Forum > Immigration and Visas

K-1 & K-2 visa question...need a little help please!

(1/1)

sean126:
I searched various forums before posting this question and couldn't find any good answers to my questions. 

My female friend is bringing her fiance from colombia with his two kids to the U.S...ages 8 & 9 years old.  The natural mother is O.K. with this.  They were never married....and he is listed on their birth certificates as their father.  They are listed on the I-129F which has already been approved.  They are in the process of waiting to fax in the packet forms to get the interview date.

Questions...
1.  I know the kids don't have to attend the interview in Bogota, but do they have to take the medical exam in Bogota or can they do it in their home town?  If in Bogota...I assume they have to pay the same amount as the Father?

2.  I've seen conflicting advice on this one.....Do the kids need to fill out additional paper work (besides being listed on the  I-129F) to get their visas or do they automatically get one with the father?  If they do need attional paperwork, which form and fee?

3.  As I said...the natural mother is O.K. with him bringing the kids here.  Is a notarized statement saying he can take them to the U.S. the only thing he needs from her or does he need (or should he get) some other paperwork for her to sign and notarize?

If I'm missing anything...feel free to throw that in too.   Thanks in advance.

utopiacowboy:
1. My wife's kids had to attend the interview along with their mother. The interviewer made sure they were there and matched each one up with their names. All the medical examinations are done in Bogota with the specified doctors.

2. The kids are applying for visas too. They have to complete the same paperwork as the parent along with the $100 application fee. They also need their own passports.

3. The DAS are the people he needs to satisfy at the airport. They will want an affidavit from the mother and one from him as well. He should check with them to make sure that they will be saitisfied.

Ray:

--- Quote from: sean126 on October 15, 2006, 06:29:19 PM ---
2. I've seen conflicting advice on this one.....Do the kids need to fill out additional paper work (besides being listed on the  I-129F) to get their visas or do they automatically get one with the father?  If they do need attional paperwork, which form and fee?

--- End quote ---

Sean,

I don't know why you are getting conflicting advice on this one. Though the kids don't need a separate petition for a K-2 visa, they still have to submit separate visa applications (Form DS-156). As Cowboy mentioned, the visa fee is $100 each.

Each child will also need a passport, birth certificate, photos, and the medical exam. They don’t need the police clearance. The embassy “should” accept a photocopy of the original notarized Form I-134 and supporting financial documentation for each child.

The visa packet “should have” included instructions for the K-2 applicants. If not, dad may want to phone the IV Unit at the embassy to clarify the procedure, just to be safe.

Ray

sean126:
Thank you both very much.  Both of you have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version