It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: american disappears after visiting his girlfriend.  (Read 5312 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
american disappears after visiting his girlfriend.
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:07:29 AM »
American disappeared in Caldas, outside Medellin after visiting his girlfriend.

Todd Phillip Armanian, a 43-year-old US citizen, disappeared on Saturday, February 23, when he left the home of his girlfriend in the municipality of Caldas, Antioquia.

Todd Philip Armanian is of robust build and white complexion. He is 1.70 meters tall, his hair is brown and he has brown eyes.The man of American nationality travels frequently to the country to visit his girlfriend who lives in the aforementioned municipality.

The authorities indicated that the man had no threats against him.If you know anything about your whereabouts, you can contact the CTI Disappeared Group at telephone 444 66 77, extensions 1209, 1153 and 1158.

www.minuto30.com/estadounidense-desaparecio-en-caldas-tras-visitar-a-su-novia/788344/

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: american disappears after visiting his girlfriend.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »
Truly the best things about PL are these love stories from Mudd.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »

yep, better to see what  its really like, than to sugar coat it and fart daisy's  ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »

Offline Fosgate5

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »
Wish we had the military policy of the Reagan era again. Message was clear, don't F;ck with Americans or the U.S. Marines will break their foot off in your azz. Seemed you rearly heard of an American going "Missing" in a foreign country. If they did it seemed the countries govt was scrambling all resources to find them to prevent an invasion or heavy sanctions.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
Wish we had the military policy of the Reagan era again. Message was clear, don't F;ck with Americans or the U.S. Marines will break their foot off in your azz. Seemed you rearly heard of an American going "Missing" in a foreign country. If they did it seemed the countries govt was scrambling all resources to find them to prevent an invasion or heavy sanctions.

The best assurance of peace is an awesome military, defense and other nations knowing it's not 'lip service'--not 'saber rattling', that we can use it effectively and WILL.

As for more US Citizens disappearing abroad, that's probably true. The good ole blue USA passport probably doesn't carry the same weight, the same relative comfort that it 'covered your back' overseas.

But looking at those two cute young Norwegian ladies,  who were (dumbly) camping out, hiking in a sorry Middle Eastern area and they had their heads cut off, I don't know if had they been Americans, if it'd be different.

It's a sicker, crazier world than ever before. And for whatever reasons, I think it's because typically they hate our govt and be it democrat or republican lead, it'd be no different.  Obama or Trump, haters gonna hate.

Furthermore,  I think before, most people who hated our govt, were able to view us as individual people differently.  But I think increasingly, that's no longer the case, that targeting and harming innocent Americans specifically is becoming increasingly intentional, focused and directed.

And in some places abroad, the local govt doesn't mind that, unless it effects tourism, their pocketbook. When tourism dies, it take food off the table, then it's a problem.

They may 'act' like they care, to cover themselves, but they don't.

Just a lot of hatred and tensions all around the world. Hell, right here in the USA, it seems like every week, we have another mass shooting and more often or not, the shooter looks like the kid or guy next door.

If I even wanted to 'profile' a a person likely to walk into a church, business or park and kill people, it'd probably be some high school or college kid, a white guy 30 to 60 y/o.

Look at that guy who massacred so many from a high Las Vegas hotel room and ask yourself "Does he look any different than the kind of guy you might see living on your block, and you'd think is probably 'OK'?"

Or maybe an ex military guy, who couldn't handle being sent  on eight different, long tours of duty to hell holes in the middle east, seeing his fellow soldiers killed, maimed, crippled tour after tour.... Driven insane by the stress of the trauma. WhoTF am I to doubt what effect  PTS or otherwise, of seeing your literal 'brothers in arms' blown up, bleeding to death has on a mind?

But even those brave, broken souls, men who literally almost gave the ultimate 'ALL'- those veterans, more often commit suicide, than come back shooting others.

Guys, I'm talking about white people, like the guy I see in the mirror every day. The guys, who if ANYBODY, has a 'leg up', is catching a break in the USA today.

How sick is that?

These aren't M13 gangster kids from Central America, or the ridiculously, grossly over purported Mexicans, illegally crossing over the border on a mission to rape, murder and work organized crime.

It's wrong to do so, but those people crossing our borders are far, far more likely coming in  hoping to pick fruit, vegetables, work in a factory or service sector job and send money home to feed their family, who they value and respect. God fearing people.

They're people doing jobs most people in our lazy ass nation, where we know, people who know:

---"The price of everything and the
    value of nothing"---,

people who won't work in 'those' kinds of jobs. And look down on those who do.

And when they disappear,  a trip to the grocery market, or a stay at a motel, to name just two of many scenarios, is gonna cost you more money.

But grossly overstating the threat others present typically fits conveniently in with another group's 'agenda'.

But just last night, I was reminding my wife that when we're traveling abroad, we need to heighten awareness of our persons and possessions more than ever before. I had to tell her: "No, you're NOT carrying your passport in that cute little backpack".

Because for one reason, as pointed out, if we get in trouble overseas, they probably won't be scrambling to save our asses, afraid of USA repercussions if they don't...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:37:36 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
I rarely comment on articles like this because the chances of it happening to you are simply a numbers game. .Just like most other civilized, politically stable countries in the world, $hit can still happen to you. Personally I don’t allow it to be a deterent but one must aways stay diligent and pay attention in countries that are dangerous.

I will say this. I passed through Caldas before. Been to Cartago, Ibagué, Villavicencia (for a while), Neiva (seriously dated a girl there), and a lot more. Pretty much everywhere rural along the coast. It’s always A LOT riskier outside the refuge of big city, affluent residential areas. Because that’s how I’ve always stayed safe while in Colombia. I take an occasional trip out to the sticks to visit old friends or see the sights, but normally you’ll find me in a minimum 4 star hotel or renting a place somewhere in a neighborhood where the richest people in town stay. In Bogota I lived in El Chico for an extended period for work. In the Northern most part of the barrio there’s an armed federal policeman on every corner. This is because several politicians and powerful bankers live there. It is walking distance from Colombia’s World Trade Center.

While living in Rio I had an apartment in Lagoa. The second most expensive neighborhood in Rio under Leblon. When the exchange rate had the dollar at its weakest against the Real I was paying $3500 a month for that one bedroom. Again though...Brazilian congressman and his family was living in a condo in the building next to mine. There was constant federal police presense on our corner.

The thing about smaller cities and towns is not only a lack of significant police presense in many parts. The biggest issue is people can just sense you’re an outsider. White or black, rich or poor, flashy or modest, fluent Spanish or none at all. They can usually tell. Especially if it’s one of those smaller towns with a popular tourist attraction. Being an tourist or simply an outsider always makes you a target. Even with my darker skin, dressing like a Colombian and fluent Spanish with my half decent attempt at a Colombian accent, in places like that I’m still often asked, “¿De donde es usted?”

I couldn’t imagine being someone with European features trying to walk home from a bar alone in a less than 100K population Colombian town.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:37:55 PM by benjio »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
I rarely comment on articles like this because the chances of it happening to you are simply a numbers game. .Just like most other civilized, politically stable countries in the world, $hit can still happen to you. Personally I don’t allow it to be a deterent but one must aways stay diligent and pay attention in countries that are dangerous.

I will say this. I passed through Caldas before. Been to Cartago, Ibagué, Villavicencia (for a while), Neiva (seriously dated a girl there), and a lot more. Pretty much everywhere rural along the coast. It’s always A LOT riskier outside the refuge of big city, affluent residential areas. Because that’s how I’ve always stayed safe while in Colombia. I take an occasional trip out to the sticks to visit old friends or see the sights, but normally you’ll find me in a minimum 4 star hotel or renting a place somewhere in a neighborhood where the richest people in town stay. In Bogota I lived in El Chico for an extended period for work. In the Northern most part of the barrio there’s an armed federal policeman on every corner. This is because several politicians and powerful bankers live there. It is walking distance from Colombia’s World Trade Center.

While living in Rio I had an apartment in Lagoa. The second most expensive neighborhood in Rio under Leblon. When the exchange rate had the dollar at its weakest against the Real I was paying $3500 a month for that one bedroom. Again though...Brazilian congressman and his family was living in a condo in the building next to mine. There was constant federal police presense on our corner.

The thing about smaller cities and towns is not only a lack of significant police presense in many parts. The biggest issue is people can just sense you’re an outsider. White or black, rich or poor, flashy or modest, fluent Spanish or none at all. They can usually tell. Especially if it’s one of those smaller towns with a popular tourist attraction. Being an tourist or simply an outsider always makes you a target. Even with my darker skin, dressing like a Colombian and fluent Spanish with my half decent attempt at a Colombian accent, in places like that I’m still often asked, “¿De donde es usted?”

I couldn’t imagine being someone with European features trying to walk home from a bar alone in a less than 100K population Colombian town.

good points and advice. when i first came to Medellin, i visited a girl i was kind of dating,  in  a barrio she lived. i went with a friend from here who knew the area, a local.  As soon as we got out of the taxi, even i noticed we were being watched.  after about  an hour or two, decided to leave. we tried for 40 minutes to get a taxi, but no luck, so we started walking down the hill with my friend and her to a corner where we could grab a taxi. as we passed  a parked car, sitting was 4 teenagers, they said " hola gringo" and we kept walking. lucky for us, the girl i was with, her and her family and cousins were well known in the barrio, or more than likely, we wouldnt have gotten out.

after we left, my friend says " do not ever go back there"   which i never did.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
I have been to.pueblos , remote areas , small cities all over Colombia and never felt like a "target"..but then I seldom go alone...but sometimes I do.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
I have been to.pueblos , remote areas , small cities all over Colombia and never felt like a "target"..but then I seldom go alone...but sometimes I do.

Been in, usually passing through, areas with high percentages (controlled by) Communist NPA = "new people's army" and Muslim extremists. Had to, for a about two hours of the three hour ride from the airport (which has also been bombed) to get to my Mother-in-law's home & farm, which involved heightened risk.

These were two groups, who occasionally pulled kidnappings for ransom, cut off heads, blew up bus terminals and power stations etc. If I traveled in private vehicles, usually it was with my wife's very alert, muscular brothers. If we hired a driver, we never let him know he was transporting an American beforehand.

The things we do for love!

I'm just glad our personal home over there is in an area close to The nicest beaches, malls and nice spots. Ironically, that particular metro area is probably safer than our home base area in Georgia.

But hell, here in the USA, I am just as careful. Last night I reminded my wife we're seeing more purse snatchings  and car jackings, right in the heart of our tourism economy driven USA home city.

But being in a foreign country, especially when traveling longer distances,  I have to rely on other person's ongoing appraisal of the environment, which adds an extra element, lessening my own sense of control.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 05:27:57 PM »

go to some barrios in Medellin, san javier, parts of bello, column 13,  12 de octubre. upper part of belen,   you will gringo lol

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »

go to some barrios in Medellin, san javier, parts of bello, column 13,  12 de octubre. upper part of belen,   you will gringo lol

Not interesed in those places..the comunas in Cali either..  where the Taxstas wont even go..

Pueblos are a different kettle of fish...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:38:33 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 06:00:21 PM »
Not interesed in those places..the comunas in Cali either..  where the Taxstas wont even go..

Pueblos are a different kettle of fish...

Sometimes,  obliviously in my case, a guy when sufficiently motivated by woman's allure, will travel where saner minds would otherwise not.

That said, I knew where I was going and had put precautionary measures in place before setting out.

Offline benjio

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
Sometimes,  obliviously in my case, a guy when sufficiently motivated by woman's allure, will travel where saner minds would otherwise not.

Ain’t that the truth!!!!!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 07:40:26 PM »
Ain’t that the truth!!!!!

I fancy myself as smarter than one, but sometimes, but my past behavior's been similar to the proverbial 'moth flying to the flame' at times, but p_ _ _ y, looks and certain female's allure were the burning 'flame.'

Offline Calipro

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »

I think mudd owns that website
He has quoted it a number of times

As far as the missing gringo
It is just fake news
Cant find a reputable news source that is carrying the story

Offline benjio

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 09:10:00 PM »
I think mudd owns that website
He has quoted it a number of times

It is just fake news

If there is some secret media campaign out there making up fake stories to scare pu$$y hungry gringos out of coming to Colombia, I’m all for it. I’d make up and write their stories for free.

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 04:21:39 AM »
Calipro said:
It is just fake news
I will go to bat here for Mudd and say that the story was sourced by another person on a different website. I can't remember if he had posted the news source or not but here it is, (sorry if its duplicate): www.minuto30.com/estadounidense-desaparecio-en-caldas-tras-visitar-a-su-novia/788344/
But as commented on the other site, it might be this 'gringo' had enough and decided to fade from Colombian existence!

Offline Calipro

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 02:28:33 PM »
Calipro said:I will go to bat here for Mudd and say that the story was sourced by another person on a different website. I can't remember if he had posted the news source or not but here it is, (sorry if its duplicate): www.minuto30.com/estadounidense-desaparecio-en-caldas-tras-visitar-a-su-novia/788344/
But as commented on the other site, it might be this 'gringo' had enough and decided to fade from Colombian existence!

Mudd has a real bad time differentiating between good information and bad

If Mudd posts it assume that it is false (UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISW) and you will be right more tumes than not

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Mudd has a real bad time differentiating between good information and bad

If Mudd posts it assume that it is false (UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISW) and you will be right more tumes than not

from the sex/ dating expert in cali and medellin  lol,  thats ok, i just report what i  see . if you have a problem with it, contact the person who wrote the article  at the news agency.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:53:35 PM by mudd »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »

from the sex/ dating expert in cali and medellin  lol,  thats ok, i just report what i  see . if you have a problem with it, contact the person who wrote the article  at the news agency.

I don't blame you folks if you don't believe me, but don't believe all the media stories, newspapers and especially social media posts. To an extent, you can and should 'consider the source' but even then you can encounter stories that are 'slanted' at best.

For example, the NY Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journan have great reputations for truth and integrity,  but nonetheless slant their view of events, their reporting, to the left.

Offline z_k_g

• Gimingaw ko sa akong uyab!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 07:10:17 AM »
Check the GF's bank account....
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other -"sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful-just stupid.) RAH

Offline Calipro

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »

Nothing persoanal Mudd but after all the BS you have posted over the years HELL NO ! I dont believe you jajaja

I dont even trust your sources at this point

Has anyone vaerified the story yet

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
Nothing persoanal Mudd but after all the BS you have posted over the years HELL NO ! I dont believe you jajaja

I dont even trust your sources at this point

Has anyone vaerified the story yet

I like the quote  from a guy called Jafo on the other site

"Show us Picture or it didnt happen"

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »
elex quoted:
I like the quote  from a guy called Jafo on the other site

"Show us Picture or it didnt happen"
Personally, I like this quote from the TV show 'Cops': "Don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see!"

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 04:50:52 PM »
I believe it. After all, I actually saw it on the radio.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
Back in the days of Poor But Happy, I used to regularly post English translations of the crime articles from El Meridiano de Sucre and El Meridiano de Cordoba. I also posted the links so anyone who didn't trust my translations could read it themselves. Talk about causing trouble.

There were two groups of posters who hated my posts. First, the Colombians who hated reading the truth about the common everyday violence that permeates Colombia. Second, the It's Safer than my own Neighborhood crowd of gringos. Most of Colombia is worse than the most hellish parts of St. Louis, Baltimore, Chicago or New Orleans etc but those guys were in major denial. Reading my posts was a reality check they couldn't handle without foaming at the mouth for a few days.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467