It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: My wife is on her way to being an American  (Read 2663 times)

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My wife is on her way to being an American
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
She passed her test this morning. Ceremony will be next month. Quite an accomplishment for a Barranquillera who didn't speak nor understand any English when she came to this country 4 years ago. Very proud of her....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
Re: My wife is on her way to being an American
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
She passed her test this morning. Ceremony will be next month. Quite an accomplishment for a Barranquillera who didn't speak nor understand any English when she came to this country 4 years ago. Very proud of her....

Congratulations. We have fond memories of the experience, especially the formal swearing in ceremony. Don't forget to take pictures. Just a lot of happy people from all over the world. Some mostly older people had a little party afterwards for all the new citizens, pretty much just a cookies and lemonade arrangement, giving us little USA flags and stuff. Just a nice vibe. Afterwards, we made a day of it, seeing the area, having a nice dinner, etc.

My wife is proud to be a US citizen, but that didn't stop her from having me drive her all the way to the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC, to make sure she also kept her citizenship from the Philippines, giving her dual citizenships.

At that, we were still suprised when an absentee ballot for the Presidential elections showed up in her mailbox---that's expensive postage and it was prepaid for mailing back. She picked the winner, which is good, but I don't think she's seeing anybody in the USA Presidential election this time to get enthused about.

Oh well, that being the case, she's in no hurry to register, lest she get assigned jury duty!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:37:59 AM »
Congratulations. We have fond memories of the experience, especially the formal swearing in ceremony. Don't forget to take pictures. Just a lot of happy people from all over the world. Some mostly older people had a little party afterwards for all the new citizens, pretty much just a cookies and lemonade arrangement, giving us little USA flags and stuff. Just a nice vibe. Afterwards, we made a day of it, seeing the area, having a nice dinner, etc.

My wife is proud to be a US citizen, but that didn't stop her from having me drive her all the way to the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC, to make sure she also kept her citizenship from the Philippines, giving her dual citizenships.

At that, we were still suprised when an absentee ballot for the Presidential elections showed up in her mailbox---that's expensive postage and it was prepaid for mailing back. She picked the winner, which is good, but I don't think she's seeing anybody in the USA Presidential election this time to get enthused about.

Oh well, that being the case, she's in no hurry to register, lest she get assigned jury duty!
Thanks Robert. It was neat to see a few people giddy walking out of the interview room back into the lobby, just having been told they passed the test, and they couldn't contain their excitement. It reminded me how fortunate I am to have been born in this country....

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:37:59 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:19:23 AM »
Way to go.What a success story.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:02:27 AM »
Way to go.What a success story.
thanks Elex

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »
Just saw this thread. M.C.: Congrats to your wife!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
Just saw this thread. M.C.: Congrats to your wife!
Thanks Hector

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »
I was somewhat suprised,  but quietly proud that my wife went through the somewhat difficult process of registering to vote online for the upcoming  election. Took several weeks for the card to arrive and she anxiously checked the mail everyday.

I didn't pressure her. Actually I told her that especially this time around, there isn't much quality to choose from amongst the candidates. 

I explained that my Filipina ex never registered because she didn't want to be bothered with having to possibly serve jury duty, part of a US citizen's legal responsibility once they register to vote.

It's not like my ex was afraid she might be on a jury that would have to decide whether or not someone should die in the electric chair. To the contrary, if I was sentenced to the electric chair, she'd probably donate a commercial grade back up generator in case on my 'day of reckoning', the power went out. Odd, as with dozens of other previous lovers, including some I lived with for years, I would still get a hug and a kiss on the cheek from any of them. Maybe even more....

Undeterred, my wife registered, probably feeling that (without saying it) that it was simply the right thing to do for her new country.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:12:38 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293