It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Salsa Dance  (Read 14470 times)

Gato4Astrid

Salsa Dance
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
How many of you who have been to Colombia and have taken, or are thinking about learning how to Salsa? 

How did it go?  Are you still doing it, or have given up?

Since my trip to Argentina, I have been thinking of taking up Tango classes?   I am now closer in starting one.   Before you think, how do deaf people hear the music, so on.   There had been deaf people doing Tango classes in my area, from what I've been told.    Did you know that US TV show ' Dancing with the Stars' (Spring 2016) was won by a deaf man, Nyle diMarco?   I would like to do that challenge, but I am not expecting to be the next Nyle diMarco though.

Offline Rschnb67

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Salsa Dance
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:22:55 AM »
Ha ha funny topic as a matter of fact my girl wants me to learn salsa so I took two lessons from two different studios each one was complementary they both wanted close to $60 for 45 minute lessons. So I decided to just watch on YouTube and hopefully learn that way tango looks very very difficult   I have two left feet so not so sure how my dancing will work out great topic!!!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
Ha ha funny topic as a matter of fact my girl wants me to learn salsa so I took two lessons from two different studios each one was complementary they both wanted close to $60 for 45 minute lessons. So I decided to just watch on YouTube and hopefully learn that way tango looks very very difficult   I have two left feet so not so sure how my dancing will work out great topic!!!

You need a dancing partner to get good at either. Dancing isn't making a Thanksgiving Turkey. It's not something you're going to pick up from watching a video.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »
How many of you who have been to Colombia and have taken, or are thinking about learning how to Salsa? 

How did it go?  Are you still doing it, or have given up?

Since my trip to Argentina, I have been thinking of taking up Tango classes?   I am now closer in starting one.   Before you think, how do deaf people hear the music, so on.   There had been deaf people doing Tango classes in my area, from what I've been told.    Did you know that US TV show ' Dancing with the Stars' (Spring 2016) was won by a deaf man, Nyle diMarco?   I would like to do that challenge, but I am not expecting to be the next Nyle diMarco though.
I think you dancing would be a great asset in attracting women, especially as a deaf man. Go for it!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »
Why always salsa? My wife hates salsa and will only dance merengue or bachata.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
I used to work at a place where they had member of the board of directors who was legally blind. The guy had a lot of moxy for sure, because he wasn't going to let something like legal blindness (20/200 or worse and/or a peripheral field restriction down to 20 degrees) stop HIM from driving.

Once a month, like clockwork, he'd drive himself, find a parking place and opening the car's glovebox, pull his white and red folding cane out, snap it open and find his way into the building and to the board room.

He was probably a decent dancer.  I liked him better than the multimillionaire Dr. --- Who after voting down our $25 Christmas bonus, left the meeting in a hurry, got into his Ferrari and promptly backed  into a telephone pole in the same parking lot.

We all have so called 'handicaps' in one way or another, it's what we make of them and of ourselves that's more important, including learning from our mistakes.

As that mean bastard Henry Ford said: (actually the frame of thought goes back thousands of years back into India's culture)

"Whether you think you can or think you can't---you're right"
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
I have been dancing salsa off and on since 2009 when I first starting taking lessons in the U.S.A. I am definitely not a natural so if I can do it so can anyone.

That said, I was patient and persistent as it was something I really wanted to learn. I think it took a good 2 to 3 months of attending a class on a regular basis (at least one or two times a week) to just get comfortable with it. Basically what Benjio said, you have to do it to learn it.

Lastly, the style of salsa danced in North America is a bit different than the style in Colombia. When I went to Cali in 2013 I met a Calena who loved dancing salsa. We found a way to make the two styles work together on the dance floor. 

I have never taken a Salsa or Dance lesson in Colombia or any other country except the US for that matter. IF I had more time in country I would be up for trying lessons in Colombia, etc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:05:08 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:14:52 PM »
I have been taking classses continuosly for years..recently 2 times a week for an hour (when I am not travelling) ...both Salas y Bachata

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 05:12:01 PM »
Bachata is very sensual so the ladies love it. It's popular in alot of places but hasn't caught on yet in some places like Barranquilla where my wife is from.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »

I agree

My wife hates Salsa. We dance Merengue and Bachata and being from the South, I taught my wife how to Shag.
We go to Ocean Drive SC and Shag several times a year. I love a style of dance that you can dance and still hold a beer in the other hand. :P
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »
I agree

My wife hates Salsa. We dance Merengue and Bachata and being from the South, I taught my wife how to Shag.
We go to Ocean Drive SC and Shag several times a year. I love a style of dance that you can dance and still hold a beer in the other hand. :P
I'm curious why any latina would "hate" salsa? Is it the music? The dance is too fast?

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 01:50:58 AM »
When I was at secondary school, boarding school for the boys.  Every year, we had Christmas party, and the school invited 'hearing' school for the girls locally - actually a covert school (lol), and we had ballroom dancing.   We had to learn how to dance beforehand, and I did very well though, so I believe I can do it in tango - easier than Salsa obviously.

Offline Kiltboy1

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
I'm curious why any latina would "hate" salsa? Is it the music? The dance is too fast?

Maybe a little of both. Salsa is not popular in Ecuador so my wife did not grow up dancing nor listening to Salsa.She grew up on Pop and Techno music. It also requires practice to do the moves well as opposed to say Merengue where it is all about the feel of the music.

Viva Ecuador !

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »
Maybe a little of both. Salsa is not popular in Ecuador so my wife did not grow up dancing nor listening to Salsa.She grew up on Pop and Techno music. It also requires practice to do the moves well as opposed to say Merengue where it is all about the feel of the music.

Some Colombianas think the only ones who can dance Salsa is  Colombians..including other Salsa dancing countries  Puerta Ricans, Cubans, etc...nly Colombians dance Salsa well

Offline Kiltboy1

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 09:40:53 AM »

Some Colombianas think the only ones who can dance Salsa is  Colombians..including other Salsa dancing countries  Puerta Ricans, Cubans, etc...nly Colombians dance Salsa well

If I remember correctly Salsa was invented in NYC by Puerto Ricans, so really Colombians should realize that only PR Americans can truely dance salsa. LOL

Viva Ecuador !

Offline Kiltboy1

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
If I remember correctly Salsa was invented in NYC by Puerto Ricans, so really Colombians should realize that only PR Americans can truely dance salsa. LOL

Or maybe was Cubans in NYC, but either way--Not Colombians.

Viva Ecuador !

Offline Gavan

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »

Well, as far as I know salsa is at least somewhat popular pretty much everywhere in Latin America, but of course not everyone listens to it or likes dancing to it. Here is some Ecuadorian salsa. I am pretty sure they played salsa in the discos I visited in Guayaquil. They definitely do in Peruvian discos, although cumbia (Peruvian style) is more popular there. Of course salsa is much bigger in Colombia than in most of its neighboring countries that is true. Venezuela also has some very famous "salseros" though, like this guy (one of my favorites):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So91SDCSPVU

Merengue can be just as complex as salsa if you take it seriously.

Or maybe was Cubans in NYC, but either way--Not Colombians.

Yes, salsa was invented by Cubans and "Boricuas" (Puerto Ricans) in New York. I have seen Colombians get angry at Peruvians in Youtube comments for ripping of "their" cumbia but they did exactly the same thing with salsa and reggaeton  ;D .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:28:49 AM by Gavan »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »

Yes, salsa was invented by Cubans and "Boricuas" (Puerto Ricans) in New York.

Yep, you and KB are correct about NYC being the birthplace of Salsa.

Of course, hard to imagine a place where Salsa is more popular than Colombia. One of the reasons I liked Cali so much was how widespread the love of Salsa is in that city. Salsa is increasingly "old people" music here in the U.S. Not as big with the younger Latinas...

Though I agree it is nice to mix it up with the other styles mentioned above: bachata, merengue, etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:46:10 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
Of course, hard to imagine a place where Salsa is more popular than Colombia. One of the reasons I liked Cali so much was how widespread the love of Salsa is in that city. Salsa is increasingly "old people" music here in the U.S. Not as big with the younger Latinas...

Yeah electronic music like reggaeton is taking over with the younger generations of latinos, especially Colombian reggaeton (J Balvin, Maluma, Nicky Jam, etc.).

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music

Cultural origins
1970sNew York Cityimmigrant communities from Cuba and Puerto Rico

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_(dance)

Salsa is a popular form of social dance that originated in New York City with strong influences from Latin America, particularly Puerto Rico and Cuba. The movements of salsa have origins in Cuban Son, Cha-cha-cha, Mambo and other dance forms, and the dance, along with the salsa music,[1][/font][2][/font][3][/font] originated in the mid-1970s in New York.[4][/font][/size]

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:54:55 PM by Gato4Astrid »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »
I don't know that salsa is very popular in Colombia outside of Cali.  In Medellin there are only a  very few discotecas that play mostly salsa music and where people go specifically to dance salsa. 

Vallenato seems to be the most popular music of the Paisa region and pretty much all of Colombia except for Cali.  One would think that Salsa would be popular on the Coast around Barranquilla, but I don't have much knowledge in that area.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 06:46:15 PM »
I don't know that salsa is very popular in Colombia outside of Cali.  In Medellin there are only a  very few discotecas that play mostly salsa music and where people go specifically to dance salsa. 

Vallenato seems to be the most popular music of the Paisa region and pretty much all of Colombia except for Cali.  One would think that Salsa would be popular on the Coast around Barranquilla, but I don't have much knowledge in that area.
It's quite popular in BAQ. I heard in all the taxis and in stores....vallenato is popular too but I really feel salsa is a big part of the culture there. If you're ever in BAQ check out La Trojan at night

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
It's quite popular in BAQ. I heard in all the taxis and in stores....vallenato is popular too but I really feel salsa is a big part of the culture there. If you're ever in BAQ check out La Troja (spelling corrected for La Troja) at night

Yup... salsa music in Colombia is kinda unavoidable.  Every region will have their own flavor or spin on the dancing, but the music is universal.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »

Offline Awesome

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
Yup... salsa music in Colombia is kinda unavoidable.  Every region will have their own flavor or spin on the dancing, but the music is universal.

So have you been to every region in Colombia?

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »

So have you been to every region in Colombia?

Lol... no, Awesome, I don't think I'm as well traveled as you and some others on the site ;-) 

But I am aware that people dance salsa differently in different regions. 

Maybe it would have been more accurate to say "Different regions" rather than "Every region".

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467