It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: DennisLevy, the old guard...  (Read 7022 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: DennisLevy, the old guard...
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 06:24:42 AM »
Thanks for pointing out how useless this board is again.

If you want to improve your chances of not being murdered the stats beat out anecdote observations every time.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/news/2019/07/24/most-dangerous-cities-world-tijuana-caracas-cape-town/1813211001/

""""Latin -> General discussion / Re: I'm done with Colombia traveling[size=0.85em]« on: February 21, 2013, 0

[/size]Latin -> General discussion / Re: I'm done with Colombia traveling« on: February 21, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
 I've worked in the streets of NY, Brooklyn (Bed sty) and others and I would consider myself an expert on crime. My facts speak for themselves. I know 3 gringos who moved to Colombia on a permanent bases. All 3 are dead. 2 were murdered the other died in a medical mishap. With the small number of gringos I know who lived there and all are gone you might see why I'm somewhat jaded. My wife had a gun put to her head in a burgulary/armed robbery in Envigado 2 years ago. They pulled the trigger but the gun was not loaded. They did not know that at the time  as the gun was one of the items they came to steal. Since then her Uncle has been robbed while waiting for a light to turn green in his vehicle while Christmas shopping. Lost all the gifts and his watch, rings but kept his life. My 14 year old told me a story that while going to the airport a few years ago they were stopped by the police who refused to let them go without handing over 10.000 COP. In the USA you go to jail for many years for that behavior. I know may people like to put their head in the sand and believe that Medellin is no more dangerous then any other big city.....yea just keep on believing that....cause my friend that will get you killed.
 My thoughts are based on what I've seen first hand and what others close to me have experienced. Colombia is a very dangerous place to live ... Life is cheap there and if you become a victim of a crime there' a 95% chance it will go unsolved.
 In all the times I traveled to Colombia I never fooled myself into believing the place was safe. I went there for one reason which was the ease of meeting very beautiful women.
Colombia is a beautiful country , the women even more so. But corrupt, backwards, dangerous it is also. As the other poster said "Colombia is not for everybody" I agree especially if you value you life.
 As for the post... "I've had my identity stolen here in the us and it caused my tax return to get all screwed up a few years ago. I think I'm going to renounce my us citizenship and leave never to return"
[size=78%]Exactly my point....another gringo with his head in the sand.[/size]7:51:46 PM »
 I've worked in the streets of NY, Brooklyn (Bed sty) and others and I would consider myself an expert on crime. My facts speak for themselves. I know 3 gringos who moved to Colombia on a permanent bases. All 3 are dead. 2 were murdered the other died in a medical mishap. With the small number of gringos I know who lived there and all are gone you might see why I'm somewhat jaded. My wife had a gun put to her head in a burgulary/armed robbery in Envigado 2 years ago. They pulled the trigger but the gun was not loaded. They did not know that at the time  as the gun was one of the items they came to steal. Since then her Uncle has been robbed while waiting for a light to turn green in his vehicle while Christmas shopping. Lost all the gifts and his watch, rings but kept his life. My 14 year old told me a story that while going to the airport a few years ago they were stopped by the police who refused to let them go without handing over 10.000 COP. In the USA you go to jail for many years for that behavior. I know may people like to put their head in the sand and believe that Medellin is no more dangerous then any other big city.....yea just keep on believing that....cause my friend that will get you killed.
 My thoughts are based on what I've seen first hand and what others close to me have experienced. Colombia is a very dangerous place to live ... Life is cheap there and if you become a victim of a crime there' a 95% chance it will go unsolved.
 In all the times I traveled to Colombia I never fooled myself into believing the place was safe. I went there for one reason which was the ease of meeting very beautiful women.
Colombia is a beautiful country , the women even more so. But corrupt, backwards, dangerous it is also. As the other poster said "Colombia is not for everybody" I agree especially if you value you life.
 As for the post... "I've had my identity stolen here in the us and it caused my tax return to get all screwed up a few years ago. I think I'm going to renounce my us citizenship and leave never to return"
Exactly my point....another gringo with his head in the sand."""""""""""

I'm sure that being a white, relatively rich gringo---going after the most desirable women in a macho, impoverished nation doesn't change your status (or lack thereof)--that it doesn't make you a statistical anomaly in the slightest! That said, while "There are lies, damned lies and statistics"--I think the longer you stay there, and the more your daily lives get intertwined with the dysfunctionality that is there--especially in the more densely populated areas, the more likely that something bad is gonna happen.I wouldn't be too quick to look at the so called 'numbers'- statistics gleaned from tens of millions of men, women and children native to the area, apply them and think: "We're safe!"Even out in the countrysides of the world, people get annoyed with strangers 'moving in' sometimes and bad things happen. Wells get poisoned--or worse."It's the nail that sticks out that gets hammered"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:54:11 AM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 08:20:35 AM »
If yoou want to avoid being murdered treat people nice and dont dar papaya..and livein smaller safer places

Living in safer places or rather avoiding really dangerous places is what looking at the stats will tell you.

Want to double your odds of never being murdered in Medellin then just stay out of el centro.

Same thing applies to any other city in the world.

I'm certainly safer in Medellin than were I grew up in east LA.

The stats that I would really like to see is the number of gun shot victims per city per cápita worldwide because many more people survive gun shots in the USA compared to other parts of the world.

A stat on gun violence would be much more telling on how dangerous the USA is compared to other parts of the world.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:32:04 AM by Calipro »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »
Living in safer places or rather avoiding really dangerous places is what looking at the stats will tell you.

Want to double your odds of never being murdered in Medellin then just stay out of el centro.

Same thing applies to any other city in the world.

I'm certainly safer in Medellin than were I grew up in east LA.

The stats that I would really like to see is the number of gun shot victims per city per cápita worldwide because many more people survive gun shots in the USA compared to other parts of the world.

A stat on gun violence would be much more telling on how dangerous the USA is compared to other parts of the world.

You can go ahead and cherry pick (what's available) statistics all day, even applying them like tints of paint onto your rose colored glasses. But that doesn't make the dead,  the robberies or the living in fear, the need to be 'extra careful'-- that fear and awareness, any less real.

The stat that'd be most relevant here is the number of white playboys, who after five years in Colombia ended up dead.

The number of guys honest enough to admit, "Yeah, I came for the women, although the weather is good too" and what happened to them in a five year period.

You need enough of a correct sample size, over a long enough period, for it to be valid.

I promise you those figures would be a lot different than what you might see in some newspaper about some nations comparative crime rate.

If "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" is true,  Colombia is probably like a black hole that eats truth.

But go ahead anyways--generalize entire populations--men, women and children included, take it from some newspaper source, be it city, or move out to the country and think: "I'm OK" if it makes you feel better.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, that's for sure!!

But seeing "how useless this board is" not only is that unlikely,  but even if the figure was available, (and there's always talk about the many crimes unreported, unsolved) you guys would still insist "That's not me!!" Denial and bliss are close cousins.

""We got something, we both know it

We don't talk too much about it

Ain't no big secret, all the same
Somehow we get around it

It don't really matter to me
You believe what you want to believe

You don't have to live like a refugee""" (Tom Petty)

Or do you?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:34:40 AM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:40 AM »
You can go ahead and cherry pick (what's available) statistics all day, even applying them like tints of paint onto your rose colored glasses. But that doesn't make the dead,  the robberies or the living in fear, the need to be 'extra careful'-- that fear and awareness, any less real.

The stat that'd be most relevant here is the number of white playboys, who after five years in Colombia ended up dead.

The number of guys honest enough to admit, "Yeah, I came for the women, although the weather is good too" and what happened to them in a five year period.

You need enough of a correct sample size, over a long enough period, for it to be valid.

I promise you those figures would be a lot different than what you might see in some newspaper about some nations comparative crime rate.

If "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" is true,  Colombia is probably like a black hole that eats truth.

But go ahead anyways--generalize entire populations--men, women and children included, take it from some newspaper source, be it city, or move out to the country and think: "I'm OK" if it makes you feel better.

But seeing "how useless this board is" not only is that unlikely,  but even if the figure was available, (and there's always talk about the many crimes unreported, unsolved) you guys would still insist "That's not me!!" Denial and bliss are close cousins.

Somehow we get around it

Or do you?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 09:46:47 AM »

Somehow we get around it

Or do you?
Living in fear really...jajaja

Do you know how many foreigners travel to Colombia per year? 
And how many live here full time.

I would say about 4 million tourist per year and about 250 thousand foreigners living here full time.
An I would say the murder rate of tourists and foregn resident s is lower than any large city in the USA just because foreigners tend to stay in the best places and poor Americans can't ever seem to escape their crime filled neighborhoods
 Quit being such a pussy and go to Colombia...we all know you want to deep down jajaja

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
Colombia really isn’t that bad. You can make statistics say anything you want to if you have a thorough understanding of how numbers work and which data points to highlight. I’m talking more about an overall feeling of safety though. I’ve never thought twice about going outside and taking a walk in Colombia, regardless of the city. Even in some of the more dangerous neighborhoods I have friends in. It’s a country like any other...bad parts and good parts. Predators and victims. Those that keep this in mind at all times will be fine. Dennis’ situation was a complete freak accident.

Mickey, that used to post here, has pretty much walked the entire city of Medellin. You think he was ever once overcome with fear? I’ve traveled quite a bit. It’s really not that bad. Rio de Janeiro was MUCH worse when it cones to personal safety as a foreigner.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:57:49 AM by benjio »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 12:01:31 PM »
Living in fear really...jajaja

Do you know how many foreigners travel to Colombia per year? 
And how many live here full time.

I would say about 4 million tourist per year and about 250 thousand foreigners living here full time.
An I would say the murder rate of tourists and foregn resident s is lower than any large city in the USA just because foreigners tend to stay in the best places and poor Americans can't ever seem to escape their crime filled neighborhoods
 Quit being such a pussy and go to Colombia...we all know you want to deep down jajaja

Of course I do! I'm pretty sure I'd like it TOO much! Besides, Sodom and Gomorrah are out of the travel picture for me! And actually,  it might not be more dangerous than most of Miami and right b4 CV19, we were actually discussing heading back to South Beach.

But I'll bet you have quite a few wealthy expatriates, living rather safe, rather isolated lives there in paradise.

I'm sure that some of them even have local 'home delivery' and experience the local female 'culture' in their gated homes.

It's not so much the bigger (not deaths per million)  picture of gringo murders I'm thinking about. it's not even the ballers, the players who go there for 1 - 3 weeks--it's the gringos who live there 5 - 10 years and ball multiple women on a 'fast track on a regular basis. The guys not 'settling into' a more reasonable life. The ones getting all caught up in 'the lifestyle.'

Throw in clubs, booze, drugs, hot women, their boyfriends, poverty, put that--and their friends/families, into the mix and you got trouble in river city, and I don't mean pool!

Here or there, your safety is all relative to your lifestyle choices. Almost every city in The Americas" has a 'bad part of town' if you want to go there.

But it looks like Medellin gets at least 2.5 million tourists a year--far more than anywhere else in Colombia, and is a beautiful city in South America. Some nice buildings, decent infrastructure, greenery, parks, etc.

It, figuratively and literally, is known to be world class for birdwatchers.

To go from almost no tourists when the cartels held sway to millions, that means it's got something great going for it and I don't think it's the salt water taffy.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:57:20 PM by robert angel »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
Colombia really isn’t that bad. You can make statistics say anything you want to if you have a thorough understanding of how numbers work and which data points to highlight. I’m talking more about an overall feeling of safety though. I’ve never thought twice about going outside and taking a walk in Colombia, regardless of the city. Even in some of the more dangerous neighborhoods I have friends in. It’s a country like any other...bad parts and good parts. Predators and victims. Those that keep this in mind at all times will be fine. Dennis’ situation was a complete freak accident.

Mickey, that used to post here, has pretty much walked the entire city of Medellin. You think he was ever once overcome with fear? I’ve traveled quite a bit. It’s really not that bad. Rio de Janeiro was MUCH worse when it cones to personal safety as a foreigner.

It's all anyone has to do to gain better perspective is just go to Baltimore or St Louis and realize you are in a more dangerous city than any city in Colombia.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »

But I'll bet you have quite a few wealthy expatriates, living rather safe, rather isolated lives there in paradise.

I'm sure that some of them even have local 'home delivery' and experience the local female 'culture' in their gated homes.

It's not so much the bigger (not deaths per million)  picture of gringo murders I'm thinking about. it's not even the ballers, the players who go there for 1 - 3 weeks--it's the gringos who live there 5 - 10 years and ball multiple women on a 'fast track on a regular basis. The guys not 'settling into' a more reasonable life. The ones getting all caught up in 'the lifestyle.'

Throw in clubs, booze, drugs hot women, their boyfriends, poverty, and families into the mix and you got trouble in river city, and I don't mean pool!

I'm not sure how many Mudds we have living here .....but if you are staying in and ordering in....you are missing the point of living in a culture that centers around interpersonal relationships

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 12:55:04 PM »
Of course I do! I'm pretty sure I'd like it TOO much! Besides, Sodom and Gomorrah are out of the travel picture for me! And actually,  it might not be more dangerous than most of Miami and right b4 CV19, we were actually discussing heading back to South Beach.

Throw in clubs, booze, drugs, hot women, their boyfriends, poverty, put that--and their friends/families, into the mix and you got trouble in river city, and I don't mean pool!

Here or there, your safety is all relative to your lifestyle choices. Almost every city in The Americas" has a 'bad part of town' if you want to go there.

But it looks like Medellin gets at least 2.5 million tourists a year--far more than anywhere else in Colombia, and is a beautiful city in South America. Some nice buildings, decent infrastructure, greenery, parks, etc.

It, figuratively and literally, is known to be world class for birdwatchers.

To go from almost no tourists when the cartels held sway to millions, that means it's got something great going for it and I don't th[size=78%]ink it's the salt water taffy.[/size]

But one of these days...

I mean, what red  blooded American boy with a boner wouldn't mind poking around Medellin?

Eternal spring huh? Have they found the fountain of viagara yet?

I just have an errr..'scheduling conflict.

Off with her to the beach in fact. Just demolished Fort Worth ribeye steaks, taters and vegies.

She's catching a 30 minute 'power nap.'

We'll catch the sunset over the ocean on one side of the island at 8:09 catch full moon rise over the the ocean on other side at 9:42, get some neck in in-between.

Come home, watch some TV, finish the wine and wrestle.

I can live with schedule conflicts like that--in fact, I'm all tied up and ready, for the whole weekend!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:08:29 PM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467