA denied aspartame approval for over 8 years until the newly appointed FDA commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes overruled the final scientic review panel, approved aspartame, and then went to work for G.D. Searle's (initial owner of aspartame) public relations firm at $1,000 a day. Hayes has refused all interviews to discuss his actions. The FDA also urged Congress to prosecute G.D. Searle for "specific false statements or concealed facts" stemming from Searle's testing of aspartame. However, the 2 government lawyers assigned to the case decided against prosecuting G.D. Searle and then joined G.D. Searle's law firm! Even the National Soft Drink Assn. filed a strong protest letter in 1983 against the approval of aspartame for use in beverages, saying "aspartame is inherently, markedly and uniquely unstable in aqueous media." Also, the FDA still allows hydrogenated oils to be used, does that make them safe?"

The industry has managed to make it illegal to use stevia as a food ingredient even though it has been used safely in many countries including Japan.

More at the link below:

http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »

She still loves fish too--and gets together with a couple close friends and eats that nasty (to me anyway) dried fish that they love to cook up.

Hey Robert, I’ll let you in on a little secret… that stinky dried fish and squid acts as an aphrodisiac.
You should be encouraging her to cook it more often!

I know a few guys who hate any kind of fish, fresh or otherwise, and forbid their Filipina wives to even bring it in their home. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

Ray

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
Have you ever helped a size 6 or 9 Latina squeeze into a pair of size 3 jeans?  ;D

Dave

Very typical 14-15 y/o Latinas...the spread is starting

14-15 ....wow i had better stay out of those latin american countrys then
I wouldn't want to end up in the "crow bar motel"  ;D ;D

piglett
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline Ray

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 06:24:02 AM »
With all due respect, I think you guys may want to rethink your conclusion on aspartame.  First, even small amounts of formaldehyde and methanol are damaging not just becasue they are toxic but also because they can set off a chain reaction of biochemical cascades.  There are significant differences between food derived glutamte/aspartate and synthetic.  Also, the approval of aspartame has a checkered history:

".....FDA denied aspartame approval for over 8 years until the newly appointed FDA commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes overruled the final scientic review panel, approved aspartame, and then went to work for G.D. Searle's (initial owner of aspartame) public relations firm at $1,000 a day. Hayes has refused all interviews to discuss his actions. The FDA also urged Congress to prosecute G.D. Searle for "specific false statements or concealed facts" stemming from Searle's testing of aspartame. However, the 2 government lawyers assigned to the case decided against prosecuting G.D. Searle and then joined G.D. Searle's law firm! Even the National Soft Drink Assn. filed a strong protest letter in 1983 against the approval of aspartame for use in beverages, saying "aspartame is inherently, markedly and uniquely unstable in aqueous media." Also, the FDA still allows hydrogenated oils to be used, does that make them safe?"

The industry has managed to make it illegal to use stevia as a food ingredient even though it has been used safely in many countries including Japan.

More at the link below:

http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »
"If the lightning don't get you, then the thunder will"

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »

Offline satori

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

I'm sorry, what is your experience in the industry?  Credentials?  Never mind.  You just keep on believing your health is their primary concern and act accordingly. 

Offline Ray

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »

Which industry is that? The baseless rumor industry?

No scientific studies, no hard evidence, just a bunch of worthless nonsense.

Sorry, but I have no respect for all these stupid Interent theories that are based on nothing more than ignorance and scare tactics.

Please come back when you have a solid scientific study to back up the nonsense...

I'll tell you what...you keep shaking with fear over a bunch of silly urban legends and I'll keep enjoying my Rum & Diet Cokes...

HIC!   :P

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864