It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 8528 times)

Offline jvoorhees

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Facebook
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Old timers like us are stuck in our ways, but if you were to start a new Planet-Love type special interest forum, it would catch on a lot faster and be more usable as a facebook group than as a forum like this.

Hmm.  I am not sure.  One thing I like about different Forums is the ability to have different anonymous accounts.  For people who want to participate in discussions without letting every friend, relative, and long lost aquaintences know everything you are thinking and doing.

I suppose you could have multiple Facebook accounts to achieve the same thing.

Or maybe I am just an old fashion 1800's prospector trapped in a 34 year old body.  I still say Dagnabbit and Tarnation!

Offline jvoorhees

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
I don't know why people rag on facebook so much...i think it is a great site...i've run across people from my past that i would have never seen again if it weren't for facebook.  i. 
Fathertime!

Sorry.  Not meaning to bash Facebook.  I don't hate the site.  It has its value.  I am just don't think its the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I mean come on man.  Bread with slices.  Now that is cool.

Offline chameleon

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

Interesting perspective.  But I tend to disagree.

I am 34 and working in software development.  So I am no stranger to computers.  But for the lie of me I just don't understand facebook at all.  I have zero interest in it.  Never had a Facebook account.  I may get one if I am lucky enough to date a Colombian woman and she has one as a way to stay in touch.

But to me, Facebooks is a one way conversation.  You talk about yourself and your friends can read it.  And from my experience of watching others, all Facebook is good at is stirring up drama.

But each to their own.

+1

Facebook is a colossal waste of time. I personally don't use it except to meet up with old friends when I/they're in town.

And I never add girlfriends. Even if I did, I wouldn't add a foreign latina as my SO until the point that we were actually married. I just wouldn't want to deal with all the questions from people that I frankly don't give a [snip] about. I'd probably just leave my status as single up until the point I was married. That wouldn't mean i was still dating.

I suspect that some of these women have been lead on before and had promises made that were never fulfilled. They're probably loathe to announce their status until they know for sure.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »
I am the kind of person that values privacy very much and that was the reason I was not interested in facebook at first, but then I realized that it is my choice to share whatever I want to share, just like it is others, so needless to say I don't have hundreds of pictures and update my status whenever I yawn, I also "clean" my friend list every now and then, if it's someone I haven't been in touch for a while (this doesn't apply to family of course) and don't accept random requests; people giving me access to their pictures do it because they want to and I don't feel guilty for taking a look when I am bored to see what my family is up to. I now have a big part of my family in there and got back in touch with some old classmates.

As for having or not having an account, it's really a choice, no red flag at all, the problem is when they do have an account and lie about it or if they are listed as single after you are actually in a relationship, it is normal if the status is not changed right away, but at some point I would expect and mention this to my SO if it doesn't happen.

@begin: forgive me but I can't help to notice you scare off women by asking too much of them before meeting, I know you mean well, but your approach sends the message that you want an online relationship, that won't work for someone that wants a real relationship my friend.

What is really nice is that you can still share your pictures folders even if the other person doesn't have an account by using the link at the bottom, I use that when I want to share something without the need to add someone as a friend or when they don't have an account.

PS. I agree with the drama, but that only happens if you let it, I have a male cousin that married this really complicated and jealous woman, he decided to open a facebook account because he is working outside the country and heard about lots of family being there, his wife has alienated him a bit from family and oh surprise, she opened an account and started tagging pictures like crazy of her and him with "my husband" as title and he only tagged young attractive women (as myself of course :P ) to the picture... most of them blood relatives... I don't know how things work in her family but that sure is creepy, not letting her anywhere near my account. I just reject her friend requests and untag myself from her family pictures. I wish my poor cousin would get a break and would love to get in touch with his daughters, but they are young so it's probably just the crazy mom using their accounts.

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
IV your assessment of me is right. I was flat out wrong. I asked too much of her too early in this relationship.
In fact I am wondering why my ladyfriend still even still chats with me. But she does and things could not be better between us because I warned her quickly enough about the 'hacking' of her account for her to take some action. And she told her mother about the incident and her mother thinks I did the right thing. We have grown closer to each other as a result. We now even have video chats when we can. And she is willing, for now, to have an on-line realtionship with me as long as I visit her as soon as I possibly can.   
So in a way, this whole Facebook thing turned out to be an eye-opener and something of a good thing for both of us. It is funny how things turn out when one least expects it.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:20:22 PM by beginthebeguin »
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »

And she is willing, for now, to have an on-line realtionship with me as long as I visit here as soon as I possibly can.   

That's the case with most of these ladies. They want to see that you are serious and check you out in person as well. Begin, you definitely make the online thing work for you and that's all that counts.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
I am glad things are going well for you begin, she sounds like a very understanding lady, have to give her credit to have the common sense of not wanting to end up in a fantasy relationship online, any woman that wants a real relationship would want to avoid getting her hopes up with a guy that is never planning on showing up, of course there are a few naives ones out there that have yet to learn this, some of them will do with time, others will learn the hard way and will make it harder for them to trust someone online or wait for too long.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »

There is a girl from Jamie's site that is still active, has more than 4,000 Facebook friends, while 2 other girls from Jamie's sites, each have at least 1,000 friends!!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »
Facebook is very useful for some reasons.

Why do I have Facebook?

- To keep in touch with all my deaf friends from all over UK
- To keep in touch with my families
- To keep in touch with good friends

I do not add strangers.  Facebook isn't the place where you can add strangers or to find relationships.  If Colombianas want to find foreigners, they will advert themselves in dating site, marriage agencies and so on.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 08:51:48 AM »

There is a girl from Jamie's site that is still active, has more than 4,000 Facebook friends, while 2 other girls from Jamie's sites, each have at least 1,000 friends!!

Wow, with 4000 facebook 'friends' I guess she really is still 'active'. Maybe it makes her feel better about herself.
I remember when my older son got into some silly trouble at high school, writing "Waldo was here" on a class room black board between classes. (Waldo was his 'under cover' joke name at the school--as "where is Waldo?")
 I told him if it continued, they'd kick him out, instead of just giving him a day of janitor duty. He said " I have 400 facebook friends, with over a 100  from school alone, and they'd all protest on the front steps of the school if they tried to expel me".

I explained, and eventually he came to realize that it was true, (he didn't get kicked out) that even though they were real people at his school and his 'facebook friends' that not a one would actually dare turn out to protest--they weren't true 'friends' in that sense.

Some of the people I see through my wife's facebook links, seem to be trying to prove that "It's never too late to have a happy childhood' and some of them show and act out their worse personal dramas, blow by blow. There's a bit of everything on there, I guess.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
Wow, with 4000 facebook 'friends' I guess she really is still 'active'. Maybe it makes her feel better about herself.
I remember when my older son got into some silly trouble at high school, writing "Waldo was here" on a class room black board between classes. (Waldo was his 'under cover' joke name at the school--as "where is Waldo?")
 I told him if it continued, they'd kick him out, instead of just giving him a day of janitor duty. He said " I have 400 facebook friends, with over a 100  from school alone, and they'd all protest on the front steps of the school if they tried to expel me".

I explained, and eventually he came to realize that it was true, (he didn't get kicked out) that even though they were real people at his school and his 'facebook friends' that not a one would actually dare turn out to protest--they weren't true 'friends' in that sense.

Some of the people I see through my wife's facebook links, seem to be trying to prove that "It's never too late to have a happy childhood' and some of them show and act out their worse personal dramas, blow by blow. There's a bit of everything on there, I guess.

wow!!

My girlfriend's daughter's school friend made a bad comments against one of her friends at school.  For example.  Girl A v.  Girl B  (I do not remember their names),  and made lots of friends to vote for Girl A.  What a bully!  The Girl B's parents made a complaint against the bully girl (Girl A).   My girlfriend's daughter did not vote for either of them, but she deleted Girl A from FB because of the way she bullies to Girl B.   And she received "bully" from  Girl A because she did not vote her!!

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
Facebook isn't the place where you can add strangers or to find relationships.

While I agree with you gato, I would add the word "shouldn't" because it is used that way, you'd be surprised of how many random requests I get and me having common last names always makes me wonder if it is a long distance relative that I haven't met!

Some others are more obvious and actually add a message saying they would like to get to know me better or a nice compliment, I think it is common reaction at least for latinos to be this way when they are getting into unknown grounds, a decade ago I had to do all my homework research or look for any information I wanted on internet in english, since if I did a search in spanish I was doomed to browse for hours in websites cluttered with pop ups, ads and of course most would include at least one banner with X rated images not to mention after all that work I would end up with only a few lines of info or the general idea if I got lucky.

Now you can find quality websites and the searches actually result in content related to what you are looking for (well, kind of, most of the time), from what I can see facebook is starting to get used the way it should, but you will still find plenty of people that are there just to play farmville or a game of sorts that asks you to add "neighbors" and of course they accept any random request they get. Then again up to this day there are some people that will still flood your email address with chain letters...

It's a good thing they added limits to how many friends you can add and how often, so most of the accounts with 2k+ friends are probably pretty old

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:45 PM »

What with all the hating of Facebook? And all the Facebook drama?   ::)

The below quotes this thread concerning Facebook sums it all up:

Facebook is not a one-way conversation............. It is probably one of the most effective SEO tools you can use for a business, and as a way to connect with long lost friends and relatives, and keep up-to-date

I realized that it is my choice to share whatever I want to share

I also "clean" my friend list every now and then

As for having or not having an account, it's really a choice

I agree with the drama, but that only happens if you let it

I think the goal should be to find the type of woman that you don't have to constantly monitor, check her Facebook account, cellphone records, record house phone lines, track with GPS, etc. If I was that worried about a woman in particular and felt that she couldn't be trusted, I would move on!

If you cannot handle FB or a someone who regularly uses FB ........then just move on.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:45 PM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
" It is probably one of the most effective SEO tools you can use for a business, and as a way to connect with long lost friends and relatives, and keep up-to-date"

Yes but keep personal Facebook and business Facebook seperately.  I wouldn't use my personal facebook for my fashion business

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
" It is probably one of the most effective SEO tools you can use for a business, and as a way to connect with long lost friends and relatives, and keep up-to-date"

Yes but keep personal Facebook and business Facebook seperately.  I wouldn't use my personal facebook for my fashion business
Did you see Jeff S post which I quoted from?
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
Quote from: chameleon link=topic=5564.msg83966#msg83966

Facebook is a colossal waste of time.

AMEN BROTHER!

Ray

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members