It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Landlord issues  (Read 2212 times)

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Landlord issues
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »
I let my landlord  know yesterday in writing that my fiancee would be moving in with me May 13, and to please let me know if that is problematic... She told me she needs to do a credit check on my fiancee ("they have credit cards in Colombia, don't they?"). Well, I checked with my fiancee and of course she has never had a credit card. Meanwhile, I've been living in this apartment almost six years and have never been late with my rent, have good credit, and my monthly income is 4 times my rent...My landlord said she needs to check with her boss on this. Anybody encountered any similar goofiness when their fiancee was about to move in?

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Landlord issues
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:33 AM »

No, I have never heard of this problem before.

She almost assuredly won't have any listing with any of the US credit bureaus if she has never lived in the States before, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. She won’t have any negative things on her credit report because she has no history with them.

You can inform your landlord that she will be living there, but anything else shouldn’t be any of her business unless you have some weird clause in your rental or lease agreement forbidding it.

BTW, you don't need a credit card to have a file with the credit bureaus.

Ray

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
I too never hears of it.

I added my wife to my lease and all she had to present were id & her SSc.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »
The landlady left me a voicemail saying she's going to need her to fill out the papers to do her credit check and "it's in our rules..."

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
The landlady left me a voicemail saying she's going to need her to fill out the papers to do her credit check and "it's in our rules..."

No problem. She can run her through the credit bureau and whichever credit bureau(s) she uses will probably just open a new file on her.

When are you planning the wedding? If possible, it may be better to wait until you are married and then submit the paperwork for the landlord using her married name. Also, the credit bureau will likely require an SSN, which will take a little while for her to get anyway. Explain that to your landlord if she bugs you about it.

Ray

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
I'm looking for another place, but from my understanding the landlord has little ground to stand on in this matter. My fiancee is arriving May 12 and we are getting married May 14. At that point, she will legally be my wife...

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
Now that I'm looking to rent another apartment I'm completely up front about my fiancee coming from Colombia, not having a credit history,etc., and no one has  had a problem with it except my current landlord...

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
I've discovered in some cases bad credit is actually better than no credit at all. That's bull[snip] though. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it and waited for them to say something. I commend your candor.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
I let my landlord know ahead of time as a courtesy and I never imagined it'd be a problem....

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
mambocowboy the rental management agent is not the landlord. She is a flunky who was hired on the basis that she follows orders to the letter and does not think 'outside of her job description'. If she is an agent of a real estate managment agency her boss was hired under the same criteria. The real landlord is most probably a REIT, Real Estate Investment Trust. Hire a lawyer to run interference for you with the rental managment agency. Or move of of that hellhole and find a landlord who owns and manages an apartment building as your new landlord. You should not have any problem with you current rental history and income.
Any apartment or domicile that one rents from no matter how posh it may be, is a hellhole legally if you must deal with absentee landlord owners.   
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 25