It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 50 most dangerous cities in the world.  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
Re: 50 most dangerous cities in the world.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Common..we all.know hevis being so negative just to.keep the.other expats away from Medellin.

Air pollution especislly and traffic is a really big issue.though

And Bello is not the best and safest barrio

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »
Is it pretty much the same people in the same areas killing each other or are they kidnapping and murdering foreigners?
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »
I’ve been to half of the cities on that list. IMHO most of the homocides are gang related or have something to do with organized crime (cartels, drug trafficking, etc.)

Offline Calipro

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Is it pretty much the same people in the same areas killing each other or are they kidnapping and murdering foreigners?

There is nothing in the stats about who is killing who. The stats are based on the number of murders per 100,000 residents of a particular city.
Of course if you stay in the best parts of any city you will be safer than if you go to the worst parts. But some of the cities in Mexico have no good parts. jajaja

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »

There is nothing in the stats about who is killing who. The stats are based on the number of murders per 100,000 residents of a particular city.
Of course if you stay in the best parts of any city you will be safer than if you go to the worst parts. But some of the cities in Mexico have no good parts. jajaja

Been to Cancun a couple times and no issues

Usually a couple of extremely drunk girls in their 20s from Saskatoon that get drunk at Coca Locas and pass out in the bar and get beat up or raped and it is all.over the Canadian press how dab
Dangerous Mexico is.

Always the victim mentality.Never take responsilility for their actions

Offline Calipro

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 06:58:42 PM »

Usually a couple of extremely drunk girls in their 20s from Saskatoon that get drunk at Coca Locas and pass out in the bar and get beat up or raped and it is all.over the Canadian press how dab
Dangerous Mexico is.

jajaja

Yeah some people are better at dodging bullets than others.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6024568/cancun-murders-mexico-drug-gang//

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »

jajaja

Yeah some people are better at dodging bullets than others.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6024568/cancun-murders-mexico-drug-gang//

Yeah, Mexico's totally off the chain. Trying to shut down the narcos and stop the killing there is like playing 'whack a mole' at the game arcade. As in this news article from today shows. They put El Chapo away in Chicago and his son takes over. If it wasn't his son, somebody else would've grabbed 'control'
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10161410/el-chapo-son-ovidio-guzman-freed-mexico-cartel/

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 01:03:50 AM »
I’ve been to half of the cities on that list. IMHO most of the homocides are gang related or have something to do with organized crime (cartels, drug trafficking, etc.)

^This. Tijuana was No. 1 on the list in 2018. I was there in 2018 and made it back across the border. Granted I stayed in the nice areas of town, didn't get stupid drunk, etc.

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »

Dangerous Mexico is.

I had a buddy about 5yrs ago spotted a couple mexican guys drop something in a couple girls drink at the Holiday Inn resort in Cancun. He warned the girls and he was a little drunk at the time. On the way back to his room he got jumped and thumped pretty good. Cops interviewed him at the hospital and treated him like a criminal and only left him alone once they found out he didn't have any money. The Holiday Inn manager just tried to pretend nothing happened. It was pretty obvious it was a scheme everyone was in on except the tourists.

I cant tell you how many friends go down there or other contries with the thought that they will stay at an all inclusive resort, not leave the resort, take a few photos near the beach, at the bar and portray that as a great travel experience. I cant do that. If I'm going to travel to a foreign country, I'm going to see the sigts of that country or region. I always hear friends that goto Cancun, "If yo stay on the resort your fine." so basically the cartels run everything around there including the tourist areas and the resorts themselves. Do you really want to put your money into their hat?

I understand maybe people have that sense of security of being around others with their similar appearance. That's the reason I will never travel on a cruise liner and why I don't like being around places mobbed by tourists.

[size=78%] [/size]

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »

I had a buddy about 5yrs ago spotted a couple mexican guys drop something in a couple girls drink at the Holiday Inn resort in Cancun. He warned the girls and he was a little drunk at the time. On the way back to his room he got jumped and thumped pretty good. Cops interviewed him at the hospital and treated him like a criminal and only left him alone once they found out he didn't have any money. The Holiday Inn manager just tried to pretend nothing happened. It was pretty obvious it was a scheme everyone was in on except the tourists.

I cant tell you how many friends go down there or other contries with the thought that they will stay at an all inclusive resort, not leave the resort, take a few photos near the beach, at the bar and portray that as a great travel experience. I cant do that. If I'm going to travel to a foreign country, I'm going to see the sigts of that country or region. I always hear friends that goto Cancun, "If yo stay on the resort your fine." so basically the cartels run everything around there including the tourist areas and the resorts themselves. Do you really want to put your money into their hat?

I understand maybe people have that sense of security of being around others with their similar appearance. That's the reason I will never travel on a cruise liner and why I don't like being around places mobbed by tourists.

[size=78%] [/size]
I don't understand why you won't go on a cruise?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:43 PM »
With the exception of places like those listed in Mexico, which I consider similar to active 'war zones' to stay out of, I actually think that I'm safer overall in my travels abroad, be it land or sea, than I am in my own home city.

Where we live, guns abound--I'd guess the criminals, the rich and the poor alike, are equally armed. Except for rare occasions,  most killings occur in the same neighborhoods,  the same folks killing each other.

I posted a pic here of my wife and I last month of us on the French Riviera. On the evening of July 14th 2016, a 19-tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people there, celebrating Bastille Day, killing 86, injuring 458. The Muslim terrorist was killed in the gun battle afterwards.

The year before, in Paris on November 13th,  5 separate Muslim bombings killed 138, injuring  413.

We traveled over land over 2000 miles, from London to Switzerland,  including to numerous cities and towns in Italy.

Nice and Paris, as well as Switzerland in general, are the places we'd most like to go back to, even though in Geneva we witnessed a near riot/fight along a busy avenue, a short stroll from our hotel. I was amazed that 8, maybe more vans, full of full riot gear equipped police (and more on motos) came out of nowhere and broke it up, in a mix of brute force, explosions, smoke and bright red fireworks.

I asked a cop what was going on, he just said: "It's a soccer exhibition" --he didn't say 'futbol' LOL. It never showed up in any news source afterwards--I looked.

I was born in NYC and my wife and I also love to visit the 'Big Apple'. 9/11 not withstanding,  we look forward to returning.

I won't say we're brave, stupid or naive-- we got lost in Paris and Nice in seedy areas and saw what seemed like skeletal junkies sleeping in the doorways--we were careful, aware. We didn't linger there.

But given the chance, I refuse to not visit what to me are the most historic and beautiful places on earth.

Just getting out of bed and going for a drive is a calculated risk. No, I don't intend to be stupid and my wife's a savvy, aware traveler too. We're just not gonna let the bastards keep us from getting out and having a good time.

I think I'm more likely to die choking on a hot dog than I am at risk traveling out of town, as long as I'm not going into an active war zone similar to Mexico's. 

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »

Dangerous Mexico is.

Been to Cancun a couple times also, even took the 3 hour public bus (an interesting study in humanity there) to Chichen Itza's magnificent Mayan ruins, thoroughly exploring them before they became popular and the govt. had to cordon off the most interesting parts.

This was in the mid and late 80s. Less than 20 years before, there weren't two dozen people living there or anywhere closer than Merida, quite a distance away.

Cancun was a govt. project to make money. It, as well as nearby Tulum and Cozemel certainly have. Today there's an entire "Mexican Riviera " that caters also to cruise ships, extending from the Yucatan well into Central America.

So Cancun was invented, like a kool aid recipe. But by the late 80s, it already had a bit of urban grime pollution, a patina that belied its recent orgins.

But my drinking buddies and I, fueled by endless cheap Coronas and readily available valium from public pharmacy's--no Rx needed--we were stupid and fearless.

While seeing the federales cruising in their jeeps with stout machine guns attached to the sides did give us pause, we were still young, naive and stupid.

The only thing that scared me was when after a long, long drive, many miles far beyond the city lights, the taxi finally got us to a whorehouse.

When we finally got there, we were not sure we wanted to be there after all. To say it seemed 'sketchy' is an understatement 

I was the first in, and when one saucy young chica lifted my shirt and started licking my nipples, my friends and I readily chickened out, running back to the cab like middle schoolers, terrified by a different sort of the female species from which we were otherwise familiar.

We have a standing offer to visit and stay for free in Mexico City, which is supposed to be nice and quite sophisticated in places. A Filipina school mate of my wife is an engineer there.

But until they get a grip on the narco violence in Mexico, it's just not anywhere near the top of our list to visit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:47:17 PM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
I don't understand why you won't go on a cruise?

I just have no desire to be around a mob of people on a floating toilet when i am trying to relax.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
Take all statistics with a grain of salt

https://colombiareports.com//why-colombia-doesnt-go-to-the-police-or-trust-statistics

If you go into some place with the look of a Deer in the headlights and "Dar Papaya" or do stupid things you are sure to be a victim eventually

BTW I also tame anything that comes out of that leftist rag CR with a grain of salt.

Or anything posted on this or other forums with a grain lf salt

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 03:08:38 PM »

I just have no desire to be around a mob of people on a floating toilet when i am trying to relax.

While most of the cruise ships are like small cities,  I see your point. Unless we go outside the mainstream cruise lines, we are not in a hurry to do anything longer than a five day trip if we take another.

Last time we did a week. It was too much in every way. Too much fattening food, alcohol, 24X7, too many people, a bit of a cheesey summer camp but 'camp' intended for adults atmosphere.

While we were catered to (at a price), it wore thin. You're sort of a captive at sea. As typical from land or sea, it was so good to get home and sleep in our own bed, in control of our own lives & events.

It's amazing how often we take vacations and then feel like we need a vacation to recover from the 1st vacation, but instead have to go back to work.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:58:29 PM by robert angel »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
While most of the cruise ships are like small cities,  I see your point. Unless we go outside the mainstream cruise lines, we are not in a hurry to do anything longer than a five day trip if we take another.

Last time we did a week. It was too much in every way. Too much fattening food, alcohol, 24X7, too many people, a bit of a cheesey summer camp but 'camp' intended for adults atmosphere.

While we were catered to (at a price), it wore thin. You're sort of a captive at sea. As typical from land or sea, it was so good to get home and sleep in our own bed, in control of our own lives & events.

It's amazing how often we take vacations and then feel like we need a vacation to recover from the 1st vacation, but instead have to go back to work.

I’ll never do a big cruise ship again. They are absolutely horrible. Notoriously unsanitary. About 100+ people got some kind of stomach bug on my last cruise to Cozumel and it WAS NOT pretty.

If your little lady likes being on the water Robert there are several yacht owners in Cartagena that do multi-day tours of of San Andreas and The Rosario Islands. I did three days with an ex-girlfriend a few years back and we really enjoyed ourselves. The captain had a staff of two other people that waited on us hand and foot and he turned out to be an excellent cook. A couple of times I even caught our dinner. I spent about $2800 I think but it was well worth it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:50:37 PM by benjio »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »
Take all statistics with a grain of salt

https://colombiareports.com//why-colombia-doesnt-go-to-the-police-or-trust-statistics

If you go into some place with the look of a Deer in the headlights and "Dar Papaya" or do stupid things you are sure to be a victim eventually

BTW I also tame anything that comes out of that leftist rag CR with a grain of salt.

Or anything posted on this or other forums with a grain lf salt

jajaja

The stats of the 50 most dangerous cities is based on one stat. The number of murders per 100 thousand residents in any given city.
Nobody has to file a police report and even Colombia knows how to count dead bodies. jajaja

I have always felt less safe in Mexico than in Colombia even before I even knew what the stats were. I have always felt that Mexicans don't really like Americans much as a group.

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 11:20:46 PM »
Ha ha ha...this is an interesting article.
For the past 7 years, I've been going to Tijuana multiple times per week to eat, date, and enjoy.
I jump on my Triumph motorcycle for some of the best mini vacations in my life. 

Fantastic times. 

Word has it that the cartels have invested into legitimate businesses like hotels, malls, and restaurants.  They basically don't tolerate crime against tourists that are spending money in their businesses.  The police are paid off well to let the cartel do their thing, and no longer need to harass tourists.  Petty thieves know they shouldn't mess with tourists.

Only incident I had after many, many trips is one day I stupidly left my helmet on my seat while I grabbed a drink at the mini mart.  A street urchin grabbed it and ran off.   The security guard from across the street yelled to me what was happening.  I didn't see the thief so I invited the security guard to get on the back of my motorcycle to chase him down.  After he climbed on, we sped through the neighborhood chasing this guy, until he finally stopped and gave me the helmet back.  No confrontation, just put my helmet on, gave the security guard a hundred dollar bill (expensive helmet), and I was on my way.  Not too smart, should have just let him keep the helmet.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:25:33 PM by JWR »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »

I won a free cruise from long beach to rosarito. Very relaxing except for entry to and exit from the cruise...

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 139