It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Will Be in Medellin For 30 Days--  (Read 27251 times)

Offline Gavan

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Will Be in Medellin For 30 Days--
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »
http://www.fairplay-peru.org/en

This language school seems very interesting, it is also a lot more expensive than some of the others, but the location might make it worthwhile. I do like that they do create ongoing learning and pre-visit learning classes available via web. Something that I've been wanting to do via italki but their costs are good, they have a good structure for the online lessons, and I won't just pick/bookmark the cute instructors like have done with italki!

Once my Spanish is good, I might go chasing wives, GFs and playthings like the rest of you! I'm only have way kidding.

Here is another Spanish school in Peru (Lima) that is pretty well known:

http://elsol.idiomasperu.com/

I don't have any personal experience with this school myself so I don't know if it is any good but I know that it is popular among expats in Lima.

Here is a short video that shows what it is like:

El Sol Language School in Lima
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:18:36 AM by Gavan »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »

Here is another Spanish school in Peru (Lima) that is pretty well known:

http://elsol.idiomasperu.com/

I don't have any personal experience with this school myself so I don't know if it is any good but I know that it is popular among expats in Lima.

Here is a short video that shows what it is like:

El Sol Language School in Lima

El Sol is the one I went to back in 2005 or so I think. It was $1000 US for a week back then, and definitely not for beginners.

Antigua Guatemaal is definitely the best place for Spanish Language instruction.

Offline Mikey_Travels

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the links!

Why is Antigua the best place? Price?

El SOl seems fairly affordable once you apply the currency conversion:

Intensive course/ 20 hours a week/ 4 weeks  = $879 USD

Antiguena Spanish Academy (Antigua, Guatemala) is especially affordable-- Basically around $100-$140/week depending on the hours you choose. 

I could stay in Guatemala for 6 months learning Spanish without hurting the wallet!

*The problem with Guatemala is that the time I want to travel is during hurricane season.

How transferable will my Spanish be to the rest of Latin America? Will I easily pickup a different accent as I go to other countries?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »
How transferable will my Spanish be to the rest of Latin America? Will I easily pickup a different accent as I go to other countries?

I don't think it matters THAT much where you learn it. The basics are the same everywhere. However I do believe that certain countries have accents that are much easier to understand than others.

I learned Spanish in Mexico and Peru and I understand all Spanish as long as it doesn't have too many weird slang words.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the links!

Why is Antigua the best place? Price?

El SOl seems fairly affordable once you apply the currency conversion:

Intensive course/ 20 hours a week/ 4 weeks  = $879 USD

Antiguena Spanish Academy (Antigua, Guatemala) is especially affordable-- Basically around $100-$140/week depending on the hours you choose. 

I could stay in Guatemala for 6 months learning Spanish without hurting the wallet!

*The problem with Guatemala is that the time I want to travel is during hurricane season.

I hate to burst your bubble but you are going to sound like a gringo and have a gringo accent no matter where you learn Spanish. I have been speaking nothing but Spanish with my wife for 13 years and I am basically fluent in Spanish but I still speak like a gringo. OTOH, French which I learned as a child and can barely remember, I have the accent of a native Quebecois which I am.

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »
I used a company called Amerispan years ago and did a home stay with a doctor and his family while attending classes in Panama City. They were very gracious and it was a good experience. One thing I will say though is that if you're really going to get into the Latin American experience you'll have to give way on the "personal space" thing.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:35 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble but you are going to sound like a gringo and have a gringo accent no matter where you learn Spanish. I have been speaking nothing but Spanish with my wife for 13 years and I am basically fluent in Spanish but I still speak like a gringo. OTOH, French which I learned as a child and can barely remember, I have the accent of a native Quebecois which I am.

Oh, I don't mind sounding like a gringo, or looking like a gringo negro, being different-- I just want to understand others and be understood as well.

The school in Antigua does have some advantages with work and I've found a really nice coworking hub to work from with what seems to be a really good digital freelancer/nomad community, even though I will try not to speak English to anyone no matter which school I choose.

For someone who was set on going to Medellin, I don't think I really like the average Paisa woman, at least from what I've seen only they seem a bit too white to me. Don't get me wrong, I like white girls, I like all girls but when it comes to Latina's I typically like more 'dark' white-yellow-olive to tan skin, almond eye, dark hair look--- More 'Pocahontas' than Euro looking. Although I know 3 women from Medellin and 1 from Cali who have that look---   Where are those women?

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
One thing I will say though is that if you're really going to get into the Latin American experience you'll have to give way on the "personal space" thing.

That is one thing that scares me about the Latin American experience, especially if I make friends or get romantically involved.

My culture isn't as 'clingy' as Latin culture appears to be. Even the physical proxemics of personal space and verbal communication is a lot wider in American culture than most places in the world.

Is the goal of multi-cultural exchange to become more like the host nation or to find a happy medium?

I once had this Mexican girl I worked with tell me that I could never fit in with her family because I was too private and fake friendly!!!!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:38:44 PM by Mikey_Travels »

Offline mambocowboy

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »
That is one thing that scares me about the Latin American experience, especially if I make friends or get romantically involved.

My culture isn't as 'clingy' as Latin culture appears to be. Even the physical proxemics of personal space and verbal communication is a lot wider in American culture than most places in the world.

Is the goal of multi-cultural exchange to become more like the host nation or to find a happy medium?

I once had this Mexican girl I worked with tell me that I could never fit in with her family because I was too private and fake friendly!!!!
Mikey there is a medium but remember your personal space mentality is not compatible with Latino culture so you will have to adapt if you get married, but marriage is not for everyone....

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2016, 08:17:40 PM »
Mikey there is a medium but remember your personal space mentality is not compatible with Latino culture so you will have to adapt if you get married, but marriage is not for everyone....

Would I be marrying her family as well? I was just reading more about personal space in diff' cultures and one article said that it is rude to back up from a close talking person in Latin American countries.

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »
Just to back up Mikey's OP and for those of you who may be interested, Medellin is fast becoming one of the world hot spots for digital nomads/location independent entrepreneurs.

The Medellin Entrepreneurs Society group on Facebook has 4,500 members, there are co-working spots,  apartment rentals, and other business sprouting up that target this group, mostly in Poblado.

Chiang Mai is probably the number 1 or 2 spot in the world right now for this, as it has the infrastructure and is dirt cheap ... but Medellin is enjoying some cachet right now among those who like a little spice of danger and latin culture ... as well as great weather.

Yet another reason to stay the heck away from Poblado ... ;)

I don't know why a few computer geeks would make someone want to "stay the heck away from Poblado".  Most of the them don't even stay in Poblado, they stay in cheaper parts of the city.  The one and only reason I can think of to stay away from Poblado is that it's the most expensive area of Medellin.  But for those who aren't on a tight budget, Poblado is an awesome to place to live and hang out.

The computer geeks I know in Medellin don't get out very much and when they do they're pretty low key.  The gringos that people find annoying are the throngs of backpackers and the obvious sex tourists.  Even these groups are very minor and far less annoying than what you read about on the internet.  It was funny a while back there was an article about paisas complaining about some of the hippy backpackers walking around Medellin barefoot like they're at the beach.  Most of the paisas I meet are mystified as to why so many gringos want to visit their city.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2016, 08:43:04 PM »
Would I be marrying her family as well? I was just reading more about personal space in diff' cultures and one article said that it is rude to back up from a close talking person in Latin American countries.

I wouldn't read too much into this "personal space" stuff.  It's not a big deal.  If you want your own space, rent a place all to yourself, problem solved.  Other than that yes latinos are generally more affectionate than gringos.  Men usually hug each other alot as a greeting and you have to do the fake kiss on the cheek thing when greeting women.  Nothing major, it might just feel a little awkward until you get used to it.

And if you're looking to study spanish there are language schools and plenty of private spanish tutors available in Medellin.

And don't worry about not finding dark skinned women in Medellin, there are plenty of them as well as plenty of beautiful black and mixed women.  There are upscale nightclubs where the crowd is predominantly black people on certain nights and filled with more beautiful women than you could ever hope to meet.  You're only one guy so it's not like you're trying to date a different chick for every day of the month.  And you're not some desperate guy who's traveling to Colombia for the sole purpose of dating women, so you'll be perfectly fine.

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
Yeah I would imagine that location independent digital workers and business owners would probably be the ideal tourist. Most people I know who live that lifestyle aren't as exploitative to their host country as a sex tourist or the backpacker set. The independent worker definitely doesn't degrade the social fiber of a city, if anything, when they build relationships with locals they have an opportunity to really create something that the city/country will be proud of.

If only these smaller countries new that the internet is the greatest socio-economic equalizer that the world has ever seen... I know ppl in really tiny poor nations who are able to live really well in their home country just because they can write in English and soft technical skills that they use to compete in the open marketplace, known as the internet. The ones with more hard technical skills do even better.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2016, 08:58:44 PM »

And if you're looking to study spanish there are language schools and plenty of private spanish tutors available in Medellin.

I think that I'm going to do the language school in either Antigua or Peru and then every 4 wks or so take a week off and head to Colombia.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
Even when Bernard is in Cali I have a feeling he imports Paisas from time to time.

This chick was recently in Cali and I know she is a Facebook friend of his and it isn't too far of a stretch to think he ordered out....seeing how this is the exact type of chick that he goes crazy for.

https://www.facebook.com/yojanabet.bett?fref=ts

Do you really think bernard would have to import a black girl(and well known prepago) to Cali, a city chock full of beautiful black chicks?  Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when you could easily find plenty of better looking girls already in Cali.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:27:26 PM by Awesome »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2016, 09:30:33 PM »

Do you really think bernard would have to import a black girl(and well known prepago) to Cali, a city chock full of beautiful black chicks?  Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when you could easily find plenty of better looking girls already in Cali.

Actually I think he is some what lazy when it comes to picking up women......I don't think he has to do anything......but I believe he would fly that girl in to cali if he felt like it ....with no problem at all.....someone did even if it wasn't him

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »
I don't have to deal much with my since they live in Colombia. I enjoy being around them but definitely wouldn't want to share a living space with them. My wife has a huge extended family too and her culture is to always help family members in need. That's why you have 40 year old Colombians living with their parents. They don't value independence the way we do...

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »
Oh, I don't mind sounding like a gringo, or looking like a gringo negro, being different-- I just want to understand others and be understood as well.

The school in Antigua does have some advantages with work and I've found a really nice coworking hub to work from with what seems to be a really good digital freelancer/nomad community, even though I will try not to speak English to anyone no matter which school I choose.

For someone who was set on going to Medellin, I don't think I really like the average Paisa woman, at least from what I've seen only they seem a bit too white to me. Don't get me wrong, I like white girls, I like all girls but when it comes to Latina's I typically like more 'dark' white-yellow-olive to tan skin, almond eye, dark hair look--- More 'Pocahontas' than Euro looking. Although I know 3 women from Medellin and 1 from Cali who have that look---   Where are those women?
Mikey if you like darker women as I do try Cali and Barranquilla...

Offline Gavan

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2016, 04:50:28 AM »

I am sure you can find plenty of them in Colombia too, but if you prefer mixed race ("mestiza") women with a slightly more "indigenous" look Peru would be the perfect place to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VgJEBLKmk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:05:23 AM by Gavan »

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »
Mikey if you like darker women as I do try Cali and Barranquilla...

Barranquilla is definitely on my list.

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2016, 06:49:35 AM »

I am sure you can find plenty of them in Colombia too, but if you prefer mixed race ("mestiza") women with a slightly more "indigenous" look Peru would be the perfect place to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VgJEBLKmk

Yes! I really like those women.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »
Yes! I really like those women.

You have good taste my friend  ;)

;D

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
Look how we have evolved this discussion or at least my preferences.

(1) Are most of the women that gringos get uneducated, low class not just in income but in perspective?

(2) Do most of the women have kids?

(3) Are they all party? That is a conclusion that is very easy to draw when only having information from foreign men who come for sex and marriage.
(4) Promiscuous?

(5) What type of world view do they have?

(6) Are they intellectually boring? Cute women with bird brains?

(7) For guys who want wives or have wives, do you just stash your Colombian wife in your house and pretend like it is 1950 and turn her into a housewife?

(8.) Why marriage? Almost seems antiquated, too risky and like a trap! I saw this show where this guy had girlfriends stashed all over the world. He had kids with some of them! That sounds better for the traveling man.

(9) Can women from Colombia and other SA countries fly and get VISAs in just about any other nation in SA and Asia. I have no intentions of being stuck in just one country so if I meet a woman it would be cool if she could travel.

(10) Are the best women in these countries not interested in foreigners because they already have a good thing going.

I think my new goals are: (1) Spanish immersion school (2) Then get immersed in a city that isn't all party and BS (3) Find a sexy travel companion who won't bore me and who is down to see the world.   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:09:38 AM by Mikey_Travels »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »
Look how we have evolved this discussion or at least my preferences.

(1) Are most of the women that gringos get uneducated, low class not just in income but in perspective?

(2) Do most of the women have kids?

(3) Are they all party? That is a conclusion that is very easy to draw when only having information from foreign men who come for sex and marriage.
(4) Promiscuous?

(5) What type of world view do they have?

(6) Are they intellectually boring? Cute women with bird brains?

(7) For guys who want wives or have wives, do you just stash your Colombian wife in your house and pretend like it is 1950 and turn her into a housewife?

(8.) Why marriage? Almost seems antiquated, too risky and like a trap! I saw this show where this guy had girlfriends stashed all over the world. He had kids with some of them! That sounds better for the traveling man.

(9) Can women from Colombia and other SA countries fly and get VISAs in just about any other nation in SA and Asia. I have no intentions of being stuck in just one country so if I meet a woman it would be cool if she could travel.

(10) Are the best women in these countries not interested in foreigners because they already have a good thing going.

I think my new goals are: (1) Spanish immersion school (2) Then get immersed in a city that isn't all party and BS (3) Find a sexy travel companion who won't bore me and who is down to see the world.

I think I will skip this forum for a while. Like asking a group of 20 people 10 differnt questions about politics or something.

Gets kinda old. And everybody has their own opinion. Could go on for days ad nauseum.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2016, 07:43:37 AM »

For most of these questions the answer is probably "it depends".  :D  I will answer this one:

People from South-American countries can travel freely to others in the region (only SA, not all of Latin America), even without a passport (all they need is a "DNI" (identity card)).

http://diariocorreo.pe/miscelanea/estos-son-los-nueve-paises-a-los-que-puedes-viajar-solo-con-dni-y-sin-pasaporte-629129/

Colombians and Peruvians can now also travel to Western-Europe (Shengen countries) without a visa. Don't really know about Asia.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:57:12 AM by Gavan »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864