It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Travel outside the normal places  (Read 2205 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Travel outside the normal places
« on: September 11, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
Had a bang up good time in Western Europe. Flew into London a go go, onto sacking Paris, did a couple thousand miles over land to Rome, Geneva et, also moved on foot 5, 6 miles a day. Five countries, at least a dozen cities.

Will no longer hold the French people in contempt--very agreeable.  Cote d Azure --French Riviera was 'Nice' --as was Monaco/Monte Carlo--unreal how many billions there just in yachts alone.

Cheapest souvenirs ironically were in Monaco/M.C., most expensive everything in Switzerland 2X.

Overall, cost of hotels and especially meals, was surprisingly good. I gained about a pound a day! Gotta lift some weights.

Venice was a hot lover's delight, but Paris is the next 'go back to' spot. They say you fall in love in Paris and f__k like hell in Rome and I own that now.

But next year 3-4 weeks in Philippines and hopefully a week or so in Barcelona expected first.  Wouldn't mind a national park/Rockies break b4 tackling Europe again.

But be it your best GF, wife whatever, I think y'all would dig it. We literally got lost in Paris--the underground at closing, no cash--long story,  but happy ending.

For the stray dogs, I saw a fair amount of P4P girls, even before lunchtime in the nicer part of the cities somedays, lol.

More layers to the onion than I could peel, I suppose

But something different and fun for everyone, great people watching places-- time flows differently.

Finally getting the hang of this retirement thing!!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: Travel outside the normal places
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »
Had a bang up good time in Western Europe. Flew into London a go go, onto sacking Paris, did a couple thousand miles over land to Rome, Geneva et, also moved on foot 5, 6 miles a day. Five countries, at least a dozen cities.

Will no longer hold the French people in contempt--very agreeable.  Cote d Azure --French Riviera was 'Nice' --as was Monaco/Monte Carlo--unreal how many billions there just in yachts alone.

Cheapest souvenirs ironically were in Monaco/M.C., most expensive everything in Switzerland 2X.

Overall, cost of hotels and especially meals, was surprisingly good. I gained about a pound a day! Gotta lift some weights.

Venice was a hot lover's delight, but Paris is the next 'go back to' spot. They say you fall in love in Paris and f__k like hell in Rome and I own that now.

But next year 3-4 weeks in Philippines and hopefully a week or so in Barcelona expected first.  Wouldn't mind a national park/Rockies break b4 tackling Europe again.

But be it your best GF, wife whatever, I think y'all would dig it. We literally got lost in Paris--the underground at closing, no cash--long story,  but happy ending.

For the stray dogs, I saw a fair amount of P4P girls, even before lunchtime in the nicer part of the cities somedays, lol.

But something different and fun for everyone, great people watching places-- time flows differently.

Heck yeah. Enjoy! Only about 10-14 years till I can retire. Lol

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:17:25 AM »
Heck yeah. Enjoy! Only about 10-14 years till I can retire. Lol

Last years flew by pretty fast. I was afraid I couldn't do/afford to retire, but I over did that mindset. As long as I have an emergency fund for when sh!t goes bad around house, other inevitable 'unexpected expenses' --I think I'm OK. Last kid finishing college soon makes it even better.

Everything's pretty much the same--what we eat, where we go--vacation-travel---well, we saved for that. I am just lazy as f__k a whole lot of the time, but very lucky to have a wife who's an 'enabler'--she worries I might be depressed and told me not to call work asking for occasional work.

No, not buying that hot as hell new mid engine Vette yet, but I might end up with one eventually.

Can't take it with you.......

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:17:25 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 01:31:52 PM »

The French are a new generation....the young ones all speak English and dont think Napolean won the war

The older ones..until they become sweet old ladies..ar a bit different

But like everywhere in Europe, they are all "Progressives"

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »

The French are a new generation....the young ones all speak English and dont think Napolean won the war

The older ones..until they become sweet old ladies..ar a bit different

But like everywhere in Europe, they are all "Progressives"

I politely asked in their languages "Do you speak English?" In 5 nations and the typical reply was like: "Why yes, of course"--WSJ- the journal, indicates American native English speakers don't have near the business employability appeal as before, as so many natives are now fluent.

Lot of Eastern Europeans working tourism jobs , inc a number of Slavic nations-- all spoke good English.

Lordy some of those tall, slim Eastern Euro chicks were hot as hell, (hungry 4 Hungarian ar ar)  but their blood and brains are Baltic cold.

People seemed pretty apathetic about politics--progressive to the left maybe---I didn't expound. Sorta sensed some discontent about all the refugees, but as long as the natives have plummeting birthrates, that's not going away.

But a lotta young, 'cool' people over there--didn't get close to the older aristocracy, but if u can afford a nice place in London, Rome, Nice or Paris, chances are you're going to be rubbing elbows with a different sort than me.

Still, it'd be mighty fine to be filthy rich in Paris.

Switzerland is a different world, still using Francs. Everything costs twice as much, but people earn twice as much. Military service is mandatory and they have the highest rate of (military issued) gun ownership, w full auto guns if u stay proficient.

Boat taxis on Lake Geneva, as well in and off shore Venice, took us to some amazing island gems---Murano, Burano etc--gotta break away to see 'hidden gems."

People love Tuscanny and Florence --was relaxing, but their lack of glitz that lends appeal to so many left us ho hum.

Hopefully Barcelona will have the city sophistication and even better beaches than the sweet French Riveria.

The cooler more experienced travelers were pretty unanimous in liking Barcelona.

Wild note was a futball riot in Geneva, of all places Hooligans worse than Liverpool's worst, met up for a beat down meet up, in a busy shopping part of town after dark. Eight or so vans, full of riot gear cops and others on motos, came out of no where and a couple of loud bangs and fireworks later, Swiss authority again prevailed. NOTHING was mentioned in media. My wife pulled me away from getting in the middle of that--spoil sport!!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »
Any of you guys been to Spain--Barcelona?

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
Any of you guys been to Spain--Barcelona?
Only Southern Spain- Almeria, malanga, salobrena, ronda...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
I was recently in Barcelona,Girona and area  the pyrenees and Asturias (Picos de Europa)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
I was recently in Barcelona,Girona and area  the pyrenees and Asturias (Picos de Europa)

How would you rate Barcelona or any of the other places in Spain?

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
How would you rate Barcelona or any of the other places in Spain?

Its a city. Havent been to many other big cities

I prefer the little villages in the mountains. Peaceful, quaint, beautiful scenery, historical medieval architucture, and less expensive

I spent q few days in this little pueblo for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IZc1BeBfk

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »

Its a city. Havent been to many other big cities

I prefer the little villages in the mountains. Peaceful, quaint, beautiful scenery, historical medieval architucture, and less expensive

I spent q few days in this little pueblo for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IZc1BeBfk

Sorta reminds me of this lovely tourist trap linked at bottom.  It had one hotel that the likes of Bill Gates and George Clooney supposedly like to visit and stores, each one more ridiculously priced than the next.

I don't think they even sold refrigerator magnets, so we were sh!t outtta luck!

The once busted and broken down to piles of stones places, was rebuilt, just like Disney world 'attractions' - ones that look 'old' but really aren't.

But then most of the grand old sections of the big cities--places like Paris, London and Rome, are required to keep the old building fronts 'just so', with the facade of 'the old days' but they're typically usually thoroughly modernized behind their ancient looking fronts.

I imagine a lot of what we saw as 'ancient buildings' was reconstructed from piles of rubble after WWII.

They're still trying to rebuild the Colosseum,  which once held 60,000 rabid fans, who all exited in only 10 minutes after the show.

Across the street,  the Circus Maximus, once held 150,000 thousand, from the poorest to the emperor, (free entry) for the chariot races.

There's no sports stadium on earth today with that capacity. Maybe NASCAR , Red Bull and Monster Beverage can take it over!

What's funny is if you go to mainland China, they do it the opposite way in their big cities. They have bright shiny modern style building fronts, but an old or even NO building is behind the facade. Just trying to impress,  lol, those tricky, cheap Chinese!!

https://youtu.be/K71LeQb5mEM

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »
No Torla De Ordessa is original and all the buildings date from.the Mediesval ages..of course restoration is necessary

And there are quite s few good restaurantes , hotels and pensiones

And reasonably priced

A little remote though..high in the Pyrenees

About as far from Disneyland as you can get

The castle is a real.original as well
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:13:14 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
No Torla De Ordessa is original and all the buildings date from.the Mediesval ages..of course restoration is necessary

And there are quite s few good restaurantes , hotels and pensiones

And reasonably priced

A little remote though..high in the Pyrenees

About as far from Disneyland as you can get

The castle is a real.original as well

Almost all the great ruins of the world have to a significant extent, been restored, even though often done only partially,  leaving us to falsely think 'So that's how it's been for hundreds/thousands of years now"

Guess the Parthenon in Greece is about as original and grand as any 'ruin' out there----but I saw the full sized replica in Nashville TN. Actually-Nashville's is 'as original'--fully restored, whereas the 'original as is' in Athens is partially restored and I don't even think they have the original "Athena" sculpture in Athens. Greece is somewhere on our list though---just heard too many stories on how nice the Greeks are also over there--like they are also in the USA actually.

I skipped Michelangelo's 17 ft tall 'David" in Florence--they have a full sized replica in St. Augustine we've seen--for free.

I guess if you want to see the best, most extensively complete collection of the world's great artifacts NO place beats London (their museums are FREE) for more stuff they conquered plundered stole and collected----but I think they even have Dante's Balls--whatever they are sitting in some dusty museum, I'd think the guy would want them himself!

The Italians moved a whole lotta Egyptian obelisks and other Egyptian stuff at great pain over many mountains, where it sits in Rome, the Vatican and other places today. Surprised the Egyptians have anything left--guess the falling apart pyramids were too big to steal and move!

I've been inside 5200 year old Newgrange in Ireland and that was pretty much completely reconstructed. I even stole a little white quartz wall stone, because I knew they were right behind me, keeping the place up!

If you look around, the oldest places on earth--inc buildings, are spread out pretty wide around the world. I think France does have the oldest recorded primitive cave paintings

Hell, my house--built in the late 1990s needs reconstruction/renovation in place$!

Even way out in the countryside, we went by 2500 year old Pre Roman (Etruscan) ruins--same things--fixed up a bit.

I went to a prime area of Michigan where a lot of auto executives live, I lived there as a kid--Bloomfield Hills, and just about all the lake front homes have been ripped down and bigger, grander ones built. Way of the world.

Fact is that in old Europe, they recycled building materials and as emperors,  rulers and powers came and went, as economies declined,  even most of the most magnificent ruins were ripped apart by conquering forces and/or by everyday people who used their blocks/materials for other completely different purposes. Once high end--used for scrap.

If I recall correctly, the flood prone  Circus Maximus--over 2000 years old, where 150,000+ people watched the chariot races--along with other entertainment--it's original track is like 6 meters underground, although you'd never know it. A lot of the cities sit upon layers of previous versions of them selves.

But the village you described sure sounds nice. Our tour of Western Europe was a blitzkrieg,  although we got a couple mega welcome power maps in, it again was 2000 miles over land buses, train, taxis and 5 to 7 miles stop and go on foot.

A peaceful place up and away in the mountains, that would've been great. Our next trip--actually after a quickie to Atlanta--will be lovely Sarasota, Florida for a RELAXING week around Xmas.  Often rated as having the number 1 beach in the USA, it's pretty, has a decent sized city for fun--but we'll stay out at Seista Key and veg out--maybe do some light recon about area as a new place to live--get away from my now grown kids. My youngest son graduates in December--has an interview with Google already--he'll be making more $$$ than I ever did--and as starting pay!

So it's looking like a good time to up and run.

But we wanted to see the greatest sites of Europe in weeks, not months and we did. We also saw enroute some 'off the beaten path' lesser known gems and had some great meals all over--as said, heavy on walking, short on sleep, but I still gained a pound a day. The breads, cheese and meats, the sauces--our bodies not used to 'all that.'

But a big purpose of the Euro trip was to scout out what suits us best. Probably Paris. Rest and relaxation was not a consideration, although we did squeeze in a couple quick naps. In fact we swore before leaving to 'rise to the occasion '  with no excuses physically and we did.

Even towards the end, acute bronchitis hitting us--- which we still have lingering effects, didn't,  hasn't slowed us down. 

Ya do what ya gotta do..

Paris, to us anyway, seemed laid back yet edgy in some ways (happening) and in most areas, sophisticated but also into basic "quality of life'--not rushing and busting your ass all the time. The police actually enforce laws against taking work home and generous vacation time is also mandatory.  Life in general there reflects this.

Be nice to get a better grip on Paris/France and to a lesser extent, Rome/Italy. London? Glad we did it--some cool stuff, but no hurry there to return soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:11:50 PM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats