It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Freedom of Speech at GW/PL  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Freedom of Speech at GW/PL
« on: July 05, 2006, 04:01:39 PM »
Seeing as how the published Terms of Service were so popular, I thought it wise to address another 'sacred cow' here at GoodWife/Planet-Love.

Recently there have been claims of "censorship" and other less gracious terms used to describe the actions of the owners and moderators of GoodWife/Planet-Love. Some have leveled accusations that their First Amendment right to Freedom of Speech has been violated.

It may be useful to show the specific quotation regarding the First Amendment and Freedom of Speech - as follows:

* Quotation from the the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

What that says is that *CONGRESS* shall not pass laws to limit your ability to say what you like. GoodWife/Planet-Love is not Congress.

So you have the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want: on your own property, within the confines of your own space in accordance with the laws of the land. However, you do not have a constitutional right to say anything you wish on privately-owned websites, or privately-owned forums.

GW/PL is NOT Congress, and DOES have the legal right to prescribe what is to be discussed, and what is NOT, within the confines of this virtual space. Refer to the Terms of Service which prescribes acceptable behaviors.

If you have any question or doubt as to acceptability, I suggest you send me, or any member of the Forum Team, a PM *prior* to posting questionable material.

- Dan

Offline Luther

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Freedom of Speech at GW/PL
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:53:48 AM »
Thanks for this, Dan.

I am a forum owner myself, and it's kinda like owning a living room, all the furniture in it, the rug, the pictures on the wall. If someone comes into my living room and says insulting things to me or my wife or kids, or smears dirt on my wall, the Common Sense Bill of Rights says I have the right to, "Show him the door." Nothing to quibble about.

In fact, in my living room, I don't even have to be right. That's part of what freedom is all about.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 399