It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Medellin or Bogota  (Read 3261 times)

Offline iambboy8012

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Medellin or Bogota
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »
Hey guys, been awhile since I have been on here. Looking to the knowledgeable people on here about a startup. I’m thinking of a consulting startup in IT. I was thinking Medellin since I have read, (can’t remember where), that it is the silicone valley of LA. Any locals living there care to give some insight? I litterally just got back from Bogota, but the trip was more a relaxation and to hang out with friends I meet in  Barranquilla when I went last time. Thanks in advanced and appreciate any insight.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Medellin or Bogota
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
dont recommend any foreigner opening a business in colombia, too much drama,  theft, employees who dont show up, make excuses ect. 

but if your set on it, i would recommend bogota over medellin. the people  there seem more serious, business oriented.

medellin, its just a party city.

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
mudd said:
dont recommend any foreigner opening a business in colombia, too much drama,  theft, employees who dont show up, make excuses ect. 

but if your set on it, i would recommend bogota over medellin. the people  there seem more serious, business oriented.

medellin, its just a party city.
I have to agree with mudd on this one. I had a friend who used to make hi-end handbags for women. He had a place in Bogota and one in Medellin. His assistant manager and his girlfriend got him for about $5K USD and when he wanted to flyout to return to the US, his asst. contacted a cab for him. The 'cab driver' was taking him on a 'different route' to JMC in Rio Negro. Fortunately for my friend, the cops had shut the road down and was giving the cab driver a leary eye. It wasn't until he finally made it to the airport that he realized that he just avoided a 'hit' on him. If memory serves me, he used some 'heavies' to boot the assistant manager and his girlfriend out and not to mess with him. After that he lost confidence and closed up his business.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
Hey guys, been awhile since I have been on here. Looking to the knowledgeable people on here about a startup. I’m thinking of a consulting startup in IT. I was thinking Medellin since I have read, (can’t remember where), that it is the silicone valley of LA. Any locals living there care to give some insight? I litterally just got back from Bogota, but the trip was more a relaxation and to hang out with friends I meet in  Barranquilla when I went last time. Thanks in advanced and appreciate any insight.

According to this poll Colombians think paisas are the hardest workers in Colombia

https://www.google.com.co/amp/www.semana.com/amp/los-paisas-y-los-otros/52525

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
According to this poll Colombians think paisas are the hardest workers in Colombia

https://www.google.com.co/amp/www.semana.com/amp/los-paisas-y-los-otros/52525

my friend owns a tax, real estate, visa business in medlelin, he just went through a  employee lawsuit. girl claimed was fired for no reason and was shorted hours and vacation pay. had to hire a lawyer, lot of stress. he eventually won but wow was he pissed off. now has cameras all over the office to watch employees. he constantly complains about the work ethic in Medellin and he pays pretty well.

iambboy8012, if you want to talk to him directly, send me  IM, im sure he can give you some info on running a business and dealing with employees in Medellin and Colombia in general.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 10:59:16 AM »

my friend owns a tax, real estate, visa business in medlelin, he just went through a  employee lawsuit. girl claimed was fired for no reason and was shorted hours and vacation pay. had to hire a lawyer, lot of stress. he eventually won but wow was he pissed off. now has cameras all over the office to watch employees. he constantly complains about the work ethic in Medellin and he pays pretty well.

iambboy8012, if you want to talk to him directly, send me  IM, im sure he can give you some info on running a business and dealing with employees in Medellin and Colombia in general.

Seems to me your friend with all his knowledge would know how to avoid those kinds of problems
Once you hire someone full time in Colombia all kinds of labor laws kick in that’s why it is much better to hire partirme help or use an employment agency

You pay the employment agency and they pay the employees
They are the ones responsible if anything goes wrong
If any employee isn’t working out you just tell the employment agency that you’d like a different person or that you don’t need them any longer
Zero problems

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »
Seems to me your friend with all his knowledge would know how to avoid those kinds of problems
Once you hire someone full time in Colombia all kinds of labor laws kick in that’s why it is much better to hire partirme help or use an employment agency

If any employee isn’t working out you just tell the employment agency that you’d like a different person or that you don’t need them any longer
Zero problems

i agree, but as he said .  finding anybody capable at these agencies is next to impossible, all say they can do the work, but once you see them working and their skills, you just shake your head and " next" very high turnaround. you waste too much time  training and watching, baby sitting, only to learn they cant do the job stated.

if he could do it, he would have one or two good  employees and work from home office lol.   more so after just finished his lawsuit.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
Take everything Mudd says about Medellin with a grain of salt. He hates the city and everyone in it. Do your own research from non biased sources.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:13:46 PM »
Take everything Mudd says about Medellin with a grain of salt. He hates the city and everyone in it. Do your own research from non biased sources.

lol no i dont, but you seem to promote it pretty well. why is that?

as i said, he can ask an actual business owner in Medellin, his experiences and thoughts and can make his own choices.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »

Zero problems

True and at the same time, there's a sad element to it here in the USA Many US companies, large and medium size included, hire from Temporary Employment agencies, and if they really, REALLY like an employeee, they 'might' have a shot at a permanent position. That and the marginally different 'contract workers' make up a lot of many company's workforce.

Been hankering for a personal jet? Treat yourself better, get the Gulfstream 650 ER--only 67 million, although with interior upgrades (I'll take the one that SLEEPS ten over the 19 passenger layout) 70 million's more typical, as avionics upgrades almost make a pilot unnecessary and are increasingly popular.

And these jets are built to a large extent by temps and  contract workers. Business is already with a 20 year backload for orders, is about to zoom even more profit wise, as they no longer offer a great pension or other benefits to sap profits...

"Gulfstream also expects that the new U.S. tax bill, which now allows for 100 percent bonus depreciation on new and preowned business jets this year, “will incentivize buyers on the sidelines to finally make a purchase and reduce supply further.”

Dassault's prime competitor jet is no longer in production, due to engine issues, so they all but own the blue chip jet market.

Sooo, the rich get richer and the General Dynamic's Gulfsream scrapped pensions and reduced matching 401 and 403 'retirement plans' for the few remaining employees that qualified for them.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »

lol no i dont, but you seem to promote it pretty well. why is that?

as i said, he can ask an actual business owner in Medellin, his experiences and thoughts and can make his own choices.

I like the city and it's people. Having said that, I would never promote it to gringos because I think gringos have no business being there. Nearly all the gringos are up to no good so I don't cry when they get taken advantage of by the enterprising women. After all, no dar papaya is the Colombian national motto. Of course the US is not much better with its credo of do unto others before they can do it to you.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »
Sooo, the rich get richer and the General Dynamic's Gulfsream scrapped pensions and reduced matching 401 and 403 'retirement plans' for the few remaining employees that qualified for them.

The American worker gets exactly what he deserves which is nothing. They are complete idiots who vote like morons.  As H.L. Mencken said, "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »

I like the city and it's people. Having said that, I would never promote it to gringos because I think gringos have no business being there. Nearly all the gringos are up to no good so I don't cry when they get taken advantage of by the enterprising women. After all, no dar papaya is the Colombian national motto. Of course the US is not much better with its credo of do unto others before they can do it to you.

I don't know why, besides for monetary reasons, why US citizens are so seemingly well liked in my wife's country. Even a good deal of the populace, not knowing their actual name, simply call the white guys 'Joe' --maybe all white people look the same to them. LOL.

But by and large, the way most US citizens over there, act, behave, dress, their table manners and more, just embarrass me to no end. I don't know anymore if I'm disgusted, embrarassed or amused.

A lot of them are desperate types, running away from God only knows what. A large percentage are actually scraping by on little real income, but how much money they have or don't have doesn't seem to be an indicator of how embarrassingly sorry acting they typically are.

Most of the Germans I see over there behave a bit better over all, although quite a few act like their sh!t doesn't stink like other person's--a vibe picked up on by the locals. From my gathering, the Australians seem to be the most even natured of the visitors and are fairly well regarded.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:52:56 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »

Offline iambboy8012

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 09:44:38 PM »
Wow, this took a turn I never expected ;D . It was just a idea I was pondering, like a technical consulting firm with me and maybe one other local person that I have been good friends with them. But it’s a moot point now as my company is letting me work remotely from there (Bogota). Tired of the rat race here in the states and would just like a nice little change of scenery for a couple months. But love the info guys, and that’s why I come to the forum. Thanks guys

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 04:42:40 AM »
iambboy8012 said:
Wow, this took a turn I never expected  . It was just a idea I was pondering, like a technical consulting firm with me and maybe one other local person that I have been good friends with them. But it’s a moot point now as my company is letting me work remotely from there (Bogota). Tired of the rat race here in the states and would just like a nice little change of scenery for a couple months. But love the info guys, and that’s why I come to the forum. Thanks guys
If it is an opportunity to work from there, I would undoubtly go. I have visited Bogota more times than any other city. It has the same problems as every other large city in the US, (except at a higher altitude!). Observations: traffic is horrid! (I hope I never need to get to a hospital fast because I know I am doomed!), tends to be somewhat dirty, like the rest of the country, Bogotans love to celebrate, Christmas is exceptional! People say that Bogotans, (is that the proper term?) are cold but I find them pleasant! So I would go if I were you. I just wouldn't start up a business there.

Offline buencamino3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 06:47:58 AM »
Bogotanos or rolos.
Hermosamente feliz

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr