It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: What can I expect out of Mexico City  (Read 12458 times)

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: What can I expect out of Mexico City
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »

I hope you;re not saying that green in invalid there because I'm black hahhaha

I'll leave this to black men that have traveled there, but I suspect most will give negative reviews of Mexico.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 06:12:59 AM »

That's sad to hear, but i guess I'll have to come to my own conclusion. I don't think it'll be no worst off than anywhere else I've ever been

I'll leave this to black men that have traveled there, but I suspect most will give negative reviews of Mexico.

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 11:08:28 PM »
I've never heard of Mexicanas specifically having a thing for black guys, but I haven't heard anything specifically negative in that regard either.

Random story.  While I was staying at the hostel in Cali Colombia there was this attractive 19 year old blonde German girl who I got to know pretty well.  One night we were all dancing salsa out on the patio of the hostel and she was giving alot of attention to this black British guy.  She kept going out of her way to dance with him and I was getting the impression that she liked him.  I'm not sure why the guy didn't try to make a move on her.  I guess he was just a nice respectful guy or maybe she wasn't his type.  Who knows?  Then the next night me and her kind of took the lead in organizing everybody to go out to this really cool salsa club and I got the vibe that she was liking me alot but I somehow started liking her in kind of a little sister type of way, so I never tried to make a move on her eventhough I think I could have, go figure.  She was so cute and nice.  Anyway just a random story.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 11:08:28 PM »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »
I've never heard of Mexicanas specifically having a thing for black guys, but I haven't heard anything specifically negative in that regard either.

Random story.  While I was staying at the hostel in Cali Colombia there was this attractive 19 year old blonde German girl who I got to know pretty well.  One night we were all dancing salsa out on the patio of the hostel and she was giving alot of attention to this black British guy.  She kept going out of her way to dance with him and I was getting the impression that she liked him.  I'm not sure why the guy didn't try to make a move on her.  I guess he was just a nice respectful guy or maybe she wasn't his type.  Who knows?  Then the next night me and her kind of took the lead in organizing everybody to go out to this really cool salsa club and I got the vibe that she was liking me alot but I somehow started liking her in kind of a little sister type of way, so I never tried to make a move on her eventhough I think I could have, go figure.  She was so cute and nice.  Anyway just a random story.

Random and off-topic. The story didn't even take place in Mexico haha

Offline Awesome

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »

Random and off-topic. The story didn't even take place in Mexico haha

Yea pretty much lol.  I was just reminded of that because I was somewhat surprised at how that German girl was flirting so much with that black guy.

Anyway I don't think any Mexican women will like you or dislike you because you're black.

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »

There dad's aren't a fan. Mexico City is actually very segregated by color/shade as we drift back on topic.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »

There dad's aren't a fan. Mexico City is actually very segregated by color/shade as we drift back on topic.

That is true everywhere in Latin America, not just Mexico. I think it is usually the upper class, pure white people who are the most racist though. At least they have that reputation. It probably depends a lot on what kind of people you hang out with.

There are black people in Mexico too btw:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Mexican

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »

That is true everywhere in Latin America, not just Mexico. I think it is usually the upper class, pure white people who are the most racist though. At least they have that reputation. It probably depends a lot on what kind of people you hang out with.

Seems that pretty much everywhere in the world, the darker your skin, the more negativity you have to deal with. Now it seems that regardless of skin color and even within people of similar color, the separation of the rich and the poor and the marginalizing of the middle class is increasing. Mankind is one nasty bunch of animals.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/10/369645207/pelo-malo-is-a-rare-look-into-latin-american-race-relations

>>""Pelo Malo" means "bad hair" in Spanish. It's a term that is commonly used in Latin America, and it's also the title of a new Venezuelan film that tackles racism and homophobia. homophobia.

Junior is a 9-year-old living in a poor neighborhood in Caracas. School is about to start, and he has to have his picture taken. Junior, like many Venezuelans, has European, indigenous and African ancestry, which gives him thick, tightly curled hair. He becomes obsessed with straightening it, trying everything from blow-drying to applying gobs of mayonnaise. That last attempt drives his mother, a struggling widow, insane; she threatens to "cortarle el pelo," just cut all his hair off.

Pelo Malo is a rare look into identity politics among Latin Americans, where racism is often a taboo topic. Despite the taboo, director Mariana Rondon says, the term "pelo malo" is common currency. "The origin of the term is very offensive. It's very racist. But it's also true that in Venezuela, we are so mixed, that in every single family there is someone with ... 'bad hair.' We joke that the second most profitable industry, after oil, is hair straightening. Because everyone here wants to have straight hair."

In Venezuela, hair relaxing is mostly a woman's obsession, and that's where Junior's relationship with his mom takes a darker turn: She becomes haunted by the idea that Junior's quest for straight hair means he's gay. She even goes to his pediatrician. "He sings, he brushes his hair all day," she tells the doctor. "I want to know if he's ... gay."

Rondon says the initial goal of the movie was to talk about identity. "Who we are, how we see ourselves. I felt like at the time Venezuela was in this moment in which it was essential that we start respecting each other's differences"<<
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Gavan

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »

>>""Pelo Malo" means "bad hair" in Spanish. It's a term that is commonly used in Latin America

Actually I just saw a profile of a mulata Dominican girl on LACupid last night who said she was looking for "Un hombre alto, con ojos lindos, blanco, con pelo bueno y con dinero".  :o I had never heard that term "pelo bueno" before so I had to look up what she meant. Seems the Dominicans are pretty self-hating (most of them have a lot of African blood).

http://www.eltiempo.com/archivo/documento/CMS-4169169
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:32:10 PM by Gavan »

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »

:o I had never heard that term "pelo bueno" 

I guess 'sin pelo' could qualify as good then.

Fathertime!   
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »

I'm aware. DF is particularly extreme. You watch the darker skinned folks travel west (and also in other directions from poorer suburbs) in the morning and then head east (back home) in the evening. From Neza to clean apartments in Condesa... and then back (one example).

Offline Awesome

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:53 AM »
Yea but K2's not a dark skinned indio from the mountain villages, he's an African American gringo.  That's a big difference.

From my experience in Mexico most of the black people I've come across have been Cuban.  There are alot of Cubans in Monterrey and some of them are very respected professionals.  I dated a girl who danced in a traveling ballet team/company and the head choreagrapher was a black Cuban guy.  This guy was treated almost like a celebrity in the trendy circles, and I never heard anyone make any negative comments about his race or appearance or anything like that.

Another time in Monterrey I hung out with a professional basketball player who happened to be a big tall black guy originally from Dallas.  He was staying at the same hostel where I stayed.  He was in town talking to two or three of the local pro teams in the city.  I took him with me to some of my friends' houses and people would stop and look at him because they never seen a black guy in their life, much less a guy who was 6'10.  He explained to me how the business of sports agents works.  He was in the process of firing his agent because he basically left my friend abandoned to do his own tryout scheduling and contract negotiations with the teams in Mexico.  (this guy didn't speak spanish)  Most people don't know but Mexico has a pro basketball league that pays decent wages to players who didn't make it in the NBA or euro leagues.  A halfway decent college player can go down there, play pro ball, and earn living wages or even alot more.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:53 AM »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
From my experience in Mexico most of the black people I've come across have been Cuban.  There are alot of Cubans in Monterrey and some of them are very respected professionals.  I dated a girl who danced in a traveling ballet team/company and the head choreagrapher was a black Cuban guy.  This guy was treated almost like a celebrity in the trendy circles, and I never heard anyone make any negative comments about his race or appearance or anything like that.

This mulato Cuban-Mexican guy is pretty famous in Latin America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9blTW6Om7c

I remember seeing some black/mulato people when I went to Acapulco, but they do seem to be very rare in most of Mexico. It isprobably a bit like Peru, where there are black people but they are a tiny minority and you have to go to certain specific areas to see them. Ecuador has a much larger black population.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:54:57 AM by Gavan »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »

This mulato Cuban-Mexican guy is pretty famous in Latin America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9blTW6Om7c

I remember seeing some black/mulato people when I went to Acapulco, but they do seem to be very rare in most of Mexico. It isprobably a bit like Peru, where there are black people but they are a tiny minority and you have to go to certain specific areas to see them. Ecuador has a much larger black population.

I saw 2 black people the entire time in Peru minus the prepagos from DR and Cuba. Kind of what Awe said, since I'm not some Mtn Negro from the region I think i'll be ok. I really don't like to play the I'm from America card but some cases in C / S America I think you have to to distinguish yourself just a bit.

Its kind of funny though, when I first went down south I was treated ok but as soon as a I started spending money i got treated pretty well at bars and clubs that I frequented. The girls were neither here nor there and mostly seemed indifferent about it. Some liked black guy, some didn't care either way and some didn't. but I did notice I had far better success with he girls that had some black in them. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same in D.F as well I hope

Offline Gavan

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 07:26:25 AM »

I saw 2 black people the entire time in Peru minus the prepagos from DR and Cuba.

I didn't see many myself when I lived there either. Black people are rare in Peru outside of places like Chincha and other small towns.The El Callao area in Lima is also supposed to have quite a few black people. The Afro-Peruvians did have a big influence on the music and culture there though.

Offline gyounger

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »
Speaking of hair, my wife calls curly kinky hair "zambo" or "poco zambito"

I remember first going thru Chincha and seeing a wall mural of a black guy with a 'fro next to a barber shop.
I was curious after not seeing any blacks in Lima.
That's when my wife told me that Chincha was a predominately
 black town.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
I remember first going thru Chincha and seeing a wall mural of a black guy with a 'fro next to a barber shop.
I was curious after not seeing any blacks in Lima.
That's when my wife told me that Chincha was a predominately
 black town.

Yeah Chincha is known for being a black town or at least a town with a large black population. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgah34cPa2I

There are some other "black" towns in the north as well. I have heard that ZaƱa, near Chiclayo also has a lot of African blood.

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
Yea but K2's not a dark skinned indio from the mountain villages, he's an African American gringo.  That's a big difference.

Another time in Monterrey I hung out with a professional basketball player who happened to be a big tall black guy originally from Dallas.  He was staying at the same hostel where I stayed.  He was in town talking to two or three of the local pro teams in the city.  I took him with me to some of my friends' houses and people would stop and look at him because they never seen a black guy in their life, much less a guy who was 6'10.  He explained to me how the business of sports agents works.  He was in the process of firing his agent because he basically left my friend abandoned to do his own tryout scheduling and contract negotiations with the teams in Mexico.  (this guy didn't speak spanish)  Most people don't know but Mexico has a pro basketball league that pays decent wages to players who didn't make it in the NBA or euro leagues.  A halfway decent college player can go down there, play pro ball, and earn living wages or even alot more.

I'd say his agent fired him. A few teams in the LNBP pay okay, but if he's down there trying out (most real workouts are in San Diego and Laredo) he's just hunting for a 3500 or 4500 a month job to stay in sport.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »

I saw 2 black people the entire time in Peru minus the prepagos from DR and Cuba. Kind of what Awe said, since I'm not some Mtn Negro from the region I think i'll be ok. I really don't like to play the I'm from America card but some cases in C / S America I think you have to to distinguish yourself just a bit.

Its kind of funny though, when I first went down south I was treated ok but as soon as a I started spending money i got treated pretty well at bars and clubs that I frequented. The girls were neither here nor there and mostly seemed indifferent about it. Some liked black guy, some didn't care either way and some didn't. but I did notice I had far better success with he girls that had some black in them. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same in D.F as well I hope

It's amazing how the words 'mountain negro' get around. While it's hard to pin down who the original people--the first' indigenous people' of the Philippines are, a lot would bet on the poor folks up on some of the most remote mountains, called "Negritos". Not sure how or when they got there, but they sure do look more African than they do Asian or Spanish.  Unlike the very fair skinned Spanish, who remained in the Philippines and who even today are some of the wealthiest and most popular celebrities there, the Negritos got the shortest end of the stick by far.

https://www.google.com/search?q=philippines+negritos&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=la-eVaevB4G8sAW9tL3YBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1344&bih=716

But for a while, they really got around--living as far away as Taiwan at one time. Today, they are made up of  several ethnic groups who inhabit isolated parts of Southeast Asia. Their current populations include Andamanese peoples of the Andaman Islands, Semang peoples of Malaysia, the Mani of Thailand, and the Aeta, Agta, Ati, and 30 other peoples of the Philippines.

The Andaman Islands, about 850 miles from India, and even though legally part of India, require their own, nearly impossible to get passport/stamp, and are nearly impossible to visit w/o incredible restrictions--no contact with people, no pictures, areas you can't visit, etc. Some have broken India's laws, so you can see pictures and videos on-line.

The missing Air Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 attracted a lot of unwanted attention, because it's said a jet was capable of landing there. The Indian govt. feels they have immense military importance and treat the area and people similarly to the nearby Sentinese people, who are so isolated, they are said not to be able to create fire, even today--they're still hunter--gatherers. Guess they like their food raw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andamanese_people

Even more so than the Andamanese and Sentinelese pygmy Negritos, the pygmy Negritos of the Philippines, have pretty much been totally screwed over, if not completely wiped out by people who came after them. In the Philippines, once or twice a year, the govt. makes a big deal of sending folks up the mountains to bring them into town, where they give them little gifts and make a media story about the 'charitable good deeds' done for these disenfranchised people. I've seen a few of them and they don't seem too happy, basically being put on parade for a few trinkets.

The first times I saw these people, it really blew me away, especially knowing that even if you are a dark complexion USA black guy in decent clothes, in most parts of the Philippines, you'd have all kinds of new friends, telling you which NBA star you look like, which movie star (They were telling KFC that he looked like Denzel Washington) so on and so forth. Black guys who are obviously tourists from the many other nations are also treated quite well in the Philippines. That said, a little prejudice against female family members marrying black guys remains in some circles, but I know some black guys who have the time of their lives over there--loving every minute..

It's a weird world all right and although it seems to be getting smaller, some unknowns definitely remain.

What's with those huge boulders in the pre-Columbian era  Americas, as far north as Mexico that are carved into heads that look distinctly African? Anyone figured that one out yet? http://www.ipoaa.com/africans_in_americas.htm  I don't make this stuff up, I swear.....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Hey guys, sorry that the above post was REALLY 'off topic'--or 'veering off thread' ( I know we almost never do that--NOT)  but hey, a couple guys here were talking about 'mountain negroes' and having been around them, I just HAD to chime in, LOL ;D

Offline kai #2

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 07:30:05 AM »
Hey guys, sorry that the above post was REALLY 'off topic'--or 'veering off thread' ( I know we almost never do that--NOT)  but hey, a couple guys here were talking about 'mountain negroes' and having been around them, I just HAD to chime in, LOL ;D

I'm putting you and Awe in timeout :D

i'm still pretty stoked about going. a few of my mexican friends tell me that Mex City isn't that dangerous and that its mostly the border-towns you really have to worry about. I don't really consider myself a target in that region anyways....Also, Do you think it'll be hard to find anything w/ turkey in it or should give up now?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »

I'm putting you and Awe in timeout :D

i'm still pretty stoked about going. a few of my mexican friends tell me that Mex City isn't that dangerous and that its mostly the border-towns you really have to worry about. I don't really consider myself a target in that region anyways....Also, Do you think it'll be hard to find anything w/ turkey in it or should give up now?

You don't seem like the type to just 'give up.' I'd imagine you've got the right 'stuffing', so stay on point and keep gunning for the 'birds'!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
You don't seem like the type to just 'give up.' I'd imagine you've got the right 'stuffing', so stay on point and keep gunning for the 'birds'!

I just don't think Turkey makes it past south of the border

Offline Gavan

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »

I just don't think Turkey makes it past south of the border

Actually Mexico is one of the places where the turkey comes from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_(bird)

I think turkeys are called "guajolotes" in Mexico ("pavos" in other countries).

Mexican recepy with turkey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8Lnh22qDo

;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:37:42 AM by Gavan »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0