It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Nuevo Medellin  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Micky

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
Nuevo Medellin
« on: January 22, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
So anyway,  I went to Poblado three months ago.  My best friend's BF,  a U.S. Gringo,  was here visiting.  The last Sunday that he was here,  I went with Jul (my amiga) and her BF to show him Poblado.  She only wanted me along to share her pain of going there,  as we are both anti-Poblado people.  Is really nothing against the place,  is very nice,  the "Beverly Hills"  of Medellin,  so to say.  But,  just as I would not be hanging out in Beverly Hills,  neither is Poblado my kind of place.  It had been two years since I was there for me.  Being Sunday,  the offices are closed,  a lot less people and traffic,  that part was good.  Walk around Parque Lleras,  down to the Ave and to Oviedo.  Was the first time that I saw the "new"  office building and plaza across the street from Oviedo.  I had heard of the Krispy Kreme opening here,  I heard about Starbucks opening here;  and the Hard Rock was on the opposite corner,  used to be Blockbuster video.  This new "plaza"  area,  to me was very disheartening.  If one took a photo of this plaza - KK,  Starbucks and Hard Rock - it could be anywhere,  Atlanta,  Seattle,  Melbourne.  Years ago I used to have one of my walking routes,  cross the rio,  up to Poblado Ave,  down to the plaza in Sabaneta.  On the sidewalk in front of this new plaza,  I used to stop and buy a cafe every time from the old guy had the stand there,  no more.  I know is normal "progress"  etc;  is not anything evil,  but I think it sucks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:48:00 PM by Micky, Reason: size of print »
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Nuevo Medellin
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:05:30 AM »
Hey Micky: Your first post in years!  Welcome back to P.L.

I remember being in Toledo, Spain in 1999. Spain is awash in charming historic cities but Toledo is a standout with its narrow and winding cobblestone streets. The city's peak period was roughly 1200 to 1500 and the Gothic architecture is amazing.  I remember seeing a McDonald's near the main town square. Not exactly what you expect or want to see when exploring a Medieval European town.

A lot of cities have imposed various bans and/or regulations to slow the plethora of chains. San Francisco imposed a "ban" on "formula" retail back in 2004. By formula retail they meant any store with 11 or more U.S. locations and a recognizable (or formulaic) look. The "ban" is a bit of a misnomer because there are loopholes (conditional use permits) which allow stores to go in if neighborhood residents are still in favor of it.

The Hayes Valley neighborhood in San Francisco went even further and outright banned chain stores of any kind. The result was a bunch of high-end expensive boutique shops that now line Hayes Valley's main commercial hub. Lower income residents who grew up in the area can't afford to shop there!

Chain stores are standardized and boring but often cheaper. The result is the City Council member (Supervisor as it is called in SF) who represents the Hayes Valley area and grew up there has pushed for relaxation of the ban to attract cheaper grocery stores to the area.  Given the density and disposable income in the area, there were plenty of interested chains. I think they ended up getting a "small" chain from Portland to locate there.   

Offline utopiacowboy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
In all my times visiting Medellin I have gone to Poblado once. I will take hanging out in Parque Belen over Poblado any day!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »

Offline Micky

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
Another of the big changes here in Med.,  Gringo tour groups in Centro.  I probably spend the most time in Centro,  other than in my barrio.  Is the best cross section of the "real",  "average",  "normal"  Colombianos.  Ten years ago I could go to Centro and never see another obvious Gringo.  About two years ago I was in Centro having lunch with a friend,  when we finished and were walking back to her office,  coming down Junin (a pedestrian street),  here comes a group (16-20)  of Gringos,  with a tour guide!!  After that I would see "tour groups"  on Carabobo (another Pedestrian street)  that leads to the Museum and Botero plaza.  And doing some legal things at Alpujarra,  where most of the government offices are,  yes,  "tour groups".   Also,  I see tons more Gringo couples.  I think with the good press that Colombia,  and Medellin have gotten over the last ten years,  or so,  has many more tourists here,  without doubt.  Not just the "sex tourist"  or the younger backpacker.
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:04 PM »
Another of the big changes here in Med.,  Gringo tour groups in Centro.  I probably spend the most time in Centro,  other than in my barrio.  Is the best cross section of the "real",  "average",  "normal"  Colombianos.  Ten years ago I could go to Centro and never see another obvious Gringo.  About two years ago I was in Centro having lunch with a friend,  when we finished and were walking back to her office,  coming down Junin (a pedestrian street),  here comes a group (16-20)  of Gringos,  with a tour guide!!  After that I would see "tour groups"  on Carabobo (another Pedestrian street)  that leads to the Museum and Botero plaza.  And doing some legal things at Alpujarra,  where most of the government offices are,  yes,  "tour groups".   Also,  I see tons more Gringo couples.  I think with the good press that Colombia,  and Medellin have gotten over the last ten years,  or so,  has many more tourists here,  without doubt.  Not just the "sex tourist"  or the younger backpacker.

One only needs to go to Airbnb website and search apartments for Medellin and look at who is leaving reviews on the apartments they rented.....a surprising amount of single women and couples are renting these places in large numbers.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 05:36:19 AM »
Starting to see a lot more gringos and foreigners in Manizales now. Especially the apartment where I live.

Time to move-maybe to Bucaramanga. Less rain-maybe too hot.

Not that I am ever in one place more than a few days.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293