It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Honeymoon  (Read 4628 times)

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
Honeymoon
« on: October 04, 2009, 11:06:11 PM »
Was just going to ask if anyone knows some good spots. I've been to Hawaii and it was ok. The issue is if she'll be able to leave the United States. Plus I'll just have to see how she adapts.

I was hoping if she arrives early next year we'd be able to travel next May or June. Depending on the stability of the country my parents and I may end up going back down to Honduras for an engagement party or something. But long term I am worried about the future of the country.

So anyways I was wondering what ideas you all had or past experiences that worked out well.

On my list right now is Puerto Rico, Fort Lauderdale, U.S. Virgin islands, Myrtle Beach, wine tasting tour in the Central Valley via flight to LA, my final thought is to just drive up to interstate 90 and head through Rapid City, then to Yellowstone, and then on to Coeur d'Alene Lake. The problem with that is to avoid high rental rates we couldn't just fly out of Spokane to go home... we'd... well I'd have to drive all the way back to return the rental. I believe it is Hertz that doesn't limit the miles per day, so a week and a half later I could just bring it back with 3200 miles on it.  :D

Anyways we might not be able to leave the states, so any help or advice welcome.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Honeymoon
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
It kind of depends on what you and your fiance consider a nice, fun vacation and a romantic getaway. To my wife, driving across the northern part of the Midwest and through the Rockies would be more misery than enjoyment - I have a hard enough time to get her to drive instead of fly to Las Vegas - only 4 hours away. Plus we live in a sleepy beach resort town 50 weeks a year so it's kind of silly for us to go to a beach resort for the other two. I'd ask your fiance what kinds of places she'd find romantic.

San Francisco can be a lot of fun - Lots of things to see and do in the city, great ethnic foods of all varieties, too. Napa Valley is nearby for a few day side trip, as is the Santa Cruz/ Monterrey/ Carmel/ Big Sur area for a day or two either. Exploring North is the Mendocino coastline with redwood forests overlooking the most incredible coastline anywhere. That kind of trip might be more than you're willing to spend though.

Offline sean126

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:25:30 AM »
My wife and I put off our honeymoon....but being that she (your wife) has probably never seen anything like it I say a Disney World and Universal Studios trip is worth consideration.

You couldn't help but have fun with Disney World, Disney MGM Studios and Universal Studios.  I'm quite sure the beaches are nice in those other places.....but a beach is still a beach.  

Me and my wife plan to go next year....about 6 days.  Usually it takes 2 whole days to suck in all of Disney World itself then the other time in MGM and Universal and back to the park we liked the most.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:25:30 AM »

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
The guys I work with are pretty sold on these short cruises with the big cruise ship companies. I haven't tried one yet but sounds like a decent idea. Out of Seattle they'll hit up a couple towns, usually a few in Canada though, maybe Victoria, Nanaimo, or Vancouver. They've gotta have similar deals in other US cities...might be something to think about. Relatively inexpensive and there'd be more to do than a road trip...see a few cities...

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:51:55 AM »
To my wife, driving across the northern part of the Midwest and through the Rockies would be more misery than enjoyment

I'd ask your fiance what kinds of places she'd find romantic.

San Francisco can be a lot of fun - Lots of things to see and do in the city, great ethnic foods of all varieties, too. Napa Valley is nearby for a few day side trip, as is the Santa Cruz/ Monterrey/ Carmel/ Big Sur area for a day or two either. Exploring North is the Mendocino coastline with redwood forests overlooking the most incredible coastline anywhere. That kind of trip might be more than you're willing to spend though.

Honduras is tiny compared to driving to the northwest from the midwest. I don't mind driving that way because of the scenery. I have no idea if she'd enjoy the ride. You can go fast on 90 through South Dakota... but that is one flat boring trip. That state (until you get to the rockies) gives me a huge headache. Just billboard after billboard advertising the same weird business.

Napa Valley sounds nice. What makes that an expensive trip?

Sean126, I hear you on puting off the honeymoon. But the reason I asked about where to go is because I've already been asked. The trip is going to be a gift. I know about it. She doesn't. I think they want to surprise her or something.

Not a bad thought JM, but cruises just aren't for me. Especially after the story CNBC ran on the industry.

That PBS documentary just got me thinking. I know Disney World might be a big hit, but what could be better than Yellowstone National Park?

Offline william3rd

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »
Fiancee visas are single entry visas which are used on the initial entry. Your honeymoon, if it involves any foreign travel, including cruises with foreign ports, will have to wait until you have the advance parole in hand.
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:26:47 AM »
Fiancee visas are single entry visas which are used on the initial entry. Your honeymoon, if it involves any foreign travel, including cruises with foreign ports, will have to wait until you have the advance parole in hand.

Yep good point - plus even with Advanced Parole in hand one still has to abide by the current visa requirements for each foreign country visited. Both Canada & Mexico allow a US green card holder to visit without a visa however a K-1 recipient with Advanced Parole would still need to meet the visa requirements for both of those countries (not sure what they are for Honduran citizens).

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »
Delta Airlines has this nifty travel tool which allows you to view the visa requirements for most countries based upon the country of your citizenship and alien residence (green card holder).

https://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Yellowstone would be a nice trip, but a nice honeymoon? I dunno...

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
Yellowstone would be a nice trip, but a nice honeymoon? I dunno...

Yea I dunno either. I'm trying to keep in mind she's never been out of Central America and seeing the USA might be a big deal to her... while to your average AW bad idea for a trip.

The talk was a day at Rapid City. 2 days at Yellowstone. And 6 or 7 days at the resort in Coeur d'Alene. They rent Cobalt boats too. Lots of shopping, spa, lakeside tower view, fine dining etc.

http://www.cdaresort.com/

Not something I was really thinking about until the parents and other close relatives brought it up. Actually they assumed the trip would be right away, but that's definitely not happening.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
Well bcc,

As william mentioned, the advanced parole may keep your woman in the states.  I've put off the honeymoon until early next year when we can travel to foreign ports.  So yes, I think a cruise is a good option. Have you talked with your woman about what types of honeymoons she would like?  Of course she will probably go along with whatever you say, but you might be surprised at what she finds to be fun.

Normally I'd say nothing too extravagant is necessary as dollars have better value elsewhere, but if it is a gift and money is not a big factor then I guess you might as well live it up more than necessary.  From past experience I'd say that a honeymoon for longer than 7 days is too much, but that also varies from person to person.  I've always enjoyed the 'breakfast in bed' option that Las Vegas room service offers a person, and ladies seem to absolutely enjoy it also.  

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 07:23:51 AM »
Napa Valley sounds nice. What makes that an expensive trip?

Well, the prices. I guess you could stay in a cheap motel ($100 or so) and eat junk-food, but most of the places are pretty elegant and it's easy to spend $250+ on a room, $50-$100 on lunch, and $100-$200 on dinner for two there to do it right. The wine train dinner is $100 per person. It's like city prices out in the country.

Just as fun and a whole lot more economical is the Central Coastal area. The wineries in Santa Barbara and Sal Luis Obispo counties are just as nice, the countryside just as beautiful, and there are plenty of great places to see from Hearst Castle to Santa Barbara downtown - Point Sal to Solvang. Morro Bay to Cold Springs Tavern (an 1800s stagecoach stop now famous watering hole.) Ever see the movie "Sideways?" Hotels and meals are far less $.

PM sent.

- Jeff

Offline Bear

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »
I planned way too much of our honeymoon.  I wish I had stepped bacck and let Honey do it.  See was she is interested in and her ability to plan.  She did awesome on the wedding, probably would have on the honeymoon also.

The Bear Family

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »
You really need to know your woman before making any decisions, so the idea of delaying a honeymoon might not be as bad as it seems at first.  For example, for me and my missus, a Disney World trip would be a waste of time and money since she really doesn't care for roller coasters, and that'd be the only reason I'd want to go.  Wine tours are of limited value since she has a 1/2-glass tolerance limit.  She prefers museums, botanical gardens, and nature scenes with easy access (no hiking, no driving more than a few hours).

So what does your girl really like to do for relaxation and/or recreation?  If you want to keep her in a frisky mood, a road trip to see a trebushet might not be the thing to do.  ;) ;D
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
My wife planned our honeymoon too. We spent it at an onsen-ryokan in Izukogen: http://www.japanican.com/hotels/ShisetsuDetail.aspx?st=4339013

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:23:26 AM »

So what does your girl really like to do for relaxation and/or recreation? 

Go to the beach. Lay out... kick the soccer ball/futbol around.

Don't believe she has ever been on a rollercoaster. She does like nature, but has only seen Central America. No 1/2 glass limit to worry about.

The honeymoon gift was supposed to be for right after we get hitched. I already told them that was a bad idea and it needed to be put off at least a few months.

My first inclination was to score free tickets and a hotel to Reykjavik, but having thought more on the subject I realized a trip in country would probably appeal to her.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »
The honeymoon gift was supposed to be for right after we get hitched. I already told them that was a bad idea and it needed to be put off at least a few months.

That is good you've handled it, because assuming 'they' is a parental unit, they can give a gift but should not dictate any terms.  Of course that holds for any other aspect 'they' may choose to involve themselves in.  Most women will not be happy if their man is in anybody elses pocket.
Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »
That is good you've handled it, because assuming 'they' is a parental unit, they can give a gift but should not dictate any terms.  Of course that holds for any other aspect 'they' may choose to involve themselves in.  Most women will not be happy if their man is in anybody elses pocket.
Fathertime!

Sounds like the family is just fishing for gift ideas (she's in Honduras... not registered at Macys or whatever lol). And it was their assumption that a honeymoon would come directly after a wedding (which would normally be the case). I'm 25 and am getting married to a Honduran woman. If anyone was trying to control me... I'd say they did a horrible job.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 70