It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Will Be in Medellin For 30 Days--  (Read 27252 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Will Be in Medellin For 30 Days--
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »
that it is rude to back up from a close talking person in Latin American countries.
I doubt it is rude, can't recall experiencing this myself....bottom line is, I don't care if it is rude or not...if somebody is right up on me, I might back up a bit....

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline fathertime

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
http://www.fairplay-peru.org/en

This language school seems very interesting,

Only commenting in general on language acquisition. 

If I were in your position, I'd be all over getting started immediately on learning.  I wouldn't even wait for the language school, I'd start today, at home, with flashcards or whatever means. Any little bit of knowledge you have prior, when benefit you 5 fold when you start in earnest.    When you do go to the school be geared up 110%, it is a great opportunity. 

Fathertime!   
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Look how we have evolved this discussion or at least my preferences.

(1) Are most of the women that gringos get uneducated, low class not just in income but in perspective?

(2) Do most of the women have kids?

There are exceptions....but the average gringo that is going to Colombia with the main purpose of finding a wife....usually ends up with a low strata chick and most of the women actively seeking gringos out have children.

All that can be easily avoided by spending months not weeks in Colombia so you can actually meet women that aren't necessarily interested in getting married to a gringo and leaving their friends family and everything they have ever known..... to go live in another country.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »

(3) Are they all party? That is a conclusion that is very easy to draw when only having information from foreign men who come for sex and marriage.
(4) Promiscuous?

You can find party girls and ones that prefer be a home body.

As far as sex goes....they are very open to it.
Before I got married in a Catholic church in Cali.....I had to interview with the priest that was going to marry us.....He told us that sex is a gift from God....and that we should have it as often as we want between each other....and he told my wife that she was obligated to sleep with me.....but I would have never married a chick that wasn't as interested in sex as I was anyway.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »

You can find party girls and ones that prefer be a home body.

As far as sex goes....they are very open to it.
Before I got married in a Catholic church in Cali.....I had to interview with the priest that was going to marry us.....He told us that sex is a gift from God....and that we should have it as often as we want between each other....and he told my wife that she was obligated to sleep with me.....but I would have never married a chick that wasn't as interested in sex as I was anyway.

By promiscuos, I may be wrong I think he means multi partners when they are single and cheating on their significant other.

So I guess the answer is..depends on the girl...and what you are looking for..as all types..and as most people like sex, everyone has different morals.

Having said that, one can maybe generalize that a lot of lower strata Colombian girls tend to make a lot of mistakes in their sexual/ Love  lives, that is why there are so many single mothers.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »
You're going to get as many varied responses as there are guys on this board.

In my own case, my wife has a chemical engineering degree from a university in Medellin and worked for a long time in what was the world's largest textile plant supervising as many as 120 workers. She is hard working, no nonsense, punctual and thrifty, a classic paisa.

When I met her she was a 42 year old widow with three children and in Colombia at her age, that's a deal killer as far as marriage is concerned. She loves Colombia and Medellin and still owns an apartment in a nice area of town where her sister lives with her family. My wife's family are all college educated and they all have professional jobs and visas to visit the US. They are politically connected and regularly hobnob with Colombia's political class from the president on down.

In the US, she works as a supervisor at the Toyota plant in San Antonio where she supervises about 40 to 50 people. Her English is still marginal and we have always conversed in Spanish.

My story is probably atypical but then everyone's is in some regard.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2016, 02:39:11 PM »

(6) Are they intellectually boring? Cute women with bird brains?

(10) Are the best women in these countries not interested in foreigners because they already have a good thing going.

Most colombian women are not intellectual even when they are well educated they don't normally show that side of themselves.....very rarely will they hold an opinion or point of view so strongly on an  abstract concept that they would be inclined to debate it.

I think the main selling point with Colombianas  is they are much more interested in pleasing their man unless of course you are interested in some kind of intellectual discourse or advice. Jajaja

Offline Gavan

« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »

If I were in your position, I'd be all over getting started immediately on learning.  I wouldn't even wait for the language school, I'd start today, at home, with flashcards or whatever means. Any little bit of knowledge you have prior, when benefit you 5 fold when you start in earnest.    When you do go to the school be geared up 110%, it is a great opportunity. 

Fathertime!

Yeah, I agree. You shouldn't wait until you get to the language school. Keep studying but also start immersing yourself in Spanish as much as possible: listen to music in Spanish, watch Spanish language tv and Youtube videos, read articles in Spanish, etc. Immersion is by far the best way to learn a language IMHO.

Mikey, you like to travel don't you? You may want to check out this Youtube channel by Mexican travel Vlogger Alan Estrada. It is very entertaining to watch and his (Mexican) Spanish is very clear and easy to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/user/alanxelmundo

Offline mambocowboy

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »
Most colombian women are not intellectual even when they are well educated they don't normally show that side of themselves.....very rarely will they hold an opinion or point of view so strongly on an  abstract concept that they would be inclined to debate it.

I think the main selling point with Colombianas  is they are much more interested in pleasing their man unless of course you are interested in some kind of intellectual discourse or advice. Jajaja
Mikey,If you are looking for a hot intellectual girl in Colombia you will have a hard time finding that. ..

Offline whitey

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2016, 06:58:05 PM »

I don't know why a few computer geeks would make someone want to "stay the heck away from Poblado".  Most of the them don't even stay in Poblado, they stay in cheaper parts of the city.  The one and only reason I can think of to stay away from Poblado is that it's the most expensive area of Medellin.  But for those who aren't on a tight budget, Poblado is an awesome to place to live and hang out.

Hey Awesome - I probably should have qualified that statement, given that the OP is a digital nomad - he wouldn't be looking for the same things/experiences as me and there would definitely be many networking benefits in Poblado for that type of lifestyle.

I am a gringo snob - I like to be where there are no or very few other gringos, and have very little desire to pass any time with my gringo brethren while in Colombia. It might be different if I was living there, but since I am only there for vacations (2-6 weeks at a time), I enjoy the gringo detox and labouring under the illusion that I am the only gringo brave and intrepid enough to visit Colombia.
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »

Fathertime!

Agree!!

Mikey, if you buy a new camera wishing to become a professional photographer, would you wait till you attend a school without ever touching the camera you had bought ?!!  It is the same goes for learning a new language.

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »

Hey Awesome - I probably should have qualified that statement, given that the OP is a digital nomad - he wouldn't be looking for the same things/experiences as me and there would definitely be many networking benefits in Poblado for that type of lifestyle.

I am a gringo snob - I like to be where there are no or very few other gringos, and have very little desire to pass any time with my gringo brethren while in Colombia. It might be different if I was living there, but since I am only there for vacations (2-6 weeks at a time), I enjoy the gringo detox and labouring under the illusion that I am the only gringo brave and intrepid enough to visit Colombia.

I somewhat feel the same way.  When in Medellin I stay in an area far away from Poblado and I rarely ever head that way.  I know the city well enough now that I can easily avoid all gringo presence or contact when/if I want to.  One advantage I have is that when I do encounter gringos they don't recognize me as a gringo since I look Colombian, that is as long as I don't open my mouth to speak with my non Colombian accent.

Here's a great movie that would make any solo traveler think twice about meeting other gringos while traveling in Latin America.

"The Wrong Man" starring John Lithgow and Rosanna Arquette.

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
I'm not waiting to learn. I've been using Duo Lingo, Memrise and Yabla to learn. I'm also going to take Skype lessons with a tutor from one of the schools I want to attend. I refuse to come completely raw, although I don't have much time to learn.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2016, 10:34:34 PM »
I'm not waiting to learn. I've been using Duo Lingo, Memrise and Yabla to learn. I'm also going to take Skype lessons with a tutor from one of the schools I want to attend. I refuse to come completely raw, although I don't have much time to learn.

Mike,

I think you're already on the right track by approaching your Spanish Learning from multiple angles. I started off with Rosetta Stone which is great for establishing a foundation. But I was also listening to Spanish Radio in Houston, instructional podcasts like Coffee Break Spanish and speaking on the phone with girls. At one point I even got addicted to the telenovela Teresa. As a matter a fact it's on Netflix now with English subtitles if you're interested. Best thing about Teresa is regardless of the plot, the eye candy will definintely keep your attention. I could watch a show with Angelique Boyer, Ana Brenda Contreras, Mar Contreras (Ana Brenda's sister) and Fernanda Castillo speaking Klingon and I'd probably learn that language too!!  ;D ;D

Not having a lot of time until you get to where you're going is the good thing. The only true way to become fluent is complete immersion. Best of luck and keep at it. Learning another language not only allows you to communicate with people in foreign lands, but it opens you up to entire new cultures. Food, music, art, cinema...all will be at your fingertips. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:43:30 PM by benjio »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2016, 03:49:27 AM »
At one point I even got addicted to the telenovela Teresa. As a matter a fact it's on Netflix now with English subtitles if you're interested. Best thing about Teresa is regardless of the plot, the eye candy will definintely keep your attention. I could watch a show with Angelique Boyer, Ana Brenda Contreras, Mar Contreras (Ana Brenda's sister) and Fernanda Castillo speaking Klingon and I'd probably learn that language too!!  ;D ;D

My favorite Mexican telenovela actress is probably Marlene Favela.

Or Bárbara Mori (aka "Rubí;D )

Although the best Mexican  telenovela is probably "La Reina del Sur" with Kate del Castillo. Mexican telenovelas are great for learning Spanish, but I do think Colombian telenovelas are usually much more entertaining. I liked "Sin Tetas No Hay Paraíso" ( ;D ) and I have just finished watching "El Patrón del Mal" about Pablo Escobar which is GREAT (better than "Narcos"). Not recommended for people who are just getting started with Spanish though, far too much slang and hard to understand accents (unless you watch them with subtitles of course).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:02:40 AM by Gavan »

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2016, 05:54:56 AM »

2-6 weeks vacation at a time--Damn Whitey, can you sponsor me for Canadian Citizenship  :D
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:43 PM »

I liked "Sin Tetas No Hay Paraíso" ( ;D )

I like that show, so dramatic! I have it playing in the background while I work. I also have been watching it (listening) while watching the translation script in Spanish.

Thanks.

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »

Telenovela Teresa: As a matter a fact it's on Netflix now with English subtitles if you're interested. Best thing about Teresa is regardless of the plot, the eye candy will definintely keep your attention.

Not having a lot of time until you get to where you're going is the good thing. The only true way to become fluent is complete immersion. Best of luck and keep at it. Learning another language not only allows you to communicate with people in foreign lands, but it opens you up to entire new cultures. Food, music, art, cinema...all will be at your fingertips. Enjoy.

Awesome I will check out Teresa. I totally agree that language skills enriches your life. Spanish is great because it has a lot of reach--- You can go so many places and communicate with the people. It can also work as a foundation for other romance languages.

Offline whitey

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »

2-6 weeks vacation at a time--Damn Whitey, can you sponsor me for Canadian Citizenship  :D

Hi KB ... it's not all as rosy as that up here, unless you're a teacher (I'm not).  I get 4 weeks paid vacation plus statutory holidays.  The two 6 week trips I had were during short layoffs back in 2011.  Before that and since, the trips have been about 2 weeks each.

You could apply for refugee status if you are Syrian - Prime Minister Selfie Kardashian would probably meet you at the airport with a big hug ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
Canuks? I thought the Kardashians were Americans.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:19 AM »
Mikey,If you are looking for a hot intellectual girl in Colombia you will have a hard time finding that. ..

If you have a LOT a LOt of patience, you can find one that is educated and teach her.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2016, 07:10:52 AM »

Probably a contractor. You might get 6 weeks only if you work for a company like 30 years.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2016, 07:28:59 AM »

Hi KB ... it's not all as rosy as that up here, unless you're a teacher (I'm not).  I get 4 weeks paid vacation plus statutory holidays.  The two 6 week trips I had were during short layoffs back in 2011.  Before that and since, the trips have been about 2 weeks each.

You could apply for refugee status if you are Syrian - Prime Minister Selfie Kardashian would probably meet you at the airport with a big hug ...

I hear ya Whitey. I was just kidding. Luckily I am self Employed and can take off whenever I want to. We don't really travel to Ecuador anymore .My wife and her family prefer the tropics like the DR.
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2016, 07:28:59 AM »

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
I changed my mind again. I'm going to Medellin or the Envigado area to learn Spanish. I've found some really well reviewed language schools in that area, some offering immersion. I checked out Guatemala but the standard of living, even in the nice areas around Antigua aren't as nice as Medellin and it's suburbs, it seems to have more of a true Third World vibe without enough eye candy or other things to make it worthwhile. For where I would rent it wouldn't have even been all that much cheaper. 

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »
I changed my mind again. I'm going to Medellin or the Envigado area to learn Spanish. I've found some really well reviewed language schools in that area, some offering immersion. I checked out Guatemala but the standard of living, even in the nice areas around Antigua aren't as nice as Medellin and it's suburbs, it seems to have more of a true Third World vibe without enough eye candy or other things to make it worthwhile. For where I would rent it wouldn't have even been all that much cheaper.

Nobody goes to Guatemala for the women. Now I will have Awesome chiming in here that he could get a smoking hot Mayan babe as wide around as she is high :-)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345