It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Odds for success  (Read 720 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Odds for success
« on: May 29, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
After my wife and I celebrated  our 16th wedding anniversary last winter, a gal who went thru the whole fiancee visa, come to USA, get married scenario with my wife commented: "Congratulations, I'm happy for you, but out of all our "batchmates" who passed thru embassy approval, you're  the only couple still together." I think that was 15, maybe 20 couples. Damn, that made me think!!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Odds for success
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »
After my wife and I celebrated  our 16th wedding anniversary last winter, a gal who went thru the whole fiancee visa, come to USA, get married scenario with my wife commented: "Congratulations, I'm happy for you, but out of all our "batchmates" who passed thru embassy approval, you're  the only couple still together." I think that was 15, maybe 20 couples. Damn, that made me think!!

I think it depends on what your definition of success is.

I have married and divorced three colombian women.

But I don't think I would have been happier never having gone to Colombia.

Plenty of guys would be down right miserable in your shoes....or mine for that matter.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
You're right. Nothing in life seems to be "one size fits all" and forever doesn't seem to be what it used to be either. For every time I might have jabbed members here, I'll admit I had thoughts like  "My, wouldn't THAT be fun!!" and  "Hmmm, I'd  have liked to have been a fly on the wall with that one" Playing it safe is "really" full on vicarious fun, but living in a "safe zone" all your life sort of ends up  with your life reading like a piece of white bread.

Somewhere between the safe and the danger zones are lives enriched. My most vivid memories are of unusual  events,  women and places and you can't  edit them and just as well. If I had to, I'd  pull some plays out of my old  "play book" again and try and adjust to the newer ones. Life throws curves, sinkers, fast balls and knuckle balls, but you gotta really watch the curves and adjust accordingly.

Life in the USA, the media here and more, seemingly wants to neuter men. At least my wife doesn't buy into all that B.S. Her media preferences, especially music, are 99% from her culture, as well as Korean soap operas. It's  not interesting to me, but it gives me ample time to do 'my' things.

Still she can't 'unsee' that always lighted highway billboard prompting women to call 1-800-DIVORCE....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 11:57:05 AM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 05:15:06 PM »
You're right. Nothing in life seems to be "one size fits all" and forever doesn't seem to be what it used to be either. For every time I might have jabbed members here, I'll admit I had thoughts like  "My, wouldn't THAT be fun!!" and  "Hmmm, I'd  have liked to have been a fly on the wall with that one" Playing it safe is "really" full on vicarious fun, but living in a "safe zone" all your life sort of ends up  with your life reading like a piece of white bread.

Somewhere between the safe and the danger zones are lives enriched. My most vivid memories are of unusual  events,  women and places and you can't  edit them and just as well. If I had to, I'd  pull some plays out of my old  "play book" again and try and adjust to the newer ones. Life throws curves, sinkers, fast balls and knuckle balls, but you gotta really watch the curves and adjust accordingly.

Life in the USA, the media here and more, seemingly wants to neuter men. At least my wife doesn't buy into all that B.S. Her media preferences, especially music, are 99% from her culture, as well as Korean soap operas. It's  not interesting to me, but it gives me ample time to do 'my' things.

Still she can't 'unsee' that always lighted highway billboard prompting women to call 1-800-DIVORCE....
Haha if you think divorce is marketed we'll try living  in California lol. My wife and I made it to 10 years married a few weeks back despite numerous haters. To them I salute with my big gringo middle finger....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:32:15 PM »
Haha if you think divorce is marketed we'll try living  in California lol. My wife and I made it to 10 years married a few weeks back despite numerous haters. To them I salute with my big gringo middle finger....

Seems to me there are a lot more gringo "haters" who hate Latino/Hispanic people than there are gringos who hate Asians, although the media is really into covering hate incidents-- assaults against Asians, especially Asian women lately. The 'suits' in control have to 'play nice' and act like they really care. My wife is shocked by the news coverage. But I feel that especially in the 'white collar ' corporate work environment, that Asian women maybe actually have an unfair advantage. 

Asian women, outside the service sector--food, hotels etc., are such a minority that it's 'politically correct' to embrace them, expressing sympathy and promote these 'token' Asian women. My wife's company, a Fortune 200 level medical company--told her section, the Marketing arm---that pay raises could not exceed.2%, despite inflation being 8%, probably actually higher. They gave her almost 6%. She works her ass off and they love her 'positive' personality, but I could see people thinking "unfair."

But just like in the last half of my career African American women could do no wrong and quickly moved up, while white males didn't have half a chance, I tell my wife "Oh, you're just their favorite flavor right now, it'll change before long."

Equality, "fairness" and how we view and treat those different from 'The powers that be" is a changeable thing. "All men are created equal" isn't really true to me. Even if it was, those in power would still have that self serving need to bolster their feelings of superiority by finding SOME group to piss on.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300