It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Informal Marriage in Colombia...need some help here.  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10
Informal Marriage in Colombia...need some help here.
« on: June 16, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
My good friend has filed a Fiance Visa with a woman he met in Colombia. He is now considering having the wedding in Colombia because he feels it’s important for her family to be there. He still wants to continue with the Fiance Visa so I informed him that the wedding in Colombia must be an informal event (no paperwork) to prevent problems with the Embassy and his Fiance Visa processing. She is not Catholic so I am not sure where the "wedding" will take place. Does anyone have any knowledge of a similar situation?? Is there anything else I need to share with him??

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
Re: Informal Marriage in Colombia...need some help here.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »
If your friend marries and then she uses a fiancée visa to enter the country, they are committing visa fraud.

Ask him if he is willing to take a chance on having her denied entry or even possibly being banned from entering the U.S. for 10 years or longer.

If the answer is NO, then tell him to make up his mind. Either get married and re-file for a spouse visa or wait until she gets here and then marry as required by the K-1 visa rules. Trying to have it both ways is very risky and nobody on this forum should give him advice on how to commit fraud, IMHO.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »
No papers signed anywhere. No visits to clerk's offices or signing any documents before notaries. Most priests wont do it under those conditions-but donations help.

How about telling him to come back later after the civil ceremony in the US and do it then? The family will still be there when he gets back.
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »

Offline sean126

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
Chris F,

Is it safe to assume that you didn't read about what I did for my wife's family in Colombia?  It is along those lines as what your talking about, and perfectly legal. It was a blessing of the rings, but no vows of any kind took place...so it's not a "marriage" or "wedding".  No one is man or wife yet and it's definitely not going to jeopardize a fiance visa , but her family and friends get a chance to celebrate and give congratulations for the wedding they will miss in America.  (Two different immigration lawyers, with thousands of visas under their belts, already told me it isn't visa fraud.)

Thats about the only thing they can do without commiting fraud and getting in trouble, because they can't get married before she leaves.

What city is she in?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:35:41 PM by sean126 »

Offline william3rd

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »
Yep- that is true. Not fraud. Just not advisable. You should read the lengthy discussion on the issue as sean says.
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »
Kudos everyone for responding so quickly!! She is from Medellin.

I will pass on the info...

Thanks Again!!!!!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132