It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: i am so confused/ getting married  (Read 2658 times)

Offline dakota5369

i am so confused/ getting married
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:44:21 AM »
reading the government sites are just too confusing.  i am going to marry a girl from panama.  she has a visa and can easily travel here.  the plan is for her to come here for (as she calls it) the legal marriage.  after this, she will return home and prepare for the church wedding a couple months later.  at this point, she would return to live here with me.  question is, what documents will she need for the legal marriage here in the US?   will her citizenship staus affect any of our plans?  she can still travel on one of her 2 visas, right?  and if so, we can just patiently wait for all the other crap to go through the process.  anyway, thanks for the advice in advance

Offline william3rd

Re: i am so confused/ getting married
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:21:30 AM »
What visa classes is she holding?

She cannot marry here in the US, return home, and then expect to travel back to the US on a nonimmigrant visa to file for immigration status.
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline dakota5369

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:22:52 PM »
she holds 2 visas.  one is a student visa which is good for a year.  the other is a journalism visa which is good for 5 years. 

on a side note, i just returned from panama yesterday.  i had to go to an engagement party and ask her parents to marry her in front of about 100 family members.  also, we were mentioned on 3 news programs and had a full page photo in the el siglo newspaper yesterday.  it was really strange walking around panama with her yesterday, because she is recognized by a large percentage of the people.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:22:52 PM »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:43:23 AM »
dakota,

Congratulations on your engagement!

If she marries in the States while she is here on a non-immigrant visa, she has two choices. She can stay here and apply for adjustment of status or she can return home and wait while you petition her for a spousal visa (CR-1/K-3).

Like William mentioned above, if she leaves the country after marrying, then it is fairly likely that she will not be permitted to re-enter on her current non-immigrant visas. After she is married to you, she becomes an intending immigrant and her student/journalist visas are not going to guarantee her entry.

Before you do anything, I would invest in a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to explore your options further. You may want to consider skipping the Stateside civil wedding and just having the church wedding down there.

On your question about which documents she will need to marry here, you should check with the local county office that issues marriage licenses for the jurisdiction where the wedding will take place. I think a certified copy of her birth certificate along with her passport or other photo ID should be plenty of documentation in most places.

Ray

Offline bigstew33

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »
Wow look at Ray whooping out some knowledge.  That's very impressive.  I like this side of you better than the bitter side that makes digs at people.  Applaud for you my friend

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
I like this side of you better than the bitter side that makes digs at people.

But I don't have a bitter side.

The ONLY reason I slapped you around Stew is because you struck the first blow...    ;D

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 72