It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 2nd Trip to China and a Wedding!!  (Read 3045 times)

Offline mattman

• http://expat-matt.blogspot.com/
2nd Trip to China and a Wedding!!
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I haven't been too active here on the board over the past month or two, but wanted to give you all an update. I just got back from my second trip to China. We planned a wedding and managed to pull it off with only a few glitches. Many of you advised me that having a wedding in her country was a good idea. I have to give my most sincere thanks for that advice. Seeing her so happy in front her family and friends (500 guests total) was priceless. Earned me lots of points with the in-laws too. Memories that will last a lifetime.

All that aside it was a fun trip to northern China. I made lots of new friends again, and knowing the ropes of the travel aspect made the whole trip a breeze. My Chinese is improving thanks to a learning program and watching alot of Chinese TV and movies. I was actually complimented on my Chinese several times when I was there. I understand alot more than I am comfortable speaking, but managed to pull off some basic conversation, and knew when people were talking about me. Haha.

Pictures are below. I have hundreds, but picked a few to share with everyone. My buddies Lui and Biaxum were kind enough to take the camera from me and get some great shots.

Enjoy everyone,
Matt
"a man's past is not simply a dead history, an outworn preparation of the present: it is not a repented error shaken loose from the life: it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavors and the tinglings of a merited shame. - George Eliot, Middlemarch

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2nd Trip to China and a Wedding!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
Hi Matt,

Way to go & Congratulations!!!

It sounds like you had a blast. Hopefully I will be headed back to China in the next couple of months for my fiancee's K-1 interview and our wedding banquet. Did you just have a wedding banquet or did you go all the way and get the red book and make everything official as well?

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
Looks like you had a lot of fun! Congratulations!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »

Offline mattman

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:04:13 PM »
Did you just have a wedding banquet or did you go all the way and get the red book and make everything official as well?

We had a great time, and thanks for the congrats. We got the "Red Book" and everything. I visited the US embassy in Schengen to get my "permission slip/single status" and we were officially married in Changchun.

See the image below for us displaying our marriage licenses at the Govt office.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Matt
"a man's past is not simply a dead history, an outworn preparation of the present: it is not a repented error shaken loose from the life: it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavors and the tinglings of a merited shame. - George Eliot, Middlemarch

Offline catz

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
Congratulations! Best of luck to you both in the future.

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
Congratulations on your wedding, best wishes to both of you.

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »
Congrats Matt. Great pictures, too.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:50:30 PM »

Congrats and best wishes to you and your lovely bride!

Ray

Offline evoltnvii

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
Congrats I hope for the best for you and her
I drank what!!!!!!

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »
Hi Matt,

Congratulations to you and your lovely bride!

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline mattman

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the congrats and kind words. Many of you had a hand in this (whether you knew it or not) and should all give yourselves a pat on the back. This board has been an essential tool in this journey, and we're far from done yet. From the archives to the current Q&A posts, this board and it's members  have been an amazing resource. I've avoided many pitfalls and found the woman of my dreams.

It's difficult being apart again, but we are hanging in there. The webcam helps alot, but still difficult seeing her alone in a room that we shared only a short time ago. My second home is in Jilin City, and I'm looking forward to going back as often as possible even after we process the Visa stuff. Her home town is great and the City she lives in now is even more amazing.

So many great people, and so little time to greet them all. China is an amazing place with so many great people. Especially when you visit the more remote areas. You get the chance to dig in and load horse carts with wheat and corn. Reminds me of my Childhood. Good stuff, and no wonder we get along so good.

Take care everyone, and thanks again,
Matt

Offline Bear

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
Congratulations to the new family!!! 

I have to agree, it was one of my best decisions to marry there so that my wife could have closure with her family and life there.  And it gave me more time to see some of her culture and learn about her family.  I think you found it out too.  Don't know how I survived the next 50 weeks, giving her a laptop and getting a phone put in her families nipa hut so she could could get online at will really helped. 

Not sure how the culture of China compares to the R.P. but is she now living on her own or still with her family?  Since the R.P. is very poor it caused Honey lots of problems to stay with her family.  She finally moved out about 6 weeks before she got her visa.

The Bear Family

Offline mattman

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »
Hello to the Bear Family!!

You have been an awesome help on this journey, and have given me so much good advice.

My wife told me that if I "give her this day" she would "give me the rest of her life". I am so happy that I made the choice to give her that day in front of her family. It was priceless to see her so happy in front of family and friends. The banquet was 500+ people and everyone was so happy for her.

She lives in a small city of 1.5 million, but regularly takes a 10 hour bus ride to the small town where her family lives. Her parents visited us in the big city once after we got married. They came to see me off to the airport and we exchanged gifts. I took a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon to give to her Dad and he gave me a carton of smokes in return. It was a great exchange.

She still lives in her tiny apartment in the big city. We were so happy in her tiny apartment that she was ashamed of.  Makes me feel really bad in my 4 bedroom house with just me my son and the dog. I'm not a rich man, but she is looking forward to making my house a home. My living room is bigger than her whole apartment.

Her parents have given their blessing. They're only demands have been that we revisit the PRC every one or two years to visit them. I have no problem with that, and look forward to the chance to visit northern China anytime I can.

Jilin City is my second home and I have more friends there than I can count. The people are amazing, and I want to visit as often as possible.

Take care 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
Thanks Matt for pointing out the meaningfulness of getting married in your partner's home town in front of her friends and family. Compared to importing her on a fiance visa, she gets to keep a lot more face at home. It may taks a little more time, but the value to your new wife is immeasurable.

Many of use here on the Asian board have or are planning 2nd homes in our wife's home country. It's amazing how easily you can adapt to a culture that once seemed so foreign, but now you learn to respect. Just more fuel to the concept that you should first select a culture you enjoy, before deciding where to look for a wife.

Anyway, we're happy it is all working out so well for you.

- Jeff

Offline mattman

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Getting married in my Wife's hometown was absolutely priceless. The response from the friends and family was amazing. She was bouncing off the walls for days and so very happy. It may take a little extra time, but I highly recommend it.

Anybody considering a Fiance Visa should read this. Her family has welcomed me, and I love Jilin City. It is my second home. We plan to visit once a year. I love the place and can't even imagine living without a visit to Jilin City and the many villages ourside

Take care,

Matt

Offline Marshall K

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »
Hey Matt,
I'm so happy for you.  It's great to have the second home in China.  Mine is becoming more of a first home at this point.  You have gained a family in a country where family is everything.  Good luck on the immigration stuff.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 134