It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Last stages of Visa application  (Read 9088 times)

Offline no comment

Last stages of Visa application
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
Wife & I were married in Peru in 2010 and are just now getting to the final stages of the visa process, including the medical exam.  That exam includes 15 required vaccinations and my wife doesn't seem to have records of vaccinations on hand.  She has lived in one location all her life so she'll go to the local hospital and inquire about records but we have to prepare for having no records. 

For those who have gone through the Visa process, what can you say about that part of it?  Fifteen vaccinations is quite a bit and I'd imagine that would overwhelm the immune system, and so would have to be administered over time. 

FWIW, in jm21-2's thread Re:fiance and spousal visa processing delays I raised the question about the necessity of police records as part of the civil documents to be submitted for the visa application in Lima, Peru. The NVC website said they are "... available but not necessary."  I put the question to the NVC via e-mail and finally received a response reiterating what had been written in one part of their website and not supported in another.  I'll have the wife print a copy of that e-mail to take to the interview.

Speaking of the visa interview, the topic of whether the other half of the relationship should be present at the interview has been covered on this forum, but it would be worthwhile to have recent experience on that. 

Assuming positive results from the interview, what's the time until the visa is in hand?  Is it realistic to gamble and go down for the interview on a round trip ticket and hope to purchase a one way ticket for her?

Offline Woody

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Last stages of Visa application
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »
Unless it is a series vaccine, other than it being painful, I don't think there is a problem getting 15 in one go. I watched a guy get 12 different vaccines in a row because he was getting stationed in Korea and they lost his shot records (hence the reason I always keep my yellow shot card and get that updated and NEVER let them keep it in my medical records). Then again, this was the Army...

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:56 AM »
During her medical my wife was only given 2 vaccines - measles & tetanus (I think). There were more on the list but only 2 were given - I think that she may have to take the rest when she arrives here in the US.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:56 AM »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:40:05 AM »
Wife & I were married in Peru in 2010 and are just now getting to the final stages of the visa process, including the medical exam.  That exam includes 15 required vaccinations and my wife doesn't seem to have records of vaccinations on hand.  She has lived in one location all her life so she'll go to the local hospital and inquire about records but we have to prepare for having no records. 
For those who have gone through the Visa process, what can you say about that part of it?  Fifteen vaccinations is quite a bit and I'd imagine that would overwhelm the immune system, and so would have to be administered over time. 
FWIW, in jm21-2's thread Re:fiance and spousal visa processing delays I raised the question about the necessity of police records as part of the civil documents to be submitted for the visa application in Lima, Peru. The NVC website said they are "... available but not necessary."  I put the question to the NVC via e-mail and finally received a response reiterating what had been written in one part of their website and not supported in another.  I'll have the wife print a copy of that e-mail to take to the interview.Speaking of the visa interview, the topic of whether the other half of the relationship should be present at the interview has been covered on this forum, but it would be worthwhile to have recent experience on that.Assuming positive results from the interview, what's the time until the visa is in hand?  Is it realistic to gamble and go down for the interview on a round trip ticket and hope to purchase a one way ticket for her?
My understanding is this there are tests that can be taken to see if she is already immune to some of these things, if so she maybe she can just show the test results & get a hell of a lot less shots.

pig
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline william3rd

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:03:34 AM »

FWIW, in jm21-2's thread Re:fiance and spousal visa processing delays I raised the question about the necessity of police records as part of the civil documents to be submitted for the visa application in Lima, Peru. The NVC website said they are "... available but not necessary."  I put the question to the NVC via e-mail and finally received a response reiterating what had been written in one part of their website and not supported in another.  I'll have the wife print a copy of that e-mail to take to the interview.

Speaking of the visa interview, the topic of whether the other half of the relationship should be present at the interview has been covered on this forum, but it would be worthwhile to have recent experience on that. 

Assuming positive results from the interview, what's the time until the visa is in hand?  Is it realistic to gamble and go down for the interview on a round trip ticket and hope to purchase a one way ticket for her?

Bangkok does not permit the petitioner to attend the interview or enter the building.  This prohibition is posted on their website.  Lets them go to town on the applicant if they are so inclined. Dont gamble. Most websites for consulates state teh standard mantra- make no plans to travel, quit your job, etc  etc etc until you have the visa in hand. .
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »

All of those 15 vaccinations are age specific - so your wife will not need to get all of them. Most women aged 18-60 only need to have a couple of them done. In my wife's case she only needed 3 - Td, MMR and Varicella.

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »

I don’t think there is any way in hell that she will need 15 vaccinations.

You don’t need specific recorded proof that you had a vaccination. Some are assumed to have been administered. For example, if all school children in a country are given a specific vaccination as a child in school and she attended school in that country.

Some vaccinations leave a distinctive scar, as in Small Pox.

Other vaccinations can be verified by doing immune testing.

The patient will be interviewed about childhood illnesses and vaccinations also.

2-3 vaccinations are typical, as Capstone pointed out.

Ray

Offline Woody

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »

Yeah, not looking forward to my 2018 repeat of that one... Maybe this time it won't be as bad.

Offline no comment

Re: Might a gov't. shutdown affect process...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »
Does anyone know if a government shutdown over the budget impasse will affect Visa processing...... maybe delay interviews at overseas embassies?

Offline Woody

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
My guess would be that the Embassys will remain unaffected, but it would result in the shutdown of the visa processing, therefore no new appointments would be sent. In addition, I doubt that the paperwork would go anywhere after the interview.

It would probably shut down visa processing completely from the end user standpoint. There will probably be stuff going on behind the scenes, but as far as you are concerned, I would proceed as if there will be no processing whatsoever. That said, since the visa stuff is supposed to be self supporting, it might not be affected.

This shutdown will be especially annoying for me since it will likely mean a stop to my GI Bill and VA benefits. Fortunately it will not impact my plans, unless the shutdown lasts till July. That is HIGHLY unlikely, a shutdown of more than a few weeks with no pay to the military would be catastrophic. The fact of the matter is that MOST enlisted are living paycheck to paycheck. Missing one payday will hurt (But, being mid-month, not so bad), missing the end of month pay will be a disaster.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:39:36 PM by Woody »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »

Hey NC, here is a link to an article on government shutdowns and immigration.I found it through Visajourney.com.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_shutdo.html
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline no comment

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »
Thanks for the link, Researcher.  Wife has an interview scheduled for late May, but that could be delayed. 

"It is anticipated that the consulates will not be open for visa appointments and processing. Thus, depending upon the duration of such an event, individuals could be stranded abroad with no way of obtaining required travel documents."

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 04:27:30 AM »

That sucks No Comment. From what I have heard a shutdown is unlikely and if there is one it won't last long. I hope that's right.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 04:27:30 AM »

Offline ignorante

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 04:51:36 AM »
  Since this was declared eradicated in 1979, why do they still immunize for it?

Offline no comment

Alabamaboy, re/ tax filing
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
AB or anyone else married outside of the US,
Married, filing jointly but the wife is outside of the country and doesn't yet have a SS#.  Just what did you do regarding her SS# & signature on your return?  I got a suggestion from someone who prepares returns that I sign on her behalf and include a note to the IRS explaining the circumstances....

Offline thekfc

Re: Alabamaboy, re/ tax filing
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
Married, filing jointly but the wife is outside of the country and doesn't yet have a SS#.  Just what did you do regarding her SS# & signature on your return?  I got a suggestion from someone who prepares returns that I sign on her behalf and include a note to the IRS explaining the circumstances....
What I did was file single & then amended my return when she arrived & got her SS card.

You can do that or the below:
http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7/ch01.html#d0e200
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

A little reading:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:35:55 PM by thekfc »

Offline Capstone

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
Married, filing jointly but the wife is outside of the country and doesn't yet have a SS#.  Just what did you do regarding her SS# & signature on your return?  I got a suggestion from someone who prepares returns that I sign on her behalf and include a note to the IRS explaining the circumstances....

You can file a joint tax return and use an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for your wife in lieu of a SSN. You get her an ITIN by submitting a W-7 form along with your tax return. I believe the only catch is that you also need to send in a notarized copy of her passport information pages along with the W-7. I know that the embassy & consulates in China will notarize a copy of a foreign passport so hopefully the one in Peru will also.

Another option is that you can always file a return now as Married Filing Separately  and then when your wife enters the US and receives her SSN you can file an amended return as Married Filing Jointly.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »

Yep, notarized copy of passport and We.Make sure she signs the tax return and We.

Researcher

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
I had to give notarized copy of her passport. And I think the marriage cert, and I believe I threw in her birth cert for good measure. I had to submit all that with the paper tax return. You cannot file electronically when requesting the Individual Tax ID number for her. That application must go with the actual tax return itself. It took about 2 months to receive the notification with her number. I thought it would take longer.

And yes, she needs to personally sign the form requesting the number and also the tax return.

The good news is that my accountant said it saved me thousands of dollars changing my filing status.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:51:29 PM by Alabamaboy! »

Offline Ray

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »

Someone gave you bad advice! I would ignore it.

When is she expected to arrive here in the states? Within 6 months?

Your easiest options are:

1. File now as single, then file an amended return as married/joint later when she is here and has an SSN like kfc suggested.

2. Even easier still, just file for a 6-month extension if you expect her to be here by then, pay any estimated taxes due now, then file your joint return when she gets here and has her SSN. You can work up the forms now and fill in her SSN and signature later when you file. I believe that’s Form 4868 for an automatic extension.

The ITIN thing can be a mess so I didn’t even try it. K.I.S.S.

Ray

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »

I would do the ITIN, no sweat.

Researcher
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:32:07 PM by Researcher »

Offline Capstone

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
Some consulates/embassies will give the beneficiary grief if you are married and file as Single and then use that tax return for support of an I-864. They argue that if it is a bona-fide marriage then you would have filed as Married - either jointly or separately. The consulate in Guangzhou has been known to do this.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:41:56 PM by Capstone »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

That's a good point Capstone. I guess it depends on what embassy you have to use and whether or not you want to wait for a tax refund, if you are getting one.

Researcher

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
Some consulates/embassies will give the beneficiary grief if you are married and file as Single and then use that tax return for support of an I-864. They argue that if it is a bona-fide marriage then you would have filed as Married - either jointly or separately. The consulate in Guangzhou has been known to do this.

That is one of the reasons I wanted to do this as soon as possible. Because I want to show that we are married, that the tax return was filed as such, etc.

Offline no comment

Re: tax filing status
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for the input.  Looks like I'll have to use one of the 2 options mentioned by KFC & Ray.  There's not enough time to get documents to the wife for a signature.  I've already filed the affidavit of support documents and submitted tax returns from previous years, so I won't worry about filing as single if I use that option.

Alabamaboy, I mentioned you in the inquiry because I know that you've got the same circumstances as I: married to a non resident alien in 2010, with the wife not becoming a resident during that year.  Did you file as "married filing separately"?

If the election (to file a joint return) is not made, you may be able to claim your nonresident alien spouse as an exemption on a return filed as married filing separately, but only if the spouse had no income and could not be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.  quote from the J.K. Lasser's tax guide

Is there any other advantage to filing as married other than the extra exemption?

Offline Ray

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »

Is there any other advantage to filing as married other than the extra exemption?

It will provide further evidence of a valid marriage later when you file the petition to remove conditions.

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 07:11:24 AM »
When I filed my 2010 taxes, my wife's visa application was already approved so there nothing else I had to send in.

There was something I needed to do (non-visa related) so I went the single route (and amend later) as it would be much easier & less time consuming than the W-7/ITIN route.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »
You can file a joint tax return and use an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for your wife in lieu of a SSN. You get her an ITIN by submitting a W-7 form along with your tax return. I believe the only catch is that you also need to send in a notarized copy of her passport information pages along with the W-7. I know that the embassy & consulates in China will notarize a copy of a foreign passport so hopefully the one in Peru will also.

Another option is that you can always file a return now as Married Filing Separately  and then when your wife enters the US and receives her SSN you can file an amended return as Married Filing Jointly.
Question:
If you file married filing separately, wouldn't you have to provide the spouse's SSN / ITIN?

Offline Capstone

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
Question:
If you file married filing separately, wouldn't you have to provide the spouse's SSN / ITIN?

No, not if the spouse is a non-resident alien who is not required to have a SSN or ITIN. If the spouse is an NRA and you do not claim their personal exemption then you can file as Married Filing Separately without providing a SSN or ITIN for them. Many people say that they just write in Non Resident Alien or NRA in the spouse's SSN field under this circumstance. Of course you would not be able to file the return electronically in this case - it would need to be mailed in.

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for the input.  Looks like I'll have to use one of the 2 options mentioned by KFC & Ray.  There's not enough time to get documents to the wife for a signature.  I've already filed the affidavit of support documents and submitted tax returns from previous years, so I won't worry about filing as single if I use that option.

Alabamaboy, I mentioned you in the inquiry because I know that you've got the same circumstances as I: married to a non resident alien in 2010, with the wife not becoming a resident during that year.  Did you file as "married filing separately"?

If the election (to file a joint return) is not made, you may be able to claim your nonresident alien spouse as an exemption on a return filed as married filing separately, but only if the spouse had no income and could not be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.  quote from the J.K. Lasser's tax guide

I filed "married filing jointly". I applied for the Individual Tax ID number for her. I was fortunate enough that I had already had a trip planned anyway so I took the application for the Tax ID number and the completed tax return with me to Colombia and had her sign both. I had to send both together to the IRS. You cannot do electronic filing if it is the first time you are doing it with the Individual Tax ID number which needs to be approved. It took about 2 months.

My tax situation was greatly improved (so my accountant says) because I was filing  married jointly and not single.

Offline no comment

Interview, visa not issued
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
Today at the American embassy in Lima my wife had an interview for a visa.  Visa denied.  They've required more documents including a copy of my 2010 tax return which was referenced earlier in this thread.  I took the advice to file for an extension but it seems I'll have to fill out a return without the wife's #, which I had hoped to get after her arrival in the states.
Wife told me that the staff at the embassy were pushy and rude.  They were behind plexiglass and spoke through microphones.  Maybe the security of a screen makes one feel more powerful and bold.
I'll send the documents that they requested via DHL and hopefully this will fade as a bad memory.

Offline fathertime

Re: Interview, visa not issued
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 10:45:33 PM »
Today at the American embassy in Lima my wife had an interview for a visa.  Visa denied.  They've required more documents including a copy of my 2010 tax return which was referenced earlier in this thread.  I took the advice to file for an extension but it seems I'll have to fill out a return without the wife's #, which I had hoped to get after her arrival in the states.
Wife told me that the staff at the embassy were pushy and rude.  They were behind plexiglass and spoke through microphones.  Maybe the security of a screen makes one feel more powerful and bold.
I'll send the documents that they requested via DHL and hopefully this will fade as a bad memory.

Well NC, I think you both will get your visa after you serve them the papers they are demanding, but what do you do if they keep denying you??  Your situation is really sucko, and I’m sorry to hear it is going down like this thus far.  Keep fighting, persistence almost always pays off!

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »

Sorry to hear NC. I didn't think filing for an extension seemed like a good idea.When we had our AOS interview they seemed to pay alot of attention to our tax returns.Any irregularity seems to give them reason to question things.But you should be back on track once you get them the papers they are asking for.

Researcher

Offline no comment

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »
No, not if the spouse is a non-resident alien who is not required to have a SSN or ITIN. If the spouse is an NRA and you do not claim their personal exemption then you can file as Married Filing Separately without providing a SSN or ITIN for them. Many people say that they just write in Non Resident Alien or NRA in the spouse's SSN field under this circumstance. Of course you would not be able to file the return electronically in this case - it would need to be mailed in.
Capstone, here is what I just did..... with an H & R Block program for tax returns we made a return as married filing separate.  The software gives these directions regarding a SSN/ ITIN number:
"Whenever we ask for the SSN of the ITIN applicant, you should create a nine digit number that will be easily identified as incorrect (for example 111-11-1111). When you print out your return later you should put a single line through that number and hand write 'applied ITIN'."
Just had my wife fill out a W-7 form off the web (in Peru) and she will mail that along with a notarized copy of her passport.  I do lose on not having her as an exemption, but she had income in her country in 2010 and things are already complicated enough.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »
NC

I had all kinds of problems at the embassy in Ecuador and while we were not officially "denied", they made us come back for a second interview about 2 months later(which would have been 6 months had not my Senator and Congressman wrote letters asking for an explanation" . I would get you state politicians involved. They need your vote !!. Good Luck

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline no comment

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
NC
I had all kinds of problems at the embassy in Ecuador and while we were not officially "denied", they made us come back for a second interview about 2 months later(which would have been 6 months had not my Senator and Congressman wrote letters asking for an explanation" . I would get you state politicians involved. They need your vote !!. Good Luck
KB,
What pretext did the embassy in Ecuador give for making you come back a 2nd time? 

I did not attend the interview.  I had the impression that the petitioner wasn't allowed in to the interview, but your reply suggests that you attended with your fiance (or wife).  The embassy in Lima gave my wife a sheet with a few items checked off for submittal, including a 2010 tax return.  I don't know at this point if the documents will be enough to satisfy the embassy or if another interview will be necessary and if so, how long the wait will be.  If it looks like a long wait I'll definitely call on a local representative.

Offline Ray

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »

Today at the American embassy in Lima my wife had an interview for a visa. Visa denied. They've required more documents including a copy of my 2010 tax return which was referenced earlier in this thread. I took the advice to file for an extension but it seems I'll have to fill out a return without the wife's #, which I had hoped to get after her arrival in the states.
Wife told me that the staff at the embassy were pushy and rude. They were behind plexiglass and spoke through microphones. Maybe the security of a screen makes one feel more powerful and bold.

That sucks!

I think these pushy & rude "civil servants" need to be frequently reminded that they are "servants". Perhaps they need to find another line of work, like the unemployment line for example.   ;D

If they didn’t accept your tax return that was the most recent when you signed the Affidavit of Support, then there may be some question about your income evidence. Did you submit an official employer letter and several months of the most recent payroll statements? Those are usually considered a more reliable indicator of current, steady income than last year’s tax return, especially in today’s economic environment. If you are self-employed, then other documents should be submitted to verify income if possible.

Did you include all attachments to your tax return, such as copies of W-2 forms?

Good luck with the second round…

Ray

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »

Hey No Comment, I don't have any experience with the embassy in Peru but it sounds like about every embassy has A holes.There was one guy at the embassy in Bogota that was being very rude to people and it looked as thogh he was turning many people down.Luckily we got a very nice lady at the window next to his.I've geen through this process twice and I gotta tell ya its always best to give them just what they ask for, nothing more, nothing less.Everything should be organized and laid out as if a 5 year old kid was processing it.

If you want to get an idea of what the embassy in Peru is like and what the process is like just read these reviews:

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Peru&cty=&dfilter=5

I got alot out of them when I went through the process because people describe their experiences there.

Researcher

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »

That sucks!

I think these pushy & rude "civil servants" need to be frequently reminded that they are "servants". Perhaps they need to find another line of work, like the unemployment line for example.   ;D

If they didn’t accept your tax return that was the most recent when you signed the Affidavit of Support, then there may be some question about your income evidence. Did you submit an official employer letter and several months of the most recent payroll statements? Those are usually considered a more reliable indicator of current, steady income than last year’s tax return, especially in today’s economic environment. If you are self-employed, then other documents should be submitted to verify income if possible.

Did you include all attachments to your tax return, such as copies of W-2 forms?

Good luck with the second round…

Ray

NC

I did not attend the initial interview because the embassy website clearly stated that the petitioner was not allowed to attend. Well, they said we needed to return because I was not with her and that they felt our marriage was a fraud. When I did go to the second interview, they had an Ecuadorian national conduct the interview and ask very personal and sexual natured questions. They then told us after a 3 hour wait that the visa would not be issued that day and they needed further time to make a decision and I would be asked to return in 6 months for a final interview. This I said was not acceptable and demanded to see the council chief , whom after another 2 hours wait  showed up and in his marine military style told me that he thought our marriage was a fraud. I smacked the Plexiglas and told him he as a MF and that he would issue the visa one way or another. I then returned to the USA and contacted my Congressman , Howard Coble and my Senator, Richard Burr and went over the way we were treated. Well, Magically 2 weeks later I got a call from my senators office saying the visa was being issued. it pays to press your politicians for help especially when they know an election is near. You can go to Visa journey and do a search for Ecuador and look at the posts around 2007 and see my story and several other stories of people going through the same thing. Let me know if I can help further

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline no comment

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
KB,
I was pissed off when we didn't get the visa because I felt we had every reason to be optimistic.  You were really treated badly, so I won't be too dramatic over our initial refusal.  Right now the plan is to give them the documents that they requested, and if that doesn't work we'll contact a representative. 

Ray,
I'm self employed and I started a business in 2007 just as the economy was starting to stall and show problems.  It's hard enough to start a business and it takes time to show a profit in good times, let alone during a severe financial downturn.  Nevertheless, I submitted evidence of assets that were in excess of their financial requirements and explained the business situation with a cover letter. 

Researcher,
I checked out that page you linked and it's full of happy people who got visas and gave the consulate high ratings. 

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »

Even so NC, by reading what they wrote you can get an idea what the process is like there and maybe even get some of your questions answered.I got alot out of reading reviews of the Bogota embassy and was well prepared when we went.At least on that site the folks are going through the process at the same embassy you'll be using.As far as your paperwork you might want to consider hiring an immigration attorney.

Researcher

Offline fathertime

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

g.As far as your paperwork you might want to consider hiring an immigration attorney.

Researcher

Hey NC, I want to reiterate what Researcher said here!  I remember a while back when you decided you were going to do this visa paperwork by yourself and I thought it was a needless risk!  I know that quite a few people do it all on their own and get fooacted out of a few months of their lives for stupid things that could likely be prevented if you had an experienced lawyer that anticipates these things.    WilliamIII was real good with my visa and knew what to expect in advance, it may be a little late for you now, but if you have continued problems you might consider contacting him.  He hasn't posted in a while but I can put you in touch with him if you are unable to find him and want to.

Good luck with the visa,
Fathertime!
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline no comment

la Visa, por fin
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
Wife and I submitted the documents requested by the embassy and we finally got the Visa this past Monday.  Now to book a flight and make arrangements for her travel to the States. 

There are a few options, each with pros & cons.  The trip is Lima > NYC and most flights include a stopover with a plane change.  She has never flown alone before, and never out of Peru.  In addition she'll be traveling with 3 or 4 pieces of luggage and will have to submit the sealed documents upon entry to the country, presumably the first point of entry. 

A direct flight is an option, much more expensive but it would eliminate the hassle of changing flights and dealing with any Visa issue that may take too much time with a flight to catch.

Another option to keep things simple is to find a flight with a plane change in Panama or Colombia.  Those two countries are among few others to which a Peruvian may travel with just a passport of Peru. 

...or I could book a R/T for myself and one way for her, just to make it easy for her.

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »
Congratulations!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:09 AM »

Congrats NC!!!

Researcher

Offline fathertime

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »
Thank God man!

Maybe you could get her the more direct flight and use all the money you saved by you not travelling to meet her to do something extra special after she arrives.  Maybe you should present the options to her as well and see what she thinks is best.  It is a little difficult for her to travel alone, but it is kinda romantic when she finally spots you in the American airport after the ordeal.

Fathertime! 
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline no comment

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »
Gracias a todos por las felicitaciones. 
Maybe you could get her the more direct flight and use all the money you saved by you not travelling to meet her to do something extra special after she arrives.  Maybe you should present the options to her as well and see what she thinks is best.  It is a little difficult for her to travel alone, but it is kinda romantic when she finally spots you in the American airport after the ordeal.
FT, I recall that you were considering doing something when your fiance was coming to the States and I suggested keeping it simple.  She's going to be excited enough, and stressed as well. 

Question to all... did you let your wife/ fiance make the trip alone and is the Visa thing an issue, or does everything run smoothly through the airport?

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »

I travelled with my wife because her English wasn't that great and I didn't want her first experience in the US to be a bad one.Luckily everything went well.

I am also glad I went to be there when she said goodbye to her family at the airport.It wasn't easy but my support was helpful. That was a tough scene.

Researcher

Offline fathertime

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
Gracias a todos por las felicitaciones.  FT, I recall that you were considering doing something when your fiance was coming to the States and I suggested keeping it simple.  She's going to be excited enough, and stressed as well. 

Question to all... did you let your wife/ fiance make the trip alone and is the Visa thing an issue, or does everything run smoothly through the airport?

Well NC, I actually don't remember what I was thinking or planning.  As it turns out I was dutifully waiting for my wife at the airport when she finally got to me it was about 1:30am I think, it was a very joyous moment. 

I think everything ran smoothly for my wife with the airport visa thing at the airport.  She traveled alone and did not speak very good English. 

Fathertime! 
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats