It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Tree view type format  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Pete E

Tree view type format
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:51:07 PM »
I must say I greatly prefer the tree view type format,like Planet love was untill recently.You not only see who is saying what but who is responding.And all the posts are together,easy to scan to see whats going on.
I think this format is boring and splits up the energy,and when things are tending to boring I don't think its a good idea to split up the energy.
Just my opinion.Doesn't seem like much is going on here since the change.

Pete

Offline Traveller

Tree view type format
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 05:00:16 PM »
I didn't want to say anything since this was your "Baby" and all, but I'm with you. I like the old format.

Offline Patrick

Tree view type format
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »
I've seen, and participated, in both types.  I think it's just hard to get used to the format after you've been looking at a tree-view type for so long, but you eventually get used to it.

You can see all the topics once you go to a category (e.g Latin-> General Discussion, you just don't see all the replies to the topics in the primary view.  Everything except trip reports will be there, so seeing all the topics won't be hard.  You just won't see the replies to each topic until you open the topic.  You'll actually be able to see more topics with this view type since all the replies to each topic don't clutter the main view.  It also brings a topic to the top of the page when a new post is made in it, so if a conversation is active, it gets seen.  The old system would scroll a topic off the board as new topics were posted (and transfer it into the archives). You could no longer reply to it once it's in the archives.

The overriding advantage this has is that the software (phpBB) is being constantly developed (by someone other than myself) with new features being added.  I won't have to code to add new features now, as I did with the code at PL.  Over time these programs tend to grow and become less managable.  And over time anyone running one of these sites, especially when it's done as a hobby, is going to burn out on writing and maintaining the code base.

Planet-Love.com

Tree view type format
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »

Offline papi

forum
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
i know there are many other forums in this format but i am with Pete on this too. i know you put a lot of work into this..sorry
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline EbonyPrince

Patience
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:52:13 PM »
I must say I greatly prefer the tree view type format,like Planet love was untill recently.You not only see who is saying what but who is responding.And all the posts are together,easy to scan to see whats going on.

It is so funny to hear guys speak up :lol:.  I admit that I felt the same way initially.  There were some nice features with the tree view, but there are some equally nice things with this format also.  I like the continuity.  The conversation flows down.  It just takes some getting used to.  Being a tech guy myself, I know how difficult change is for people.  I am actually starting to get used to this format, and I am starting to like a lot of the features.

I think this format is boring and splits up the energy,and when things are tending to boring I don't think its a good idea to split up the energy.
Just my opinion.Doesn't seem like much is going on here since the change.

It did seem somewhat boring at first and maybe still is to a point.  I think it is because the forum is new.  I was waiting to see how much was going to be ported over from the old format.  There were also some lull periods on the other site.  As people become comfortable with this format, you will see more posts.  I think the funniest thing thus far was Ray pouncing on the troll and the troll getting pissed.  That was hilarious.  I also like the comment about papi's whining from Patrick :lol:.

Good things come in time.  I think we just have to be patient.  I heard that if you do something for two weeks, then it will become habit.  So in a couple of weeks, you probably won't even notice the change.

Offline Beattledog

combing
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 07:03:01 AM »
Perhaps, both ways can be used on this board.  Just an idea

Beattledog

Offline Cali James

Tree type format
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »
I can appreciate some of the reasons for changing to the new format but I tend to agree with Pete on this one.  I think the new format is not nearly as interesting as the old one.  Yes, now we have polls and avatars but I think the old format was much more conducive to participation, which is 95% of what makes a forum interesting.  I guess only time will tell but I'll be surprised if participation does not go down.

Offline Patrick

Change is nearly always unwelcomed
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »
I think it'll just take time.  I've participated for a couple of years  in two other forums (regarding investments and computers)  that both use this view type.  After getting used to them, I prefer them to ther PL tree view.

I can guarantee everyone that if the old forum were this flat view and I had chanegd to a tree view, we'd all be having this same conversation, only in reverse.

Use of this type software that doesn't require coding is what we need.  My goal is to either find someone to take over, or get enough people interested in participating that we have someone to run all parts of the site without me having to do anything.  If running the site requires programming skills, then that drastically reduces the number of people who could run the site.

Offline pantherX

• Probie
Tree view type format
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »
as a new member but someone that has been reading posts for well over a year , i think this format is a 1000% better, easy to follow ,quicker, IMO. i believe you will get more people entering the forums now.

Offline papi

cunado
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
Hey CJ, i have not seen you post in a longtime. Did yu know you were almost my cunado??? long story but i introduced a past mutual friend to an amigo of mine and they seem to be doing well from what i am told
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline WS244

tree setup
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
Kind of like a Ford versus a Chevrolet.  With the tree format however it is much easier to quickly determine current subjects on hand without endless clicks and pages, etc.

Offline Patrick

Re: tree setup
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 01:53:21 PM »
Quote from: WS244
Kind of like a Ford versus a Chevrolet.  With the tree format however it is much easier to quickly determine current subjects on hand without endless clicks and pages, etc.

It's only one more click actually.  What you don't see is all the replies to a topic until you open it.  If you're not a regular reader of the trip reports section, you could even book mark the Latin -> General Discussion forum and see all the topics without any clicks.

Offline Colombian Services

• Commercial Member
    • Bogota Colombia Lodging - Flower Delivery Service
New Style format
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 01:02:17 PM »
"Change is nearly always unwelcomed"

I agree with Patrick on this one even though I lean toward the tree view.

The forum www.colombianblog.com started out with the newer style forum three months ago and has steady growth and everyone seems pleased with the format.

Planet-Love.com

New Style format
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 01:02:17 PM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats