It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: crime in Colombia and other parts of LA set to rise?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
crime in Colombia and other parts of LA set to rise?
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
friend mentioned  this to me, which i really didnt think about before. with the lock-down and the economy about to take a hit in Colombia and the rest of the world, theirs going to be a lot of unemployed people with little too no food or money. And the govt set to relax the lock-down  soon. the virus cases here are going to go up...... a lot or not, dont know. but something to think about

also, if you need to contact the US embassy or look for a flight.... link below

https://co.usembassy.gov/

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: crime in Colombia and other parts of LA set to rise?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »
friend mentioned  this to me, which i really didnt think about before. with the lock-down and the economy about to take a hit in Colombia and the rest of the world, theirs going to be a lot of unemployed people with little too no food or money. And the govt set to relax the lock-down  soon. the virus cases here are going to go up...... a lot or not, dont know. but something to think about

also, if you need to contact the US embassy or look for a flight.... link below

https://co.usembassy.gov/

https://www.cfr.org/conference-calls/latin-americas-response-covid-19
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 03:34:18 AM »

The initial (or immediate response) seems to be a decrease in homicides in several Latin American countries including El Salvador, Honduras and Colombia.

There are more people at home so criminals have fewer targets as the above countries have fairly strict shelter in place policies. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-latin-america-el-salvador-homicides-covid19/

Unfortunately for Mexico the homicide rate in March actually was the highest since Obrador took office.

The long term picture could play out differently across the region....and there are some reports indicating domestic violence could already be on the rise.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:38:26 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 03:34:18 AM »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:27:56 AM »
The initial (or immediate response) seems to be a decrease in homicides in several Latin American countries including El Salvador, Honduras and Colombia.

There are more people at home so criminals have fewer targets as the above countries have fairly strict shelter in place policies. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-latin-america-el-salvador-homicides-covid19/

Unfortunately for Mexico the homicide rate in March actually was the highest since Obrador took office.

The long term picture could play out differently across the region....and there are some reports indicating domestic violence could already be on the rise.
colombia's death rate has dropped , no motos running all lover the place, no gangs / narcos killing people. rebels called 30 day cease fire.... but  as the lock-down ends, and all these pent up people at home,  and some with no jobs now and little money or food, and  soon to be able to leave the houses...... ummmmm :o

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »
colombia's death rate has dropped , no motos running all lover the place, no gangs / narcos killing people. rebels called 30 day cease fire.... but  as the lock-down ends, and all these pent up people at home,  and some with no jobs now and little money or food, and  soon to be able to leave the houses...... ummmmm :o

So which one of those humanitarian flights are you going to be on. Jajaja

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:20:00 PM »
The U.S. Embassy is pleased announce Spirit Airlines will operate three additional humanitarian flights.  One flight will depart April 30 from Alfonso Bonilla Aragón International Airport (CLO) in Cali.  A second flight will depart May 1 from José María Córdova International Airport (MDE) in Medellin.  A third flight will depart May 3 from El Dorado International Airport (BOG) in Bogotá.  All three flights will arrive at Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport (FLL) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

These flights have been made available to allow U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents to return to the United States.  Please contact Spirit Airlines directly for seat availability, reservations, and pricing information.

THESE FLIGHTS CAN ONLY BE BOOKED ONLINE.

If you are interested in returning to the United States, please take advantage of these flights.  The U.S. government cannot guarantee the ability to arrange flights indefinitely.  U.S. citizens should return immediately to the United States, unless you are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

If you purchase a ticket on one of these flights, and encounter difficulties traveling to the airport from your location, please contact us at ColombiaEvac@state.gov or (57) 1 275-2000.  We have received reports that taxis and bus companies continue to operate, albeit at reduced and limited schedules.  If you believe you will have difficulty reaching the airport due to travel restrictions, please provide us with your travel information (name, passport number, what flight you have reservations on) and, if applicable, information about your driver (name, cedula, vehicle make/model and license plate number, route of ground transport - starting point, destination, stops).

SPIRIT AIRLINES FLIGHT NUMBER: NK#6383
ORIGIN: CLO
DEPARTURE (LOCAL TIME): 11:00am
DESTINATION: FLL
ARRIVAL (LOCAL TIME): 4:00pm
DATE: 30-APR

SPIRIT AIRLINES FLIGHT NUMBER: NK#6384
ORGIN: MDE
DEPARTURE TIME (LOCAL TIME): 11:30am
DATE: 1-MAY

SPIRIT AIRLINES FLIGHT NUMBER: NK#6324
ORGIN: BOG
DEPARTURE TIME (LOCAL TIME): 11:00am
ARRIVAL (LOCAL TIME): 4:00am
DATE: 3-MAY

ops, wrong part,
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:54:03 PM by mudd »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
The U.S. Embassy is pleased announce Spirit Airlines will operate three additional humanitarian flights.  One flight will depart April 30 from Alfonso Bonilla Aragón International Airport (CLO) in Cali.  A second flight will depart May 1 from José María Córdova International Airport (MDE) in Medellin.  A third flight will depart May 3 from El Dorado International Airport (BOG) in Bogotá.  All three flights will arrive at Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport (FLL) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

These flights have been made available to allow U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents to return to the United States.  Please contact Spirit Airlines directly for seat availability, reservations, and pricing information.

THESE FLIGHTS CAN ONLY BE BOOKED ONLINE.

If you are interested in returning to the United States, please take advantage of these flights.  The U.S. government cannot guarantee the ability to arrange flights indefinitely.  U.S. citizens should return immediately to the United States, unless you are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

If you purchase a ticket on one of these flights, and encounter difficulties traveling to the airport from your location, please contact us at ColombiaEvac@state.gov or (57) 1 275-2000.  We have received reports that taxis and bus companies continue to operate, albeit at reduced and limited schedules.  If you believe you will have difficulty reaching the airport due to travel restrictions, please provide us with your travel information (name, passport number, what flight you have reservations on) and, if applicable, information about your driver (name, cedula, vehicle make/model and license plate number, route of ground transport - starting point, destination, stops).

SPIRIT AIRLINES FLIGHT NUMBER: NK#6383
ORIGIN: CLO
DEPARTURE (LOCAL TIME): 11:00am
DATE: 30-APR

SPIRIT AIRLINES FLIGHT NUMBER: NK#6384
ORGIN: MDE
DEPARTURE TIME (LOCAL TIME): 11:30am
DATE: 1-MAY

SPIRIT AIRLINES FLIGHT NUMBER: NK#6324
ORGIN: BOG
DEPARTURE TIME (LOCAL TIME): 11:00am
ARRIVAL (LOCAL TIME): 4:00am
DATE: 3-MAY

ops, wrong part,

I guess you aren't leaving anytime soon then.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:53:02 AM »

I guess you aren't leaving anytime soon then.

Hes trying to get you to go I think.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:16:47 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »

LMAO!  From your perspective the glass is ALWAYS half-empty.

Are these just "public service announcements" regarding flights out of the country or are you actually going to leave?

Do you actually like living in Colombia....I mean "Man" Diego is a nice city but not necessarily for all things.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:53 AM »

Are these just "public service announcements" regarding flights out of the country or are you actually going to leave?

Do you actually like living in Colombia....I mean "Man" Diego is a nice city but not necessarily for all things.

Mudd is never going to leave Medellin....he bought an apartment here. Guys that buy property here plan to live the rest of there lives here.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »

I ask myself the same thing about a lot of guys I know that live there. Even Jamie, when you get to know him well enough to have real conversations with him, had very little good to say about the country. I’ve only done a year there all at once but I rather enjoy it. There are cultural aspects that are inconvenient and at times downright annoying but I’ve always enjoyed the slower pace. Women aren’t too bad looking either.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 07:36:35 PM »

Hes just trying to scare the Newbies away to bring the gringo count down.

I think the COVID scare and resulting economic depression will do that for the next couple years by its self.

Wont stop me from.travelling and enjoying life though. As soon as the open up travel restrictions within and without Colombia I am taking advantage of it.

Not gonna be cowering in my apartment like a Nervous Nellie.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »
I ask myself the same thing about a lot of guys I know that live there. Even Jamie, when you get to know him well enough to have real conversations with him, had very little good to say about the country. I’ve only done a year there all at once but I rather enjoy it. There are cultural aspects that are inconvenient and at times downright annoying but I’ve always enjoyed the slower pace. Women aren’t too bad looking either.

Getting to know if you can happily, healthily live abroad takes quite a while.  Probably a bit longer in a 3rd world nation, than say, Switzerland. I think after a year,  you mentally know if you can accept the day to day life. The culture. That includes the pace, the food, attitudes and practices of day to day life, assuming you're not living an isolated, expensive expatriate existence.

In that case, in your gated community, USA style foods shipped in you're, you're really not 'living' fully in their country.

I'm told that it takes a few years before the purely physical toll begins to manifest itself. The air and water quality, cleanliness of the land, of readily available food and as needed, medical practices, 'the grind' begins to show.

A few years of it happening gradually, you might not notice the difference comparing how you felt day one versus three years later, but it typically does take it's toll, both mentally and physically.

And that doesn't include getting robbed, run over by a moto or being a target for native's ire  because many feel all foreigners are negative opportunists.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 09:12:55 PM »
Getting to know if you can happily, healthily live abroad takes quite a while.  Probably a bit longer in a 3rd world nation, than say, Switzerland. I think after a year,  you mentally know if you can accept the day to day life. The culture. That includes the pace, the food, attitudes and practices of day to day life, assuming you're not living an isolated, expensive expatriate existence.

In that case, in your gated community, USA style foods shipped in you're, you're really not 'living' fully in their country.

I'm told that it takes a few years before the purely physical toll begins to manifest itself. The air and water quality, cleanliness of the land, of readily available food and as needed, medical practices, 'the grind' begins to show.

A few years of it happening gradually, you might not notice the difference comparing how you felt day one versus three years later, but it typically does take it's toll, both mentally and physically.

And that doesn't include getting robbed, run over by a moto or being a target for native's ire  because many feel all foreigners are negative opportunists.

I think you should come to Colombia.
When I came here ....there where US department of State warnings against Americans traveling to Colombia.
It's safe now ....even women and children vacation here. LOL

https://thecitypaperbogota.com/travel/colombias-tourism-continues-to-increase-setting-new-record-for/19984

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:24:35 PM by Calipro »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »
I think you should come to Colombia.
When I came here ....there where US department of State warnings against Americans traveling to Colombia.
It's safe now ....even women and children vacation here. LOL

https://thecitypaperbogota.com/travel/colombias-tourism-continues-to-increase-setting-new-record-for/19984

Except for regretting not knowing Spanish, I'm sure I'd love it and find it intoxicatingly different in Colombia. There's obviously a lot to see and take in. I like places with energy.

A while back, I was worried about being kidnapped and literally losing my head at one point in a rather active part of my wife's country. (I took precautions) Another time, different woman, city, we hunkered down during an attempted coupe d 'eat, in a locked  down Manila, tanks, machine guns all around. Narly.

Just inconveniences at the time, as I still enjoyed the trips. If you're with the right person, a hotel room,
--even sitting at a bus stop, can be great.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:34:27 AM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467