Forum > Latin -> Introductions and Ice-Breakers

New gringo here. Hi, all.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Wildstubby:
Isthis4me said:
--- Quote ---Thanks, robert. Hopefully, I'm planning on taking my first trip either later this year, or next.  I've got to get 'mi pasaporte' and will probably use my money that our 'greedy uncle' decides that I can have back in a couple of months, for the trip.

Right now, I'm using duolingo to learn a little spanish, but will probably end up trying to find at least a Spanish 1 class at a tech school. Not sure how good duolingo is, even though it's fun.

Funny thing, I just joined LAC and before I could get pics or a profile up, I already had 4 messages.
--- End quote ---
A couple things. When I first went to Colombia, my Spanish was limited to what I had learned in 6th grade and several visits to Spain. I don't know if you have an Iphone or not. I have a moto and used and continue to use Google Translate regularly! Download the language into your cellphone so that you can translate, (somewhat) when you don't have Wifi or interenet. It really comes in handy when filling out those customs forms, (use your camera and it will translate what is on the paper for you!). I think Jamie's agency has translators so just relax and take everything in. I was told it was not a final exam. So play it like that! I would listen to Jamie's advice should he give it to you. I chatted with him once and he seems to be up on things. Disclaimer: I never used his services!
LAC like Colombian Cupid has it share of scammers. They do a pretty good job of weeding them out but some get by. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is! Most women from Colombia have Whatsapp so don't be surprised if they want a video chat on that medium. Some are just as weary as you. Remember that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked! Don't be afraid to look for advice, especially here!Re: Passport- Do yourself a favor and opt for the card. It is only $10 more and it will get you entry driving from Mexico or Canada to the US and Puerto Rico via boat, (I don't think it will cover entry via air). If you don't like lines, look at Global Entry. Its a nice way to get through customs and beat the lines. Also you get the regular TSA entry, (not like the full cavity search).

robert angel:

--- Quote from: Wildstubby on January 13, 2019, 02:21:35 PM ---Isthis4me said:A couple things. When I first went to Colombia, my Spanish was limited to what I had learned in 6th grade and several visits to Spain. I don't know if you have an Iphone or not. I have a moto and used and continue to use Google Translate regularly! Download the language into your cellphone so that you can translate, (somewhat) when you don't have Wifi or interenet. It really comes in handy when filling out those customs forms, (use your camera and it will translate what is on the paper for you!). I think Jamie's agency has translators so just relax and take everything in. I was told it was not a final exam. So play it like that! I would listen to Jamie's advice should he give it to you. I chatted with him once and he seems to be up on things. Disclaimer: I never used his services!
LAC like Colombian Cupid has it share of scammers. They do a pretty good job of weeding them out but some get by. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is! Most women from Colombia have Whatsapp so don't be surprised if they want a video chat on that medium. Some are just as weary as you. Remember that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked! Don't be afraid to look for advice, especially here!Re: Passport- Do yourself a favor and opt for the card. It is only $10 more and it will get you entry driving from Mexico or Canada to the US and Puerto Rico via boat, (I don't think it will cover entry via air). If you don't like lines, look at Global Entry. Its a nice way to get through customs and beat the lines. Also you get the regular TSA entry, (not like the full cavity search).

--- End quote ---

As for using Google Translate, isn't paying to bring your USA celluar service down there pretty expensive? How's coverage (signal) generally? WIFI availability?

ag1987:
I am heading to Jamie's agency on Thursday and will be down there for a couple weeks. He has been super helpful so far and, based on being in business for so long, really has a good process down. Many posters here are veterans and have been very willing to offer advice on their "been there, done that" experience. Everyone has their opinion, but I think the agency is not a bad option due to limited time to be down there. If I was able to work remotely and live there for months, I doubt I would look at an agency as an option. I've promised many a trip report following my visit and will do that shortly after my return.

ag1987:

--- Quote from: robert angel on January 13, 2019, 02:57:58 PM ---As for using Google Translate, isn't paying to bring your USA celluar service down there pretty expensive? How's coverage (signal) generally? WIFI availability?

--- End quote ---

One option is T-Mobile - they have a plan for + $15/mo to get unlimited data in over 100 countries (I can't remember the number but Colombia is one of them). Just connect to the local provider (Claro?) and use apps that use data. A regular phone call to the states is like 20c/min but calls via FaceTime, FaceTime Audio, WhatsApp, Viber, etc. are in that unlimited data.

robert angel:

--- Quote from: ag1987 on January 13, 2019, 03:02:06 PM ---I am heading to Jamie's agency on Thursday and will be down there for a couple weeks. He has been super helpful so far and, based on being in business for so long, really has a good process down. Many posters here are veterans and have been very willing to offer advice on their "been there, done that" experience. Everyone has their opinion, but I think the agency is not a bad option due to limited time to be down there. If I was able to work remotely and live there for months, I doubt I would look at an agency as an option. I've promised many a trip report following my visit and will do that shortly after my return.

--- End quote ---

FWI, Let Jamie know that the riff raff, the flies and ticks that trolled here unabated, are gone, that his reputation stands for itself and he's not only welcome here, but it'd probably be good for business.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version