It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Canadian Passport  (Read 4567 times)

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Canadian Passport
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:47:27 PM »
When I was visiting Montreal a couple of weeks ago, I got my passport photos and applied for a Canadian passport. I am a Canadian citizen although I have not lived in Canada since 1976. It just arrived FedEx today and I don't know why - it just made me so happy to have it in my hands. Hurrah for me!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Canadian Passport
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »
When I was visiting Montreal a couple of weeks ago, I got my passport photos and applied for a Canadian passport. I am a Canadian citizen although I have not lived in Canada since 1976. It just arrived FedEx today and I don't know why - it just made me so happy to have it in my hands. Hurrah for me!

That's cool---congratulations. While you might not be planning to work there, Canada has slightly more land area than the USA, but more natural resources in a greater variety, yet only has about 35 million people. The winters can be awful and the taxes high, but we love going there--lots of room, beautiful nature all around, happening cities in places--a great vacation. There's such a variety of people from everywhere there and most of them get along quite well.

Once they get a real grip on bringing in immigrants---and they bring in a lot, and if they don't have them already, give them the right support to develop skills to help grow the economy, it has the potential to really prosper. From Vancouver to Banff, onto Toronto, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and north, it's like a sleeping bear ready to wake up and roar.

We're in no hurry to give up our USA citizenships, my wife has dual citizenship, but I can't help but remember that having Grandparents born in Ireland, I qualify for Irish citizenship.

Depending on your family bloodlines, you might be suprised how easy it is to pick up a second, even third citizenship and passport. Same in some other European countries

""""Citizenship through descent from Irish grandparents''''''

'''''If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, but none of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register"""

In other parts of the world, some Asian nations, as well as S. America's Paraguay and Uruguay, don't even require you have any descendants from there to get citizenship.

Personally, complain we may, but I think that overall, we have it pretty good in the USA, but that's not to say that we don't have options!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline AndyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »
congratulations Utopia.....and you too, Robert, if I were you I´d jump on that Irish thingy, wow, that would be cool to get a citizenship handed to you because of past generations.
Its a different feeling, powerful even, to have two citizenships. I just got mine here and now I´m ready to go for the third...this time in Ecuador.
I just popped back on P-L too see if inter-personal communications conditions have improved....and I see they absolutely haven´t.
When I left you guys were fighting only Awesome The Idiot.....aka Ray Jr, now I see you´re entangled with the idiot Ray and his alter-ego Fuzzyone. Two of the finest idiots to ever grace the pages of P-L. .
After glancing over a few threads I see there is absolutely nothing new on that front, they are still holding forth as if they actually had a clue what they are talking about.
What really surprises me is why Fathertime hasn´t taken it upon himself to rip this Ray Jr. guy a new ass*hole yet. Guess the old FT has lost his touch, totally unlike the persona of the guy that used to be the Sheriff of Planet-Love.
On a more enjoyable topic, I´m finally making an honest woman out of my girlfriend. We´re getting married here in Colombian today in a civil ceremony like with the Justice of the Peace. Later we´ll be going for the K-3 spousal visa in the US, but actually we plan to live in Ecuador for a few years first.

That´s actually why I popped back on here for a few minutes. I´d like to hear from other gringos who have gone through the K-3 process. Is it better or faster or easier or less expensive than the K-1? What do you think of it?
Take care y´all, and don´t let the bestards get the best of yee!
If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:14:59 PM »
congratulations Utopia.....and you too, Robert, if I were you I´d jump on that Irish thingy, wow, that would be cool to get a citizenship handed to you because of past generations.
Its a different feeling, powerful even, to have two citizenships. I just got mine here and now I´m ready to go for the third...this time in Ecuador.
I just popped back on P-L too see if inter-personal communications conditions have improved....and I see they absolutely haven´t.
When I left you guys were fighting only Awesome The Idiot.....aka Ray Jr, now I see you´re entangled with the idiot Ray and his alter-ego Fuzzyone. Two of the finest idiots to ever grace the pages of P-L. .
After glancing over a few threads I see there is absolutely nothing new on that front, they are still holding forth as if they actually had a clue what they are talking about.
What really surprises me is why Fathertime hasn´t taken it upon himself to rip this Ray Jr. guy a new ass*hole yet. Guess the old FT has lost his touch, totally unlike the persona of the guy that used to be the Sheriff of Planet-Love.
On a more enjoyable topic, I´m finally making an honest woman out of my girlfriend. We´re getting married here in Colombian today in a civil ceremony like with the Justice of the Peace. Later we´ll be going for the K-3 spousal visa in the US, but actually we plan to live in Ecuador for a few years first.

That´s actually why I popped back on here for a few minutes. I´d like to hear from other gringos who have gone through the K-3 process. Is it better or faster or easier or less expensive than the K-1? What do you think of it?

Wow Andy, congratulations!! I'm kind of suprised! It's been a while, but last time I heard, the time difference between a K1 and K3, if you're looking to bring her to the USA for whatever reason, was about the same. For more current info, for 'particulars', I'd have a look around Visajourney.com.

I don't check my Yahoo email often enough, but we ought to stay in touch more there and this as good a reason to as any to do so. Salute!!!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »

Has this anything to do with the US federal electión and its potencial outcome?

Offline Ray

TROLL ALERT!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 01:18:27 AM »

Just stopped in for some childish name-calling again?

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:41 AM »

I was always a Canadian citizen even after I became a US citizen. It just never hurts to have proof. My sister told me the same thing - now I was Trump proof. I said that I am sure the Germans and many people living in Germany were complacent in 1930.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »

I was always a Canadian citizen even after I became a US citizen. It just never hurts to have proof. My sister told me the same thing - now I was Trump proof. I said that I am sure the Germans and many people living in Germany were complacent in 1930.

In some areas, certain passports go over better than in other places. I don't think most knowledgeable people would say that in terms of politics and world affairs, that Canada's as neutral as say, Switzerland, but among N. American nations, it might be the 'Switzerland' of N. America.

A lot of foreigners are wary of Trump worldwide, that's for sure. Not that flashing a US visa will possibly mean less than a warm greeting in Islamic countries alone, but lot of Filipinos--long a friendly ally to the USA (The Philippines is estimated to have 5% Islamic population) were annoyed when Trump included the Philippines in a list of Islamic countries:

""He then named these countries as Afghanistan, Iraq, Morocco, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria, Uzbekistan, Yemen and the Philippines"", and piped up, "We're dealing with animals."

Offline AndyLee

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
At the moment I am not planning to return to live in the US, but we do plan to visit several months each year and it is all but impossible to get a tourist visa for ella so the next best thing is marry her and make her legal, yes?
For most of the year we are considering living in Ecuador. We are going to visit there on our honeymoon. My new wife Isabela lived two years in Ecuador in the seaside pueblo of  Bahia de Caraquez, about an hour north of Manta, the famous seaport where all the tuna comes from.
Isabela also lived in Panama and in Fiji and Polynesia and visited America Samoa, Vanuatu Island, Cook Island, Galapagos in Ecuador and Aruba when she was working for a vacation company that ran tours out of Latin America to both Caribbean and Pacific.
She is a nurse and pharmacist and got discouraged with the low pay in the health system in Colombia so she went looking for adventure. She wants to see the world and sometimes I think she´s been more places than me, her passport has a LOT of stamps.
We have friends in Canada we want to visit, so the US visa is important for us. The advantage of the K3 is she doesn´t have to spend the 3 years in the US proving up on her green card, and we can live wherever we choose.
In Canada we want to visit Vancouver and Seattle, both of which have very precious memories for me, and some of the best Chinese restaurants in the world. Then we want to cross over to visit Quebec and Old Quebec City.

If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »

I suppose you figure with either candidate it's bad?

If you are referencing Donald I'd say only the most partisan people can't see how poorly he's doing as a candidate right now. There is even a website with a Trump tax that calculates how many votes he is costing the republicans down ballot. Donald is probably the best thing that could have happened to the Dems. Instead of focusing on Hillary it's Donald insulting parents of the fallen, Donald wants to nuke Europe etc.

And Hillary is running as Obama 2.0. So I suppose you must be referencing Donald, because it doesn't sound like Hillary would be any different that the current administration. The only reason you'd feel the need to leave the country now would be for the change candidate. Otherwise you'd probably have already made the move.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline AndyLee

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
First time in my life I can ever recall wishing both vice-presidents were running for president instead.

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »

Congrats Andy!  Wishing you both much happiness ......

Offline whitey

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »
Congrats UC ... always good to have more than one passport.  If one gets lost, revoked, runs out of pages, etc. you can use the other.  If you are staying for extended time in a country/region where you can only get a tourist visa for say 3 months, you can re-enter on the other passport and get another 3 months.  Some countries like Colombia charge entry taxes for Canadians ($160.000) but not for other countries like the US.

I only travel on my Canadian passport and have never bothered to apply for a US one, but in a few more years when I don't have to work a 9-5 anymore, I'll definitely get my US passport ... if only to avoid paying that friggin' Colombian entry tax!

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
Congrats UC ... always good to have more than one passport.  If one gets lost, revoked, runs out of pages, etc. you can use the other.  If you are staying for extended time in a country/region where you can only get a tourist visa for say 3 months, you can re-enter on the other passport and get another 3 months.  Some countries like Colombia charge entry taxes for Canadians ($160.000) but not for other countries like the US.

I only travel on my Canadian passport and have never bothered to apply for a US one, but in a few more years when I don't have to work a 9-5 anymore, I'll definitely get my US passport ... if only to avoid paying that friggin' Colombian entry tax!

Theres an idea..for expats living full time in Colombia....two pasports with two different names..the 320000 a year is way cheaper in time and money than getting.any type of residenty visa, and 2 different passports with 2 slightly different names, they would never catch on you were there for more than 183 days..and no DIAN.on your ass

Offline Ray

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »

I suppose you figure with either candidate it's bad?

If you are referencing Donald I'd say only the most partisan people can't see how poorly he's doing as a candidate right now. There is even a website with a Trump tax that calculates how many votes he is costing the republicans down ballot. Donald is probably the best thing that could have happened to the Dems. Instead of focusing on Hillary it's Donald insulting parents of the fallen, Donald wants to nuke Europe etc.

And Hillary is running as Obama 2.0. So I suppose you must be referencing Donald, because it doesn't sound like Hillary would be any different that the current administration. The only reason you'd feel the need to leave the country now would be for the change candidate. Otherwise you'd probably have already made the move.

Care to revise those predictions?

;D

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128