It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: What can I expect out of Mexico City  (Read 12463 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
What can I expect out of Mexico City
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »
As the headline states, what can I expect out of Mexico City. I'm going for Thanksgiving, a short trip. I don't plan on doing too much but I'd still like to enjoy myself east some good food, party and met a few Mexicanas along the way

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: What can I expect out of Mexico City
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
We spent a day in Mexico City and at the end of it we all wished we could have spent more time there. There is a subway stop at the airport and you can ride for 25 cents. It's a great way to see the city since a lot of the subway cars run above ground.

I'm a huge Club America fan so we went to the Estadio Azteca which is quite impressive - one of the largest stadiums in the world and the site of two World Cups which have included the Game of the Century between Italy and Germany in 1970 and the Goal of the Century by Maradona in 1986.

After that we took the subway up to downtown where we went to Plaza Garibaldi where they have many mariachi bands (my wife loves mariachi). After that we walked over to the Casa de los Azulejos and ate lunch - it's an amazing centuries old building tiled in Puebla tile. Nearby is the Iglesia de San Francisco which dates to 1710 which we also spent some time in. We then walked to Constitution Plaza known as the Zocalo which is one of the largest public squares in the world. They were having a fashion show in the square.

Afterwards we got back on the subway to go back to the airport and there was a group of guys playing Mana songs on the subway car. Damn, they were good and we were very sorry to have to get off the train.
[/color][/size]

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
I know most of the guys here might not have it high on their priority list, but I hear Mexico City has some great museums. I'm a history buff and I'd like to see how 'fair and square' the museums there are about ancient history, at least what the Spaniards didn't obliterate.

Incoming cultures, including right here in the USA, have a way of trying to erase the old history or otherwise rewrite it to fit  'their' version. There's obviously some great art, new and old, as well as archeological sites in Mexico. I'm sure the music is much more varied than I realize--from ancient to classical, symphony, jazz, rock etc.

Besides museums, I'd like to take some time to examine and compare health care in general there, as well as their medicines and treatments offered for specific health problems that aren't available in the USA.

I'm not talking 'quack doctors' or just  people getting better off of strictly non FDA but real Rx drugs not sold here, or from placebo 'drugs' from their 'faith' in believing they'd work. (although a positive attitude really does help anywhere)

I know some very intelligent, economically well off people, who've had some serious health issues, including cancer and other diseases/ailments that basically got a whole lot better, if not out right cured, by going to Mexico for treatment.

At least along most of the US Eastern Seaboard coast, we get a pretty narrow media diet about what's really going on in the 'real' Mexico.

I'm afraid most Gringos are more familiar with Salma Hayek, Antonio Banderas and think that they, along with Benicio del Toro--(who's actually Puerto Rican)  are the most recognized Mexican names to most of us.

Funny thing is these same people might be driving a Cadillac, Chevy, Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler or a whole host of Japanese and European car brands, all built in Mexico and not even know it. And running on oil from Mexico (OK--I wasn't THAT surprised to hear the Ford Fiesta's built there.  ::))
Partial list -> http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/which-cars-are-made-in-mexico.html

Besides the above, when you're used to living in a town or smaller city like we are, visiting a huge city like Mexico City , which has a culture different than what we're used to, along with the metropolitan 'buzz' of activity you get when millions of people converge, makes it fun. (for a while) Last summer we really enjoyed Toronto, but the main streets are so narrow and the sky scrapers so tall, after a while it felt almost claustrophobic--more so than NYC, so I wonder how the main metro areas in Mexico City would compare?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:38:50 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »
From what I hear DF has tons of culture, history, nightlife, and all sorts of things to do and experience.  The women from what I've heard tend to think highly of themselves, but not necessarily in a bad or stuck up way.  Mexico City sounds like an excellent choice for a trip and I'll be eager to read your trip report.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »

ConfigurationType = 'Cancel'
We spent a day in Mexico City and at the end of it we all wished we could have spent more time there. There is a subway stop at the airport and you can ride for 25 cents. It's a great way to see the city since a lot of the subway cars run above ground.

I'm a huge Club America fan so we went to the Estadio Azteca which is quite impressive - one of the largest stadiums in the world and the site of two World Cups which have included the Game of the Century between Italy and Germany in 1970 and the Goal of the Century by Maradona in 1986.

After that we took the subway up to downtown where we went to Plaza Garibaldi where they have many mariachi bands (my wife loves mariachi). After that we walked over to the Casa de los Azulejos and ate lunch - it's an amazing centuries old building tiled in Puebla tile. Nearby is the Iglesia de San Francisco which dates to 1710 which we also spent some time in. We then walked to Constitution Plaza known as the Zocalo which is one of the largest public squares in the world. They were having a fashion show in the square.

Afterwards we got back on the subway to go back to the airport and there was a group of guys playing Mana songs on the subway car. Damn, they were good and we were very sorry to have to get off the train.

Thanks for the Idea. I'm pretty about going actually. I found RT tickets for 348. I have a Mexican friend who gave me a little bit of a low down. I'd like to go visit Estudio Azteca. I'm a little concerned about saftey as its a new destination but I'm sure I'll be fine. Id like to check out a charro though. I heard the women are pretty friendly, I've always been a wishful thinker though

From what I hear DF has tons of culture, history, nightlife, and all sorts of things to do and experience.  The women from what I've heard tend to think highly of themselves, but not necessarily in a bad or stuck up way.  Mexico City sounds like an excellent choice for a trip and I'll be eager to read your trip report.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun AWE. btw, IU'm going back to Ecu for 1 solid month this time around
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:09:40 PM by kai #2 »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 03:16:23 PM »
I had heard all sorts of stories about how dangerous Mexico City was especially the subway but everything was great. The people were friendly and cool and helpful even in the middle of rush hour giving us directions. It's a huge place with a lot of energy - every one of us loved it.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
Look forward to your trip report. I've been to Mexico multiple times but never to the D.F. Definitely need to go there one of these days.

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:37 PM »
Expect it to be BIG

I have so many regrets of the times I've been there, all of them have been short trips and I never get even close to do stuff I want, the distances can seem even bigger with traffic, wrong turn and you have two hours delay! so make sure you set your priorities and work your plans from there.

Since you mention you want to party I have no suggestions for you, I would assume this means to stay away from touristy places.

I will mention this though, all the times I've been there I have been weary and extra careful but the last time I was there alone I got lost and everyone was very kind and helpful (I am a mexicana though).

The  very last time I was there was with W and we walked downtown in the middle of the night without anything remotely scary happening, not even one of those "Am I being paranoid?" kind of moments.

So just don't get completely drunk and go in search of drugs and hookers like all the guys that end up being "assassinated by the cartel" when what really happened is that they were doing risky stuff and some bad people saw their chance.

If you have questions about how to deal with the snobby mexicanas I am your girl.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 05:37:18 AM »
Expect it to be BIG

I have so many regrets of the times I've been there, all of them have been short trips and I never get even close to do stuff I want, the distances can seem even bigger with traffic, wrong turn and you have two hours delay! so make sure you set your priorities and work your plans from there.

Since you mention you want to party I have no suggestions for you, I would assume this means to stay away from touristy places.

I will mention this though, all the times I've been there I have been weary and extra careful but the last time I was there alone I got lost and everyone was very kind and helpful (I am a mexicana though).

The  very last time I was there was with W and we walked downtown in the middle of the night without anything remotely scary happening, not even one of those "Am I being paranoid?" kind of moments.

So just don't get completely drunk and go in search of drugs and hookers like all the guys that end up being "assassinated by the cartel" when what really happened is that they were doing risky stuff and some bad people saw their chance.

If you have questions about how to deal with the snobby mexicanas I am your girl.

I don't' expect much problems. I'm' not a show off or anything like that. I'll probably do some regular touristy stuff. I heard Mex City has great museums and things like that. I'm not going super long either, just 5 days. I hope I can meet a few sexy Mexicanas when i get there. I heard they like black guys :D

Offline Gavan

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:44:43 AM »
I went to "el D.F." back in 2003 and I have friends who live there. It was my first trip to Latin America actually. It is fun and interesting city with lots of things to see and do: the Zócalo, Xochimilco, Chapultepec Park, the Teotihuacan pyramids (not in the city itself but nearby), etc.

Offline michaelb

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
I haven't been there in almost 40 years. Aztec Stadium is very near  the UNAM campus (actually on campus, I think). I attended there for one semester and you need to see the neat architecture. Try to catch the Ballet Folclorico, in the Palace of Fine Arts, at the end of Almeda Park (has its own subway station). Chapultpec Park has several attractions, devote at least a full day, two of you  can.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
I haven't been there in almost 40 years. Aztec Stadium is very near  the UNAM campus (actually on campus, I think). I attended there for one semester and you need to see the neat architecture. Try to catch the Ballet Folclorico, in the Palace of Fine Arts, at the end of Almeda Park (has its own subway station). Chapultpec Park has several attractions, devote at least a full day, two of you  can.

UNAM Pumas play at Estadio Olimpico which is on the UNAM campus. The Azteca is a mile or two to the east not too far away from the campus.

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
I don't' expect much problems. I'm' not a show off or anything like that. I'll probably do some regular touristy stuff. I heard Mex City has great museums and things like that. I'm not going super long either, just 5 days. I hope I can meet a few sexy Mexicanas when i get there. I heard they like black guys :D

Don't be too modest either if you want to meet women, stay fashionable. Mexicanas don't have much opportunity to talk to black guys so you will most likely get some curious glances, might as well take the chance to be friendly and don't take it to heart if some are not that thrilled of the unknown, others will be :)

Touristy stuff is actually a pretty good date, it's just not the place to actually meet a girl (well a Mexicana in Mexico at least) Good luck and have fun!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »
Mexico City. What to expect? Expect the unexpected. It's clearly one of the best cities to meet women and have a good time in the world. Take a look at the Hotel Roosevelt in Hipodromo Condesa if you need a good place to stay for 50 bucks a night. That's where it's at. La Condesa, Roma, Santa Fe, and Polanco. It's that simple. The filet tacos are a home run.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline kai #2

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 06:32:23 AM »
Mexico City. What to expect? Expect the unexpected. It's clearly one of the best cities to meet women and have a good time in the world. Take a look at the Hotel Roosevelt in Hipodromo Condesa if you need a good place to stay for 50 bucks a night. That's where it's at. La Condesa, Roma, Santa Fe, and Polanco. It's that simple. The filet tacos are a home run.

That sounds like a plan. I haven't made hotel plans or anything like that yet. Ihope to get that out of the way pretty soon though

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:15 PM »

That sounds like a plan. I haven't made hotel plans or anything like that yet. Ihope to get that out of the way pretty soon though

stay on the quiet side of the hotel unless you are going out drinking every night and you don't care. The quiet side is calle popcatepetl I believe.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
Bring an Oxygen mask..

Offline kai #2

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 08:52:26 AM »

stay on the quiet side of the hotel unless you are going out drinking every night and you don't care. The quiet side is calle popcatepetl I believe.

Nope, I want to be in the thick of it. I plan on drinking and partying every night lol. i also want to try eatign the worm you can find in tequilas

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »
Bring an Oxygen mask..

Guadalajara was worse actually, I was very surprised.

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »

Nope, I want to be in the thick of it. I plan on drinking and partying every night lol. i also want to try eatign the worm you can find in tequilas

still when you are trying to sleep during the day...

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »

UNAM Pumas play at Estadio Olimpico which is on the UNAM campus. The Azteca is a mile or two to the east not too far away from the campus.

Vamos Cruz Azul, it's just south of Roosevelt on Av Insurgentes.

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
Bring an Oxygen mask..

This aint 1985 pops. But seriously I remember in school they still taught the pollution was bad, they've improved it a lot.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »

This aint 1985 pops. But seriously I remember in school they still taught the pollution was bad, they've improved it a lot.

The day we were there it was a beautiful day, full of blue sky and sunshine. Along with the crime I guess the pollution took a day off.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »

The day we were there it was a beautiful day, full of blue sky and sunshine. Along with the crime I guess the pollution took a day off.

Were you in Neza or La Condesa? That's the difference. DF can be a playground or hell. It's whatever you want it to be (assuming you are white and have $$)

Offline kai #2

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 06:54:18 AM »

Were you in Neza or La Condesa? That's the difference. DF can be a playground or hell. It's whatever you want it to be (assuming you are white and have $$)

I hope you;re not saying that green in invalid there because I'm black hahhaha

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864