It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Guns & weapons in different nations, legal systems & cultures  (Read 1279 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Guns & weapons in different nations, legal systems & cultures
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:34 PM »
Not sure how they are about guns and weapons where you travel to, but when I first started going the Philippines, I noticed that in most public places, there are lots of govt. as well as private people in uniforms. They were (are) often very visibly carrying weapons.

Big weapons too, like full on automatic assault rifles in calibers as suitable for very large game as for bank robbers. Every airport, bus terminal, port, bank, Mall, and many of the stores, have visibly armed guards. Armed police, military and private security on the streets in the city and countryside--not unusual.

You'll see lots of single and double barreled shotguns, plenty of 45 caliber '1911' style semi automatic handguns too. In the country side, many households have at least an old revolver tucked away somewhere, if for nothing else but to quickly put down a farm animal too old and hurting to live a happy, productive life or perhaps to quickly 'ready' a big, burly pig for roasting w/o getting too close and dirty.

Most of these guns were pretty much carbon copies 'clones' of the more popular guns sold in the USA--the Mossberg 500 Shotgun, in 'Streetsweeper' "Persuader' and other forms, the original, venerable Colt- Browning '1911' 7 shot pistol (it was actually designed for close quarters war against Filipinos themselves ironically) -->"""Much of the combat was at close quarters, where the Moros’ (Islamic Filipinos) long-bladed kris knives were used to lethal effect.""" 

http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?ID=301

The first 1911's were rather crude, not good for distance accuracy, prone to jamming before they could discharge their 7 bullets, but our GI's soon realized that in the 'close quarters' warfare they were designed for, that once they jammed or were emptied, being so heavy--that they made for great clubs to bash the enemy with in hand to hand combat!

Same with modern the 'AR' rifles--and even the old 'Barney Fife' type revolvers, which closely resemble the old, reliable Smith & Wesson police issue revolvers used for many decades in the USA. Clones. My father in law has an excellent clone of the old S&W 25-2, which would probably fetch $1200 on sale if it were real 1950's era S&W here in the states.

So I found myself curiously looking, amazed that many of the guns looked the same as the ones I have at home right here in the USA. The only thing different was the brand name.

That's because to a one, they were made, and usually made quite well, in the Philippines. Before the Russians, Czechs, Croatians and Turks caught on in the USA as people--nations that made pretty good weapons, the Philippines already had a pretty good reputation for making weapons that while not typically fancy or pretty, were darn reliable and easy to service.

Sure, the Italians were the first (Beretta, 1526) to make handguns, but once the Filipinos caught on, they were full in. I have spoken to a lot of fellows who had Philippine made 'Rock Island Armory" brand '1911' style  45 and 9mm handguns they bought in the USA, sometimes for less than $300--I remember them (Rock Islands) not long ago for $229. Actually--these 'clones' of USA brand weapons in 1911 style are made in at least half a dozen calibers, by many small operators under different names there. But most USA gun shops today still have PI made 'Rock Island Armory 1911s"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Island_Armory_1911_series

Eventually, their American owners usually sold them, moving up to a fancier 'brand name' 1911 with a few nicer, but basically unnecessary features. I mean, after all, the Rock Island they had went 'boom' every time they pulled the trigger, shot accurately and as pistol guys will sometimes say:

"She was better than a fat girl on cheap date" --"No matter what (ammo) I fed her, she ate it right up--it got kind of dirty, but didn't have to clean up much--no problems".

And to a one, they almost always said: "I never should've sold that pistol!"

There are lots of laws in the Philippines about guns, you're supposed to pay for courses, licenses etc. But the reality is just like almost no one has a pesos worth of car insurance no matter how much their vehicle cost and how insane driving there is, with no traffic lights in most places (not that they'd obey them, or the speed limits), almost no Filipinos care or obey the laws on guns either.

In fact, they make them at home, in little 'Mom and Pop' factories--from simple 'zip guns' to quality semi auto pistols to high capacity, surprisingly good quality assault rifles--even grenade launchers. They take pride in their workmanship.

Just like they'll take a suspension leaf spring from an old, 'totalled' jeepney and through heat treatment, temper the blade and make a fine, high carbon 'bolo' knife -- with mine,you could use to shave your whiskers or kill a large animal (and wood shard holder for keeping it by your side) they take scrap, junk metal and make some amazing guns and knives. The 'butterfly'--'fan' --balisong' knife--all invented in Philippines and by many accounts, the kalis--kris knife--swords also. They are--even beyond guns and knives--with trash materials and agriculture too, the ultimate recyclers, wasting nothing.

And with billions of people in South East Asia, the 100 or so million population Philippines is thought by many to be the largest producer and exporter of weapons in the region.

Just one of thousands of weapon makers there, albeit the largest in the Philippines--'Armscor'-- produces more weapons than Beretta, Glock or Heckler & Koch (HK)

And there are a LOT of Glocks in police and military use worldwide. The USA, which is known to stock a few weapons, has used Berettas for the last 30 years (it's being phased out now) as their official sidearm--it replaced the 1911, which had previously served our military for about 70 years!

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/01/09/army-rejects-m9a3-proposal-opts-for-new-pistol.html

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/gun-debate-firearm-companies/2012/12/19/id/468439/

What's sad to me is that even though my wife has dual citizenship--(Philippine & USA) and I am a registered home owner there, if I had--if I was caught with a gun, I'd be jailed and quite possibly deported forever if and when I got out! Where I live in the USA, you can sell them at garage sales, so if I have one and was dumb enough to go that way, I'd do well!

So what's like where you go overseas??? ???

http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?ID=301

http://kitup.military.com/2011/10/the-home-brewed-danao-guns-of-the-philippines.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/philippines/industry-arms.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:42:47 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467