It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: DennisLevy, the old guard...  (Read 7017 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
DennisLevy, the old guard...
« on: April 24, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »

Hadn't looked at Dennis Levy's posts since he died, but did today--eeery--his last posts were 8 years ago to this day, shortly before his untimely murder.

Dennis lived life on his terms and it was a life well lived. We shared a lot about life, love, women and baseball.

He was helpful to a lot of people.

http://www.planet-love.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2185
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline ralphmalph

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: DennisLevy, the old guard...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:59 PM »
Amen to that loquacious one.

It is hard to believe that in has been 8 years now. I am still in touch with a few of Dennis's amigas from Colombia. And they, in the not to recent past, did ask about him. But I couldn't bring myself to get in touch with his widow after his murder. 

I didn't ever want to bring it up to her about my suspicions that his murder was a 'hit' job. And that murder like some many other in Colombia has never been solved.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:20:41 PM »
Amen to that loquacious one.

It is hard to believe that in has been 8 years now. I am still in touch with a few of Dennis's amigas from Colombia. And they, in the not to recent past, did ask about him. But I couldn't bring myself to get in touch with his widow after his murder. 

I didn't ever want to bring it up to her about my suspicions that his murder was a 'hit' job. And that murder like some many other in Colombia has never been solved.

What would make you think his murder was a hit job.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:20:41 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »
What would make you think his murder was a hit job.

Good question.  What seemed suspicious-- or 'curious' if you will? 

From what I heard,, it sounded like a botched robbery.  As a fellow savvy, native New Yorker, and then in addition, Dennis was no stranger to Colombia and surrounding nation's ways. He was street smart. I doubt if he would've fought over something like a laptop or phone. I know his budget was limited, but still....

So ironic that after having met up with literally 100s of women, he seemed to have finally found happiness with a 55 year old Colombiana wife.

Offline ralphmalph

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
Recent bride, joint planned trip to Bogotá the next day to sign legal papers of an undisclosed nature, recent bride runs family business jointly with nephew. Deceased admitting to me only a few weeks before that there was bad blood between deceased and nephew, Colombia.

It's a stretch but draw your own conclusions.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 10:39:17 AM »
Recent bride, joint planned trip to Bogotá the next day to sign legal papers of an undisclosed nature, recent bride runs family business jointly with nephew. Deceased admitting to me only a few weeks before that there was bad blood between deceased and nephew, Colombia.

this would not surprise me at all.  have a amiga here for a long time. professor at university teaching english. her mom died unexpectedly and had no will. only my friend, her mom  and an uncle lived in the house. about two months after the mom died, bad blood began between   my friend and the uncle .  the uncle claimed the mom left him the house with no proof... and soon it went to  a LONG court process. first judgement took 2 years and in favor of the daughter, uncle was to get nothing, so the uncle filed another case against  the daughter so she couldnt sell the house and its been in court ever sence. an aunt of the daughter  told her " close your facebook or any social media that shows you or where your living or working, your uncle was  overheard saying that soon the house would be his."  doesnt take much in colombia to know what that means.

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »
Hadn't looked at Dennis Levy's posts since he died, but did today--eeery--his last posts were 8 years ago to this day, shortly before his untimely murder.

Dennis lived life on his terms and it was a life well lived. We shared a lot about life, love, women and baseball.

Cant believe it's been 8 years!

Offline Calipro

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 01:24:06 PM »

It would be the first time I have ever heard of a Colombian Hitman staging a robbery to cover his real intentions

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
It would be the first time I have ever heard of a Colombian Hitman staging a robbery to cover his real intentions

Agreed. Seems like a bit of a stretch. As much as I communicated with Dennis and several of the people that knew him there, this is the first I’ve heard of foul play. There’s almost always bad blood when a gringo is involved from my experience. There’s either some long lost boyfriend that all of a sudden values the girl you’re dating/married to; some family member that feels they’re entitled to handouts you’ve refused to give...plenty of other things. Mostly harmless IMHO.

Dennis fighting over easily replaceable material things doesn’t make sense to me but I always assumed his intervention was to protect a woman. Something I could definitely see him doing. Again though...gotta agree with Cali. Sicarios just kill. No good reason to stage a scene or situation to make it look like something other than what it is. Most murders for hire in Colombia go unsolved for that very reason. They’re murders for hire.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:19:12 PM by benjio »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
Agreed. Seems like a bit of a stretch. As much as I communicated with Dennis and several of the people that knew him there, this is the first I’ve heard of foul play. There’s almost always bad blood when a gringo is involved from my experience. There’s either some long lost boyfriend that all of a sudden values the girl you’re dating/married to; some family member that feels they’re entitled to handouts you’ve refused to give...plenty of other things. Mostly harmless IMHO.

Dennis fighting over easily replaceable material things doesn’t make sense to me but I always assumed his intervention was to protect a woman. Something I could definitely see him doing. Again though...gotta agree with Cali. Sicarios just kill. No good reason to stage a scene or situation to make it look like something other than it is. Most murders for hire in Colombia go unsolved for that very reason. They’re murders for hire.
Based on his posts he did seem like a gentleman and very respectful towards women. Could definitely see him intervening on a women's behalf...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
Based on his posts he did seem like a gentleman and very respectful towards women. Could definitely see him intervening on a women's behalf...

I liked Dennis on a lot of fronts. Outside of P.L., we had some GREAT correspondence. He was more intelligent and multifaceted than most know.

But if you told  me 8 years ago that after 100's of meet ups with area women, that at age 58, he'd married a 55 y/o Colombiana (who I believe he truly loved), and that Zon would be married to a Midwestern USA girl, both living here in the USA, that Calipro would be married, with a daughter,  that Benjio would've taken the same marriage path, producing  a son,  that Mambo did likewise,  having kidS, I'd have said you were beyond insane--that NO way that was ever gonna happen.

There's other, similar P.L. members too, some seemingly good guys.

I don't grasp the culture, but you guys have been gentle, explaining I really don't 'get' or comprehend  the 'Colombian ways', but I really scratch my head about how things turned out.

I really enjoyed following your single life stories down there. I had it pretty good being a 'player' in the Philippines and it's even better married to one, but I'll admit I was envious, wishing if I couldn't actually 'experience' Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru in real life and live that lifestyle, that like a voyeur, I could've at least been the proverbial 'fly on the wall.' --watching 'love/sex/romance, South American style.'

As such, I thought: (think/feel) "I like you guys', you 'ballers' --how you played a fertile playing field in an admirable way.

Over the years, far more P.L  guys crashed and burned, while youz gave up what sounded to me like a scenario better wonderfully left alone-- 'single' with that seemingly endless stream of beautiful 'hotties' -- and in a land where the US Dollar stretches pretty far.

But again, if you told me then how things would be '8 years' from now, (today) I'd have thought: VERY unlikely!!'

Offline Calipro

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 08:10:19 AM »
I liked Dennis on a lot of fronts. Outside of P.L., we had some GREAT correspondence. He was more intelligent and multifaceted than most know.

But if you told  me 8 years ago that after 100's of meet ups with area women, that at age 58, he'd married a 55 y/o Colombiana (who I believe he truly loved), and that Zon would be married to a Midwestern USA girl, both living here in the USA, that Calipro would be married, with a daughter,  that Benjio would've taken the same marriage path, producing  a son,  that Mambo did likewise,  having kidS, I'd have said you were beyond insane--that NO way that was ever gonna happen.

There's other, similar P.L. members too, some seemingly good guys.

I don't grasp the culture, but you guys have been gentle, explaining I really don't 'get' or comprehend  the 'Colombian ways', but I really scratch my head about how things turned out.

I really enjoyed following your single life stories down there. I had it pretty good being a 'player' in the Philippines and it's even better married to one, but I'll admit I was envious, wishing if I couldn't actually 'experience' Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru in real life and live that lifestyle, that like a voyeur, I could've at least been the proverbial 'fly on the wall.' --watching 'love/sex/romance, South American style.'

As such, I thought: (think/feel) "I like you guys', you 'ballers' --how you played a fertile playing field in an admirable way.

Over the years, far more P.L  guys crashed and burned, while youz gave up what sounded to me like a scenario better wonderfully left alone-- 'single' with that seemingly endless stream of beautiful 'hotties' -- and in a land where the US Dollar stretches pretty far.

But again, if you told me then how things would be '8 years' from now, (today) I'd have thought: VERY unlikely!!'

It wasn't like Dennis had his pick of the litter. He may have went on hundreds of dates and I'm not sure he had sex with any of them. It is possible that the 55 year old was the only one truly interested in him.  I think he should have gone to the Philippines to tell you the truth.

Zon came down to Cali to open a webcam studio which he did. And although he dated a few hot women there he was never enamored with Caleñas on the whole.....he didn't like their lack of worldliness and that he couldn't have conversations about politics or other things that interested him. And when I pressed him on what he though of the sex with young beautiful Caleñas.
He told me that looks weren't all that important to him and that he often thought of other women while having sex anyway.
Needless to say I never brought up the subject again. Jajaja

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 08:36:07 AM »
It wasn't like Dennis had his pick of the litter. He may have went on hundreds of dates and I'm not sure he had sex with any of them. It is possible that the 55 year old was the only one truly interested in him.  I think he should have gone to the Philippines to tell you the truth.

Zon came down to Cali to open a webcam studio which he did. And although he dated a few hot women there he was never enamored with Caleñas on the whole.....he didn't like their lack of worldliness and that he couldn't have conversations about politics or other things that interested him. And when I pressed him on what he though of the sex with young beautiful Caleñas.
He told me that looks weren't all that important to him and that he often thought of other women while having sex anyway.
Needless to say I never brought up the subject again. Jajaja

Dennis definitely had his 'type' of female he preferred and it wasn't the stereotypical 'hottie' chica gal that comes to most guy's minds, I don't think. I'm definitely not insinuating his taste in women was weird or strange. But he sure as hell had a lot of 'coffees' with a lot of different women, from all walks of life and from a number of nations. He didn't mind if a woman had a few extra pounds, if she interested him mentally and physically.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 08:36:07 AM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 09:11:26 AM »

Dennis definitely had his 'type' of female he preferred and it wasn't the stereotypical 'hottie' chica gal that comes to most guy's minds, I don't think. I'm definitely not insinuating his taste in women was weird or strange. But he sure as hell had a lot of 'coffees' with a lot of different women, from all walks of life and from a number of nations. He didn't mind if a woman had a few extra pounds, if she interested him mentally and physically.

I’ve said a million times on this board that although there’s nothing wrong with dating really hot women in Latin America, their looks usually come at some cost to their virtue. I think Dennis had gotten to the point I’m in now. I’ve sewn my royal oats in Colombia, Brazil and a few other countries that aren’t even worth a trip report. I used to come back to the U.S. and show my American Friends pictures of women they couldn’t believe I didn’t pay for. A couple of women so attractive they would freeze any room they walked into. These days, meh. Truth is if there’s no substance there, something to admire, something in common, as soon as you ejaculate the most beautiful woman that’s ever stripped her clothes off in front of you becomes just another chick. Don’t get me wrong...I need to be physically attracted to a woman to date her seriously!!! But do I need the absolutely, positively most beautiful woman that’s willing to date me based on my looks and financial standing? HELL NO!!! Give me a solid Colombian 7 any day!!!

I also kind of respected Dennis for dating in his age range. There are plenty of 20 something Colombianas willing to commit themselves to a man 15-20 years their senior if it comes with a meal ticket, but Dennis wasn’t about that. And that’s something I just won’t do. I’ll be 40 this year but 25-30  will be my range for a while to come.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
I’ve said a million times on this board that although there’s nothing wrong with dating really hot women in Latin America, their looks usually come at some cost to their virtue. I think Dennis had gotten to the point I’m in now. I’ve sewn my royal oats in Colombia, Brazil and a few other countries that aren’t even worth a trip report. I used to come back to the U.S. and show my American Friends pictures of women they couldn’t believe I didn’t pay for. A couple of women so attractive they would freeze any room they walked into. These days, meh. Truth is if there’s no substance there, something to admire, something in common, as soon as you ejaculate the most beautiful woman that’s ever stripped her clothes off in front of you becomes just another chick. Don’t get me wrong...I need to be physically attracted to a woman to date her seriously!!! But do I need the absolutely, positively most beautiful woman that’s willing to date me based on my looks and financial standing? HELL NO!!! Give me a solid Colombian 7 any day!!!

I also kind of respected Dennis for dating in his age range. There are plenty of 20 something Colombianas willing to commit themselves to a man 15-20 years their senior if it comes with a meal ticket, but Dennis wasn’t about that. And that’s something I just won’t do. I’ll be 40 this year but 25-30  will be my range for a while to come.

Some call it 'settling' for less--I call it 'balance' but all too often, the real hot chicks,  who make you wanna bust a nut the most, are coming up at least a bit short on the 'live with, 24X7' overall personality scale.

Just think: How many days, with limited provisions, could I survive at sea in a lifeboat with 'X' before tossing her?

We all love maximum eye candy adorning our arm and bed, but after the first chase & conquest in bed, or typically after a while anyhow---it's just not as intense. By my mid 40's, I didn't want to keep repeating the 'Hunt, chase, conquer, blow up, start all over' cycle. For a while, the chase and hunt, the ego boost with success, was great.  But hot women are often like gasoline. Or heroin---you need a new, better, bigger 'fix'.

Neither's typically good long term.

Then if babes are taking 2 or 3 hours to get dolled up, that's nice in a way, I mean I guess that's a way of showing 'they care'--but overall, I couldn't roll with that style fast enough. I can't deal with the waiting--Benjio's had to end things because of that--after like a gent, warning her, as I seem to recall.

Lord--especially in the USA in professional circles, you can sometimes hardly recognize women you've known for years, if they don't have their 'mask of makeup' on their face and hair. To an extent, we're seeing it more live lately, as my wife's company has employees from coast to coast--USA and Canada all working from home--like 20 screens of 20 faces, all meeting via Zoom. Dey is some ugly white women out dere in corporate America!

My wife will always wish that like the Ms. Universes from the Philippines (typically they're tall, Euro-Asian minxes) stunners, that she too was 7 inches taller and with a longer nose, but those 'short comings' are my luck. She's like my favorite Levi's--wash and wear, everyday looks good naturally. Regular work days, she's awake and office professional pretty, nice dress, touch of makeup, glorious hair--all in 35 minutes. That includes my lemon juice, coffee and breakfast!

Because she's NOT a Sofiia Vegara or a Miss Universe there's actually a little 'underdog insecurity' in her that makes her a nicer person and a harder 'team's worker--that stuff works in my--really in everyone else's favor. She's just the most modest, smiling and easy to get along with pretty lady around. Zero diva, zero 'attitude' unless someone really needs to be 'told off'. At work or at Walmart--IF they 'cross that line.'

I'm sure that Dennis would've liked her--as well as Whitey's lovely Colombiana (BQ) wife, Nazley, who shares a lot of the same qualities.

Nazley's proof that there are some very beautiful women in S. American cities who have sweet, down to earth type personalities. Pretty,   expressive & feminine but the polar opposite of 'prima donna.'

It's just finding that 'balance' again--it's not common.

Long term, I'd rather have a babe who wishes she looks like Miss Universe, than one who thinks she looks like Miss Universe.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:01:18 PM by robert angel »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
The hotter they are, the higher the maintenance.

Offline ralphmalph

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »
I remember Dennis telling me that after his trip to Peru, he decided to go back to Medellin and marry his bride who he had dated a year or two before and the reason why he settled down with her was that she had a great sense of humor.

And isn't that what most of us want first and foremost? To be with a woman who you can share a laugh with living in such a crazy mixed up world such as it is.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 05:09:43 AM »
I remember Dennis telling me that after his trip to Peru, he decided to go back to Medellin and marry his bride who he had dated a year or two before and the reason why he settled down with her was that she had a great sense of humor.

And isn't that what most of us want first and foremost? To be with a woman who you can share a laugh with living in such a crazy mixed up world such as it is.

He liked teaching English in Peru.He seemed contented with life overall, introspective about his life, aware that he was getting closer to age sixty. He was looking forward to even better days.

In one of our last letters, on his beloved NY Yankees upcoming 162 game season (he was a HUGE fan):

"Hope everything is aces for you. I am also happy because baseball has started and I have another 162 lives to lead"

Ironic.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:31:51 AM by robert angel »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »

Dennis did it his way, in a way that perhaps a lot of lurkers here, and/or dreamers, might be inspired by.

Here you had a guy past his mid 50s, far from Hollywood handsome, a bit paunchy and limited in budget.
He went alone to a very foreign country, actually countries, in South America, where in short order, he was having 'coffees' with 5, even 6 women a day, sometimes.
He was interested in it all, actually learning the language pretty well, picking up on the culture and  (he'd like the pun) on the women too.
He was interested in the women head to toe, (including in the middle, too LOL) yet he was interested in their 'stories' --their lives and how the culture made them as they were. The bigger picture.
He was a target of cheap shots here on PL at times, but despite thinking of forgetting, about 'writing off' the ship of fools that  PL was pretty much then, he stayed,  stood his ground, helping others.
In a relevant,  readable way, he expressed himself. He told of life abroad, the good and the bad, about the experiences he enjoyed, and overall, they were good, memorable times.

Most guys never get on the plane.

RIP Dennis.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:45:57 PM by robert angel »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
Dennis did it his way, in a way that perhaps a lot of lurkers here, and/or dreamers, might be inspired by.

Here you had a guy past his mid 50s, far from Hollywood handsome, a bit paunchy and limited in budget.
He went alone to a very foreign country, actually countries, in South America, where in short order, he was having 'coffees' with 5, even 6 women a day, sometimes.
He was interested in it all, actually learning the language pretty well, picking up on the culture and  (he'd like the pun) on the women too.
He was interested in the women head to toe, (including in the middle, too LOL) yet he was interested in their 'stories' --their lives and how the culture made them as they were. The bigger picture.
He was a target of cheap shots here on PL at times, but despite thinking of forgetting, about 'writing off' the ship of fools that  PL was pretty much then, he stayed,  stood his ground, helping others.
In a relevant,  readable way, he expressed himself. He told of life abroad, the good and the bad, about the experiences he enjoyed, and overall, they were good, memorable times.

Most guys never get on the plane.

RIP Dennis.
I remember someone incredulously asked him here if his PL handle  was actually his real name and he said of course! Just seemed like a pretty genuine guy....

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
I remember someone incredulously asked him here if his PL handle  was actually his real name and he said of course! Just seemed like a pretty genuine guy....

My avatar or handle isreal as well.

LX Pat Riado

Lionel Xavier Patrick Riado :)

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 11:59:40 AM »
  That was one of those murders that really caught me off guard. I thought at the time it was just someone spreading a false rumor, I had hoped anyway!!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
  That was one of those murders that really caught me off guard. I thought at the time it was just someone spreading a false rumor, I had hoped anyway!!

If you look back in the archives here, you know it's not as unusual as one would think.  And it's not just sketchy gringos that turn up dead, after a few years in Colombia.

Good to see you back, Fuzzy--- where you been?

I think when you get to 2000 PL posts, Dan sends you a box of fruit loops!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:24:59 PM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
If you look back in the archives here, you know it's not as unusual as one would think.  And it's not just sketchy gringos that turn up dead, after a few years in Colombia.

Good to see you back, Fuzzy--- where you been?

I think when you get to 2000 PL posts, Dan sends you a box of fruit loops!

Thanks for pointing out how useless this board is again.

If you want to improve your chances of not being murdered the stats beat out anecdote observations every time.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/news/2019/07/24/most-dangerous-cities-world-tijuana-caracas-cape-town/1813211001/

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 05:28:23 AM »
If yoou want to avoid being murdered treat people nice and dont dar papaya..and livein smaller safer places

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300