It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Tijuana  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Shaky

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Tijuana
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:27:27 AM »
I'm looking for info on places to go in Tijuana. In a previous thread JWR recommended Villa Severios as a place where you could meet women. I'm especially interested in dance places.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Tijuana
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
Hey Shaky:

I hear a great spot in T.J. is "El Alebrije"

I have not been YET but a Latino guy I know in Los Angeles says the place is really good...upscale club with lots of local women. You will meet some women from San Diego but I hear it is mostly locals.

You should P.M. me sometime. I am planning to go to T.J. soon. Would be good to have a wingman. Actually, you can't PM me until you have 10 posts.

Offline Shaky

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
Yes,  I'm working my way up to 10 posts.

Thanks for the recommendation on El Alebrije the online pics look good.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »
Sounds like you were there recently. When was the last time you were in T.J.?

Just curious because the recent crime trend in T.J. is not good. Looks like 2017 was worse than 2016 in terms of homicides. 

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-california/sd-me-homicides-tijuana-20180102-story.html

I was last there in 2016. I had no problems. I get that tourists are not targeted but I would prefer to see the crime trend getting better...not worse.

What are you thoughts on the safety issue there...?

Offline Shaky

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
All I can really contribute to the topic of safety/crime is based on my last two trips (one in November, one in December). In the places I was (at the border crossing, Zona Rio, and Ave Revolucion), I didn't feel unsafe and I didn't get the idea that anyone else felt unsafe. The feel was similar to what I get when I'm in the North Park neighborhood of San Diego: as long as there are people around, it's OK; if I had to walk down an empty street, it would be a different matter.

I think I'll be most concerned inside a disco, where the chances I'm going to inadvertently trigger a problem with one of the local toughs is always a possibility. Some of the Yelp reviews of El Alebrije also warned that it is not unknown for a bouncer there to give the customers a problem, especially the gringos.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
All I can really contribute to the topic of safety/crime is based on my last two trips (one in November, one in December). In the places I was (at the border crossing, Zona Rio, and Ave Revolucion), I didn't feel unsafe and I didn't get the idea that anyone else felt unsafe. The feel was similar to what I get when I'm in the North Park neighborhood of San Diego: as long as there are people around, it's OK; if I had to walk down an empty street, it would be a different matter.

Yep, that is the areas I stuck to when I was there in 2016.

I think I'll be most concerned inside a disco, where the chances I'm going to inadvertently trigger a problem with one of the local toughs is always a possibility. Some of the Yelp reviews of El Alebrije also warned that it is not unknown for a bouncer there to give the customers a problem, especially the gringos.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Agreed...must be cautious/careful not hit on the wrong girl who is there with her Narco boyfriend.

Did you use Uber while there or just taxis?

I heard some taxi drivers at the border attacked some uber drivers (and passengers) in mid-2017.

Offline Shaky

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »
I ended up taking taxis. When I was there with my friend, the taxis were more convenient and cost wasn't a factor (especially split two ways).

On my solo trip, I took a taxi from the border (they were lined up, ready to go) and planned to take an Uber back to the border. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to set the border as a destination on Uber - so I just found a taxi.

Safety-wise, an Uber probably makes more sense, but I've never had an issue with the taxis there, either.

Offline Shaky

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
<snip>

You took the words right out of my mouth. Agreed...must be cautious/careful not hit on the wrong girl who is there with her Narco boyfriend.

<snip>

Even hot-heads can be a big problem with no "connections" can be a big problem. It's an issue wherever you are, but it's probably just more likely in new surroundings when people are speaking a language in which you are not fluent. Well, I'm certainly not fluent in Spanish, maybe you are. 

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
^Definitely true.

Thanks for the info. on the taxis. I have used them as well and had no issues.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
never heard of anybody having a problem in a disco or bar in TJ, and i know many guys who go there, Americans and Mexicans.

of course if your a drunk idiot in a foreign bar, your going to find a problem eventually.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
Depending on where I am, I take down the license plate and other info to ID the car & driver if something goes wrong. Have to be careful which taxi and how much you trust someone if you have them find you a cab.

And I try to not put luggage into the trunk of a taxi, even if that means, me/we are crowded inside.

Oh, some taxis will say the meter doesn't work. Don't buy it. Or at trip's end, they don't have cash to change larger bills---carry enough small bills. Some with meters have them rigged so each time they hit the horn, the meter jumps, lol...

Travel is just chock full of adventure!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Shaky

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
Depending on where I am, I take down the license plate and other info to ID the car & driver if something goes wrong. Have to be careful which taxi and how much you trust someone if you have them find you a cab.

And I try to not put luggage into the trunk of a taxi, even if that means, me/we are crowded inside.

Oh, some taxis will say the meter doesn't work. Don't buy it. Or at trip's end, they don't have cash to change larger bills---carry enough small bills. Some with meters have them rigged so each time they hit the horn, the meter jumps, lol...

Travel is just chock full of adventure!

All these are reasons I would rather use Uber. Everything is tracked and there is no meter.

I don't believe I've ever taken s taxi in Mexico without negotiating the fare ahead of time.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:20 PM »
All these are reasons I would rather use Uber. Everything is tracked and there is no meter.

I don't believe I've ever taken s taxi in Mexico without negotiating the fare ahead of time.

There was a warning on Trip Advisor in April 2017 about Uber drivers (and sometimes passengers) getting attacked at the border crossing between S.D. to T.J. The Taxi drivers (specifically the Yellow Taxis) were pissed that Uber was cutting into their territory. These are the Yellow Taxi's which line up on the Mexican side of the border.

The warning was by a regular traveler to T.J. from So.Calif. Not an alarmist type person at all.

From what I have read once you are inside the city and away form the border there aren't any troubles. The biggest obstacle is at the border. Perhaps just take a Yellow Taxi upon arrival at the border and then for the rest of time use Uber. 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:20 PM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »
I'm looking for info on places to go in Tijuana. In a previous thread JWR recommended Villa Severios as a place where you could meet women. I'm especially interested in dance places.

Do you have any good suggestions for meeting women in T.J. during the daytime? 

I know you were just there twice recently but I am trying to figure out some alternatives to night/dancing. I am for anything that works.

My concern is the night/dancing scene is harder to break into if you are alone and aren't active in the T.J. social scene. Won't strop me from trying but you get my point.....

Offline Shaky

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 12:40:24 AM »
Do you have any good suggestions for meeting women in T.J. during the daytime? 

I know you were just there twice recently but I am trying to figure out some alternatives to night/dancing. I am for anything that works.

My concern is the night/dancing scene is harder to break into if you are alone and aren't active in the T.J. social scene. Won't strop me from trying but you get my point.....

I definitely get your point. Unfortunately, I know little about TJ.

I was at a busy mall in Zona Rio (I walked there to catch a taxi back to the border), and there were plenty of women there.

Basically we would be looking at all the same places you can find women here during the day.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
^Cool..thanks. Sounds good.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1