It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Has any one used AirBNB in C/S America  (Read 6652 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Has any one used AirBNB in C/S America
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
They guy I rented an apartment from wants about 1 grand now for 1 month. I'm trying to find an alternate but it's proving to be difficult. i can just rent a hotel for 1 month for the price he's asking. I'm looking into AirBNB but I just don't think I'm going to get what I want out of it. I don't want just a room, I want to be able to come and go as I please and not have to worry about a roommate or making sure i'm in the house by a certain. but then again I also don't know enough about it to know if it really works that way

Has any out there tried it yet and what was it like

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Has any one used AirBNB in C/S America
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
We used it to rent a house on the beach in Uruguay for a week. Everything was fine except for the fact that the guy didn't take credit cards and we had to get a lot of cash out of a nearby ATM in a hurry. We really should have expected that he wouldn't be able to accept a credit card. OTOH it was a lot of cash to come up with on the spur of the moment.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
We used it to rent a house on the beach in Uruguay for a week. Everything was fine except for the fact that the guy didn't take credit cards and we had to get a lot of cash out of a nearby ATM in a hurry. We really should have expected that he wouldn't be able to accept a credit card. OTOH it was a lot of cash to come up with on the spur of the moment.

Lol, I know those feels. When I rented the apartment last time, for the last installement of what I owed him, I brought him a check. "He was like, wtf is this"
So there weren't like a lot of unexpected visits and what not? how did you handle laundry and I'm just assuming he left some cleaning supplies to tidy things up right?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
They guy I rented an apartment from wants about 1 grand now for 1 month. I'm trying to find an alternate but it's proving to be difficult. i can just rent a hotel for 1 month for the price he's asking. I'm looking into AirBNB but I just don't think I'm going to get what I want out of it. I don't want just a room, I want to be able to come and go as I please and not have to worry about a roommate or making sure i'm in the house by a certain. but then again I also don't know enough about it to know if it really works that way

I have used Airbnb many times with roommates and without.

I recommend roommates if they are like minded when is comes to women. I learned a lot about medellin when I first stared going there from guys that live there full time...no one ever bothered me about my coming and going at all hours.....but you'll want to have a conversation with the host about over night guests.

One guy set a limit of three different women in a week....that is I couldn't sleep with more than three different women in a weeks time which was fine with me. Others have no limit....while still others don't want any woman you don't know well at all in the apartment including women you meet online (Colombian Cupid, etc.).

Overall I have had very positive experiences with Airbnb.

If you tell me what city you plan on going to a could give you some recommendations.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:32 PM »

I have used Airbnb many times with roommates and without.

I recommend roommates if they are like minded when is comes to women. I learned a lot about medellin when I first stared going there from guys that live there full time...no one ever bothered me about my coming and going at all hours.....but you'll want to have a conversation with the host about over night guests.

One guy set a limit of three different women in a week....that is I couldn't sleep with more than three different women in a weeks time which was fine with me. Others have no limit....while still others don't want any woman you don't know well at all in the apartment including women you meet online (Colombian Cupid, etc.).

Overall I have had very positive experiences with Airbnb.

If you tell me what city you plan on going to a could give you some recommendations.

The same as it always in for my longer stays, Gye. I'm talking w/ a guy right now that stayed close to my last place in Urdessa. He want 850 for a month and honestly I don't think it's going to be any lower than that. I know there are apts for less but I simply don't have access to those from here. I'd have to know some one from there. My only real concern is being able to come and go as a I please.

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
My only advice is try a hostel at least for a few days.  I can't stress it enough hostels are a goldmine for meeting hot chicks who just want to party party party.  And you're almost guaranteed to meet someone who knows a good place you can rent short term.  Usually the people who run the hostel know everything there is to know about stuff like that.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
My only advice is try a hostel at least for a few days.  I can't stress it enough hostels are a goldmine for meeting hot chicks who just want to party party party.  And you're almost guaranteed to meet someone who knows a good place you can rent short term.  Usually the people who run the hostel know everything there is to know about stuff like that.

I'm going to just pass on hostels all together this time like I did last time. I simply don't need too. I actually met a few women just out and about and I really like coming and going as a please in my own building. Last time my neighbor lady brought me snacks and what not. Got to chill w/ a home girl of mine. I have 2 other femme friends I'll probably go visit in Portoviejo and if I don't get to stay w/ them i'll get a hostal, other wise, pass. I've set myself up pretty well I think

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »

I'm going to just pass on hostels all together this time like I did last time. I simply don't need too. I actually met a few women just out and about and I really like coming and going as a please in my own building. Last time my neighbor lady brought me snacks and what not. Got to chill w/ a home girl of mine. I have 2 other femme friends I'll probably go visit in Portoviejo and if I don't get to stay w/ them i'll get a hostal, other wise, pass. I've set myself up pretty well I think

Even if I'm/we're going somewhere for a few weeks, the suitcase doesn't get unpacked. Besides side trips, there's typically nicer places to stay for less $$$ in the neighborhood we land in initially but you don't find out about such places, their amenities etc., on-line. It's nicer to be 'on the fly'. I don't typically go on vacation to 'relax' in the classic sense.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline kai #2

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
Even if I'm/we're going somewhere for a few weeks, the suitcase doesn't get unpacked. Besides side trips, there's typically nicer places to stay for less $$$ in the neighborhood we land in initially but you don't find out about such places, their amenities etc., on-line. It's nicer to be 'on the fly'. I don't typically go on vacation to 'relax' in the classic sense.

You kind of lost me, what are suggesting? I don't know people that go somewhere and not have a something setup in order to find cheaper options in country once they get there. That just doesn't make any sense to me

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »

Lol, I know those feels. When I rented the apartment last time, for the last installement of what I owed him, I brought him a check. "He was like, wtf is this"
So there weren't like a lot of unexpected visits and what not? how did you handle laundry and I'm just assuming he left some cleaning supplies to tidy things up right?

No, the guy left us alone all week. The house had a washing machine and was equipped with everything you needed for cleaning and cooking etc.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »

You kind of lost me, what are suggesting? I don't know people that go somewhere and not have a something setup in order to find cheaper options in country once they get there. That just doesn't make any sense to me

Where we go, we typically know some sure bet places for the first night or so. If there is a huge festival, i.e. Super Bowl, World Cup, Carnival or it's someplace like Montreal in the summer time (same difference really--plus very few hotel rooms in general) would book ahead of time. But overall, we pretty much pack easy and travel quickly.

If I'm willing to drop some serious money on 4 or 5 star places that have all inclusive everything, and/or are near say the very best diving or night life (if we're up for that) we might stay several nights at one place, but that's rare. I've just found that especially in cities, once you're there a day or two, you inevitably find a nicer place at a better price.

Hotels don't like empty rooms and if you walk in looking good and talking right, they'd often rather reduce the typical rate significantly than let it go vacant. If it's a real nice place based on our experience and the rate's super good, we'll sometimes stay longer. When we got a room in early January at the Waldorf Towers in South Beach, overlooking the very best stretch of ocean beach in the hottest nightlife part of town on Ocean Drive just a spit away from the Versace Mansion for $50 a night, I booked a week. I think maybe an employee lost a job on that one....I basically remember Mango's Tropical Café, dance club from that week!

I just think there's a lot to said for 'winging it', just like usually it's best to rent rather than own and to date a number of great women until you meet one you just can't stand to lose. Like Elvis said: "Why buy a cow when you can get milk through the fence?"  I don't why on earth I got married around age 30--I had the best apartment on the water--in a perfectly restored 200+ y/o building, could walk to my work, to all the best places for bachelors, which usually let me in for free. I guess I thought 'To save myself from my crazy lifestyle' but I was just BSing myself.

In case you can't tell, I haven't planned a lot of things in my life, but have been fortunate. Sort of 'Forest Gumped' my way through a life that's had more moves, twists and turns than the Alps and The Andes put together, met some remarkable people and did things nobody would believe, if I cared to tell.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:38:53 PM by robert angel »

Offline Brainiac

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:56 PM »
We used AirBnB last year for an apartment in Lima, Peru. I'm sure you can find what you want, but be choosy. The place we ended up going with did not really meet my cleanliness standards. If the guy has been using AirBnB for a while, but has no reviews, that's a big clue that something is not right. Ask lots of questions and you'll get a feel for the management, too. One place we almost chose was run by a family of three sisters. They were extremely helpful and I'm sure would have been great hosts, but we went with an actual apt.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »

It's not that complicated guy.  For example in Medellin there are tons of apartments for rent to travelers.  You could go stay there in a hotel or hostel for a few days, contact a few renters, go see the places in person, and kind of shop around.  It's a way to probably get a better deal than if you reserve everything ahead of time.  Not only that, if you're there on the ground you can get recommendations from locals or other travelers.  I would imagine this is possible in Guayaquil.

That's basically what I always do.  I just stay in a hostel for a few days until I get tired of partying nonstop with foreigners, then I move on to something more private like my own hotel room or an apartment.

Once in Monterrey MX I stayed in a hostel for 2 weeks then I moved into an apartment with 2 college students where I stayed for 3 months.  I had an awesome time hanging out with a bunch of hot university chicks, foreign and Mexican.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »

It's not that complicated guy.  For example in Medellin there are tons of apartments for rent to travelers.  You could go stay there in a hotel or hostel for a few days, contact a few renters, go see the places in person, and kind of shop around.  It's a way to probably get a better deal than if you reserve everything ahead of time.  Not only that, if you're there on the ground you can get recommendations from locals or other travelers.

Bingo. Unless they're having the World Cup or their Grand Festival, etc--there will be options.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »

I guess I don't feel comfortable doing that if I'm staying long term. Finding a paper or whatever the case maybe and just trying to find something available
. That may bit much for me

Bingo. Unless they're having the World Cup or their Grand Festival, etc--there will be options.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

The same as it always in for my longer stays, Gye. I'm talking w/ a guy right now that stayed close to my last place in Urdessa. He want 850 for a month and honestly I don't think it's going to be any lower than that. I know there are apts for less but I simply don't have access to those from here. I'd have to know some one from there. My only real concern is being able to come and go as a I please.

In all my stays sharing an Airbnb apartment or house....I have never had a host try to dictate when I could come and go and I come and go at all hours....the subject just never came up as a concern....ever.....Drugs...women...noise....smoking and life style choices are all things that you should get squared away.....much nicer staying with like minded individuals anyway......but what time you can leave and enter the property....that's why they give you a key.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »

The places i was initially looking at were shared room and bath and that may have been why

In all my stays sharing an Airbnb apartment or house....I have never had a host try to dictate when I could come and go and I come and go at all hours....the subject just never came up as a concern....ever.....Drugs...women...noise....smoking and life style choices are all things that you should get squared away.....much nicer staying with like minded individuals anyway......but what time you can leave and enter the property....that's why they give you a key.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »
The places i was initially looking at were shared room and bath and that may have been why

Where were you looking? Couch surfing? jajaja

There are no shared rooms on Airbnb....don't know who would share a room with a stranger and pay for the pleasure. LOL!

Offline Awesome

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 01:29:16 AM »
Actually $850 a month isn't bad for a furnished apartment.  I assume it's in good condition, wifi, and in a safe neighborhood.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »

nah man, I don't couch surf. I thought about but it's not for me, The defualt serach is for shared room. Look for yourself. When I chaged it apartment,, thats when I got the results I wanted

[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Where were you looking? Couch surfing? jajajaThere are no shared rooms on Airbnb....don't know who would share a room with a stranger and pay for the pleasure. LOL!

Really its not terrible, I just know in my head if I had the right channels I can get it down to 450 or so

Actually $850 a month isn't bad for a furnished apartment.  I assume it's in good condition, wifi, and in a safe neighborhood.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »

No I haven't but you need to look at the feedback and see what their comments are.   

Offline kai #2

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »

I have been, I've been in touch with only 1 person so far. I still got some time left

No I haven't but you need to look at the feedback and see what their comments are.

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
We used it in BAQ and it was not a good experience. The place had bugs, knees hitting the wall when you were on the toilet, lock on the door did not work half the time, etc. Colombia has a pretty large population and their economy has been moving along quite well until recently, so I don't know why they don't have a better organized lodging system or some better mid priced hotels, with websites which allow online reservations. It is almost like they don't want to make business.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »

Offline Ray

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
...knees hitting the wall when you were on the toilet...

Wow!

Maybe you're supposed to stand up on the toilet, like in some Asian countries?   ;D

Just curious... how is the wife getting along with your ex-wife?

Ray

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
Ray, no..it was just the Colombian way of doing things....try to make it all look good, which it did, until you sat down. They don't sweat the details in BAQ, like actually measuring things. Just like with things like putting new doors on the unit, but kind of forgot to put functioning locks. Or they have an electronic safe, but nobody knows how to open it or use it.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 616