It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Greetings from southern California  (Read 7850 times)

Offline Shaky

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Greetings from southern California
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »
Hello, I’m new to this board. I’m in my mid-50s and live in San Diego. I’ve had some interest in international dating for several years, but only recently did I dip my toe in.
Just over a week ago, I decided that I wanted to look for women in Latin America and joined LatinAmericanCupid.com; this was after roughly three weeks on Fdating.com where I connected with some interesting, but ultimately incompatible women from FSU and the Philippines. .
The Latin American Site turned out to be a treasure trove of interesting women.
One of the first women I messaged, responded to me the next day and she and I bonded quickly over WhatsApp. She is from Rio De Janeiro, tall, late 40s with a pretty face and a body bigger than most men here would probably find acceptable; I think she is beautiful. She has a good education and has her own small business. Our conversations are always upbeat and we seem to have similar thoughts on things. We use an online translator to text over WhatsApp as her English ability is better than my non-existent Portuguese, but not nearly good enough to speak confidently. We did one video chat, which mostly consisted of us being able to see each other while we texted, but we still had chemistry doing that. Her smile is amazing.
Just as I was getting to know “Rio” I connected with “Panama” online. She is 20 years my junior, but otherwise similar to Rio: tall, beautiful face, gorgeous smile, and a little overweight. We have been texting over WhatsApp for just a few days, but we have really hit it off. She has a certain spirit to her that you rarely find. “Panama” is from a smaller town several hours west of Panama City. She is the kind of woman who can take my teasing and give it right back. As a salute to our age difference, she calls me “Daddy,” mostly because I told her it probably wasn’t a good idea. “Panama” has great spirit and passion, and is also a bit emotional and not as mature as I would hope (perfectly acceptable for a woman her age, I guess) We also communicate through WhatsApp through an online translator as her English is better than “Rio”, but still not great.
So, I’ve hidden my profile on the site and I’m talking to these two. Both of them want me to visit them (not a surprise).
After one week, it is obviously far too early to consider moving to a more committed stage of a relationship, but I have been considering visiting Rio. I would have to pay for my plane ticket and expenses once I’m there, but I would get a tour of Rio from a native, free lodging, and a probability of sex while I’m there.. Plus, I would get to know this woman. I need to take a vacation anyway, and this would cost not much more than other options I have looked at and I would get to see a great city. The biggest downside is that she tosses me out after a day or two, I find a place to stay on AirBnB, and have an awesome week in Rio.
Thanks to anyone who made it through my story. I just wanted to write it all down so that I could see it and then let more experienced people give me their advice. A few things that I just don’t know due to my lace of experience in this area:
1) Is it smart to take a trip to see a woman even though you know it is way too early to be moving forward in the relationship? The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning toward visiting “Rio” in Rio de Janeiro in December (I could also visit “Panama” as we have discussed a potential rendezvous in Panama City).
2) What is it like to visit a woman when neither of you speaks the other’s language? I enjoyed doing a call on camera with “Rio”, but it was frustrating to always go back to the online translator. Of course, it would be easier to communicate in person in some ways. Do people hire translators (the human kind) in this situation? That seems a little extreme as it’s just a chance to tour Rio and not negotiations for a peace treaty.
3) This is a bit unrelated, but one of them asked me about when they could work if they came to the US. I told her she wouldn’t be able to work if she came in on a fiance visa, but i wasn’t sure what would happen after we got married; would she immediately be able to work?
4) A catch all question: what red flags go up when you read my story?
Thanks in advance for any responses and please be gentle.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
Re: Greetings from southern California
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:20:34 AM »
Good..welcome.. a sane person...sounds like you have a little sense and not looking for a young airhead in her early 20s (or even 30s) with fake boobs and ass job..

Unlike the rest of us suckers..

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »
Red flag with the woman asking about work and visa so early. Forget about that one.

It is very difficult, and portugues is a difficult language, but you have to learn the language and spend some time living with them down there before even thinking of bringing them back to their own country.

I would suggest looking at immigrant latina (or oter type) women in their 40s (since you are open to this) in the US, good idesa. But go for ones that already have their green card. There are many Latinas in the uS on tourist visas, staying illegal, looking for a sucker to "fall in love" with them, so they dont have to pay the $15,000 to $20,000 going fee for a fake marriage to get their green card.

I know of some personally.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
Why the hell not just go over the border to Tijuana and further south?

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »
All I can speak to is the language issue.

When I first started communicating with my now wife online, I did not know any Spanish. None. We communicated in chat apps and I used online translators to write to her in Spanish. I quickly developed a basic proficiency in Spanish with a limited vocabulary.

When I met her in person in Colombia I carried a Spanish-English dictionary everywhere we went. We communicated exclusively in Spanish. Every day I would have a headache by night time. I would watch a Seinfeld episode on Colombian television just to see something in English again.

Eventually my Spanish abilities improved to the point that I didn't need the dictionary because I could just ask her what a word was and I could understand her explanation or ask further questions. 

Now fourteen years later, I am completely fluent in Spanish. I will always have a gringo accent of course but I can read novels in Spanish, listen to music in Spanish, watch television and movies in Spanish etc. I like being fluent in Spanish because the US is one of the largest Spanish speaking countries in the world. It opens doors to an entire cultural world that English speaking people do not even know exists.

My wife and I have communicated exclusively in Spanish our entire time together. Since we live in San Antonio, Texas her somewhat limited English ability has not stopped her from doing anything she wants to do. She has a good job as a production supervisor at the Toyota  truck plant here. In the years since, she has learned a lot more English and can understand much of what is said in conversation. At this point we could probably switch to English but I don't really care.

I would be very careful in establishing a communication pattern. If your goal is for her to learn English or she speaks a language with limited usefulness in the US, then you should try to communicate in English and limit the use of her own language. In my case, it became quickly apparent that I had better language skills than my wife and anytime that we did try to speak English together, it was an exercise in frustration. So we would always revert back to Spanish.

That's my story. Your mileage may vary.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »

Hi Shaky,

Welcome to the board. Just to give you a little background on me: I lived in Brazil almost 3 years and have been visiting the country for almost the last 8 years. I have a young son with a Carioca and we've been together off and on for the last 2 1/2 years. She still lives in Rio and I now spend most of my time Houston but she has a visitors visa and the means to travel whenever she wants so I see my family very often.

1) Is it smart to take a trip to see a woman even though you know it is way too early to be moving forward in the relationship? The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning toward visiting “Rio” in Rio de Janeiro in December (I could also visit “Panama” as we have discussed a potential rendezvous in Panama City).

IMHO the sooner you can have face to face contact with a woman the sooner you'll both figure out whether or not you're wasting each other's time. A 6 month, red hot relationship over the internet can cool off really fast once you meet a woman in person and discover there's no real chemistry. You mentioned the possibility of having sex with her once you get there. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that if this woman is even remotely interested in you, she will sleep with you. The only very rare exception with women in Rio is if they're devout Catholics. Women aren't at all stuck up about their sexuality in Cariocaland. They fully embrace it. You'll figure that out pretty fast as soon as you go to a beach and discover most of the girls are wearing a string and a couple of handkerchiefs. They don't care about what you'll think of them for sleeping with you after just meeting you. They love sex as much as men so they just do it. As a matter of fact if you don't sleep with her during the first 3 days I can almost guarantee you she's not genuinely interested in you. That's just how the culture is. My girlfriend would tell you exactly the same thing.

I don't know your financial situation but as far as traveling in December that's the beginning of peak time for tourism in Rio. EVERYTHING is much more expensive. The girl you're going to visit is going to be a very valuable asset because she'll be able to keep a lot of money in your pocket. But if you go and things don't work out with the girl for some reason and you have to find lodging somewhere else, you're going to find that most of the hostels and AirBnB properties are full and a hotel room in a safe area (typically Zona Sul) will cost you anywhere from $100 - $800 USD per night...and that's if you can find one. December is one of the best months for the beaches and most of the Europeans that come to Rio to celebrate New Years stay for at least 3 weeks. It's a madhouse. I would wait until January because tourism won't pick up again until right before Carnival; or if at all possible go next month.

2) What is it like to visit a woman when neither of you speaks the other’s language? I enjoyed doing a call on camera with “Rio”, but it was frustrating to always go back to the online translator. Of course, it would be easier to communicate in person in some ways. Do people hire translators (the human kind) in this situation? That seems a little extreme as it’s just a chance to tour Rio and not negotiations for a peace treaty.

The language barrier is always a challenge but much more so with Portuguese. Robert is correct. Portuguese is a very difficult language. Not because of the words themselves, but because as Americans we're not familiar with its phonetics. There are a lot of sounds you make with your throat and your nostrils when speaking Portuguese. It's a very gutteral language and the unique Carioca accent only makes it more difficult to learn because no one else in the world speaks the language like they do in the state of Rio de Janeiro.

Spanish is so widely spoken in the U.S. we are subconsciously familiarizing ourselves with it all our entire lives. Most Americans know how to greet, show appreciation, etc. in Spanish. Although Portuguese follows the rules of all the other Romantic languages the way people speak it is completely foreign to us. The unforgiving ear of Cariocas only makes it worse. If you don't say it exactly how they say it, it's difficult for them to use context clues to figure out what you're trying to pronounce. It can be VERY frustrating. My advice to you would be to learn as much as you can before leaving. Buy Rosetta stone and sit in front of your computer for a couple of hours a day. Think about it like this: Even if things don't work out with the girl in Rio you're speaking to now, you have an entire country of gorgeous women you'll be able to speak to as you get better.

3) This is a bit unrelated, but one of them asked me about when they could work if they came to the US. I told her she wouldn’t be able to work if she came in on a fiance visa, but i wasn’t sure what would happen after we got married; would she immediately be able to work?

Definitely a red flag. Not a deal breaker though.

A catch all question: what red flags go up when you read my story?

See my response above...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:37:37 AM by benjio »

Offline mambocowboy

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »

Hi Shaky,

Welcome to the board. Just to give you a little background on me: I lived in Brazil almost 3 years and have been visiting the country for almost the last 8 years. I have a young son with a Carioca and we've been together off and on for the last 2 1/2 years. She still lives in Rio and I now spend most of my time Houston but she has a visitors visa and the means to travel whenever she wants so I see my family very often.

IMHO the sooner you can have face to face contact with a woman the sooner you'll both figure out whether or not you're wasting each other's time. A 6 month, red hot relationship over the internet can cool off really fast once you meet a woman in person and discover there's no real chemistry. You mentioned the possibility of having sex with her once you get there. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that if this woman is even remotely interested in you, she will sleep with you. The only very rare exception with women in Rio is if they're devout Catholics. Women aren't at all stuck up about their sexuality in Cariocaland. They fully embrace it. You'll figure that out pretty fast as soon as you go to a beach and discover most of the girls are wearing a string and a couple of handkerchiefs. They don't care about what you'll think of them for sleeping with you after just meeting you. They love sex as much as men so they just do it. As a matter of fact if you don't sleep with her during the first 3 days I can almost guarantee you she's not genuinely interested in you. That's just how the culture is. My girlfriend would tell you exactly the same thing.

I don't know your financial situation but as far as traveling in December that's the beginning of peak time for tourism in Rio. EVERYTHING is much more expensive. The girl you're going to visit is going to be a very valuable asset because she'll be able to keep a lot of money in your pocket. But if you go and things don't work out with the girl for some reason and you have to find lodging somewhere else, you're going to find that most of the hostels and AirBnB properties are full and a hotel room in a safe area (typically Zona Sul) will cost you anywhere from $100 - $800 USD per night...and that's if you can find one. December is one of the best months for the beaches and most of the Europeans that come to Rio to celebrate New Years stay for at least 3 weeks. It's a madhouse. I would wait until January because tourism won't pick up again until right before Carnival; or if at all possible go next month.

The language barrier is always a challenge but much more so with Portuguese. Robert is correct. Portuguese is a very difficult language. Not because of the words themselves, but because as Americans we're not familiar with its phonetics. There are a lot of sounds you make with your throat and your nostrils when speaking Portuguese. It's a very gutteral language and the unique Carioca accent only makes it more difficult to learn because no one else in the world speaks the language like they do in the state of Rio de Janeiro.

Spanish is so widely spoken in the U.S. we are subconsciously familiarizing ourselves with it all our entire lives. Most Americans know how to greet, show appreciation, etc. in Spanish. Although Portuguese follows the rules of all the other Romantic languages the way people speak it is completely foreign to us. The unforgiving ear of Cariocas only makes it worse. If you don't say it exactly how they say it, it's difficult for them to use context clues to figure out what you're trying to pronounce. It can be VERY frustrating. My advice to you would be to learn as much as you can before leaving. Buy Rosetta stone and sit in front of your computer for a couple of hours a day. Think about it like this: Even if things don't work out with the girl in Rio you're speaking to now, you have an entire country of gorgeous women you'll be able to speak to as you get better.

Definitely a red flag. Not a deal breaker though.

See my response above...

Exactly.  Great advice.And i would add, without knowing their language you can't understand these women or their culture...

Offline Calipro

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »
Good..welcome.. a sane person...sounds like you have a little sense and not looking for a young airhead in her early 20s (or even 30s) with fake boobs and ass job..

Unlike the rest of us suckers..

Sane?

Can't he find a big beautiful woman in the U.S. that speaks english?

If was looking for what he is looking for the mother load is right under his feet. jajaja

Offline Shaky

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
Thanks so much for the helpful responses. There are obviously a lot of knowledgeable people on this board.

[/size]
Red flag with the woman asking about work and visa so early. Forget about that one.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
This is actually my fault. I am a consultant and work out of my home, which is not large (1100 sq ft, totally fine for 2 people), so I think it is best that my future wife work outside the house during normal business hours. I brought up the issue with the woman who is 20 years younger than me and she said that she wanted to start working as soon as possible. When I told her I knew she could not work on the fiance visa, she asked when she could work. [/font]
[/size]
[/size]One of the things I did not like about the FSU women is that they all saw a move to the U.S. as an end to their working days. It's not that the money would be a big issue (although a few more bucks is helpful, especially if we're going to be sending money to her family), but there would be nothing here for her to do if she didn't work.  I have no children, my house is not big enough that maintenance is a big issue, and ideally she would be out of the house while I am working.
[/size]
[/size]One of the issues I had with the FSU and Filipinas I met on Fdating is that they had no intention of working a job once they came to the U.S. - even if they had one in their home country.

[/size]
Why the hell not just go over the border to Tijuana and further south?[/font][/size]

We certainly have more than our share of Mexican immigrants here, but I find them the opposite of the women I am talking to: very little personality, very reserved, no interest in doing much except being home. Over the border in Baja, I don't find the women very attractive physically and they have the same issue with lack of personality (I haven't spent a lot of time on this avenue, but this is my experience). [/font][/size]
[/font]
[/size]At this point, I am where I am. I'm going to pursue these two women and then see what happens after that.

[/size]
All I can speak to is the language issue.[/font][/size]

This is a lot of good info; many thanks for posting it here. [/font][/size]
IMHO the sooner you can have face to face contact with a woman the sooner you'll both figure out whether or not you're wasting each other's time. [/font][/size][/font][/size]

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense. [/font]

[/size]

You mentioned the possibility of having sex with her once you get there. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that if this woman is even remotely interested in you, she will sleep with you. [/font]
[/size]

I was being a little bit discreet here. Here is a snippet of a conversation we had when we first started texting:[/font]
[/size]
[/size]Her: I will be happy to show you my city
[/size]Me: If I'm going to fly all the way to Rio, I'm going to want to see a lot more than your city!
[/size]Her: Vamanos
[/size]
[/size]I fully expect us to have sex in the first several hours I am there.

[/size]
I don't know your financial situation but as far as traveling in December that's the beginning of peak time for tourism in Rio. EVERYTHING is much more expensive.
[/font][/size]

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I try to take a vacation the first two weeks of December as I find air fares and hotels are cheaper during that time. I priced out a December 2-9 trip and the air fare was definitely cheaper that week than anytime in January (by a little under $200). Perhaps I will be trading off reduced air fare for higher costs elsewhere in the budget. Obviously, I'll look into this further before I book a trip. [/font]

[/size]

Portuguese is a very difficult language. Not because of the words themselves, but because as Americans we're not familiar with its phonetics. There are a lot of sounds you make with your throat and your nostrils when speaking Portuguese. [/font]
[/size]

This makes me feel better. In our only camera session, "Rio" was trying to teach me a few words in Portuguese and couldn't understand why I couldn't just repeat what she was saying. She might think I take the short bus. [/font]

[/size]
My advice to you would be to learn as much as you can before leaving. Buy Rosetta stone and sit in front of your computer for a couple of hours a day. Think about it like this: Even if things don't work out with the girl in Rio you're speaking to now, you have an entire country of gorgeous women you'll be able to speak to as you get better.[/font][/size]

Good practical advice. I have been working on speaking Portuguese, but it makes sense to increase that double down on that. [/font][/size]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:23:58 PM by Shaky, Reason: Formatting issues »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
Exactly.  Great advice.And i would add, without knowing their language you can't understand these women or their culture...

Who needs language in Brazil?  All the women know is sex - do you really need an interpreter during sex ??!!!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »

Who needs language in Brazil?  All the women know is sex - do you really need an interpreter during sex ??!!!

Gets pretty wild down there. Takes three to make a threesome.... ::)
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »

The OP is interested in a long term relationship so language is important.  I wasnt aware you've been to Brazil. Must have missed that trip report...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
Even if you think you are "Fluent" in the language, you find every day you are not so fluent. Always new words, verbs, and communication issues with people.

Heck it is even the same in your native language, but even more so in one you only took up in your middle ages..if even if you speak it every day, day in and day out.

Then there are the cultural and local dialect issues. Heck sometimes people from Bogota dont understand people from the Coast or the Eje Cafetero and vice versa.

Argentinians- even worse

But some couples are lucky enough to have "fifth Sense" communication. I am not so lucky.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:21:34 PM by Elexpatriado »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
Even if you think you are "Fluent" in the language, you find every day you are not so fluent. Always new words, verbs, and communication issues with people.

I know exactly what  you mean but I think the words "fluent" and "native" are different for a reason. I know guys that have lived in Rio 20 years and MAN!!!....they can really blend in linguistically. Those few are definitely what I would call fluent. But a native Brazilian that's listening close enough can always tell the difference. I thinks that's what it takes to get to that point though. Long term, uninterrupted immersion and dedication to the language. When I did my little 1 year stint in Colombia I was fluent in Spanish after about 3 months. I had already spoken Spanish for more than a year. After being forced to use it constantly and having to acclimate myself to the Costeno accent I could speak Spanish without missing a beat. The only thing that bothered me was people constantly asking where I was from after they heard me speak. This would usually happen after only a couple of statements out loud. I hated that! so I got a speech tutor and bought some accent development CD's. I got better...but I still wasn't a native. I never will be.

I've been away from Brazil almost 3 years and I have forgotten a lot of Portuguese. The worst part about that is my son is not learning English yet. I plan on making sure he does but at this point he's a victim of his environment. Even though he still very young when he's here he responds a lot better to Portuguese as that's what he's used to hearing.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:36:01 AM by benjio »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »

Heck it is even the same in your native language, but even more so in one you only took up in your middle ages..if even if you speak it every day, day in and day out.

Then there are the cultural and local dialect issues. Heck sometimes people from Bogota dont understand people from the Coast or the Eje Cafetero and vice versa.

Argentinians- even worse

But some couples are lucky enough to have "fifth Sense" communication. I am not so lucky.

Even after all these years I can't understand one of my sisters-in-law to save my life. To make matters worse she is a low talker. I used to have problems understanding my stepkids but it's no longer a problem.

I noticed when I was reading novels in Spanish that they would use unfamiliar words which I would have to look up and I would ask my wife about them. She would say, oh I never use that word or I don't like that word etc. It made me realize that my Spanish is a mirror of her Spanish right down to the vocabulary and expressions.

At this point my accent is my accent. One of my sons mocks me for it but when we traveled together in Colombia I had to do all the talking because he doesn't know how to say anything. His accent is good though lol! Even my stepsons both of whom have college degrees and speak perfect English have accents speaking English. My stepdaughter who came here when she was nine, has no accent at all.

On the other hand, in French which I learned as a child, my accent is pure Quebecois. Unfortunately with lack of use it has recessed to some dusty corner of my brain.

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
Shaky,

I live in San Diego also and you can't imagine the opportunities that are just across the border in Tijuana.
There are stunning women down there of all ages, sizes and economic situations.  Before you go off traveling to far off places like Panama and Brazil, I suggest some practice in your own back yard.

Since you have reasonable standards, and will date age appropriate women, you definitely can meet a nice girl right across the border, and go see her within 30 minutes from San Diego.  Also you could start with a sugar daddy relationship, and if you don't mind paying some college tuition (inexpensive) here and there you can be spending fun time with a smart mexican girl that will make you feel like a young guy again.

If you haven't been getting laid regularly, you should question all of your judgement at this point, and recognize your brain is not working correctly yet.  You need to get laid as soon as possible to get your brain working properly.

People are afraid of TJ because of the bad rep.  It's so much safer now because the cartels own alot of legitimate businesses, and want tourists to be safe.  They put the word out to not mess with the tourists.

So just to get started, you should park this side, walk across, taxi to the restaurant Villa Sevarios Fri. Sat. around happy  hour time, sit in the bar, eat something delicious and take in the scene.  Just get the feel of the place. There are very upscale areas in TJ that rival downtown San Diego.  Educated quality girls everywhere.   After, take the taxi back to the border and walk back across later in the evening.  Just see if you like it.  I ride my motorcycle down there, and I'm back across the border in no more then 10 minutes.

I've had lots of experience with Colombia, and also tried the Philippines.  Travel is such a pain in the ass, and I usually get sick during the trip.  Lately I've been keeping things just fun and staying close.

No need to wait, you can go have fun tonight.

Send me a message if you like for a few more details. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:13:29 AM by JWR, Reason: sp »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 06:33:01 AM »
Shaky,

I live in San Diego also and you can't imagine the opportunities that are just across the border in Tijuana.
There are stunning women down there of all ages, sizes and economic situations.  Before you go off traveling to far off places like Panama and Brazil, I suggest some practice in your own back yard.

Since you have reasonable standards, and will date age appropriate women, you definitely can meet a nice girl right across the border, and go see her within 30 minutes from San Diego.  Also you could start with a sugar daddy relationship, and if you don't mind paying some college tuition (inexpensive) here and there you can be spending fun time with a smart mexican girl that will make you feel like a young guy again.

If you haven't been getting laid regularly, you should question all of your judgement at this point, and recognize your brain is not working correctly yet.  You need to get laid as soon as possible to get your brain working properly.

People are afraid of TJ because of the bad rep.  It's so much safer now because the cartels own alot of legitimate businesses, and want tourists to be safe.  They put the word out to not mess with the tourists.

So just to get started, you should park this side, walk across, taxi to the restaurant Villa Sevarios Fri. Sat. around happy  hour time, sit in the bar, eat something delicious and take in the scene.  Just get the feel of the place. There are very upscale areas in TJ that rival downtown San Diego.  Educated quality girls everywhere.   After, take the taxi back to the border and walk back across later in the evening.  Just see if you like it.  I ride my motorcycle down there, and I'm back across the border in no more then 10 minutes.

I've had lots of experience with Colombia, and also tried the Philippines.  Travel is such a pain in the ass, and I usually get sick during the trip.  Lately I've been keeping things just fun and staying close.

I agree. I looked briefly at the Mexican Cupid site, and a lot of women in their 40s that put Colombian women in their 20s and 30s to shame. Plus more independent and higher social lever, because it is a slightly more developed country.

If I had to leave Colombia, Mexico is one of the places I would consider.

Cant compare the middle class Mexicans to the desperate illegals who cross over the border (who are mostly from Central America anyway)

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »

I agree. I looked briefly at the Mexican Cupid site, and a lot of women in their 40s that put Colombian women in their 20s and 30s to shame. Plus more independent and higher social lever, because it is a slightly more developed country.

If I had to leave Colombia, Mexico is one of the places I would consider.

Cant compare the middle class Mexicans to the desperate illegals who cross over the border (who are mostly from Central America anyway)
As JWR mentions, Tijuana is so close to San Diego. I live less than 10 miles from the border and can see the lights of the city from my house at nught. In retrospect  i should have dated there too...

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »

JWR: Agreed, travel to far away places is a pain especially when you have to work a regular full time job as I do. I am up just up the 405 Freeway from you in LA. I was in Tijuana last year for a short weekend and liked what I saw.

I'd like to take up your offer to Shaky and get some more insight on your take on T.J.  Look for a P.M. from me. Thanks!

Shaky: Welcome to the board. Didn't intend to derail your thread. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:32:43 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »
Shaky,

Totally agree with the getting laid part. Getting laid not only improves your judgement,  it also makes you more attractive to women and more confident in many areas of one's life...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
Totally agree with the getting laid part. Getting laid not only improves your judgement,  it also makes you more attractive to women and more confident in many areas of one's life...

Does it work the same with Sheep :P :P :( ??

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »

Does it work the same with Sheep :P :P :( ??
I dont know. You could try and let us know....

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 07:05:28 AM »
I dont know. You could try and let us know....

Are the Sheep in the hills around San Diego as good as in Armenia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2uMkz_1xPI

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 07:05:28 AM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »

Are the Sheep in the hills around San Diego as good as in Armenia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2uMkz_1xPI

Armenia?

I thought you were living in Manizales.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »

Armenia?

I thought you were living in Manizales.

Manizales, but spend a lot of time in Armenia Quindio  and all over the Eje Cafetero

But the Woody Allan Spoof is about Armenia in the Former Soviet Union...

Its from the movie "All you wanted to know about Sex but were afraid to asK" from the 70s.

The whole skit is hilarious, The Doctor,Gene Wilder , falls in love with "Daisy"  the Sheep. He gets more and more compromised, until finally, his wife and some PIs with cameras catch him in a hotel room with Daisy. He loses his medical license and works as a dish washer or something to support his relation with "Daisy".

Finally, at the end of the skit, he ends up as a drunken vagabond drinking rotgut in the street, his career, family life ruined, because of his obsessive relation with Daisy the sheep.

Colombia is more noted for Burras than sheep when it comes to this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:47:57 AM by Elexpatriado »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864