It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Travel to other countries with a green card  (Read 2263 times)

Offline no comment

Travel to other countries with a green card
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
My wife has been here in the US for a little more than a month and we recently got the green card in the mail.  If we were to travel to a European country, how would they regard her status with a Peruvian passport and the card? 

I've read the info regarding travel and re-entry to the US at the USCIS.gov site, but I'm wondering if anyone has traveled to Europe and what special Visa is required and would it cover all countries within the European Union?

Offline Kenrik

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Travel to other countries with a green card
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
As a green card holder, you are free to travel outside the US, & travelling outside the US temporary or briefly usually does not affect the permanent resident status. In the event you did not intend to make the US your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status.

Offline DesmondID

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
I do not know about Europe specifically.. We are making our first trip out of the country tomorrow to a British commonwealth Island. The rules for green card holders is basically the same for U.S. Citizens other than they had to be arriving directly from the US, the stay was limited to 30 days, and they had to show their return ticket if requested.

You can look up the visa requirements for each country you are planning to visit and they should have the LPR requirements/restrictions as well.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »
My wife travels all over with a green card, with me and by herself - however, it depends on the visa rules for the countries you are going to. Most will accept a US permanent resident the same way they accept a US citizen, particularly if they are traveling with a US citizen spouse. No problem getting home with her green card.

Offline no comment

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I had in mind a trip including Spain & England so there would be no problems with the languages.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
My wife traveled to Spain and Portugal with me while she was still just a permanent resident. We had to go to the Spanish consulate in Houston to get her a visa - it was a real pain in the ass because she had to show that she had enough money - in fact we had to show our marriage certificate so that they could include my resources with hers.

The good thing about it though is it's a Schengen visa which allows you to travel through all the countries of the European community.

Canada and Mexico both allow a US green card holder to visit without a visa. 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 201